PDA

View Full Version : Digital Torque Wrench - Holiday Special

brownlinemetalworks.com
11-12-2012, 01:55 PM
http://www.brownlinemetalworks.com/images/wrench.jpg

We ran this special last year, and had such a good response we decided to do it again for the upcoming Holiday Season.

The special is our Digital Torque Wrench w/ Blow Molded Case for $99 - including shipping. Just go to our website: Brown Line Metalworks, LLC | Professional Grade Digital Torque Wrench (http://www.brownlinemetalworks.com) and click on the "Buy Now" button. At checkout, enter the coupon code: grrrr8

You can see the torque wrench in action in the following video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEJsE2vlxxE&feature=player_detailpage

Product Specifications

Patented Double Gear Sensing System
Designed, engineered, and tested by Brown Line Metal Works, the patented* D.G.S.S. technology ensures repeatable accuracy of +/- 3.5% both clockwise & counter-clockwise
Accurate from 20 – 100% of full scale (7% accuracy from 10 – 20% of full scale)

Microprocessor Controlled
8-bit electronics ensures accurate readings and simplicity of use
Allows for both Peak and Track mode
Individually calibrates each wrench
Supplies unique serial number for each wrench

Ratchet Head
1/2" drive reversible ratchet
32-tooth gear provides an 11.25º arc while handling high torque loads
Forged from Chromium Vanadium alloy to ensure strength
Conforms to ASME B107.10 2005 standards

Range
15 – 150 ft/lbs
180 – 1,800 in/lbs
20.3 – 203 Nm

Digital Control
Large backlit digital display shows both target torque and current read-out
Intuitive button design makes operating torque wrench simple
LEDs and digital display provide visual feedback when operating wrench
Buzzer creates audible feedback when target torque is reached
Easily switch between ft/lbs, in/lbs, and Nm
Automatically powers off when not in use for 2 minutes
Low battery indicator

Handle
Soft-touch overmold provides comfortable non-slip grip
Engineered plastics ensure an impact resistant housing

The offer is valid till January 31st, and is only for the lower 48 states.

MIEngineer
11-12-2012, 02:27 PM
Are these made here?

Kaos
11-12-2012, 03:00 PM
Are these made here?

Subscribed...interested in the answer to MIEngineer's question.

Sent using Tapatalk for Android.

Kermit
11-12-2012, 03:35 PM
I was going to ask that question also. American Made?

brownlinemetalworks.com
11-13-2012, 08:25 AM
Are these made here?

The ratchet and the steel components of the wrench are manufactured in Taiwan, and the electronics and assembly are done in Malaysia. Our repair / calibration facility is located in Chicago in case anything ever needs to be done to the wrench.

BLMW

MIEngineer
11-13-2012, 08:59 AM
How does this compare to a Craftsman digital or even the base snap on etc?

wreckwriter
11-13-2012, 08:11 PM
This is a serious price reduction.... Looks like a super deal to me!

brownlinemetalworks.com
11-14-2012, 09:07 AM
Obviously, that is a little tricky since we are obviously biased. I would say that the main difference is the other companies use Strain Gauge technology to manufacture their wrenches, while we use a patented rotary sensor system. Our system is inherently inexpensive to manufacture, so we are able to offer it at a very attractive price.

Craftsman has a few different digital models, and if you want more specifics just let me know.

BLMW

MIEngineer
11-14-2012, 09:23 AM
I always like more specifics, it is in my nature :)

I do appreciate the details though, more often than not any questions regarding product get blown off by many when they get "defensive"...so it is nice to see a company offer up some benchmark / competitive information :)

I am looking for a wrench to keep in my truck / cars just to have handy, and I like the case / price.

My overseas craftsmans are OK but when they had both marked "ft-lb" where one should've had Nm, I was concerned...

I've seen the digitork, microtork etc. I actually have seen yours listed at Sears before as well...$99 shipped is the cheapest I have ever seen it.

Kermit
11-14-2012, 03:10 PM
I'll ask again, American Made? :)

LS1_Disciple
11-14-2012, 03:13 PM
I'll ask again, American Made? :)

Post #5

The ratchet and the steel components of the wrench are manufactured in Taiwan, and the electronics and assembly are done in Malaysia. Our repair / calibration facility is located in Chicago in case anything ever needs to be done to the wrench.

BLMW

jcmGT
11-14-2012, 03:32 PM
FYI .... (http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=26499&highlight=digital+torque) blast from the past

Eidolon
11-14-2012, 06:20 PM
I asked for and received one of these for Christmas last year, after the sale ended unfortunately. But it works very well, even actively measuring the torque you're applying as you apply it. Once you're done, it holds the peak torque value in its display so you can see what you applied. I use it because, as a digital device, I trust it to maintain a constant calibration more than I trust my spring-based mechanical Craftsman torque wrench.

I only have two complaints about mine:

When the torque value is high, such as the 125 lb-t for the wheel lugs, it will sometimes not actually latch the peak torque value but will instead display all 0's and latch that.
Once the peak value is latched - you have to press the "Memory" button once to clear it - the wrench will not register any torque you apply with it. So a quick caveat, make sure this isn't the case when moving from one bolt to the next, otherwise it's possible the wrench will not sound its alert on the second bolt and you'll blow past your intended torque value.

MIEngineer
11-14-2012, 06:40 PM
I believe a snap on I used previously had the same issue you listed in #2 until you went over the torque previously listed as the peak.

-Ray-
11-15-2012, 02:13 AM
I asked for and received one of these for Christmas last year, after the sale ended unfortunately. But it works very well, even actively measuring the torque you're applying as you apply it. Once you're done, it holds the peak torque value in its display so you can see what you applied. I use it because, as a digital device, I trust it to maintain a constant calibration more than I trust my spring-based mechanical Craftsman torque wrench.

I only have two complaints about mine:

When the torque value is high, such as the 125 lb-t for the wheel lugs, it will sometimes not actually latch the peak torque value but will instead display all 0's and latch that.
Once the peak value is latched - you have to press the "Memory" button once to clear it - the wrench will not register any torque you apply with it. So a quick caveat, make sure this isn't the case when moving from one bolt to the next, otherwise it's possible the wrench will not sound its alert on the second bolt and you'll blow past your intended torque value.

I think if they went to a 10 bit processor that would fix that and increase the accuracy.

brownlinemetalworks.com
11-16-2012, 08:20 AM
Holidays are coming quick - and our torque wrench makes a great gift!!

brownlinemetalworks.com
11-20-2012, 08:36 AM
Get yourself a great wrench at a great price!!

brownlinemetalworks.com
11-23-2012, 10:29 AM
Black Friday is here! Get your self a great gift and buy a torque wrench!

brownlinemetalworks.com
11-26-2012, 09:50 AM
Looking for a great holiday gift? Well you found it!

brownlinemetalworks.com
11-29-2012, 08:13 AM
Time is wasting! Get yourself a torque wrench.

MIEngineer
11-29-2012, 07:19 PM
Obviously, that is a little tricky since we are obviously biased. I would say that the main difference is the other companies use Strain Gauge technology to manufacture their wrenches, while we use a patented rotary sensor system. Our system is inherently inexpensive to manufacture, so we are able to offer it at a very attractive price.

Craftsman has a few different digital models, and if you want more specifics just let me know.

BLMW

More specifics :)

fixem2
11-30-2012, 07:18 AM
Actually looking at this as a good present to "ME", but being digital I worry about calibration. If dropped will it need calibrated? Need calibration every so many years?

MIEngineer
11-30-2012, 02:25 PM
You shouldn't drop any torque wrench....

In the case is probably passable...but I've never had good luck otherwise.

Interested in durability now too :p

brownlinemetalworks.com
12-03-2012, 10:05 AM
More specifics :)

Well, and I want to stress that this is the best of my knowledge as I don't own the Craftsman Digitals. They less expensive ones are actually "click-style" wrenches with a LCD display in place of the more traditional method of having the torque settings engraved in the handle. In theory, this makes it easier for the user to set the Torque since the numbers would be much easier to read on the LCD as opposed to the handle. Also, you can convert the Settings from ft.lbs to inch.lbs to Nm at the push of a button. Otherwise it is like a traditional "click-style" wrench - with the major drawback being that if you forget to zero out the wrench when storing it, the spring will deform and the wrench will lose calibration. Also, you have no way of knowing how much torque was actually applied, and no warning as to when you are approaching the Target Torque (making it easier to over-torque). The other versions are more traditional Digitals using strain-gauge technology. In regards to how the wrench operates, this one and ours are pretty similar.

BLMW

brownlinemetalworks.com
12-03-2012, 10:10 AM
Actually looking at this as a good present to "ME", but being digital I worry about calibration. If dropped will it need calibrated? Need calibration every so many years?

First off - technically you should check the calibration on ANY torque wrench after you drop it. They are precision instruments, and should be used as such. One difference between Digitals and non-Digitals is that with a non-digital version you have no way of knowing it if is out of calibration. With a Digital you can usually see on the LCD is it is really out of whack. In general, our wrenches tend to hold up very well to use/abuse.

In regards to Calibration, a lot depends on your needs or uses. If you are putting together aircraft engines, you are going to want to calibrate and check your wrench more often than if you are using it primarily for Lug Nuts. In general, we would recommend every 3K pulls.

BLMW

brownlinemetalworks.com
12-06-2012, 07:03 PM
Still looking for a great gift? Well here you go!

brownlinemetalworks.com
12-11-2012, 07:00 PM
Get a torque wrench - you won't regret it!

shytownvl773
12-12-2012, 12:44 AM
Whats the warranty in this item if any? Mine just went out. The screen glitches and numbers dont show up anymore. I bought this item last year from this forum.

fixem2
12-27-2012, 08:18 AM
I am looking at buying this item, but curious to the answer to the above post.

brownlinemetalworks.com
12-31-2012, 10:08 AM
I am looking at buying this item, but curious to the answer to the above post.

Our warranty is industry standard: 1 year from date of purchase, 90 days for calibration. Our repair/calibration facility is located in Chicago. We responded to the above issue via PM, and it has been taken care of.

BLMW

brownlinemetalworks.com
12-31-2012, 10:09 AM
The reaction has been really great, so we are going to extend the special for another month until 1/30.

Happy New Year.

BLMW

brownlinemetalworks.com
01-06-2013, 05:36 PM
Have some extra holiday cash? Well - buy a torque wrench.

brownlinemetalworks.com
01-13-2013, 07:13 PM
Grab one while you can!!

brownlinemetalworks.com
02-11-2013, 12:08 PM
Our sponsorship is coming to and end in a couple of days, so your last chance to get a wrench is 2/15. Don't miss out.