PDA

View Full Version : Rotation and balance

Chief
01-28-2009, 02:20 PM
Was thinking about this the other day as I'm approaching 5K miles on the car and I had a flat due to a nail.

With some of my old sports cars, I used to rotate and balance my tires every other oil change which was around 6k miles. I know that with my old Fiero Gt with a Koni suspension, I had to do it about every 5K miles a steh tires would start to go out of balance and you could feel it thru the steering wheel and suspension because of it being tighter.

So I was wondering if the same logic may apply to the G8. I ask this knowing that the factory suspension is tighter than most and also I have read of some of the vibration problems people have had and some of it was due to the tires.

So how often do you guys rotate and balance? Has anyone notice any problems by not rotating and balancing?

TIA.

-Ray-
01-28-2009, 02:33 PM
I have 17k miles on my G8 and I have not rotated the tires. Fronts are wearing fine. I expect some sort of staggered setup for my G8 this year.

SRG963
01-28-2009, 03:08 PM
I have 17k miles on my G8 and I have not rotated the tires. Fronts are wearing fine. I expect some sort of staggered setup for my G8 this year.

I've thought about doing this as well.

I rotated at 6k and 12k, now I plan just to let her ride :)

I had even wear both rotations.

jnak
01-28-2009, 03:31 PM
Now that I'm running winter rubber I won't be rotating at all. I'll probably get 8,000-10,000 miles on the winters, and 8,000-10,000 on the summers each year.

Chooch
01-28-2009, 04:19 PM
I actually rotated at 4k at each oil change. Dealer does a Mobil 1 Oil change and rotates for 85 bucks. And due the winter, letting them do it. So far tires show little wear, but when summer comes, may see increased wear now that I know CHuck Cow is local to me :)

locrzn#92
01-28-2009, 07:48 PM
Our policy at Big O tire is you should rotate every 5,000 miles. If you buy from us you get that free with the purchase. Even if you buy somewhere else, its proven that a rotate and balance will get you addition life from your tires. Inflation is really important as well as alignments. Your car will require a 4 wheel alignment, it would be good to rotate every oil change as some have said. If you run a staggered set up you can't rotate, you could go side to side if they aren't directional tires. If you run directional tires you have to rotate front to rear. Asymetric means you can rotate to any corner because the tire has an outside and inside tread design. Its designated on each tire where its mounting position is. Thats what I run on my g8gt.

Chief
01-29-2009, 06:46 AM
I'll probably keep up with the 5K rotate and balance. But now that I'm running Royal Purple, my oil changes are at 10K.

Glad to know that people have not had any problems without the rotations. As I said, in my old '85 Fireo GT, I could feel the tires starting to go out of balance around 5K. It actually afected the ride and handling. So I was just curious if anyone had similar problems with their G8 since I've seen some post about the vibrations and tire balance issues along with other issues.

99-LS1-SS
01-29-2009, 06:50 AM
My back tires never last long enough to rotate.

jeppsG8
01-29-2009, 08:01 AM
I must have a bad owners manual. I swore it said to replace the tires every 5,000 miles, which makes sense looking at them now after just 3k.

99-LS1-SS
01-29-2009, 08:07 AM
I must have a bad owners manual. I swore it said to replace the tires every 5,000 miles, which makes sense looking at them now after just 3k.
LOL! Exactly!