PDA

View Full Version : Looking to do cut-outs on a stock exhaust

todds87ss
01-28-2009, 08:15 AM
Trying to find a place to put them. Anyone got this setup? I think I could get rid of the mid-muff there would be all kinds of room, but then I would suffer with drone with the cutouts closed. going farther down the pipe seems to defeat the purpose.
I want noise at the track, but stock at the house.
Thanks for any (almost:)) input.

Slizzo
01-28-2009, 01:17 PM
I think Mr. Penguin had cut-outs on his G8 (before it was mangled by a woman who was "getting on in her years".), I'm sure he'd chime in here if we can get him to about it.

wreckwriter
01-28-2009, 01:18 PM
I also investigated this, not a lot of places with straight runs of pipe long enough for high quality cutouts. But for sure RPenguin is the expert.

Tommy K
01-28-2009, 07:48 PM
If you're fear is drone with the muffler-resonator(technical name) removed... fear not. I'm running gutted cats... no sound change.... then removed the large resonator and replaced with stolen fox h-pipe... no sound change... then I went back and removed the two bullet resonators aft... OK, sound change. Sounds like a factory Nissan Titan, or like a ws6 bird... but NO drone at all!!! Even in DOD, it's whisper quiet. Add to that, the reduced backpressure netted awesome mpg gains.

So, long story short(too late), go ahead and hack out that large muffler deal and splice in your y-pipes with elec. cutouts. Will sound nascar at track, but stock quiet otherwise.

All of this is assuming you're running a stock exhaust now ;-)
My .04's worth

todds87ss
01-29-2009, 06:09 AM
Very nice. Thanks for the info...still looking for the peng to add to the debate. Surely the accident has not erased the memory of what was a famous (or now infamous) exhaust.