PDA

View Full Version : Brainstorm cooled seats

TailG8er
08-15-2012, 07:44 PM
How could I add AC to my seats?

Probably ducting and cut small holes in the foam.

The rest will happen as I do it. Won't happen right away but by writing this I will hope to actually try this. I have never had a car with leather seats and I sweat.

Any help or ideas are welcomed and I hope to bring this to market or as a do it yourselfer.

Kermit
08-16-2012, 05:01 PM
I think it could be possible to tap into the center tunnel that supplies air to the rear. Not sure how to overcome the problem of hooking it up the the seat with the seat being able to move back and forth?

TooManyHobbies
08-16-2012, 06:30 PM
Going to be real difficult to get meaningful flow by depending on the fans in the dash. Too much restriction. I think to have a chance you would need to add a fan in the ducts feeding the seat.

TailG8er
08-16-2012, 06:44 PM
I think it could be possible to tap into the center tunnel that supplies air to the rear. Not sure how to overcome the problem of hooking it up the the seat with the seat being able to move back and forth?

Flexible ducting, maybe the electrical smurfpipe. Or pipe in a pipe, one a smaller diameter.

TailG8er
08-16-2012, 06:45 PM
Going to be real difficult to get meaningful flow by depending on the fans in the dash. Too much restriction. I think to have a chance you would need to add a fan in the ducts feeding the seat.

Right, it might be enough but an additional booster fan may be needed. Not a big deal assuming I can find one to fit the application.

TailG8er
08-16-2012, 06:47 PM
I figure it could take a couple minutes to feel the coolness but can work. I wonder how the factory setups work, I have not been able to disassemble one yet.

Here is a diagram showing the channels in the foam

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f201/firecat7/General/amerigon_climate-controlled_seat.jpg

Svendingo
08-16-2012, 07:10 PM
How about low pressure compressed air? You could use sprinkler hose sections or something like that. Find a quiet, small compressor and mount it under the car somewhere with soft mounts.

Sent from my Rezound using Tapatalk 2

TailG8er
08-16-2012, 07:42 PM
How about low pressure compressed air? You could use sprinkler hose sections or something like that. Find a quiet, small compressor and mount it under the car somewhere with soft mounts.

Sent from my Rezound using Tapatalk 2

That could work but I think using the HVAC ducts will offer both cooling and heat which should coincide with what you are comfortable with temp wise of the air but offer a shut off, it would be hard to be able to cool them while you have the heat on unless you duct in cooler outside air but not sure this will an issue.

TailG8er
08-16-2012, 07:44 PM
I am thinking to use suspension airbag hose and use T's to have maybe up to ten (jets) to deliver the air or even better would be to make a manifold with the ten outlets and the hose would be flexible to put into place.

What would the best way to make the channels the tubing would go through the foam like a wormhole? Burn it or drill it or???

702jesusfreak
10-23-2012, 03:07 PM
This makes me want to start messing my seats up:cool2:...THANKS!!!

mc91
10-23-2012, 03:22 PM
I am thinking to use suspension airbag hose and use T's to have maybe up to ten (jets) to deliver the air or even better would be to make a manifold with the ten outlets and the hose would be flexible to put into place.

What would the best way to make the channels the tubing would go through the foam like a wormhole? Burn it or drill it or???

I'd drill the holes...maybe a thin plastic or vinyl hose goin through? 1/4 polyflo maybe?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

texn884
10-27-2012, 04:40 PM
a zip lock bag of Ice in your crotch?

ecmoney
10-27-2012, 06:47 PM
Please give me a step by step when your done with this install......I use paypal haha

V6 LOL
11-08-2012, 06:51 AM
Definitely keeping an eye on this thread to see how it turns out. Living in the south and having black interior is a killer.

mtocrs1
11-08-2012, 06:45 PM
I discussed this exact issue with a guy at my work that is a seat design engineer. He said that some manufacturers incorporate a small low current fan into the seatbase. Some dont cool the air. Just the circulation is enough to give the feeling of the seats being cooled. His suggestion was to use a fan, like one cool hard drives or amplifiers. I want this feature.

TailG8er
11-08-2012, 07:17 PM
I am just going to put the purge valve in my seat when I install nitrous, haha.

THE Adam V
04-03-2013, 01:36 PM
Your best bet is to get yourself an old A/C unit. You know, off someones house. New is just too expensive. Either strap it to your roof or fit it in the trunk, run some ducts from that bad boy to your seat (Flex pipe can be used so you can still move your seat). And then get one of those DC to AC converters from Autozone, and plug it in. Should work fine. right?

TailG8er
04-03-2013, 02:16 PM
Your best bet is to get yourself an old A/C unit. You know, off someones house. New is just too expensive. Either strap it to your roof or fit it in the trunk, run some ducts from that bad boy to your seat (Flex pipe can be used so you can still move your seat). And then get one of those DC to AC converters from Autozone, and plug it in. Should work fine. right?

Of course that will work but I want it for my G8 not my 1978 Caprice.

Good idea on the flex pipe, lol

LDM
04-03-2013, 02:17 PM
It worked for this guy

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/6520025600/h388FAC96/

TailG8er
04-03-2013, 03:01 PM
It worked for this guy

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/6520025600/h388FAC96/

But imagine how much that brick on the side of his minivan must slow him down. I am all about speed and no sweaty balls.

Kaos
04-03-2013, 03:18 PM
What about a closed liquid system like are used on astronaut suits? No tapping into ductwork...run flexible tubing in channels under the seat cover...cover the tubing with a layer of foil to conduct the heat evenly....?

Sent using Tapatalk 2 for Android.

TailG8er
04-03-2013, 07:17 PM
What about a closed liquid system like are used on astronaut suits? No tapping into ductwork...run flexible tubing in channels under the seat cover...cover the tubing with a layer of foil to conduct the heat evenly....?

Sent using Tapatalk 2 for Android.

Like tapping into the AC system? I think tubing and maybe a fan would be easier and safer, probably cheaper too. But I like the idea.

Napalm
04-04-2013, 10:06 AM
guys

Use a high pressure FAN - you don't need much more than 1-2 psi differential. You will need to follow the holes in the leather into the foam for some distance. about the depth of the seat foam - and then connect the holes in the back of the seat foam but cutting free some of it o make a channel.

Then close that channel - like a plenum - then mount your fan to the seat and have if blown through.

Won't be great but that would be a start.