PDA

View Full Version : A6 ATTACK Trans tuning by Chuck CoW

GRRRR8
01-26-2009, 08:14 AM
I was at Vararam this past Saturday and Sunday and got to meet a really cool guy by the name of Chuck Mosello aka Chuck Cow of Corvettes-of-Westchester. There were a lot of Vettes at Vararam for Chuck to tune and I hung out and watched and learned as I feel I have a 4 door Vette. :) When he was done Saturday night he offered to reprogram the car like he does the Corvettes so I could give him my opinion on what I thought. All I can say is WOW!!!! It is not the same car at all. In normal mode, as you ease the gas it will down shift 1 gear at a time which is awesome for your everyday commutes. In manual mode it will automatically down shift with out touching the shifter. Everyone knows my car is fast, but now I will go to the track before I do anything else to see just how fast. The shifts at WOT are tire smoking firm. It was really cool for him to spend Saturday night and Sunday morning dialing the car in. Thanks Chuck! If you are in his area or are interested give him a call and say Charlie sent you!

Corvettes of Westchester 914-332-0049

jeppsG8
01-26-2009, 08:45 AM
Sounds awesome Charlie! I'm looking forward to some good tune updates when the VR gets rolled out. I'm not sure yet what tune to get, but I definately want something that will take advantage of the VR.

Thanks Chuck for helping us get the most out of our 4 dr Vettes.

GTPprix
01-26-2009, 09:09 AM
Told ya ;)

SRG963
01-26-2009, 09:10 AM
So which provides the better tuning, EFI or HPT?

GRRRR8
01-26-2009, 09:20 AM
I think they both have there advantages, but neither one is any good unless you have the experience of a Chuck, Kirk, Chris, Mike etc.

GRRRR8
01-26-2009, 10:42 AM
I forgot! No more DOD or TQ management.

jbradG8GT
01-26-2009, 11:30 AM
yeah the tune really woke the car up....I went from the crappy stock tune to Chuck's and it made a huge difference...problem now is that I can't keep my foot out the gas...too much fun. Hell even my wifed liked it...she drove it saturday and now wants to keep my car....not gonna happen

99-LS1-SS
01-26-2009, 11:35 AM
yeah the tune really woke the car up....I went from the crappy stock tune to Chuck's and it made a huge difference...problem now is that I can't keep my foot out the gas...too much fun. Hell even my wifed liked it...she drove it saturday and now wants to keep my car....not gonna happen

Let her keep it and get a GXP!!!

jbradG8GT
01-26-2009, 11:38 AM
Let her keep it and get a GXP!!!

She did say I could trade our tahoe in a get a vette, and she would keep the car!!!! but she knows i can't do that right now because I get a car allowance with the current job I have and the policy states that I have to have a multi passenger vehicle. But I won't let her forget about it and as soon as I get promoted the vette is mine :woohoo:

GRRRR8
01-26-2009, 11:44 AM
I sure hate to see that Vette get beat by a 4 door! :nah:

G8GXP4now
01-26-2009, 11:44 AM
Must be the lack of torque management that "wakes up" the car. Do you have the "secret intake" installed as well?

GRRRR8
01-26-2009, 11:53 AM
Yes he has a production unit from Vararam.

GeorgeInNePa
01-26-2009, 11:54 AM
Must be the lack of torque management that "wakes up" the car. Do you have the "secret intake" installed as well?

It's not a secret any longer.

Go here:

http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=3304

'02 ws6
01-26-2009, 11:57 AM
Damn. I got fairly excited when I saw your post initially Charlie, w/ you being near Houston. I'm up near Amarillo and that would make a nice roady trip to Houston enjoyable. At first I guessed there was a Westchester I had never heard of......'til I googled them, and found the city state @ the bottom of the page. I know I won't be going to NY anytime soon! :confused2:

GeorgeInNePa
01-26-2009, 12:02 PM
I'm 120 miles from Ossining, NY.

;)

'02 ws6
01-26-2009, 12:11 PM
^Fine then. You get your TCM tuned by Chuck, and then we'll pretend a band of NY heathens broke into your car, stole it, and for some strange reason........ mailed it to me! :secret:

GRRRR8
01-26-2009, 12:14 PM
LMAO!! I believe Chuck does mail order tunes also. Give him a ring.

'02 ws6
01-26-2009, 12:33 PM
^ Good to know! Now....uh......where's the TCM if I chose that route? lol :spank:

GRRRR8
01-26-2009, 12:37 PM
^ Good to know! Now....uh......where's the TCM if I chose that route? lol :spank:

In the trans. I think they reflash it with a tool so you dont have to remove it.

'02 ws6
01-26-2009, 12:39 PM
^oh like the VMS? Good deal, bonus check comes on Feb 12 so I'm going mod heavy. Thanks for the info and the review!:rocking:

The Commodore
01-26-2009, 12:48 PM
I thought removing the TQ managment was a little risky for the trans. Unless the converter takes the brunt of the force.

GRRRR8
01-26-2009, 12:51 PM
Not at all. Any mods can be a risk. I wanted all I could get out of the car and this is a BIG step to that by getting rid of TQM.

Featherburner
01-26-2009, 06:18 PM
I'm 120 miles from Ossining, NY.

;)I'm 93 miles. Wanna race? :devil:

Chuck CoW
01-26-2009, 09:19 PM
http://www.corvettes-of-westchester.com/FORUM%20HOSTING%20SPACE/CoW%20ANIMATED%20BANNER.gif

Chuck CoW A6 ATTACK TRANSMISSION TUNE by MAIL!

Hey guys, while removing the PCM on a G8 is pretty easy, I thought I would share a really neet way to get my A6 ATTACK tune for your car even though you might not be close to Corvettes of Westchester.

One of the guys on the Corvette Forum was nice enough to PHOTO DOCUMENT his experience removing the TRANSMISSION CONTROLLER from his C6 Corvette....As far as things go, the procedure shouldn't really be any different than the G8.

One word of caution...This is NOT for everyone. Only those with proper tools and skills should try this. For anyone needing help please feel free to call me any time.

Here's the link....
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-tech-performance/2115465-cow-a6-mail-order-tune-removal-made-easy.html

http://www.corvettes-of-westchester.com/FORUM%20HOSTING%20SPACE/SUPER%20COW%20A6.jpg

http://www.corvettes-of-westchester.com/FORUM%20HOSTING%20SPACE/Flyers/mailtunef.jpg

Chuck CoW

G8GXP4now
01-27-2009, 09:30 AM
Okay, I will be the one to ask.

How is the Chuck COW transmission tune different from the Vector transmission tune?

GRRRR8
01-27-2009, 09:56 AM
It is explained in this thread.

'02 ws6
01-27-2009, 07:02 PM
Any chance in the near future, Chuck, you will be doing a renter flash tool w/ the program preloaded?

JBsC6
01-28-2009, 07:46 AM
I read that Chuck travels the united states doing tunes. I'd imagine eventually he'll be at an event near you.

Tuning the tranny sounds like a cool way to go on the G8. Nice description on how it improved the driving experience.

Chucks a nice guy. I'm not far from the corvettes of westchester and visited his shop in the past.

tranny tuning is probably a good mod for the G8. I had that done on my 99 C5 corvette and it really made it a lot more fun to drive.

With a cold air intake and a pcm tune I moved the 99 c5 from 13.5 @ 104.5 mph to 12.88 @ 109.5 down at englishtown raceway and it was consistant as hell. .

it was cheap and easy ...

I'd do it again in a heartbeat if I buy a G8 GT

MGMG8GT
01-28-2009, 03:13 PM
You come down to Texas, Chuck, and I have a easy sale for you.

'02 ws6
01-28-2009, 07:43 PM
I read that Chuck travels the united states doing tunes. I'd imagine eventually he'll be at an event near you.

Well he was in TX this past weekend, but down in Pasadena (I'm in Amarillo, so 10+ hrs away) @ the VaraRam facility. I was in DFW the weekend before, but I guess the planets didn't want to align for me!:bm:

1BDG8GT
01-30-2009, 02:41 PM
the prices for the A6 ATTACK tune is $399.00 by mail and $499.00 drive in.It is worth every penny.Planning on a G8 day here in New York by the end of February at Corvettes of Westchester make plans to travel.Exact date by next week.Come one Come all.call for info on drive in benefits 914-332-0049

MtbDoc
01-30-2009, 03:05 PM
This has GOT to be more than JUST the A6 tune! You must be referring to a full ENGINE and tranny tune, yes?

1BDG8GT
01-30-2009, 03:10 PM
everything gets changed,shift points ,rev limiter and so on

PostalCherokee
01-30-2009, 04:37 PM
Okay, I will be the one to ask.

How is the Chuck COW transmission tune different from the Vector transmission tune?

I'm with him on this one. Is Chuck doing something that Vector can't? Just curious?

GRRRR8
01-30-2009, 05:09 PM
Well Vector has Flash express so thats a HUGE plus. Vector can turn off all of your TQ Management as well and that too is a HUGE difference in how the car performs, it just might not be for everybody. To do a fair comparison, Chuck has both of my stock tunes saved and I will reflash with HP Tuners to stock and get a maximum effort tune from Kirk when he comes to Texas. Chuck had my car in his hands, Kirk never has. Both are great tuners, but to be fair, Kirk will tune my car in person and then we can do a comparison.

PostalCherokee
01-30-2009, 05:18 PM
Ok. Looking forward to the comparison.

GeorgeInNePa
01-30-2009, 06:37 PM
Well Vector has Flash express so thats a HUGE plus. Vector can turn off all of your TQ Management as well and that too is a HUGE difference in how the car performs, it just might not be for everybody. To do a fair comparison, Chuck has both of my stock tunes saved and I will reflash with HP Tuners to stock and get a maximum effort tune from Kirk when he comes to Texas. Chuck had my car in his hands, Kirk never has. Both are great tuners, but to be fair, Kirk will tune my car in person and then we can do a comparison.

But by then you will have the cam and converter installed, correct?

It will be a completely different animal.

;)

GRRRR8
01-30-2009, 08:32 PM
True, but I am really only judging the trans. I could pic 5 people and put my car in their hands and the HP/TQ would all be VERY close. Its the trans thats in question as far as the tune.

GeorgeInNePa
01-30-2009, 08:42 PM
I will agree that the difference is night and day when I had Kirk turn off the TM in my tune.

The bark into 3rd is a smile maker, every time.

Cashed
02-05-2009, 01:10 PM
I need my Trans tuned BAD. I would prefer a local shop to do it. Preferrably, someone that has experience tuning A6's. And preferrably someone in the DFW area. Suggestions?? I like what Chuck CoW is offering, but I prefer to have it tuned in person rather than via the mail.

Chooch
02-07-2009, 02:35 PM
Ok so Chuck is like 25 minutes from me. I am really interested in his tune, but from a driveline prespective, knowing there is always a mode risk, will this overstress the transmission, diff etc.. in any way? ALso if someone can tell me, since my wife does drive the car every so often, will it be just too much for a casual drives? Maybe this could sum up the question better, Leave the standard mode the same, tune the sport shift, and make manual like a war horse. Not sure if that is possible

CanadianEh
02-07-2009, 03:26 PM
You can make each mode work differently. Most people make drive so it is still perfectly fine for daily driving and then make sport mode/manual the seat of your pants modes. I think 75-50% is common torque management numbers for drive and anything from 0-30% for sport/manual depending on your tastes.

I know the transmissions are rock solid in these cars but personally I dont plan to totally eliminate torque management in sport/manual. When I get my car tuned I am thinking about 20% for sport and 10 or 15% for manual.

Chooch
02-08-2009, 06:14 PM
I figured that, just want to make sure those can be independently tuned for each mode on the transmission. Only way to find out is stop by and ask. Maybe will do this sometime in the next 2 weeks

Art708
02-09-2009, 04:18 AM
Charlie, you need to get that beast to the track. All these great mods don't mean much without some actual track comparisons. Get that thing to the strip so we can see what all these different tunes are doing.

Chuck CoW
05-28-2009, 11:58 AM
Ok so Chuck is like 25 minutes from me. I am really interested in his tune, but from a driveline prespective, knowing there is always a mode risk, will this overstress the transmission, diff etc.. in any way? ALso if someone can tell me, since my wife does drive the car every so often, will it be just too much for a casual drives? Maybe this could sum up the question better, Leave the standard mode the same, tune the sport shift, and make manual like a war horse. Not sure if that is possible

Hey man. Not to worry... This tune has amazing performance and even better driveability....

Short of doing "Neutral Drops" like we did back in highschool, you're not gonna hurt it....

I've tuned tons of these cars with fantastic results.

Call me any time.
Chuck CoW

ChicagoG8GT
06-16-2009, 09:03 AM
nvrmind

procsG8
08-13-2009, 01:15 PM
Chuck did my vette a few years ago. I made a whole lot people mad on the corvetteforum. His tune was great and everyone was surprise about how will my car ran.

Chuck you should hook me up so I can show how good your tune is:)
Looking to take my G8 to the track for the first time tomorrow.
This is Malcolm with the blue c5 Z06

Buddy A
08-24-2009, 02:07 PM
Chuck's tunes definately wake the cars up. He did my Vette a couple of years ago. Now my wife wants her G8 tuned. Pretty soon I'll need to get Check's laptop plugged into the G8 to wake that car up.