PDA

View Full Version : AIS Water/Methanol Kit

hartigan85
11-17-2012, 10:07 AM
Brand: Alcohol Injection Systems
Price: 664.97
Purchased From: http://www.alcoholinjectionsystems.com/p101/Stage-1-Competition-Trunk-Mount-Water-Methanol-Injection-System/product_info.html

Installation: Moderate
Installation Time: 4 hrs (To do it right)
Any Installation Tips You Have: This kit is a custom mount kit so you have to figure out how you want to run the lines and mount the tank. Proper planning take some time. Here is a pic of my tank mounted. I have the stainless line secured to the frame rails using rubber lined clamps and self tapping screws. Any place the SS line come into contact with the fuel tank i have it covered with convoluted tubing. This will protect the fuel tank from being chaffed by the metal rubbing on it. I routed all my wires from the trunk, over the wheel well, under the door sills, under the kick panel, through the firewall grommet, and too the boost switch (Turns on the pump at the set boost level)

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/564612_4205774036249_474071047_n.jpg

Quality of Part: (rate 1-10) 10
Product Performance: (rate 1-10) 10
Would you Recommend to Others: If you are boosted...Most definitely. I was able to add 5* of spark at WOT using a mix of 51% Water/ 49% Methanol. This equates to big HP and track ET gains. I picked up .5 and 4 MPH at the track just from adding timing. WIN!!

Any Other Comments: My big motivating factor behind writing this review is AIS' customer service. When I ordered the kit I went with a Stage 2 progressive kit, I assumed it would be better. After placing the order AIS called me to discuss my choice, they told me because I was using a PD blower a Stage 1 non-progressive kit would work better. They had done tests on a blown 5th gen Camaro and found that the instant hit of full spray helped cool the big blower faster which helps get IAT lower faster. They convinced me to step down to a Stage 1 non-progressive kit, which saved me over $200. I was highly impressed that a company would go out of their way to make sure I was happy, even though it meant they lost over $200. You wont find many companies willing to do that anymore.

The system itself is very well made, the tank comes already assembled. The tank is huge holding 3 gallons, which means less fill ups and less worrying about running out. I installed the kit with a green activation light and red low level light in plain sight from the drivers seat. It is very important to know when the kit is on and even more important to know when the water/methanol is getting low. In this kit the low level light comes on when there is about 1 gallon of liquid left in the tank. I choose this custom kit because my car is still my dd and i wanted to keep my windshield washer fluid reservoir. I would recommend this kit to everyone looking for a Water/Methanol kit.

Kermit
11-18-2012, 02:37 PM
I was just reading on my local GTO forum that using meth on blowers would eventually deteriorate the polished parts (rotors) in the SC. Have you heard anything like that?

MIEngineer
11-18-2012, 03:47 PM
Well there are a lot of articles out there. Claims are that it "sandblasts" components to a degree.

TXBlownG8GXP
11-18-2012, 06:55 PM
Talk to someone with real world experiences not some BS. I ran an AIS kit (by the way, Julio does not recommend mixing water with methanol in his systems. 100% Methanol ONLY) for over 10k miles on my TVS 1900 and going on 35k miles on the 2300 with zero problems. I can't speak for other SC companies though.

Blanky
11-18-2012, 07:39 PM
I have heard of it eating rotors. Again no real life experience just what I've heard from someone very experienced

Doug Hilliard
11-18-2012, 08:01 PM
I've probably got 25k miles on mine with pure methanol with no issues I can tell so far.

Blanky
11-18-2012, 08:12 PM
Didn't Rick just have your tvs off and do some porting? I'm sure he would have seen any possible damage

Doug Hilliard
11-18-2012, 08:29 PM
Didn't Rick just have your tvs off and do some porting? I'm sure he would have seen any possible damage
Yes he did; everything looked fine.

hartigan85
11-21-2012, 08:20 PM
Where do you guys get 100% methanol from?

Dudewithfastcar
11-21-2012, 08:41 PM
I'm running 100% in my car. No probs here. Most speed shops sell 100%. I get mine from a guy that specializes in dirt track cars

Darkmanx
11-21-2012, 08:44 PM
find a local vp dealer.

hartigan85
11-21-2012, 09:47 PM
Nearest one of those is probably at least 1.5 hrs away. I hate living in the middle if bum fuck nowhere.

Edsel1134
11-21-2012, 10:07 PM
Any one done this to NA car?

-Ray-
11-22-2012, 03:54 AM
Any one done this to NA car?

There is no reason to. Booted air is heated when compressed. Ahis kit cools down the air entering.
A non boosted G8 should have a HSRK installed, plus a catch can.

G8GT721
11-22-2012, 05:53 AM
How many nozzles do you have and there location. how long is the meth lasting, is a low level light really needed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hartigan85
11-23-2012, 09:49 AM
I am using dual nozzles spaying 16gph. I am using a big shot to help cool down the blower. You being TT probably wont need such a big shot, but if you're interested call AIS and they will tell you what you need. Im not sure how long it last, I usually just add about 1 gallon every two weeks, I have never seen the low level light stay on yet. Yes the low level light is a must, especially if you are tuned for it, less fuel and more timing.

G8GT721
11-23-2012, 09:58 AM
Ok thanks, won't be till next year need to try new setup first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RxApple
11-23-2012, 11:12 AM
If this is added, will it require more fuel? I think with stock pump and BAP I'm close to running out of fuel and upgrading fuel pumps is not an option.

TooManyHobbies
11-23-2012, 12:35 PM
If this is added, will it require more fuel? I think with stock pump and BAP I'm close to running out of fuel and upgrading fuel pumps is not an option.

The same or slightly less fuel depending on how to tune it. Unless you pulley down at the same time.