PDA

View Full Version : VaraRam Ram Air System

Pages : [1] 2

jbradG8GT
01-24-2009, 01:58 PM
Alright, here is the long awaited photos of the VaraRam system. I believe the only difference between this model and the final production model is pvc (I think thats the name of it) line will be added and the clamps will be different. Right now it's just attached to a filter. Yesterday I ran some 0-60 runs with the vararam and roto-fab, before my car was tuned. The temp was about 77 degrees and the humidity was high. First I put the roto-fab on and did 4 runs. The lowest time I got was 5.01, the rest we between 5.05 and 5.13. These tests were done with traction control off and in sport mode. Then I put the new vararam model on and did 5 or 6 runs. With traction control off I couldn't get any traction and was getting between 5.0 and 5.1. So I turned traction control on and managed to get traction (obviously) and got 4.96 and 4.98. I probably lost a good 2 tenths due to t/c on. So there is a significant difference when I put the vararam system on my car, but since I couldn't get any traction it's difficult to determine a true 0-60 time. In the past I've gotten as low as 4.75 and consistantly between 4.8 and 5. Anyway...enough with the typing....here's the pics

http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/uu344/jasenbradley09/IMG_0748.jpg

http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/uu344/jasenbradley09/IMG_0749.jpg

http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/uu344/jasenbradley09/IMG_0750.jpg

I also got my car tuned by Chuck Cow and I must say he does a grrrr8 job. I've never had any other tune so I can't compare it to anything. But it runs great and I love the way it fish tails when it shifts to 2nd and barks the tires in 3rd. He did warn me that I have to be careful and I can't drive my car the same way I used to, meaning if I put it to the floor it probably will fishtail once it downshifts, and it did it to me a couple times last night when chuck and I were driving around. I did some 0-60 runs this morning and my lowest was 4.65, my tires slipped a little but not too bad. I believe I can get better if I could figure out the launch technique to prevent the traction problem. So overall I am very pleased with both the VaraRam and Chuck's tune. As soon as I can I will be going to the track to test it. Maybe Charlie and I will get together and head to the track together, hint hint.

CanadianEh
01-24-2009, 02:05 PM
Thats awsome, I cant wait to get one now! the wait is over!!!!:woohoo:

It's A G8!
01-24-2009, 02:06 PM
Do you have any pictures of where it gets the air from?

jbradG8GT
01-24-2009, 02:19 PM
Do you have any pictures of where it gets the air from?

The two side pics show the scoop, which is drawing the air from the grills.

MANOFSTEEL69
01-24-2009, 02:20 PM
Before and after dyno numbers?

MANOFSTEEL69
01-24-2009, 02:21 PM
Pictures look like there's a Kirby vacume cleaner on your engine lol.

jbradG8GT
01-24-2009, 02:22 PM
Never put it on a dyno. I don't believe you can get accurate dyno numbers with a ram air, but I may be wrong. I would think it would act more like a cold air intake than a true ram air, since you're getting more power the faster you go.

It's A G8!
01-24-2009, 02:24 PM
On the third picture, whats that chrome thing next to the throttle body?

jbradG8GT
01-24-2009, 02:25 PM
On the third picture, whats that chrome thing next to the throttle body?

That's the filter attached to the PVC line. It won't be like that on the production model.

SRG963
01-24-2009, 02:26 PM
I want to see what it looks like behind the egg crate grill. Can you take some more pictures at different angles?

jbradG8GT
01-24-2009, 02:36 PM
I want to see what it looks like behind the egg crate grill. Can you take some more pictures at different angles?

I don't mind taking more pics, but you won't be able to see it from the front grill. The scoop doesn't go down to the grills. He did some tests and found out it didn't help draw the air in any more if the scoop went down to the grills. In the third pic you will notice where it stops. I believe Charlie is going over there this weekend and he may take some pics before it goes in the car. If not then I'll pull it out of my car and take some.

MANOFSTEEL69
01-24-2009, 02:41 PM
Never put it on a dyno. I don't believe you can get accurate dyno numbers with a ram air, but I may be wrong. I would think it would act more like a cold air intake than a true ram air, since you're getting more power the faster you go.

That's the problem I found with the New Era OTR....It didn't translate well on the dyno :(

mtolivecracker
01-24-2009, 02:50 PM
put a big strong fan in front of the car and it should work better than most CAIs without actual movement, so it should have at least the same gains as the OTR on the dyno, plus extra gains from the extra fresh intake when speeding down the road. i plan to feed my vararam with plenty of FAST moving fresh air.

99-LS1-SS
01-24-2009, 02:58 PM
put a big strong fan in front of the car and it should work better than most CAIs without actual movement, so it should have at least the same gains as the OTR on the dyno, plus extra gains from the extra fresh intake when speeding down the road. i plan to feed my vararam with plenty of FAST moving fresh air.

LOL! Me too!

jbradG8GT
01-24-2009, 02:58 PM

Yeah I've done quite a bit of that since yesterday...burned through almost a tank of gas....just can't keep my foot out of the gas now....i like it when it shifts to 2nd and fishtails.....just enjoy this car more and more each day!!!

The Commodore
01-24-2009, 03:09 PM
Yeah I've done quite a bit of that since yesterday...burned through almost a tank of gas....just can't keep my foot out of the gas now....i like it when it shifts to 2nd and fishtails.....just enjoy this car more and more each day!!!

So your car fish tails now after just a Vararam and tune?

SRG963
01-24-2009, 03:16 PM
I don't mind taking more pics, but you won't be able to see it from the front grill. The scoop doesn't go down to the grills. He did some tests and found out it didn't help draw the air in any more if the scoop went down to the grills. In the third pic you will notice where it stops. I believe Charlie is going over there this weekend and he may take some pics before it goes in the car. If not then I'll pull it out of my car and take some.

How large is the opening, like 2" X 18" or something?

SRG963
01-24-2009, 03:25 PM
What type of filter does it come with, and size does it take?

locrzn#92
01-24-2009, 04:01 PM
You should always have a fan to duplicate the car going down the road. I found that out when I dynoed mine, waste of time without it.

edmanet
01-24-2009, 04:17 PM
So the production model will the the pvc hookup to the front passenger valvr cover ???
Can the HSRK be hooked up to this intake ??? If so where ???

MtbDoc
01-24-2009, 04:54 PM

80mph wind is a LOT of air blowing at the car. Better get some BIG fans.

jbradG8GT
01-24-2009, 08:57 PM
So your car fish tails now after just a Vararam and tune?

yes

How large is the opening, like 2" X 18" or something?

as far as the deminsions I don't know...I didn't measure it and Patrick didn't tell me.

What type of filter does it come with, and size does it take?

not sure...I believe it's custom made for this system

Charlie can probably answer that question....I don't have a HSRK

Darkside
01-25-2009, 07:31 AM
Did you have to adjust the radiator back to install?

99-LS1-SS
01-25-2009, 07:33 AM
Did you have to adjust the radiator back to install?

Yes.

SRG963
01-25-2009, 08:07 AM
as far as the deminsions I don't know...I didn't measure it and Patrick didn't tell me.

Got a measuring tape or something to give us an idea of how much air exactly will be flowing threw the main opening at the front of the car?

not sure...I believe it's custom made for this system

Are the filters re-useable like K&N, or should we stock up now to avoid not having them in the future?

How does it feel being the beta tester getting asked all the questions? LOL

NYG8GT
01-25-2009, 08:40 AM
So when do we get pics of an actual Vararam off the car? Im interested in how the front scoop area is designed. Its such a small area in front of the radiator to draw air from after its tipped back :(

stryker g8gt
01-25-2009, 09:07 AM
I would like to see the install instruction w- diagram of course...

How many will they make on the first run

jbradG8GT
01-25-2009, 09:36 AM
I'll let Patrick post the measurements to make sure they're exact. The filters are reuseable. Beta testing is fun...what sucks is that I can't answer all the questions as I didn't want to pry too much in Patrick's business. I let him take all the measurements and do the fitting and stayed out his way.

I'll take pics today and post it here. As far as installation instructions, that will come with the system when you order it. But I'll say this, it can't be that difficult since I can do it. It will be very detailed and thorough since there is a specific procedure to get it in the car.

G8BLBYU
01-25-2009, 09:39 AM
Just to make sure I understand your testing:

You did not try the Roto-Fab with traction control on? Does that mean that you did NOT have a traction problem with the Roto-Fab or do you think that the Roto-Fab could have done better (as good as the Vararam) with T/C on?
Your last sentence in your first paragraph said that you were able to get 4.75 and 4.8-5 before. That was before any type of CAI and tune? And now that you have the Vararam, the best you could do was 4.96? Again, just to be clear, you are attributing this to loss of traction with the Vararam? But if that was the case, and you could get the two tenths back due to traction loss, you'd only be a hundredth better than your prior best?

Sorry for the questions. I just want to make sure that I understand what your results say because your last sentence in your first paragraph kind a threw the first part of your report out of whack for me. That statement makes it sound like the gains from the Vararam and tune aren't really there. Or did I misunderstand?

Thanks.

'02 ws6
01-25-2009, 09:53 AM

Also wanting to know this. VaraRam will be my first mod on the car, so while I'm doing it, I might as well do the HSRK as well.

CanadianEh
01-25-2009, 09:55 AM
Your last sentence in your first paragraph said that you were able to get 4.75 and 4.8-5 before. That was before any type of CAI and tune? And now that you have the Vararam, the best you could do was 4.96? Again, just to be clear, you are attributing this to loss of traction with the Vararam? But if that was the case, and you could get the two tenths back due to traction loss, you'd only be a hundredth better than your prior best?

to quote what he said..

First I put the roto-fab on and did 4 runs. The lowest time I got was 5.01 This was his roto-fab 0-60

Then I put the new vararam model on and did 5 or 6 runs. With traction control off I couldn't get any traction and was getting between 5.0 and 5.1. So I turned traction control on and managed to get traction (obviously) and got 4.96 and 4.98. Now these were his times with Vararam. The key to this is with traction control on you will do worse then with it off. This being said he managed better times with Vararam with T/C on then his previous Roto-Fab times. To translate that into numbers you will probably shave .2ish off a 0-60 time with a Vararam compared to a Roto-Fab. This is a solid half a second off stock times.

Hopefully that clears it up somewhat it ran on longer then I wanted it to and im sure he could be more specific but I believe this is what he was getting at. Also I am not 100% sure if he had the tune at the time of these tests but I presume he did.

G8BLBYU
01-25-2009, 10:13 AM
to quote what he said..

First I put the roto-fab on and did 4 runs. The lowest time I got was 5.01 This was his roto-fab 0-60

Then I put the new vararam model on and did 5 or 6 runs. With traction control off I couldn't get any traction and was getting between 5.0 and 5.1. So I turned traction control on and managed to get traction (obviously) and got 4.96 and 4.98. Now these were his times with Vararam. The key to this is with traction control on you will do worse then with it off. This being said he managed better times with Vararam with T/C on then his previous Roto-Fab times. To translate that into numbers you will probably shave .2ish off a 0-60 time with a Vararam compared to a Roto-Fab. This is a solid half a second off stock times.

Hopefully that clears it up somewhat it ran on longer then I wanted it to and im sure he could be more specific but I believe this is what he was getting at. Also I am not 100% sure if he had the tune at the time of these tests but I presume he did.

Thanks, I believe I got the first part of his report, that he believes that the Vararam would probably shave 0.2 compared to a Roto-Fab. However, his results don't really support it since his best Vararam time with T/C on was barely better than the Roto-Fab with T/C off.

And again, the last sentence is what confused me. Where did 4.75 come from? Before both the Roto-Fab and Vararam?

jbradG8GT
01-25-2009, 10:18 AM
Just to make sure I understand your testing:

You did not try the Roto-Fab with traction control on? Does that mean that you did NOT have a traction problem with the Roto-Fab or do you think that the Roto-Fab could have done better (as good as the Vararam) with T/C on?

Sorry for the questions. I just want to make sure that I understand what your results say because your last sentence in your first paragraph kind a threw the first part of your report out of whack for me. That statement makes it sound like the gains from the Vararam and tune aren't really there. Or did I misunderstand?

Thanks.

The 4.75 was on a different day and different city, with the first vararam prototype. The temp the other day at Vararam's facility was 77 degrees and the humidity was high (Pasadena is very close to the water so the humidity is higher than in Katy). The 4.96 was the best I could get that day, that doesn't mean that was the best anyone could have gotten, just the best I could do. All I'm trying to do is report all of my numbers whether they seem good or bad, I figured everyone here would want to know that kind of info, I know I would. I really don't think the actual numbers matter as much as the comparison numbers. Depending on where you live and climate you have, you may get lower numbers than me. I'm looking for consistancy on a certain day. I didn't have to try the roto-fab with traction on because I didn't have a traction problem.
I hope this all makes since. This is the first time that I test something like this or do any kind of beta testing. With that said, if there's something anyone wants to know just ask and if I can answer it I will as truthful as possible. If I don't know the answer I will tell you I don't know, and either I will ask Patrick or any of you all can give him a call as he will be able to answer the technical questions about the system itself.

Darracq
01-25-2009, 10:20 AM
Is there room for a nitrous plate?

G8BLBYU
01-25-2009, 10:24 AM
The 4.75 was on a different day and different city, with the first vararam prototype. The temp the other day at Vararam's facility was 77 degrees and the humidity was high (Pasadena is very close to the water so the humidity is higher than in Katy). The 4.96 was the best I could get that day, that doesn't mean that was the best anyone could have gotten, just the best I could do. All I'm trying to do is report all of my numbers whether they seem good or bad, I figured everyone here would want to know that kind of info, I know I would. I really don't think the actual numbers matter as much as the comparison numbers. Depending on where you live and climate you have, you may get lower numbers than me. I'm looking for consistancy on a certain day. I didn't have to try the roto-fab with traction on because I didn't have a traction problem.
I hope this all makes since. This is the first time that I test something like this or do any kind of beta testing. With that said, if there's something anyone wants to know just ask and if I can answer it I will as truthful as possible. If I don't know the answer I will tell you I don't know, and either I will ask Patrick or any of you all can give him a call as he will be able to answer the technical questions about the system itself.

Thanks for clarifying. It wasn't clear that your 4.75 was with the Vararam, so that helps.

And yes, I do believe that comparisons are best done back to back, in the same conditions to make sense. Unfortunately, since you weren't able to get traction or launch properly with the Vararam, we just have to guess how much quicker it would have been than the Roto-fab. It does help also to know that you didn't have traction problems with the Roto-fab, which indicates that the Vararam is probably putting down more power to the ground.

That said, it's probably not beyond the realm of possibility that a Roto-fab with a tune for it would also have traction problems with T/C off, but I know that wasn't part of the scope of your testing. That's cool.

Just want to make sure I understand your results.

Thanks again.

jbradG8GT
01-25-2009, 10:47 AM
That said, it's probably not beyond the realm of possibility that a Roto-fab with a tune for it would also have traction problems with T/C off, but I know that wasn't part of the scope of your testing. That's cool.

Just want to make sure I understand your results.

Thanks again.

With a tune and stock intake you will have traction problems if torque management is turned off. I was having traction problems before the tune....now it's even more fun because Chuck turned off all torque management in all modes when he tuned it. So the car is a blast to drive.

G8BLBYU
01-25-2009, 11:00 AM
With a tune and stock intake you will have traction problems if torque management is turned off. I was having traction problems before the tune....now it's even more fun because Chuck turned off all torque management in all modes when he tuned it. So the car is a blast to drive.

I'm sure that would be the case. I have the VMS 91 Octane ECM & updated TCM tune and I can get the 1-2 chirp and get a bit sideways with T/C off. No CAI yet, so I'm sure it'll be more fun once I decide on which one to go with and have VMS tune for it.

Again, much appreciate you sharing your results.

The Commodore
01-25-2009, 03:57 PM
I can't wait to wake this beast up from it's slumber!

Are we going to be able to group buy this from the GRRRR8 store?

CanadianEh
01-25-2009, 05:24 PM
Just wondering but on the pricing thread it seems like we are going to far exceed the 25 people needed for the savings, do you think we might save even more since it looks like we might double the expected 25?

The Commodore
01-25-2009, 05:35 PM
Just wondering but on the pricing thread it seems like we are going to far exceed the 25 people needed for the savings, do you think we might save even more since it looks like we might double the expected 25?

Well when I look at the list I also take into account who will back up their "I am in" with actual money. Some of the posters there only have like 3 posts.

CanadianEh
01-25-2009, 05:40 PM
I already thought of that, I am just looking at the possibility

jeppsG8
01-25-2009, 05:41 PM
# of posts not related to # of $ for Vararam. At least in my case. But I'm sure experience has told you it is often true. Thanks again to all the Mod's on this great forum.

GNSS
01-25-2009, 06:10 PM
Well when I look at the list I also take into account who will back up their "I am in" with actual money. Some of the posters there only have like 3 posts.

Just because I'm a junior doesn't mean I don't have the jack:)

Jeff

GRRRR8
01-25-2009, 06:16 PM
There are members on here that have $1000s in mods and never post. I was on a Mach 1 site, had maybe 12 posts, but had 15k in mods. No blower, turbo, wheels anything like that either. I never judge someones $$ by posts, age, spelling or anything. I learned that about 20 years ago.

The Commodore
01-25-2009, 06:24 PM
I was not saying they had no money. I was just saying that the ones that have many posts and frequent the board often are almost positive to buy it when they say "I am in"

Not trying to offend anyone but I have seen where people post that they are in and, well that did not translate. I have not seen it on this board though.

GRRRR8
01-25-2009, 06:29 PM
I was not saying they had no money. I was just saying that the ones that have many posts and frequent the board often are almost positive to buy it when they say "I am in"

Not trying to offend anyone but I have seen where people post that they are in and, well that did not translate. I have not seen it on this board though.

I wasnt saying that at all. You have always been respectful on this site. I do understand what you are saying though. The first thread was for member interest and the 2nd was for definite orders.

The Commodore
01-25-2009, 07:22 PM
I wasnt saying that at all. You have always been respectful on this site. I do understand what you are saying though. The first thread was for member interest and the 2nd was for definite orders.

Ok, I understand.

'02 ws6
01-26-2009, 11:50 AM
Well naturally there are going to be people who flake out on group buys. I, myself have yet to participate in any group buy (VaraRam is going to be my cherry popper!), but I have always heard that you get the number and subtract a round number like 10 and that's a valid estimate. Not everyone will flake out either, alot can happen to someone or their funds in two week. So far I think I tallied around 40 "I am ins" maybe a few less, when you get to the 50 mark is when I figure they may take a couple extra bucks off, but $50 less upfront is more than a bargain that I am willing to take!

g8torade
01-26-2009, 03:40 PM
as of right now, the number of 'i am in''s is exactly 40. i'm one of those "junior members" who don't post as often as most but i can assure you that when i say i'm in, i am definitely in. especially for this, as i've been waiting a lonnnggg time for it. so glad it's finally just about ready. and, i just got an email saying that my magnaflow street series catback should be here tomorrow! sorry, off topic but as you can tell, i'm excited. i've been waiting till i hit 3000 miles before i started on any mods and i am now at 3294. so i've got to get started.

KaiserM715
01-26-2009, 06:16 PM
Where does the IAT sensor go (HSRK)? Is it shown in one of the pics?

Found out the answer. Charlie told me that the IAT is located in the stock throttle body. So I guess I will revise my question. Has anyone decided on a location for the HSRK IAT?

G8GTlawride
01-26-2009, 07:55 PM
to quote what he said..

Let's not forget what "Ram Air" is. Air that is forced into the induction system from forward motion. With that said, I have some concerns. Unless the Veraram is truly a higher flowing intake than the Roto-Fab, and it may very well be, there is not going to be enough "Forced Air" into the intake at launch to make enough of a difference to cause the traction problems written about.
If you spin your tires at launch, how fast are you going? Probably not fast at all. In fact, you are standing still when the tires start spinning from the traction loss. There is no ram air effect at this point. The ram air will only become effective at higher speeds when traction is not an issue. One last point. When your staging at the track or at a traffic light, with that intake scoop directly in front of the radiator/AC condensor where is all that heat going that is being removed from the coolant via the radiator? Since heat rises, I bet it is being dispersed right up that scoop. The first blast of air when you stab the throttle is going to be quite warm. JMHO.

GRRRR8
01-26-2009, 08:01 PM
Let's not forget what "Ram Air" is. Air that is forced into the induction system from forward motion. With that said, I have some concerns. Unless the Veraram is truly a higher flowing intake than the Roto-Fab, and it may very well be, there is not going to be enough "Forced Air" into the intake at launch to make enough of a difference to cause the traction problems written about.
If you spin your tires at launch, how fast are you going? Probably not fast at all. In fact, you are standing still when the tires start spinning from the traction loss. There is no ram air effect at this point. The ram air will only become effective at higher speeds when traction is not an issue. One last point. When your staging at the track or at a traffic light, with that intake scoop directly in front of the radiator/AC condensor where is all that heat going that is being removed from the coolant via the radiator? Since heat rises, I bet it is being dispersed right up that scoop. The first blast of air when you stab the throttle is going to be quite warm. JMHO.

Just a bit off on the theory. The scoop is in front of the condenser. If the car was hot, the fans would be on drawing air through which in turn would be pulling any heat away from the inlet.

G8GTlawride
01-26-2009, 08:06 PM
Your right there, unless the fans aren't on yet. Still wouldn't want the intake point near a heat sink. IMO.

GRRRR8
01-26-2009, 08:11 PM
The intake point is in FRONT of the condenser on a downward angle that angles forward slightly. No way to get engine temp air in it. This is what is taking the extra time for testing. I used the Prototype this weekend and after 30 miles at an average speed being close to 90, then about 8 miles of stop and go traffic, the throttle body was cool to the touch. It wasnt with the RotoFab.

r33pwrd
01-26-2009, 08:13 PM
also the strigt in design will flow better than the bent style

G8GTlawride
01-26-2009, 08:14 PM
What was the dashawk reading on the IAT's? Realizing it is winter as well.

GRRRR8
01-26-2009, 08:16 PM
also the strigt in design will flow better than the bent style

Correct. Anytime you can get a straight shot of air it is much more efficient. Thus being the reason the OTRs are so popular in Oz.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
01-26-2009, 08:19 PM
That's good info Charlie, that means that the Vararam is actually taking in cool air, unlike the RotoFab. With that said it doesn't matter if it's really a true ram air intake, as long as it pulls in cooler air from outside the engine bay is all that matters. I'm so glad I waited for the Vararam CAI, I was so close to buying the RotoFab and I would have missed this great deal!

GRRRR8
01-26-2009, 08:25 PM
What was the dashawk reading on the IAT's? Realizing it is winter as well.

Truthfully my Roto with all my mods was a few degrees colder, but that was with the HSRK. The MAF still suffers from heat soak, so as soon as I get the prduction model I will experiment with HSRK location and test it like that to be fair. A LOT of testing was done on my Roto and mods as well as HSRK location to maximize performance. Its only fair that I give that same effort to the Vararam. I did do a non HSRK Roto vs prototype and the Vararam was 6-7 degrees cooler overall, but then again if someone didnt have my lower panel mod, add at least 10-15 degrees on top of that.

GEE8GEETEE
01-27-2009, 05:57 AM
I'm stuck between the OTR and the Vararam. Help me decide.

PontiacDan
01-27-2009, 08:50 AM
has there been a retail price released yet? OR a group purchase price??

GRRRR8
01-27-2009, 08:56 AM
http://www.forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=3301

locrzn#92
01-27-2009, 10:33 AM
Wait til the plastic starts changing after its been on there for a while. You know how much heat is built up under the hood. I think Mike's@New Era is a better solution for that still of intake. I'd probably order one of those before the plastic one. I like the aluminum finish better and easier to clean. Definetly looks better, two reasons I got rid of the stock plastic air box is that it looked bad and didn't flow well. Oh well, to each his own. Might get a little shrinkage if your not careful.

jbradG8GT
01-27-2009, 11:09 AM
Wait til the plastic starts changing after its been on there for a while. You know how much heat is built up under the hood. I think Mike's@New Era is a better solution for that still of intake. I'd probably order one of those before the plastic one. I like the aluminum finish better and easier to clean. Definetly looks better, two reasons I got rid of the stock plastic air box is that it looked bad and didn't flow well. Oh well, to each his own. Might get a little shrinkage if your not careful.

VaraRam is using the same plastic that he uses on all his products that have been on vehicles for many years and none of them have had any problems.

FYI, just wanted to let everyone know after lunch today I was traveling on an older road here in houston (one that i've never been on) and I did a hard launch (didn't rev it up just put the pedal to the floor) from a stop light and did not have a traction problem like i've had in the past. My tires still barked in first and second gear but no fishtailing when it hit second gear. The temp is 77 degrees and 56% humidity, the humidity is a killer. Didn't have the G-tech hooked up but had a couple of my clients in the car. Both of them said man I gotta get me a car like this. It was funny.

locrzn#92
01-27-2009, 11:32 AM
I'm not saying it will, I'm just saying that a lot of the plastics can't take the heat. Maybe this one can. Aluminum is not going to disfigure because of heat as plastic can. I'm not promoting any cai's, I just think aluminum is the best way to go.

GRRRR8
01-27-2009, 12:04 PM
Look at how much plastic shit comes from the factory! Isnt the RotoFab Plastic? Better yet isnt the intake manifold plastic? I better run out there and see if it melted!

r33pwrd
01-27-2009, 12:14 PM
I'm not saying it will, I'm just saying that a lot of the plastics can't take the heat. Maybe this one can. Aluminum is not going to disfigure because of heat as plastic can. I'm not promoting any cai's, I just think aluminum is the best way to go.

sorry but plastic is one of the most resiliant products out there! is metal better? in some cases but not all. Yes the metal will have a better thermal caracteristics but you are very limited to metal designs due to cray tooling prices.

The Commodore
01-27-2009, 12:25 PM
I'm not sure but doesn't metal conduct heat more than plastic?

99-LS1-SS
01-27-2009, 12:42 PM
Metal holds heat longer than plastic.

locrzn#92
01-27-2009, 12:43 PM
The aluminum should get rid of the heat quicker. I'm not knocking the product, just making some comments. I hope everyone is happy and it works well. Charlie, good luck.

r33pwrd
01-27-2009, 12:45 PM
Metal holds heat longer than plastic.

wrong... even seen a plastic heatsink?

locrzn#92
01-27-2009, 12:48 PM
Depends on the thickness of each.

-Ray-
01-27-2009, 01:00 PM

Different types of plastics have different melting points. I don't understand your comment. You have no idea of the type of plastic used in this intake, yet you are implying that it's going to change it's shape.
You know PEX is made from plastic, and it is used for hi pressure hot water?
We all get you like aluminum better.
BTW the maf on my 99 Chevy truck is made of plastic and it's retained it's shape.
I think most would appreciate that you reserve your comments to products you are familiar with.

GeorgeInNePa
01-27-2009, 01:00 PM

Please post some links in support of that statement.

The rest is just opinion. But those first two sentences make it sound like plastic CAIs melt or warp. So some proof is needed.

r33pwrd
01-27-2009, 01:16 PM
Please post some links in support of that statement.

The rest is just opinion. But those first two sentences make it sound like plastic CAIs melt or warp. So some proof is needed.

well anyone that has been a car person for a few years will know that YES there has been plastic intake manifolds melt and other plastic engine parts... This is due to poorly manufactured parts / bad design or a car that overheated. It DOES NOT mean that the vararam will melt or distort! I spent 20 minutes looking for someone with a melted vararam and NO luck on-line! I doubt these guys would sell all these intake and not have a complaint on-line iof they where melting!

Hell our exaust manifold gaskets are rubeer! Does anyone even know what material they use on their intake? Is it plastic? or a high durometer rubber? I do know it is a hybrid material (as stated on their website) but not sure of much beyond that!

r33pwrd
01-27-2009, 01:18 PM
Depends on the thickness of each.

I am assuming your compairing 2 idential sizes. and IMO in this application I do not think material is an issue as you are always "cooling" it while moving.

locrzn#92
01-27-2009, 01:41 PM
No one said anything about melting. Charlie made a comment about him running out to see if his had melted. I'm just saying that plastic can distort, I hope it doesn't and everyone gets their moneys worth and the product works. The manifolds are plastic composite and thick enough so they don't distort. Plastic would be much lighter generally then metal. I've heard of pex for sure, I'm putting it in my new house I'm building pretty soon. We all can agree and disagree on many things and we will in the future.

GRRRR8
01-27-2009, 01:47 PM
Vararam is made of military spec plastic if that helps. Yes I was being a smart ass because I felt some unnecessary comments were made.

r33pwrd
01-27-2009, 01:49 PM
No one said anything about melting. Charlie made a comment about him running out to see if his had melted. I'm just saying that plastic can distort, I hope it doesn't and everyone gets their moneys worth and the product works. The manifolds are plastic composite and thick enough so they don't distort. Plastic would be much lighter generally then metal. I've heard of pex for sure, I'm putting it in my new house I'm building pretty soon. We all can agree and disagree on many things and we will in the future.

its OK I can be like you too sometimes... just need to argue to feel better. If you dont want it or cannot afford it that cool!

Any yest a lot of people jump on the bandwagon before a product is out! But you say we are crazy for wanting it.... I say your twice as crazy for not wanting it :)

r33pwrd
01-27-2009, 01:50 PM
Vararam is made of military spec plastic

so your saying my intake will be just like an f-18's :woohoo:

:apache:

GRRRR8
01-27-2009, 01:51 PM
so your saying my intake will be just like an f-18's :woohoo:

LOL! As long as it moves like an F-18 I will be happy!

SRG963
01-27-2009, 01:53 PM
All this talking about the new Vararam, I want to see some more pictures :)

r33pwrd
01-27-2009, 02:00 PM
All this talking about the new Vararam, I want to see some more pictures :)

I want to see a box on my door step!

NYG8GT
01-27-2009, 02:43 PM
I want to see 1/4 results between stock, an OTR, and a Vararam on a car with no tuning. to find out what thing really does and if it lives up to the hype.

locrzn#92
01-27-2009, 02:45 PM
I want to see the gal next door on my front step, she only has one leg so she won't be able to stand there very long. Wow am I dreaming again. Where'd my sheep go.

99-LS1-SS
01-27-2009, 02:46 PM
If it was a little warmer I would probably do that test once I get the GXP but I don't think I can hold off that long before putting it on. Who knows, I might not get the damn GXP for another 6 months!:hang::sad::rant:

99-LS1-SS
01-27-2009, 02:46 PM
I want to see the gal next door on my front step, she only has one leg so she won't be able to stand there very long. Wow am I dreaming again. Where'd my sheep go.

Isn't her name Eileen?

r33pwrd
01-27-2009, 02:55 PM
Is this her?

DRCUSTOMPARTS
01-27-2009, 04:13 PM
The Vararam IS an Over The Radiator CAI

r33pwrd
01-27-2009, 04:52 PM
The Vararam IS an Over The Radiator CAI

I know... I thought we where talking about 1 legged girls??

DRCUSTOMPARTS
01-27-2009, 05:39 PM
I'm stuck between the OTR and the Vararam. Help me decide.
My post was in reference to this one, but now I realized he's talking about the New ERA OTR.

If the plastic does get faded it can always be painted. In fact I'll probably do that to mine!

locrzn#92
01-27-2009, 07:23 PM
Thats her, wtf and how'd she get there. Man you are a lucky guy. What otr?

BigRob
01-28-2009, 03:40 AM
the one thing that is kind of stopping me on getting onboard is the avail of filters... will there be a k&n for it?

SRG963
01-28-2009, 03:52 AM
the one thing that is kind of stopping me on getting onboard is the avail of filters... will there be a k&n for it?

That's on my mind also.

I was told that the filter that it comes with is re-useable like the K&N, but it's a special size.

That's the hold up I do believe, waiting on the filters.

r33pwrd
01-28-2009, 07:07 AM
im sure they would use a good filter that is able to be purchased seperate down the road... but that just my opinion... dont know?

GRRRR8
01-28-2009, 07:29 AM
There filters are custom made from them to their specs for maximum flow. They out flow a K&N the same size so there is no reason to change.

The Commodore
01-28-2009, 10:25 AM
There filters are custom made from them to their specs for maximum flow. They out flow a K&N the same size so there is no reason to change.

We will be able to order replacements from them?

wreckwriter
01-28-2009, 10:33 AM

Surely so.

GRRRR8
01-28-2009, 10:38 AM

Most filters like this are good for a million miles. We will say 250k to play it safe. Do you still need one? :) If so yes you could buy an extra one.

CanadianEh
01-28-2009, 02:22 PM
Is there a date for orders set yet? Has production begun on the first systems?

g8torade
01-28-2009, 03:20 PM
oh man, i hope that a week from now we don't hear that they're having minor issues and it gets delayed another month or so.

r33pwrd
01-28-2009, 03:38 PM
I hate to say it and im trying real hard to be positive... But vararam has said in 3 diffrent spots that the are 2 weeks out on three different applications... whats the chance they are going to release 3 new products in 2 weeks?

Kermit
01-28-2009, 04:39 PM
I don't mind too much if it gets delayed a bit. Just that much more time to save the money and actually have it instead of just putting it on a credit card. :) I like to put a $100 bucks each paycheck into my fun money account.

johnh
01-28-2009, 04:50 PM
Were there any dyno numbers from this?

99-LS1-SS
01-28-2009, 04:57 PM
I don't even have a car yet so I'm still good. :)

Blackrider
01-28-2009, 08:12 PM
How do you think it will deal with rain?

r33pwrd
01-28-2009, 08:20 PM
How do you think it will deal with rain?

I will let you know :)

HD926
01-28-2009, 09:40 PM
Between the Vara Ram OTR / Roto Fab / and the NEP OTR which is the best overall.

Ktlplxm
01-29-2009, 04:55 AM
When I spoke to them last week, they told me they were still a few weeks away from shipping any orders, the primary hold up was the filter, and subsequent testing on the filter's flow characteristics (just to make sure it did what they wanted it to do)

Ktlplxm
01-29-2009, 05:04 AM
Between the Vara Ram OTR / Roto Fab / and the NEP OTR which is the best overall.

Kinda hard to say since few if any of us have had all of them for comparison.

g8torade
01-29-2009, 01:58 PM
When I spoke to them last week, they told me they were still a few weeks away from shipping any orders, the primary hold up was the filter, and subsequent testing on the filter's flow characteristics (just to make sure it did what they wanted it to do)

well, crap.

r33pwrd
01-29-2009, 02:02 PM
Kinda hard to say since few if any of us have had all of them for comparison.

plus there is no such thing as a vararam intake.... yet

'02 ws6
01-29-2009, 03:35 PM
Most filters like this are good for a million miles. We will say 250k to play it safe. Do you still need one? :) If so yes you could buy an extra one.

Do they need to be "recharged" like K&N's? If so were going to have a "recharging oil F%$^ED up my MAF" thread! I'm sure when people get to recharging their K&Ns w/ their RF and NE CAI's there will be some incidents!

'02 ws6
01-29-2009, 03:35 PM

......sure there is........if you own a 'Vette!!:nah:

r33pwrd
01-29-2009, 03:37 PM
......sure there is........if you own a 'Vette!!:nah:

:deadhorse:

r33pwrd
01-29-2009, 03:38 PM
oiled filters do NOT mess up your MAS but an over oiled one can cause your mas to need a 2.99 cleaning with some MAS cleaner! I always clean mine when I do an oil change not matter what filter I have on.

The Commodore
01-29-2009, 03:44 PM

Yeah there is...

It's on jbrad's G8 GT...

'02 ws6
01-29-2009, 03:51 PM
oiled filters do NOT mess up your MAS but an over oiled one can cause your mas to need a 2.99 cleaning with some MAS cleaner! I always clean mine when I do an oil change not matter what filter I have on.

That's what I was referring to. Tons of people have caused problems w/ their MAF, even fouling plugs due to over oiling their filters. lol :bm:

DRCUSTOMPARTS
01-29-2009, 06:42 PM
You can add Volante to that statement, they are releasing a new CAI for the G8 soon. It's similiar to the one for the GTO, and it's supposed to be in the $300 price range.

http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10506

GRRRR8
01-29-2009, 06:48 PM
I dont think the Volant will be in the top 3 for power. I have installed many of their systems through the years and the quality is great, but others all produce more power. Just ask the HEMI guys.

r33pwrd
01-29-2009, 07:17 PM
I dont think the Volant will be in the top 3 for power. I have installed many of their systems through the years and the quality is great, but others all produce more power. Just ask the HEMI guys.

:charlie3:

stryker g8gt
01-31-2009, 09:52 AM

X-Hemi guy Agreeing:thumbsup:

The Commodore
02-01-2009, 07:12 PM
Anything new?

NYG8GT
02-01-2009, 07:54 PM
Ha, how dare you expect something new from something that has left people waiting for months on end! Its all part of the marketing gimmicktry :p I thought we'd at least have dyno and 1/4 numbers by now.

GRRRR8
02-01-2009, 07:59 PM
Ha, how dare you expect something new from something that has left people waiting for months on end! Its all part of the marketing gimmicktry :p I thought we'd at least have dyno and 1/4 numbers by now.

Always with the positive comments. Your buying NE anyways and not even today or this month, so why all the comments. I would say its a NY thing, but I am from NY.

r33pwrd
02-01-2009, 08:50 PM
Always with the positive comments. Your buying NE anyways and not even today or this month, so why all the comments. I would say its a NY thing, but I am from NY.

people from NY are always a little weird :) Friday is the 2 week mark! I hope they come through as im tired of my check engine light on and I dont want to tune until the intake is on!

DRCUSTOMPARTS
02-01-2009, 09:00 PM
Just cover it with tape, it'll be alright. Outta sight, outta mind.....

r33pwrd
02-01-2009, 09:05 PM
Just cover it with tape, it'll be alright. Outta sight, outta mind.....

but no remote start wehn its on :( thats my favorite thing about the G8!

DRCUSTOMPARTS
02-01-2009, 09:16 PM
Ahhhh that's right, bummer!

The Commodore
02-01-2009, 09:24 PM

Well lets just say that...I don't know...maybe....umm...I want a ram air system...oh I don't know.

Look if Vararam does not come out with their ram air system(which I doubt) then I will get the NEP OTR.

But for now....I'm still sticking with what Vararam has to bring to the table. Plus if it takes a little...I can just keep saving up.

The Commodore
02-01-2009, 09:25 PM

It's a NY thing LOL

I deal with PLENTY of them down here.:bm:

LOL

TX just changed you...

CJ-WP
02-02-2009, 03:05 AM
When will the group buy close? I'm very interessted in the Vararam, but I'd like to see at least a before & after dyno run before I add my "I'm in."

KaiserM715
02-02-2009, 07:14 AM
Any chance of us local guys being able to go to Vararam and pick ours up when they are out?

Chewy
02-02-2009, 07:28 AM
Any chance of us local guys being able to go to Vararam and pick ours up when they are out?

I can't see why that would be an issue. It'd save them shipping it to you.

Chris

r33pwrd
02-02-2009, 09:21 AM

I would think you would have to pay sales tax (if you have sales tax)

KaiserM715
02-02-2009, 09:56 AM
I can't see why that would be an issue. It'd save them shipping it to you.

That is what I was thinking (plus it would be faster than waiting on UPS!!). That and maybe I would be able to get them to show me around.

I would think you would have to pay sales tax (if you have sales tax)

If I get it directly from them (shipped or not) I would have to pay sales tax. I would have to buy it from an out of state vendor to get around sales tax. Oh well.

GRRRR8
02-02-2009, 10:09 AM
You wont get to see too much. All the equiptment is in a seperate building.

NYG8GT
02-02-2009, 01:10 PM

I already have the OTR. And I guess Im just trying to light a fire under something that has had so much hype but still no proven results *shrugs*

GRRRR8
02-02-2009, 01:44 PM
If people want to wait for a product they will. There has been testing on it. One thing about Vararam is they wont release it until it makes all the power it can/is supposed to. I could care less really. I have a Roto-Fab and with my mods the car flys! I just want to see how much more it can get. With it or without it I will be in the 11s!

r33pwrd
02-02-2009, 02:02 PM
People being excited about the Vararam is no different than people being excited about the ZR-1... yes we didnt know all the specs but we new it would be bad ass like all the other vettes, vararam is the same way! everthing they have is top notch and apear to be the "one to have by all the vette and hemi guys" so why expect anything less on the G8?

GRRRR8
02-02-2009, 02:32 PM
People being excited about the Vararam is no different than people being excited about the ZR-1... yes we didnt know all the specs but we new it would be bad ass like all the other vettes, vararam is the same way! everthing they have is top notch and apear to be the "one to have by all the vette and hemi guys" so why expect anything less on the G8?

Thank You!

r33pwrd
02-02-2009, 03:55 PM
I was a vararam hatter at first and honestly the only reason i was is becasue they where supposably making one for the TBSS and never did... I wish they had but its time to move on to the G8! I really like the look of their systems (both G8 and Vette) and am really excited to put on of these on!

GRRRR8
02-02-2009, 04:16 PM
I was under the impression when I was there that the G8/GTO/TBSS were all coming out around the same time.

SRG963
02-02-2009, 04:20 PM
I was under the impression when I was there that the G8/GTO/TBSS were all coming out around the same time.

Are the building one unit that works for all three?

r33pwrd
02-02-2009, 04:21 PM

well I have 0 love for the TBSS now that I have the G8 :) just have lost interest in making it fast once I felt the rear tires spin on the G8!

SRG963
Where are we at with this BTW? Do they take Paypal?

r33pwrd
Are the building one unit that works for all three?

NO the TBSS one uses the triangler box with the ducts down to the lower fender (like what they make for the silverado)

GRRRR8
02-02-2009, 04:39 PM
well I have 0 love for the TBSS now that I have the G8 :) just have lost interest in making it fast once I felt the rear tires spin on the G8!

There is just something about tire smoke. :woohoo:

DRCUSTOMPARTS
02-02-2009, 04:48 PM
Well that's if you can afford to buy new tires, so that leaves me out. I just dumped $700 for some all season Eagle GT's and they have to last for a few years!

r33pwrd
02-02-2009, 04:49 PM
There is just something about tire smoke. :woohoo:

I just could not get the 4 tire smoke idea out of my head :) finally gave up on that though.

But good question above... will you take paypal? I have money in my account for the intake and if you dont want paypal I will pull it out so i can send you a cashiers check!

GRRRR8
02-02-2009, 04:52 PM
Well that's if you can afford to buy new tires, so that leaves me out. I just dumped $700 for some all season Eagle GT's and they have to last for a few years!

Boy do I know what you mean. MT ET Streets went up to $202 a piece at Summit, but I found them local for $185. It seems thats nothing is cheap anymore especially when you cant just slap 28x10.50s or 12.50 on a 15 in wheel. Those were the days!

KaiserM715
02-03-2009, 12:10 PM
Where are we at with this BTW?
+1. Any updates?

SRG963
02-04-2009, 05:04 AM
+1. Any updates?

+2 lol

GRRRR8
02-04-2009, 06:40 AM
Still waiting. As soon as they let me know I will make a post.

-Ray-
02-04-2009, 02:26 PM
Are you feeling a little pressure here?

SLA
02-04-2009, 06:04 PM
Finished selling parts from my other car today and now I have money burning a hole in my pocket. Vararam and VMS tune are #1 on the list.

'02 ws6
02-04-2009, 07:56 PM
:fingerscrossed!: please don't get pushed back, please don't get pushed back, please don't............................................. ................

r33pwrd
02-04-2009, 08:03 PM
:fingerscrossed!: please don't get pushed back, please don't get pushed back, please don't............................................. ................

It will........ im saying this becasue im always wrong :)

GRRRR8
02-04-2009, 08:05 PM
It will........ im saying this becasue im always wrong :)

LOL! I think about 100 of us should just park in the parking lot at Vararam. "No presseure guys, take your time. We aint leaving until we get our Vararam!" LMAO!

r33pwrd
02-04-2009, 08:09 PM
LOL! I think about 100 of us should just park in the parking lot at Vararam. "No presseure guys, take your time. We aint leaving until we get our Vararam!" LMAO!

If they where by me I would have my tent in there parkign lot this weekend :) I dont even car about the intake that much but I want my tune! Obviosly i want the intake as well but I want my check enginelight gone!

The Commodore
02-04-2009, 09:28 PM
I need my air rammed!!

<that sounds a little....kinky....oh god>

:bm:

locrzn#92
02-05-2009, 04:15 AM
Commodor, that sounds kinda dirty.

G8GXP4now
02-05-2009, 03:17 PM
This reminds me of the Tucker movie. He was able to sell dealerships before a single car was produced.

Lets just hope that Vararam can produce more than 50 units.

GRRRR8
02-05-2009, 04:52 PM
This reminds me of the Tucker movie. He was able to sell dealerships before a single car was produced.

Lets just hope that Vararam can produce more than 50 units.

I like that movie. As long as you were not customer 51, it wasnt so bad! lol

DRCUSTOMPARTS
02-05-2009, 06:16 PM
I thought they were just waiting on the filters? That would mean they ARE producing the intake boxes.

r33pwrd
02-05-2009, 06:22 PM
either way they cant ship them yet.... tomorrow is 2 weeks and I bet there not ready! Ow well...

IOM_G8GT
02-05-2009, 06:39 PM
If you install this intake, is a tune a MUST? Or can you run it for a lil while before you get your tune?

r33pwrd
02-05-2009, 06:52 PM
If you install this intake, is a tune a MUST? Or can you run it for a lil while before you get your tune?

I think it will run rich bot not dangerous.... (from what I have read)

GRRRR8
02-05-2009, 07:01 PM
Keep in mind moving the MAF has other effects also. I personally am testing and the trans shifting was a little screwy at certain throttle points due to the MAF tables being off. Very similiar to removing the screen.

MtbDoc
02-05-2009, 07:16 PM
Finished selling parts from my other car today and now I have money burning a hole in my pocket. Vararam and VMS tune are #1 on the list.

Did I miss something? Are they working out a tune that will be specific to this intake?

GRRRR8
02-05-2009, 07:18 PM
Did I miss something? Are they working out a tune that will be specific to this intake?

Correct.

jbradG8GT
02-05-2009, 07:25 PM
I ran the prototype in my car for over 6000 miles without a tune. Didn't have any noticable problems. Around the same time it got installed I started running Premium fuel and my gas mileage dropped over 3 mpg, went from 24 mpg at 73 mph to 21 mpg. Now that my car is tuned I'm back to the normal gas mileage. So I'm not sure if moving the MAF screwed with my fuel mileage or changing to premium was the culprit, probably the MAF.

'02 ws6
02-06-2009, 05:48 AM
I was wonderg for a while if relocating MAF that much would carry any adverse effects, but you just answered that.
BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104

NYG8GT
02-06-2009, 11:19 AM
Keep in mind moving the MAF has other effects also. I personally am testing and the trans shifting was a little screwy at certain throttle points due to the MAF tables being off. Very similiar to removing the screen.

Hmm Im having the same problem after getting the OTR, my tranny seems like it has NO idea what to do with itself. Its annoying as hell, I cant wait to get it tuned. I hate driving it the way it is now if Im driving in any conditions or traffic that require heavy throttle modulation at speed :wacko:

GRRRR8
02-06-2009, 12:31 PM
That would be the the issue. A tune will take care of it.

IOM_G8GT
02-07-2009, 06:23 AM
Thanks!

CanadianEh
02-07-2009, 06:41 AM
It is cold up here in the north and I need something to do... gotta get a vararam to keep me busy for a while. 5 hours staring at it in awe and 30 minutes to put it on!:windy:

GRRRR8
02-07-2009, 06:48 AM
It is cold up here in the north and I need something to do... gotta get a vararam to keep me busy for a while. 5 hours staring at it in awe and 30 minutes to put it on!:windy:

LOL! I find myself doing that a lot!

MtbDoc
02-07-2009, 08:23 AM
Correct.

Alright...I guess it's time to get off of the bench and get into the game. I think I'll pick up this intake + headers + Vector tune and see where I'm at. Oh...and the ported intake from JFormato as well.

Charlie, if we really can get close to 400rwhp with just these mods (not opening it up) that would be amazing.

Oh, and the pulley, I guess?!?

GRRRR8
02-07-2009, 08:41 AM
I am confident that 385 can be had.

ddcook08
02-07-2009, 09:06 AM
Talked to someone from Vararam yesterday. They said they'll release it at the end of the month. Is this true Charlie? I need an OTR installed by the 24th for a big event. May have to go with the NE OTR. Any thoughts?

r33pwrd
02-07-2009, 09:07 AM
well its been 2 weeks :) where is my intake?? :) can you tell patience is not my strong point?

GRRRR8
02-07-2009, 10:20 AM
Talked to someone from Vararam yesterday. They said they'll release it at the end of the month. Is this true Charlie? I need an OTR installed by the 24th for a big event. May have to go with the NE OTR. Any thoughts?

I havent talked to them. I realized a long time ago, I will get it when I get and if I dont, I will get something else.

Darkside
02-07-2009, 11:44 AM
I think NEP OTR will be a big seller in the next few weeks if Vararam doesn't give a firm answer.

The Commodore
02-07-2009, 11:46 AM
I think NEP OTR will be a big seller in the next few weeks if Vararam doesn't give a firm answer.

I hate to say this but I agree.

Vararam needs to get us a firm date...not two weeks or end of the month. We need a firm date now.

GRRRR8
02-07-2009, 11:46 AM
Business is business. My Roto fab with my mods makes as much HP so all I was looking for was MPH, I can make a new mod for that too.

r33pwrd
02-07-2009, 12:09 PM
I hate to say this but I agree.

Vararam needs to get us a firm date...not two weeks or end of the month. We need a firm date now.

this was my complain / comments about vararam in the first place... great product but crappy about lying about release dates. Like I said when vararam first came up im still waiting on the one from my TBSS that was 2 weeks out over a year ago! :(

GRRRR8
02-07-2009, 12:12 PM
This is the norm for manufacturers. I have never seen a product hit on a release date. I knew this was going to happen and I apologize for any inconvienences this has caused any of you, but I am just the messenger.

r33pwrd
02-07-2009, 12:30 PM
This is the norm for manufacturers. I have never seen a product hit on a release date. I knew this was going to happen and I apologize for any inconvienences this has caused any of you, but I am just the messenger.

no biggie... they are energineers so they are always gonna take long than expected....

Im just going to be really pissed if the do the same crap they did with the TBSS and I wait 6 months and have to end up buying something else.

SLA
02-07-2009, 01:57 PM
Hey Charlie, do you know if or when the next time Chuck CoW is planning on coming back to the Houston area? I sent him a pm but he hasn't been online in the past few days.

MGMG8GT
02-07-2009, 03:28 PM
I'm giving it 2 more weeks. If I don't hear anything from them, I'll go with a NEP unit.

stryker g8gt
02-07-2009, 04:44 PM

Sucks to be the messenger, when you have no control over the situation........No big suprise here.......Dealt with this a lot in the HEMI Truck world...even had some CAI manufactures pre-sell then go out of business before delivering product......

CanadianEh
02-07-2009, 06:25 PM
It is no sweat to me, there is still 3 feet of snow on the ground and my G8 is not leaving the garage until the snow is gone and the roads clean up. I really want to have something on it in 2 months time though so if Vararam doesn't have a product by then... I am sure some hardcore G8 enthusiast will have nuked their shop by then anyways.

Something is telling me The Commodore will be the one doing the nuking :spank:

r33pwrd
02-07-2009, 07:00 PM
I'm giving it 2 more weeks. If I don't hear anything from them, I'll go with a NEP unit.

+1

-Ray-
02-07-2009, 07:42 PM
It is no sweat to me, there is still 3 feet of snow on the ground and my G8 is not leaving the garage until the snow is gone and the roads clean up. I really want to have something on it in 2 months time though so if Vararam doesn't have a product by then... I am sure some hardcore G8 enthusiast will have nuked their shop by then anyways.

Our snow melted today in 55 degree weather. However, my G8 is still going to be resting for a couple more months.
So...I can wait.

The Commodore
02-07-2009, 11:33 PM

LOL well I have not developed my own nuclear weapon so....I'll just shoot it up lol j/k

I actually will probably still wait for Vararam to come out with it because I truly want to see if that cold air it grabs from the grill really wakes this car up. And plus I want a "Ram-Air" sticker to add some more HP:woohoo:

stryker g8gt
02-08-2009, 06:35 AM
I hear for every 1" of a Varraam decal you but on your car, you take 2/10ths off your 1/4 mile time.....I am thinking about a VARRAAM Banner.........ZZZZoooooooooMMMMMMM!!!!!!!

GeorgeInNePa
02-08-2009, 03:38 PM
"I say we take off and nuke the whole damn site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure."

BigRob
02-08-2009, 08:49 PM
*no one in here but us chickens...

Blackrider
02-08-2009, 09:48 PM

Yeah, my G8 was parked due to snow... for 2 weeks. :woohoo: Gotta love the West Coast!

PontiacDan
02-09-2009, 03:32 PM
well, i was gonna hold out for the vararam, but i ended up ordering the volant from maryland speed. I figure even if it doesnt make the power of an otr--its still very pretty--haha

GRRRR8
02-09-2009, 03:36 PM
I would have rather seen you get the New Era or a RotoFab that makes proven power.

The Commodore
02-09-2009, 05:30 PM
well, i was gonna hold out for the vararam, but i ended up ordering the volant from maryland speed. I figure even if it doesnt make the power of an otr--its still very pretty--haha

Yeah if there was something you would get in replace of the Vararam it would have been the NEP OTR.

Well I hope you enjoy the Volant.

The Commodore
02-12-2009, 03:33 PM
Any answers?

BMan
02-12-2009, 06:29 PM
subscribing . . .

with this vararam intake, would I have to worry about ingesting a bunch of salt/road grime in the wintertime?

Just wondering about fine salt dust and whether or not it would not get properly filtered with this style intake and non-oiled filter.

Looks like a good design though for cold air.

GRRRR8
02-12-2009, 06:44 PM
This system cant ingest or be any more prone then any other for this type of issue. I have a Roto with the lower panel mod and my block off plate and have yet to find water/dirt/debris even a leaf in the lower panel, yet some would think it needs a screen or a panel to reseal it in snow or rain. To each their own.

MojaveG8
02-12-2009, 06:47 PM
Any news when this Vararam might be ready for us to buy?

GRRRR8
02-12-2009, 06:53 PM
They received the housings and latches and are waiting on the filters. They are polishing the housings(casting imperfections etc), so he still feels like it will be this month.

'02 ws6
02-12-2009, 08:12 PM
Still crossing fingers for a Feb release. Thanks for the updates BTW Charlie.

MojaveG8
02-13-2009, 04:54 AM
This month would be NICE

'02 ws6
02-13-2009, 05:13 AM
I am going to side with VaraRam on this one though. I think they're seeing the response on this board coupled with the pretty big # of buyers in the GP deal, and trying to get a release ASAP. Some companies announce big releases in future months just to stimulate interest in the company and their current products. Classic bait and switch tactic.

SLA
02-13-2009, 07:30 AM
I know I'm ready, as soon as they're on sale I'm taking a ride to Pasadena. :)

KaiserM715
02-13-2009, 07:34 AM
I know I'm ready, as soon as they're on sale I'm taking a ride to Pasadena. :)

I plan on picking it up in person, too!! It will be nice to have them local.

MtbDoc
02-13-2009, 12:10 PM
It's coming. Give them time as they seem to be able to produce excellent products. Line forms to the rear...

EcoBrick Bob
02-13-2009, 02:05 PM
My RotoFab with Charlie's lower panel mods has had bugs on the filter!

Still... interested in a used R. F. for # 2 G8 GT when you all get your VaraRam's!

Mlozano
02-15-2009, 03:14 PM
Well i registered just to get on that group buy...

The Commodore
02-15-2009, 07:39 PM
Well i registered just to get on that group buy...

There's also a lot of useful info on this board, so WELCOME!

BigRob
02-15-2009, 10:49 PM
i check everyday for a new post saying "VARARAM IS HERE"

.....no dice yet. if it really outperforms the nep otr im gonna go with it. plus the group buy discount sounds pretty bitchin too

The Commodore
02-15-2009, 11:11 PM
i check everyday for a new post saying "VARARAM IS HERE"

.....no dice yet. if it really outperforms the nep otr im gonna go with it. plus the group buy discount sounds pretty bitchin too
Same here.

I check here at least 4 times a day though...I'm desperate lol.

Mlozano
02-16-2009, 08:25 AM
I say we create a thread for a NEP OTR group buy for all those who will go NEP if the Vararam thing goes bad.

r33pwrd
02-16-2009, 09:18 AM
I say we create a thread for a NEP OTR group buy for all those who will go NEP if the Vararam thing goes bad.

I dont think Vararam will go bad... may be a few more months but I dont think they sell a single product that is not top notch.

Im just frusterated becasue the track opens in 2 weeks and I will have to go with out a tune or intake.

The Commodore
02-16-2009, 09:25 AM
I dont think Vararam will go bad... may be a few more months but I dont think they sell a single product that is not top notch.

Im just frusterated becasue the track opens in 2 weeks and I will have to go with out a tune or intake.

base line it.

I think I'm going to buy some headers since it is taking forever for the Vararam.

r33pwrd
02-16-2009, 10:15 AM
base line it.

I think I'm going to buy some headers since it is taking forever for the Vararam.

I am going to... I bet I will be the only one with $1400 headers and no intake or tune :)

SLA
02-16-2009, 10:23 AM
I am going to... I bet I will be the only one with $1400 headers and no intake or tune :)

If that happens I'll be with you, $1700 headers with no intake or a tune :( lol

WarpWhiteGT
02-16-2009, 10:43 AM
Same deal here. Want to go the track with some goodies, the wait is killing me. car dying for tune and cold air kit.

Slizzo
02-16-2009, 01:54 PM

You can build yourself a quick intake with off the shelf parts from Spectre. Their off the shelf parts are pretty good quality, and it doesn't look all that different from a New Era fenderwell type.

r33pwrd
02-16-2009, 03:37 PM
You can build yourself a quick intake with off the shelf parts from Spectre. Their off the shelf parts are pretty good quality, and it doesn't look all that different from a New Era fenderwell type.

I know I can but I hate to waste time on something I know im going to pull off.... I am just sitting here waiting on vararam! I think the intakless (is that a word?) ones should get ours first :)

SLA
02-16-2009, 06:11 PM
I know I can but I hate to waste time on something I know im going to pull off.... I am just sitting here waiting on vararam! I think the intakless (is that a word?) ones should get ours first :)

Agreed. :D

Darkside
02-16-2009, 06:19 PM

You won't. I'll have LT's and full exhaust with no tune. Might as well wait till I do the H/C package.

Mlozano
02-16-2009, 11:02 PM
Hell no... We won't go... Hell no... We won't go...

How's that sound for our rally in front of Vararam next weekend...?

r33pwrd
02-17-2009, 07:30 AM
Hell no... We won't go... Hell no... We won't go...

How's that sound for our rally in front of Vararam next weekend...?

Im sure they want to sell them just as bad as we want to buy them! Being from an r&d background I know how long even simple things can take... tooling, instructions, fastners, filters.... they have the easy part done with design now its just a matter of putting it all together. I am waiting and damn it Im trying to be patient :)

G8GT594
02-17-2009, 08:56 AM
I was thinking about get Vararam because it flows better but after reading all this ill go with NEP.

GRRRR8
02-17-2009, 09:06 AM
I was thinking about get Vararam because it flows better but after reading all this ill go with NEP.

Reading all what? That it isnt done yet? I dont base my decision on time I base it on power. If I based it on time, I would be driving a Charger, as there were no G8s in Texas for 3 months after they said there would be.

r33pwrd
02-17-2009, 09:24 AM
That was just a little rude... a person should be able to buy whatever intake they want, it is their paycheck. I am sure the Vararam will perform amazingly but for most people there is a limit on how long they will wait for something that might give only a couple HP more then the competitors. Not everyone is trying so suck every single HP they can out of their cars.

The nice thing about being in the US is you can do what you want.

GRRRR8
02-17-2009, 09:29 AM
That was just a little rude... a person should be able to buy whatever intake they want, it is their paycheck. I am sure the Vararam will perform amazingly but for most people there is a limit on how long they will wait for something that might give only a couple HP more then the competitors. Not everyone is trying so suck every single HP they can out of their cars.

I am not telling anybody what to buy and dont care 1 way or the other. I will probably have all 3 for testing and like I said from day 1, which ever 1 makes the car the fastest is the one that stays on the car. Rude is when someone constantly makes snide comments about anything for no apparent reason and thats not me. If people want to wait they will, but to make a comment like that wasnt necessary on his part. SOON all that will be fixed anyways.

CanadianEh
02-17-2009, 09:31 AM
The nice thing about being in the US is you can do what you want.

US isn't the only country like that! :Canada: :woohoo:

CanadianEh
02-17-2009, 09:35 AM
SOON all that will be fixed anyways.

I will be a happy when that day comes! I will leave 2 big strips in front of the house to commemorate the great occasion.

:prostock:

GRRRR8
02-17-2009, 09:38 AM
I will be a happy when that day comes! I will leave 2 big strips in front of the house to commemorate the great occasion.

:prostock:

I leave 2 strips everytime I take off regardless! :)

r33pwrd
02-17-2009, 10:01 AM
US isn't the only country like that! :Canada: :woohoo:

ya until you want to decide what doctor you want to go see :)

GRRRR8
02-17-2009, 10:03 AM
ya until you want to decide what doctor you want to go see :)

I just visited with 2 really good friends of a good friend of mine from Canada and they said that Dr shit is out of control!

The Commodore
02-17-2009, 11:55 AM
VaraRam....?

wreckwriter
02-17-2009, 11:57 AM
VaraRam....?

Vara who? :)

The Commodore
02-17-2009, 12:03 PM
Vara who? :)

The company that is supposed to pop my car's modding cherry.

lol

I think ARH might pop it now.

r33pwrd
02-17-2009, 01:22 PM
The company that is supposed to pop my car's modding cherry.

lol

I think ARH might pop it now.

Kooks did mine for me :)

g8torade
02-17-2009, 02:57 PM
checked the site and more specifically this thread for updates and noticed that there are 2 new pages since i last checked it (last night). so of course i get a little excited only to see how far off topic the thread went and still no sign of a vararam intake. february is almost over!

Mlozano
02-18-2009, 06:53 AM
Well... you can take your time now Vararam! Money's going toward porting.

99-LS1-SS
02-18-2009, 06:55 AM
Well... you can take your time now Vararam! Money's going toward porting.

Please don't take your time. I still want one! :)

r33pwrd
02-18-2009, 07:49 AM
Please don't take your time. I still want one! :)

:punch:

'02 ws6
02-25-2009, 07:23 AM
I guess I'll revive the curiosity since it's nearing the end of the month......Any word Charlie?

r33pwrd
02-25-2009, 07:34 AM
I guess I'll revive the curiosity since it's nearing the end of the month......Any word Charlie?

Thanks! I didnt have the balls to bring it back up yet :)