PDA

View Full Version : Panther Black G8 owners

99-LS1-SS
01-24-2009, 04:08 PM
Do any of you regret getting black? Is it a pain to keep clean? I know most of the time black is hard to keep clean but this has some metal flake in it and that changes the color a little. What are your opinions? Thanks.

CanadianEh
01-24-2009, 04:12 PM
We have a black 2009 GMC Sierra crew cab and I must say it is the worst thing ever to keep clean. Just in a couple days in the garage it is filthy with dust again. On the other end my G8 is white, it is really easy to keep clean I can drive for a couple weeks in the snow and only the back and a bit around the wheels looks dirty. Also if I wash it and dont drive it, it stays clean for a week or so before dust starts to be noticeable.

norm8332
01-24-2009, 04:16 PM
I like it still. But mine is getting scratched to hell this winter. Gonna need a buff. I wash it once every two weeks or so in the summer. Use wax or Rejex etc. and blast it with a power washer in between.

jnak
01-24-2009, 04:18 PM
This is my second black car. I enjoy washing it so it's not a big deal for me. Use a high quality wax and it will make a big, big difference in keeping it looking clean. The metallic does seem to help keep it looking clean, but it's not much of a difference between it and my last car, which was just black.

Chewy
01-24-2009, 04:31 PM
With today's cleaning technologies a black car is pretty easy to take care of. I bought black for two reasons. #1 it looks bad ass, and #2 it doesn't show the rail dust that we get here in the winter. Is it dirty a lot? OH YEAH! Does it show scratches? YEP!

I have the Adam's system so I should be more than fine!:)

This is my third black car/truck but I've also got a black bike.

Blackdevil77
01-24-2009, 08:31 PM
It is a pain but I don't regret it for a second. I LOVE IT!

G8BLBYU
01-24-2009, 08:54 PM
No regrets whatsoever. In fact, I have to say that the Panther Black Metallic is easier to keep looking clean compared to all the other black cars I've owned, which were typically Brilliant Black cars. (FWIW, every car I've owned since 89 has been black, so I'm biased.)

Case in point, I washed and waxed the car four weeks ago. Every morning after that before going to work, I give the car a go with the California Duster, it looked good all through three weeks, until we started getting rain here. But since then, I haven't had to wash it.

Of course, it doesn't hurt to live in SoCal. :)

Mich's04
01-24-2009, 10:18 PM
No regrets here. I've had plenty of dark colored vehicles, so it does make no difference to me. Washing the fleet is "therapeutic" for me.
Fortunately, I have access to a warm shop to wash the cars/truck during the winter. The G8 will definitely need to be clay bar'ed and buffed this spring. Between the road salt/grit and brushing the snow off, the paint is getting a ton of hair line scratches.

GeorgeInNePa
01-25-2009, 12:07 AM
I live on a dirt road. Any questions? lol

I'm 90% sure that this summer I'll be doing the "murder" treatment to my G8. Satin black FTW!

lsp408
01-25-2009, 01:22 AM
once you go black, you never go back?

p71
01-25-2009, 02:49 AM
It is harder to keep looking clean than a light car, but looks way better when you do.

Slizzo
01-25-2009, 07:52 AM
I still like my Black, but I'm pretty convinced I won't be buying out this lease and will probably replace my 08 with one of the nice new 09 colors.

G8GT721
01-25-2009, 11:04 AM

Thats what she said!

Get white it's a sweet color and only the lip on the bumper and behind the rear wheels get filthy, so you can be lazy if you choose to but washing a new car is fun so i never let it go to long

09PBMGT
01-25-2009, 11:25 PM
As a panther black g8 owner.... I wouldn't have picked another color if I had the chance to do it over again. Yes, it's tough to keep clean and here in the desert, it's even more tough. Dust/dirt everywhere! IMO, black is the nicest looking color when clean.... hands down!!!! Again, that's my opinion. I'll keep washing it and enjoying the lack of snow/rain here... I have that going for me anyway.

SpectreG8GT
01-26-2009, 06:53 AM
it's a pain to keep up, but nothing that a bottle of McGuires quick detailer and a couple towels in the trunk can't solve.

is just looks too damn good.

also, there's something Transporter-ish about a big, fast, black sport sedan

99-LS1-SS
01-26-2009, 07:02 AM
My concern is that I don't have time to wash my car religiously. Based on the comments I'm probably going to stay away from black at this point.

The Transporter movies kick ass!

SRG963
01-26-2009, 07:07 AM
Keeping it clean is tough, but how about those hot summer days? Black holds onto heat, and for that reason alone, I will not own another black car.

The black interior doesn't help with the heat either.

SpectreG8GT
01-26-2009, 07:23 AM
Keeping it clean is tough, but how about those hot summer days? Black holds onto heat, and for that reason alone, I will not own another black car.

The black interior doesn't help with the heat either.

yet another reason why cloth is superior!

99-LS1-SS
01-26-2009, 07:26 AM
I like cloth in the summer when it's 98 degrees but any other time I prefer leather. Much easier to keep clean and to clean up any spills.

SRG963
01-26-2009, 07:27 AM
yet another reason why cloth is superior!

and I will never purchase a car with cloth!

They shouldn't even make vehicles with cloth IMO. It's been proven that leather is superior, higher resale value. Cloth holds onto stains and odors.

99-LS1-SS
01-26-2009, 07:34 AM
Cloth holds onto stains and odors.

LOL! This could have tragic consequences depending one what I've eaten.

SpectreG8GT
01-26-2009, 08:15 AM
it'll be a cold day in hell before I let anybody eat or drink in my car

scratch1275
01-26-2009, 06:23 PM
I have owned a PBM GTO and this G8 and have to say that the Holden paint seems to be "soft." It is very susceptible to spider web marks and light scratches and is easy to chip. The G8 finish has a much, much better gloss, though. Black paint is a labor of love. Nothing compares, but keeping it is a pain in the behind. My last 5 cars have been black and my next 5 probably will be too.

SpectreG8GT
01-27-2009, 06:23 AM
This thread inspired me to rewatch the first 2 Transporter movies the other day.

I love my black car.

djay38
01-27-2009, 04:30 PM
Yep, it's hard to keep clean but black is soooooo sexy on a nice car.... when it's sparkling clean.... Lot's of effort but well worth it in my opinion

'02 ws6
01-27-2009, 09:10 PM
My wife and I loved the black @ first. My first warning to her was that after time goes on, she was going to notice EVERYTHING that is wrong as black shows every possible blemish known to man, and is a PITA to keep clean, especially in the TX panhandle where the dust is constantly adhering to it. Wash, wax, repeat as needed, 30min. later......dusty. We have a little buyers remorse on passing up on the 888 White Hot one in DFW @ the time. It's all good though. Still looks remarkable during that 30min of cleanliness!

KenV
02-04-2009, 10:12 PM
This is our first black car. I don't regret it a bit. Sure, I have to wash it twice a week, but the car has a certain 'presence' in PBM that I don't think I'd sense with the other (admittedly beautiful) factory colors.

Come to think, the fact that it looks dusty 2 minutes after I dry it off has me checking on other things more often, like the interior plastic, the gauge faces, etc. I think I keep a better eye on it that I did on my old daily driver, which was white.

GT G8
02-05-2009, 09:32 PM

It's true thus far, I've had 4 Black cars and the G8 GT will be no different.

granatelli
02-07-2009, 02:59 PM
In very bright sunlight, the car almost looks like dark chocolate. I love my Black G8. It's 56 degrees in NJ today, so I ran outside and washed it !

09PBM
02-12-2009, 05:50 AM
It is doesn't look as bad as my black silverado when dirty. I guess b/c of the metallic.

gearhead455
02-17-2009, 07:14 PM

Damn straight pardner!!

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h309/bluesman455/clintAvatar-1.gif

PantherGTBlack
02-17-2009, 09:09 PM
I love black cars, nothing looks better than a clean, waxed black car. Pain in the Ass to keep clean and scratch free, but nothing beats it.

SSD
02-23-2009, 07:28 PM
I have no regret about picking the color. I just have to be able to find a way to buff the faint scratches and swirls out. Yep, black requires a lot of maintainence.

piecesparts
03-01-2009, 08:01 AM
I have been running "Black" vehicles for a long time. I have a black 84 show truck and just traded the 14 year old black 95 Impala SS in for the G8. The cars are a little harder to keep clean, ONLY if you don't prep the paint properly. I used a product called "Wizards", that allowed me to clean the paint and seal it with a low static cling and the "Mist-N-Shine" detail spray kept the bugs and bird stuff off. I have had the black truck since 1994 and the Impala was purchased new. When I traded the Imp in, the dealer could not believe the paint condition, so I have proof from my trade-in result that it is worth the effort.

EC-Ryder
03-01-2009, 08:19 AM
We have the liquid red and the panther black Gt. The liquid red stay looking clean a lot longer than the black.

There’s no question on the elegant look of a clean black car over other colors if U have the time, elbow and $$$ to keep it that way…At the risk of starting a color war…Nuff said LOL!

Cheers!

piecesparts
03-01-2009, 09:42 AM
The cars in my post above did and do take a little effort, but for the most part, I do not spend hours in my shop cleaning. I live in rural Kansas and I deal with wind, dust, snow, road grime, and bugs. I do a cover of paint sealant in the spring and in the fall, other than that, I hand wash with a pH balanced car wash soap and detail spray the rest through the year.

As soon as I purchased the G8, I took it to the garage and did the paint with the stuff that I use and started it on it's way to trouble free care. I use a Mequires power orbital applicator and hand wipe when I am done---it took me just little over an hour to do the car completely. This included treating the tires.