PDA

View Full Version : Tuner Questions

GEE8GEETEE
01-27-2009, 08:56 AM
I want to purchase the VMS ECM/TCM Tune along with the NEP OTR. What kinda of details do people usually provide when ordering, and what specs can you customize if any ? I'm also confused if I should get the Stealth Tune. At first i was thinking of getting an additional ECM so if i have to take it to the dealer i can just swap them and avoid any problems. Does the stealth tune basically make the tune hidden to dealers ? If so, then i guess getting an additional ECM would be pointless. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Kirk@VectorMotorsports
01-27-2009, 09:20 AM
I want to purchase the VMS ECM/TCM Tune along with the NEP OTR. What kinda of details do people usually provide when ordering, and what specs can you customize if any ? I'm also confused if I should get the Stealth Tune. At first i was thinking of getting an additional ECM so if i have to take it to the dealer i can just swap them and avoid any problems. Does the stealth tune basically make the tune hidden to dealers ? If so, then i guess getting an additional ECM would be pointless. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Give us a call, we can answer any questions you have.

Mike P
01-27-2009, 09:32 AM
Yep, give them a call. Once you get your ECM/TCM tune & CAI you'll be happy.

But then you'll want LT Headers.... It's a vicious cycle... :)

GEE8GEETEE
01-27-2009, 10:23 AM
I'm already starting to see this.....this will be the 5th purchase in the last week. I wish I could get LT headers, but i don't wanna have problems with NJDMV

GEE8GEETEE
02-09-2009, 10:01 AM
Since I got the ECM Core outright, I won't have to do the relearn correct ? Also, waht is the reason for disconnecting the battery to install the OTR Intake ?

wreckwriter
02-09-2009, 10:05 AM
Since I got the ECM Core outright, I won't have to do the relearn correct ? Also, waht is the reason for disconnecting the battery to install the OTR Intake ?

If you bought a new ECM, you WILL have to relearn. Look for someone near you that has a dashhawk or find a shop with a Tech 2 unit.

disconnecting battery is just a safety precaution. Anytime you're working under the hood its not a bad idea.

GEE8GEETEE
02-09-2009, 10:16 AM
Crap, I thought you only needed to do the relearn if you did the core exchange for some reason. Hope I can find somebody with a dashhawk now and even understand how to do this whole procedure.

wreckwriter
02-09-2009, 10:20 AM
Its very simple, just need a DH or Tech 2 to do it. Might be other things which can do it too?

wreckwriter
02-09-2009, 10:21 AM
the only way to tune without relearn is to flash your original ECM.

GEE8GEETEE
02-09-2009, 10:47 AM
Oh ok. Hope what is easy to you is easy to me.

r33pwrd
02-09-2009, 10:53 AM
You only have to do the relearn once... If you cant find anyone with a dashawk let m eknow... there is a few TBSS guys in your area I think.

GEE8GEETEE
02-09-2009, 11:01 AM
I've sent a few PM's around with no responses yet, but I definitely will need one.

GEE8GEETEE
02-11-2009, 09:20 AM
Will anything happen if I drive around without performing the relearn ?

KaiserM715
02-11-2009, 09:37 AM
Will anything happen if I drive around without performing the relearn ?

If I recall correctly, a check engine light.

GEE8GEETEE
02-12-2009, 01:48 PM
This sucks.......So I've now been sitting here with my new ECM that I can not install yet since I don't have a Dashhawk. Going on almost 2 weeks now. Please, somebody who has one near me, please PM me and help me out.

g8_795
02-12-2009, 07:22 PM
Dude,
Install the thing. I did the same thing and no body would come through for me. Installing the ECM will not cause any problems but just a CIL. I eventually went to the dealer and played dumb. They pulled the error and did a crank relearn and said if it happened again it may be a sign of a serious problem. I smiled and went on my way.

Install it tonight. There will be no problems. You will be happy you did.

PM me if you have any concerns.

-Robert

Kermit
02-13-2009, 08:02 AM
Do what G8 795 said or reply to my PM and we can work something out. I hate to see a fellow G8er not having the chance to enjoy his car. :)

knee_dragger
02-13-2009, 10:34 AM
This sucks.......So I've now been sitting here with my new ECM that I can not install yet since I don't have a Dashhawk. Going on almost 2 weeks now. Please, somebody who has one near me, please PM me and help me out.

Let me know if you still need one. I'm an hour away (Mount Holly, NJ) but could meet you some where.

EcoBrick Bob
02-13-2009, 02:17 PM
If you try to install it and it's never been in another car, it will start the car and you won't have to do the key re-learn. My VMS ECM purchased 4/08 fell into that category. I attempted to do the key re-learn twice before I got on the internet and found out why I didn't need to do this. NOT IN VMS INSTRUCTIONS at that time. If it has been in another vehicle it won't start without key re-learn. Either way, you have to do the crank re-learn to make it function properly.

Believe me.... it will be worth all your trouble. Couldn't live without it now!

GEE8GEETEE
02-14-2009, 07:35 PM
After i installed the new ECM, i didn't have to do the security or crank relearn. Everything is fine for some reason. No check engine light or nothing.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
02-14-2009, 09:14 PM
It's cool that it worked without a hitch. I found it funny that you waited around 2 weeks when you could have been enjoying it!

GEE8GEETEE
02-14-2009, 10:08 PM
Not finding that very funny.:spank:

DRCUSTOMPARTS
02-14-2009, 10:14 PM
"He who hesitates is lost" - Swift and resolute action leads to success; self-doubt is a prelude to disaster.:nah:

codydog
02-15-2009, 05:31 PM
I like to have an exrtra ecm. I bought the dashhawk for performance value. But I works great at the case relearn. You are set each way you go. I'll let anyone borrow my dashhawk with good faith deposit.

Devilish34
02-18-2009, 10:29 AM
After i installed the new ECM, i didn't have to do the security or crank relearn. Everything is fine for some reason. No check engine light or nothing.

How do you like you VM tune? Is it a noticeable difference

GEE8GEETEE
02-19-2009, 10:24 AM
Absolutely......but it's not complete without my TCM Tune which i will be doing this weekend

Devilish34
02-21-2009, 08:05 PM
Absolutely......but it's not complete without my TCM Tune which i will be doing this weekend

I'll be sending you a pm with some questions. I'll probably be ordering mine this week. :devil:

GEE8GEETEE
02-22-2009, 01:54 PM
No problem.....Tune is complete......all i can say is Wow !!

Devilish34
02-22-2009, 05:20 PM
No problem.....Tune is complete......all i can say is Wow !!

Did you have to rent the cables for the TCM or??

GEE8GEETEE
02-23-2009, 07:46 AM
Yeah...I answered all your question on PM....ant more let me know.