PDA

View Full Version : Reliability

p71
01-24-2009, 12:39 PM
I am going with a cam and heads package, hoping to put down roughly 442 HP and 411 TQ. I Am just wondering what is going to break first. This is going to be my daily driver and will probably the first car I am going to keep for more than a year in a long time.

Thoughts are appreciated.

Darkside
01-24-2009, 01:40 PM
I'm hoping for 450rwhp (bit more aggressive of a cam) myself. I'm not too worried about breaking anything. My only bit of a concern will be the tranny. I plan on installing a stall converter and will be going to the track.

Out of curiousity, who are you going through and who will tune your car?

MANOFSTEEL69
01-24-2009, 01:55 PM
The two-piece drive line will probably more than likely be the first thing to go IMO

-Ray-
01-24-2009, 02:16 PM
I am going with a cam and heads package, hoping to put down roughly 442 HP and 411 TQ. I Am just wondering what is going to break first. This is going to be my daily driver and will probably the first car I am going to keep for more than a year in a long time.

I think the rear tires will be going 1st. There are G8's with more power being punished and nothings been broken yet. Minus the one engine that let go.

MANOFSTEEL69
01-24-2009, 02:19 PM
I think the rear tires will be going 1st. There are G8's with more power being punished and nothings been broken yet. Minus the one engine that let go.

That's a given on the tires. As for the cars being beaten on, when there's more of us that aren't "shop" owned we'll really see what breaks and doesn't lol.:prostock:

edmanet
01-24-2009, 03:37 PM
I'd also like to hear about reliability. I too want to add a cam. I'm thinking about a stage 1 kit from Livernois or Vector. I'm not worried about engine problems. I believe the trans will go first with 425hp or more.

I don't want to spend 3 or 4 grand then have the tranny break after a few thousand miles.

Ktlplxm
01-24-2009, 07:02 PM

HAHAHA Nice to be remembered Ray

p71
01-25-2009, 03:11 AM
I'm hoping for 450rwhp (bit more aggressive of a cam) myself. I'm not too worried about breaking anything. My only bit of a concern will be the tranny. I plan on installing a stall converter and will be going to the track.

Out of curiousity, who are you going through and who will tune your car?

Livernois Stage 1.5. Got my number estimates from another user on here who did similar mods to what I am looking at.

Andy's latest quote is about $500 above where I want to be price wise but I may have to suck it up or juggle some mods a little...

still have not quite finalised the package I want. Debating Converter vs. Headers... Long vs. short headers... paper vs plastic... great taste less filling...

Darkside
01-25-2009, 07:27 AM
still have not quite finalised the package I want. Debating Converter vs. Headers... Long vs. short headers... paper vs plastic... great taste less filling...

Converter vs. Headers --------- Both, what are you thinking?
Long vs. short ----------------- Long, do it right the first time
Paper vs. plastic--------------- Plastic, it holds dog poop better
taste vs filling------------------ Taste, we are all overweight anyways

99-LS1-SS
01-25-2009, 07:28 AM

+1

p71
01-25-2009, 09:34 AM

1. Duh eventually... just which to do first... again little oer budget as it is
2. Yes obviously long are better but there are more things to worry about than better... like price and well other things.
3. I use canvas... I am a tree huger at heart
4. I am in the military and get a waiver on body composition standards due to my low weight and BMI :b

Aim High... or whatever the moto is this week.

Kirk@VectorMotorsports
01-26-2009, 06:30 AM

I would not worry about any engine problems. We have installed countless head/cam packages over the last 10.5 years. All on GM LSX engines. If the package is put together right you should have no issues. We have cars with well over 100,000 miles with no problems.

GEE8GEETEE
01-26-2009, 11:09 AM
Sucks, I want LT headers but can't. Stupid NJ DMV

r33pwrd
01-26-2009, 11:49 AM
Sucks, I want LT headers but can't. Stupid NJ DMV

and Obama just made it a little harder for us as well!

Slizzo
01-26-2009, 01:10 PM
Wont SLP headers work for you in that case GEE8?

GEE8GEETEE
01-26-2009, 01:53 PM
I don't know will it ??? I thought all LT headers were not emission legal here. Only POS Shorties

G8GXP4now
01-26-2009, 02:37 PM
I am guessing something in the transmission will fail first. You doing a converter too?

Featherburner
01-26-2009, 05:53 PM
Sucks, I want LT headers but can't. Stupid NJ DMVPut them on. No one will know or care. Cars pass with long tubes and cats everyday at the NJ MVC.

p71
01-26-2009, 09:07 PM
I am guessing something in the transmission will fail first. You doing a converter too?

Eventually....

GEE8GEETEE
01-27-2009, 05:21 AM
Put them on. No one will know or care. Cars pass with long tubes and cats everyday at the NJ MVC.

So you think the LT's w/ high flow cats would pass ?

bozidar8
01-27-2009, 08:47 AM
oh god I hope so. I would like to know because i'm in NJ as well.

GEE8GEETEE
01-27-2009, 11:19 AM
I don't know if anyone knows for sure. If they did I wish they would tell me !!!

p71
01-27-2009, 01:40 PM
It you move your cat more than three inches it is in violation... so slp will probably fail a visual test. Depending on if they do a start up level test the cats will fail cause they take longer to fire up than the OE... if they let you drive up and stick a sniffer in your exhaust you will pass.

GEE8GEETEE
01-27-2009, 01:47 PM
crap....i hate NJ

p71
01-27-2009, 02:41 PM
BOT- anyone think anything else will need fortifying?

GeorgeInNePa
01-27-2009, 03:55 PM

I concur.

Featherburner
01-27-2009, 05:28 PM
So you think the LT's w/ high flow cats would pass ?Yes.

oh god I hope so. I would like to know because i'm in NJ as well.

I don't know if anyone knows for sure. If they did I wish they would tell me !!!My buddy went last week with an 02 Camaro SS with longtubes and a catted y pipe and went right through.