PDA

View Full Version : water/Methanol injection

wreckwriter
01-28-2009, 06:16 AM
seems like a good addition to any blown system. Anyone got experience?

http://www.alcoholinjectionsystems.com/index.html

http://www.snowperformance.net/index.php

13 QTR
01-28-2009, 06:30 AM
seems like a good addition to any blown system. Anyone got experience?

http://www.alcoholinjectionsystems.com/index.html

http://www.snowperformance.net/index.php

Yes...I do. Had meth injection on my built srt-4. I was spraying a dual nozzle setup.....1250cc's of meth. I had it set to come on at anything over 18psi of boost. I never had to run race gas to be able to run 24-30psi. It makes a difference...you can lean it out farther...I would sometimes go up to 12.5afr's. On a skittle..with pump gas,anything over 11.9 was getting hairy.
Just any example....3 dyno runs with the skittle at 28psi on a 50 trim.
1st run...no meth,11.7afr's....382whp/392wtq
2nd run...meth,11.5afr's.......395whp/408wtq
3rd run...meth, 12.4afr's.......406whp/414wtq

wreckwriter
01-28-2009, 06:33 AM
How long between refills? Obviously that depends on reservoir size but just looking for a clue, daily, weekly, etc.

13 QTR
01-28-2009, 06:41 AM
How long between refills? Obviously that depends on reservoir size but just looking for a clue, daily, weekly, etc.

For starters...you won't need 1250cc's( M6&M10)...maybe just a M6 nozzle. With the 2 nozzles...I'd get about 10 to 15 passes at the track. I had a 2 quart reservoir. Last time I bought any..meth it was $54 for a 5 gallon jug....I still have about 2.5 gallons left.
Look at the 'Coolinmist' kits....what I had.

KaiserM715
01-28-2009, 06:44 AM
Hot Rod ran an article on this in the recent issue. I think they used the Snow Performance system using 50/50 meth/water. I can scan the article if you like.

wreckwriter
01-28-2009, 06:45 AM
OK, thanks!

wreckwriter
01-28-2009, 06:45 AM
Hot Rod ran an article on this in the recent issue. I think they used the Snow Performance system using 50/50 meth/water. I can scan the article if you like.

If you can tell me whats on cover and/or month I should have the mag.

Rich@pm-fl.com
01-28-2009, 06:48 AM
We use Alkycontrol for all of our alcohol/meth installations. Great product, and great support.

http://www.alkycontrol.com

Kirk@VectorMotorsports
01-28-2009, 07:30 AM
We use Alkycontrol for all of our alcohol/meth installations. Great product, and great support.

The Alkycontrol and Snow are both good choices.

The only negative of the meth kit is if it fails or runs out of meth there can be trouble. Just spraying meth will not increase HP, the car must be tuned for the meth.

KaiserM715
01-28-2009, 07:31 AM
If you can tell me whats on cover and/or month I should have the mag.

It is the most recent issue mailed out. It is on that ZZ4 crate engine they have been working on. The Ring Brothers Camaro is on the cover, if I recall correctly.

wreckwriter
01-28-2009, 07:32 AM

The only negative of the meth kit is if it fails or runs out of meth there can be trouble. Just spraying meth will not increase HP, the car must be tuned for the meth.

Understood. looking at it for safety as well as power, more on the safety side so I would probably not want to tune to full potential (but then there's the "me" factor)

wreckwriter
01-28-2009, 08:00 AM
After the blower is on I'll see how much room is left for mounting a reservoir (don't want to lose ability to carry tires in my trunk).

13 QTR
01-28-2009, 08:06 AM

In a sense that's true...but a skittle is a AIT,Map sensor car...not just a MAF car.
In my 3 runs for example. ..
in the first run..28psi,timing is based on what the map reads+what the ait sees as charge temps....so it throws in the fuel based on that map table,then looks at charge temp to set the timing. when I ran the 28psi with no meth...it saw the psi and the temp,but also saw some detonation due to pump gas,so it pulled some timing.
On the second run(no changes to tuning) it saw a lower charge temp,cause the nozzle was 4 inches in front of the ait....so it added timing and with the meth the knock sensor saw no detonation....so no timing was pulled....so it made more power.
Of course the last run,witch I leaned out on the laptop...running abit leaner = more power. Just can't go much leaner.

13 QTR
01-28-2009, 08:08 AM
After the blower is on I'll see how much room is left for mounting a reservoir (don't want to lose ability to carry tires in my trunk).

My reservoir was in the engine bay....it just looked like another washer fluid tank....

East TX muscle cars
01-28-2009, 08:55 AM
We sell the A.I.S. systems, check them out on our web site. we have installed and dealt with snow, devils own, and Alkycontrol and decided to go with the AIS kit because of the great customer service, the EASE of installation! and the great price..o and also it carries a LIFETIME WARRANTY on all there parts!!!!! and you DONT have to buy the Meth from them to get it!

wreckwriter
01-28-2009, 08:58 AM
My reservoir was in the engine bay....it just looked like another washer fluid tank....

My bay is going to be pretty tight after the install. Seems there should be room but will have to see.

ronbuick
02-01-2009, 04:49 PM
Alkycontrol here,most all of the Buick guys uses Julio's kit, very nice and the tech support to go with is the best, again just my 2cents, thanks.

Ron

TY2185
02-01-2009, 05:14 PM
Alkycontrol here,most all of the Buick guys uses Julio's kit, very nice and the tech support to go with is the best, again just my 2cents, thanks.

Ron

I agree with the above.
I have had his system on my Typhoon for the last 5 years.
I can run 93 pump gas and high boost (20-22lb's) and it keeps the knock away.

R.Penguin
02-01-2009, 08:51 PM
I still have about 2.5 gallons left.

Mix it with Mt. Dew over ice. :p

It's A G8!
02-01-2009, 09:18 PM
I have the snow kit and I like it! I also bought the safety kit in case I ran out of meth. It would retard the timing. It was an extra 100 bucks but well worth the piece of mine.

wreckwriter
02-02-2009, 05:35 AM
I have the snow kit and I like it! I also bought the safety kit in case I ran out of meth. It would retard the timing. It was an extra 100 bucks but well worth the piece of mine.

I don't believe the safety kit would work on our cars due to timing being computer controlled.

It's A G8!
02-02-2009, 02:39 PM
I don't believe the safety kit would work on our cars due to timing being computer controlled.

I have it set for reducing timing on my truck,but you can also have it set to open your bypass valve on the supercharger.

http://www.snowperformance.net/product.php?pk=13

wreckwriter
02-02-2009, 04:18 PM
I have it set for reducing timing on my truck,but you can also have it set to open your bypass valve on the supercharger.

http://www.snowperformance.net/product.php?pk=13

Interesting. Wonder if that would work on ProCharger?

wreckwriter
02-25-2009, 04:17 PM
We sell the A.I.S. systems, check them out on our web site. we have installed and dealt with snow, devils own, and Alkycontrol and decided to go with the AIS kit because of the great customer service, the EASE of installation! and the great price..o and also it carries a LIFETIME WARRANTY on all there parts!!!!! and you DONT have to buy the Meth from them to get it!

That stuff is sweet but price is way out, especially considering I would need at least:

stage 2 trunk mount kit
Optional dual nozzles
optional braided hose
optional low level indicator

That would put it close to a grand, maybe over :(

Kermit
02-26-2009, 07:02 AM
Wreck,
I have an old Devilsown kit that I won for my GTP Grand Prix that is still sitting my my garage. I'm not using it and maybe you can benefit from it. Let me know if you may be intrigued.

wreckwriter
02-26-2009, 07:29 AM
Wreck,
I have an old Devilsown kit that I won for my GTP Grand Prix that is still sitting my my garage. I'm not using it and maybe you can benefit from it. Let me know if you may be intrigued.

I might be intrigued :) What kit do you have?

Kermit
02-26-2009, 07:52 AM
I'm not 100% sure but it looks like this one.
http://www.alcohol-injection.com/water-injection-kits-1/pontiac-25/3800-stage-2-50.html

Remember it was for my 3800 SC engine but I would think most of the main parts are the same. I can scan the directions to you if you want.

The only thing I see differently from the 3800 model and the ls1-7 kit are the nozzles.

wreckwriter
02-26-2009, 07:57 AM
I'm not 100% sure but it looks like this one.
http://www.alcohol-injection.com/water-injection-kits-1/pontiac-25/3800-stage-2-50.html

Remember it was for my 3800 SC engine but I would think most of the main parts are the same. I can scan the directions to you if you want.

The only thing I see differently from the 3800 model and the ls1-7 kit are the nozzles.

I'd love to look at the instructions if its not too much trouble. Trying to learn all I can about these things if nothing else.

Having some difficulty finding a kit that has everything I want. I want a fairly large trunk mount tank and I plan to run the line under the car so I think braided line is best. The kit that East Texas Muscle has looks closest (with optional parts) but the tank is a bit smaller than optimum.

Kermit
02-26-2009, 08:24 AM
PM me your e-mail address and I'll see what I can do with scanning you the directions.
As for not finding a kit that has everything you need, you might have to put something together from scratch. This might help in that endeavor.

Matt TuneTime
02-27-2009, 06:13 AM

Yes sir the best . No cheap crap , Nylon line is out ..All braided with brass fittings . We install at least 2 a week . + you can run stright meth with it un like others [ question why put any thing in a motor that will not combust ? ] .

The only negative of the meth kit is if it fails or runs out of meth there can be trouble. Just spraying meth will not increase HP, the car must be tuned for the meth. Not true it will lower IAT there for reduce the amount of timing pulled .. But yes you stand to gain alot more hp through an agressive spark map .

After the blower is on I'll see how much room is left for mounting a reservoir (don't want to lose ability to carry tires in my trunk). Having done a lot of upgrades to the Procharged G8 from GM hightech you will see a trunk mounted tank on that car , On my own car we installed a small over flow tank for my coolant and used that tank for my Meth .

My bay is going to be pretty tight after the install. Seems there should be room but will have to see.
See above .

Fyi Our stock fuel pumps are good to about 460 rwhp Then add MSD boost a pump there good to 525 .. Add some meth 550 [ I don't advise the meth to carry a taxed fuel system but you can do it , Or 550 + with fuel pump upgrade [ we have a fuel pump upgrade in testing now ]

Hey Guys I haven't been here in a while .. So Hey .

GRRRR8
02-27-2009, 06:49 AM
Hey stranger! Welcome back.

mpostr
03-04-2009, 12:58 PM
there is another way that has been around since the 40's with fighter planes. We use to run this setup on a turbo datsun and it worked flawlessley. The ides came from a guy by the name of "turbo Tom" in atlanta. He use to turbocharge Datsuns and they would make 400 plus whp in the late seventies and eighties. Here's how it works. You will need a stainless tank that holds between 1/2 and 3/4 gallon of fluid . At the top where the lid srews on (picture a big pickle jar but stainless with a rubber sealed screw on stainless cap) and in the top of the canister there is a line in that pressurizes the tank (this comes from the intake manifold positive pressure under boost). Now at the bottom of the tank there is another line out (directly center outside bottom) with a check valve that has a spring that is psi rated, this is connected to a cork screw type brass fitting (for misting instead of dumping) that is hooked in behind the throttle body (almost like nitrous) when the car hits a certain amount of boost it pressurizes the bottle which opens the check valve determined by the lb spring you put in and a fine mist od denatured alcohol and distilled water mix with the air and fuel in the intake plenum. This set up can be researched online and it is mechanical which is beautiful. Old non intercooled turbo cars and planes used this and it is very reliable. 20 lbs of boost , one entire race season, and the cleanest damn pistons at tear down(end of season) you've ever seen

mpostr
03-04-2009, 01:04 PM
http://www.turbomirage.com/water