PDA

View Full Version : Nitrous and A/F ratio

Darracq
01-28-2009, 10:10 AM
Are these cars rich enough that i can put a small system on, say 75 hp. and not have to do any tuning, I have read they are pretty rich from the factory?

cobrakid
01-28-2009, 10:32 AM
.....I think if you spray a dry shot Pre MAF sensor, you will be fine.

I am planning on that later in the year.

Maybe somebody who has actually done this will chime in.

The meter compensates for nitrous accurately up to about a 150 shot.

I had this on my 02 Firehawk, as have others with various GM late model cars.

Darracq
01-28-2009, 11:41 AM
Cool, i would like to see who has done it also. I was thinking about runing a dry plate,

'02 ws6
01-28-2009, 06:40 PM
You could get away w/ a 75 shot probably, but I would never run a wet shot w/o tuning, especially w/ these plastic intakes. I've seen too many intakes blown to pieces due to a nitrous backfire.

I personally wouldn't go over a 100 w/ a dry setup, but that's personal opinion, not fact.

done12many2
01-28-2009, 07:31 PM
Are these cars rich enough that i can put a small system on, say 75 hp. and not have to do any tuning, I have read they are pretty rich from the factory?

It may not require a tune, but I would definitely check your A/F just to be on the safe side.

Darracq
01-29-2009, 02:06 PM
Ok thanks.

Ktlplxm
01-29-2009, 02:37 PM
Cool, i would like to see who has done it also. I was thinking about runing a dry plate,

With a plate you are not introducing it ahead of the MAF so it probably isnt the best idea. if you hard mount a single nozzle ahead of the MAF you should be fine.

East TX muscle cars
01-29-2009, 03:09 PM
Mount the nozzle before the MAF and stay at 100HP or under . Check the AFR, but you should be good to go. We actually don like dry kits but they have there place and do work. just make sure your AFR is good and stay under the 100 mark and you should be good to go for a long time. also if you need a Kit give us a call i can get you a dry kit! I have only a few that i actually sell on our web site

wreckwriter
01-29-2009, 03:19 PM
Why would you do it like this? Just to save the price of a tune?

Darracq
01-29-2009, 03:24 PM
With a plate you are not introducing it ahead of the MAF so it probably isnt the best idea. if you hard mount a single nozzle ahead of the MAF you should be fine.

The interface from hws will take care of the fuel side.

Darracq
01-29-2009, 03:26 PM
Why would you do it like this? Just to save the price of a tune?

I just hate the prices on these tunes, i am old school i wish i could just put a carb on it lol, I dont have much extra money, i know you got to pay if ya want to play. I could just get a wide band and tune with the interface i guess.

Darracq
01-29-2009, 03:29 PM
Mount the nozzle before the MAF and stay at 100HP or under . Check the AFR, but you should be good to go. We actually don like dry kits but they have there place and do work. just make sure your AFR is good and stay under the 100 mark and you should be good to go for a long time. also if you need a Kit give us a call i can get you a dry kit! I have only a few that i actually sell on our web site

Ok thanks i pretty much have it narrowed down what kit i want. i could change my mind though lol. sounds like a pre maf nozzle would be the chapest. But i have heard bad things both ways.

wreckwriter
01-29-2009, 03:43 PM
I just hate the prices on these tunes, i am old school i wish i could just put a carb on it lol, I dont have much extra money, i know you got to pay if ya want to play. I could just get a wide band and tune with the interface i guess.

I totally understand that but, if nothing else, you're leaving a ton of power on the table by not tuning for it.

'02 ws6
01-29-2009, 06:04 PM
But i have heard bad things both ways.

But I have heard way too many...GOOD things w/ a wet kit, good 'noids, and a solid tune!:)

Ktlplxm
01-30-2009, 06:43 AM
The interface from hws will take care of the fuel side.

How so? Does it increase fuel pressure for the necessary enrichment, is it "tricking" the computer into adding more fuel, or does it actually recalibrate the MAF signal for it?

Ktlplxm
01-30-2009, 06:47 AM
sounds like a pre maf nozzle would be the chapest. But i have heard bad things both ways.

This may not be the best place to go the cheapest route. Dry systems can be extremely effective, even up to 175hp, but ONLY with a tune above 100hp. The price of the tune would, after all, include everything that can be adjusted on the car; afr, 93 octane, shift points, firmness, torque management, DOD, etc...

Darracq
01-30-2009, 07:52 AM
How so? Does it increase fuel pressure for the necessary enrichment, is it "tricking" the computer into adding more fuel, or does it actually recalibrate the MAF signal for it?

I am not for sure, all i know is it adds fuel depending on the size on the shot.You could pr hsw if you want more info on it. When i get closer to doing something i will get more info and under stard more how it works. Lots of guys on ls1 like it.

Darracq
01-30-2009, 07:55 AM
This may not be the best place to go the cheapest route. Dry systems can be extremely effective, even up to 175hp, but ONLY with a tune above 100hp. The price of the tune would, after all, include everything that can be adjusted on the car; afr, 93 octane, shift points, firmness, torque management, DOD, etc...

If i use a dyno cant that be detected by the dealer?

99-LS1-SS
01-30-2009, 07:57 AM
If you get a tune while you are on the dyno it can but just getting on a dyno doesn't affect anything.

Darracq
01-30-2009, 08:05 AM
If you get a tune while you are on the dyno it can but just getting on a dyno doesn't affect anything.

Ya i was just thinking that, if i can addjust a/f when the nitrous is on with the interface then nothing would show up at the dealer.

G8-4-Speed
02-27-2009, 03:50 PM
As lean as mine was I wouldn't try it without a tune. Mine would spark knock with 20-21 degrees before I adeded fuel to it. If you are going to use a dry shot, make sure when you mount the nozzle to aim the nozzle toward the sensor as best you can to trick into seeing a little more airflow.

Matt TuneTime
02-28-2009, 06:47 AM
You guys are nut's for using a dry shot .. Just put a 100 wet no tune needed at all .. You be fine + safe + you not shooting shit through the MAF [ if it's dirty the car is lean ...]

'02 ws6
03-18-2009, 07:42 AM
You guys are nut's for using a dry shot .. Just put a 100 wet no tune needed at all .. You be fine + safe + you not shooting shit through the MAF [ if it's dirty the car is lean ...]

Agreed. I'm so conservative I wouldn't even go as high as 100 wet w/o a tune. I plan on going 150 wet though only because I have faith in my tuner.
BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104

Robert@KBXPerformance
03-18-2009, 12:44 PM
Post MAF, Wet, and tune it!

GTPprix
03-18-2009, 01:13 PM

x2!

Darracq
03-24-2009, 09:04 AM
more decisions lol. Tons of guys run dry systems why are they so bad, what about the post maf dry system the the interface to add fuel?

Steve@Vectormotorsports
03-24-2009, 10:47 AM
more decisions lol. Tons of guys run dry systems why are they so bad, what about the post maf dry system the the interface to add fuel?

I personally like the dry systems, especially for traction limited cars. Wet systems tend to lean flash which will shock the tires inducing wheel spin. Dry systems when tuned properly will engage much smoother plus you can pull the timing in the cal. Via IAT sensor. But everyone has there preference. :)

Matt@EFI-Alchemy
03-27-2009, 07:37 AM
I prefer to get wet and have a solid tune to back it up using a custom Os...

1GXP4ME
03-31-2009, 12:54 PM
get the compucar nitrous in a bag very easy and works well.

'02 ws6
03-31-2009, 06:04 PM
I prefer to get wet and have a solid tune to back it up using a custom Os...

Do I sense a bit of sexuality with this post? Wet....back it up...Os.....:screw: