PDA

View Full Version : Winter storage- how to handle meth in tank and fuel

gr8lover
11-23-2012, 11:21 AM
Almost ready to put up for the winter... but curious mainly about these two subjects:

how to handle meth left over in tank?.....
fill up fuel tank all the way or not important?...

I currently use 100% meth but not sure if i should drain it and flush somehow?... flush with what?.... leave empty?.... if you have meth and do something.... please let me know.... i am worried about the white crap that eventually gums up stuff.....

as for fuel.... many people say to fill up all the way with a has stabilizer to reduce condensation and stuff.... but since our tanks are plastic.... is it important to leave full or not important.... what do you do with respect to level?....

especially concerned about meth system.... not so worried about fuel... i personally dont think it matters on fuel level... but just curious...

thanks much!!!

wreckwriter
11-23-2012, 11:40 AM
Hmmmm... dunno. I'd say drain it.

gr8lover
11-23-2012, 11:55 AM
Hmmmm... dunno. I'd say drain it.

yea my thought was to drain it, and then flush it with distilled water or something.... not sure if there is something to better flush it go get residue out and make sure it doesnt gum up or anything,,,,

wreckwriter
11-23-2012, 11:58 AM
If its pure meth the residue should evaporate pretty quickly, no?

G8GT721
11-23-2012, 12:09 PM
I'm curious about meth too. As far as fuel I fill it up add a can of sta-bil and run for a few minutes and haven't had a problem and I had the car since new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

texn884
12-04-2012, 06:45 AM
Just send me the car Ill keep her warm, lol.

Drain it out

gr8lover
12-04-2012, 03:00 PM
Just send me the car Ill keep her warm, lol.

Drain it out

:) I wish I could send it out to Texas...

I ended up draining out and flushing some window washer fluid thru pump and lines... and will leave it in over winter...

Daniel Linnett
12-04-2012, 05:48 PM
If it's coming to Texas it can stay in my stable

gr8lover
12-04-2012, 08:39 PM
If it's coming to Texas it can stay in my stable

yea right...... knowing you, you would probably put a rocket engine on it or a something like that..... thats about the only thing you havent tried.... :).....

lol....

wreckwriter
12-04-2012, 09:01 PM
yea right...... knowing you, you would probably put a rocket engine on it or a something like that..... thats about the only thing you havent tried.... :).....

lol....

I think that's his next plan :)

MIEngineer
12-04-2012, 09:48 PM
Drop StaBil in the tank. I'll occasionally go fire the G8 up in storage too. Not concerned about much else since the place is heated...

EcoBrick Bob
12-05-2012, 04:51 PM
With E-10, And 4 boats + 2 cars that are stored 1/2 year, I leave as little in the tank as possible, and add lots of stabilizer - Blue stuff is best. I have done the boats for years with no issues. Stored both G8's One in HOT FL Summer and other in COLD IA Winter, the past 2 years, and they start perfectly. I do disconnect both battery terminals from everything. I also fill them up immediately after storage, and until full, I drive gingerly. Always fill with E-10 to absorb any water that has accumulated. No issues ever!

-Ray-
12-06-2012, 02:50 AM
If there is any ethanol in your gas, you want the tank as full as possible. The less fuel in a tank creates more condensation. Water and ethanol creates gunk. I wait until we have a week of freezing before I consider the G8 parked until spring.
I fill the tank and drop in some Stabil. I remove the battery for easy charging with my CTEK 3300. Then I cover the car.
I also pull the batteries from both tractors and take them to the shop where it's heated to above freezing. Again, full tanks and Stabil.
I need to dig out the snow thrower too.

MIEngineer
12-07-2012, 10:21 AM
Did not disconnect my battery this time, but going to go fire it up next week. Always use StaBil, i topped off everything.

It sits in minimum 55 degree dry storage. Great deal I could not pass up the last few years.

EcoBrick Bob
12-07-2012, 06:39 PM
Interesting discussion... My SEADOO dealer, boat storage dealer, and I have concluded that an empty tank ( or close) can be less detrimental, even if there is some condensation, as filling the tank with say 12-14 gal (45 gal in 502 boat) of new 93 E-10 will remove all water, and be better quality of fuel for the early summer fun. In SeaDoo's we also replace plugs after first tank is empty, as fogging cylinders causes them to have issues occasionally. Of course, my Boats and IA G8 sit for over 6 mo. in unheated garages. FL G8 is on jack stands from early May to late Oct. Garage temps likely exceed 100 deg. I do the same thing and so far have had no issues, and original battery is now 5 yr old... but White 08' only has 21K. I do over add stabilizer... and drive car with it mixed into fuel system for several miles before storage.

But.... whatever works for you... do it!

wreckwriter
12-07-2012, 06:44 PM
I don't do much of anything to mine. VP Fuel people told me that their fuel will easily last over winter in the tank and its proven to be true.

jonnynadeau
12-16-2012, 08:05 PM
91, full tank, 2x Stabil(one tank before storage and one as I store), I still need a cover but a cover and maybe a garage. Mine currently collects snow, I use the snow as a cover! lol

iPhone, Tapatalk, enough said!