PDA

View Full Version : G8 battery removal/possible corrosion

-Ray-
01-24-2009, 11:30 AM
Charlie, here are the pics promised.
Later I'll do a thread on how to remove the battery for those that need help.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
01-24-2009, 11:38 AM
All batteries will corrode to some degree, and it doesn't look like yours is excessive.

-Ray-
01-24-2009, 11:51 AM
All batteries will corrode to some degree, and it doesn't look like yours is excessive.

The battery isn't corroded. Since the car is less than a year on the street I wouldn't expect it to.
I talked to charlie on the phone earlier, so he knows what to look for.
Just to give you a little info on me, I've been driving since 1968 and worked at the dealership with my Dad when I was younger.
Now I'm an applications engineer working in the automotive industry. I was simply pointing out a potential issue with the G8 battery.

wreckwriter
01-24-2009, 12:05 PM
Mine was 10x that.

-Ray-
01-24-2009, 12:18 PM
Mines been parked for a couple months now. I checked the voltage and it was 11.79v. I'm guessing it may not have started had I tried. I took the battery out to put it on the charger.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
01-24-2009, 12:19 PM
Ray if you have all those credentials why are you asking Charlie? I'm just a Tool & Die Maker and I can see it looks ok.

-Ray-
01-24-2009, 12:25 PM
Because I value Charlie's opinion. I was a die maker before my current job.
In regards to your previous post, I just thought you were stating the obvious.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
01-24-2009, 12:58 PM
I went to school to be a mechanic and have worked on my own cars for 30 years, so I do know a little bit about them. And in all those years I have never seen a battery that was corrosion free, and I would say yours looks very good.

MANOFSTEEL69
01-24-2009, 01:05 PM
Ray, thanks for sharing what could be possibly a "long" term issue with us, if not an immediate one.
Hey Drcustom.....ease up a little. I keep seeing an ongoing trend with your posts. We are here to share, learn and pass on what we can. You shouldn't have to pound your chest with every post. Thanks.

GRRRR8
01-24-2009, 01:08 PM
Ray if you have all those credentials why are you asking Charlie? I'm just a Tool & Die Maker and I can see it looks ok.

Just curious, I see you have a tendency to be a bit of a smart-ass, picky and rude at times. Is there a reason? This site does not tolerate that or should I say I dont tolerate it. I have read your posts on G8 Boards also is why I am bringing this up now. I am not trying to be rude, just curious.

MANOFSTEEL69
01-24-2009, 01:11 PM
Just curious, I see you have a tendency to be a bit of a smart-ass, picky and rude at times. Is there a reason? This site does not tolerate that or should I say I dont tolerate it. I have read your posts on G8 Boards also is why I am bringing this up now. I am not trying to be rude, just curious.

That and the smart-ass position is already filled! :tigger:

GRRRR8
01-24-2009, 01:13 PM

LMAO!! Yes Jay you are our resident SA. Whether I like it or not! LOL!

-Ray-
01-24-2009, 01:16 PM
Here's a pic of the battery for those that haven't seen there's yet.
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t16/ElecBlueG6GT/G8/battery/DSCF1210.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t16/ElecBlueG6GT/G8/battery/DSCF1214.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t16/ElecBlueG6GT/G8/battery/DSCF1212.jpg

MANOFSTEEL69
01-24-2009, 01:23 PM
Not much we can do other than a heavy coating of white litheum grease is there?

wreckwriter
01-24-2009, 01:30 PM
Things get a lot trickier if you try to take the tray out too. Fuse box is attached to it, I couldn't get mine off.

wreckwriter
01-24-2009, 01:31 PM

With back-ups :)

-Ray-
01-24-2009, 01:31 PM
I'll coat the terminals with grease when I put it back in. I have it on the charger now, charging at 2 amps.
The 2nd pic shows the foam rubber to have a brown discoloration. I'm not sure what this is. Also, you can see where the red wire is worn through the foam rubber. What you can't see in that pic, is the insulation is also abraded through to the wire.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
01-24-2009, 01:37 PM
All I said was it looked ok, and I just thought Ray could determine that with his background. I don't see anything rude about that.

-Ray-
01-24-2009, 01:46 PM
All I said was it looked ok, and I just thought Ray could determine that with his background. I don't see anything rude about that.

Unfortunately, you missed the point of my thread. It was intended for Charlie, and the battery is not the issue.

Roadmap for those that are lost. LOL
I removed my battery so I can turn my key on and move my car so the kids could paint in the garage. I noticed some "substance" on the foam rubber surrounding the positive battery cable. While talking to charlie, he asked me to post pics so he can see it.

Cliff notes.
Some wierd shit on a cable. Charlie wants to see it. I took pic and posted.
Here we are. :)

GRRRR8
01-24-2009, 01:53 PM
The brown spot is battery acid vapors and the cables just need to be cleaned and spray a protectant and monitor every 3-6 months. Delco batteries are known for their seepage issues. I cant tell you how many Suburban/Tahoes have eaten through the a/c lines that I have had to do battery, cables, and a/c lines!

DRCUSTOMPARTS
01-24-2009, 01:59 PM
It didn't say that it was for Charlie only in the title, so I figured I would answer it for you. If you guys are going to get your feathers ruffled and throw false accusations at me, I have other better things to do than help people here.

-Ray-
01-24-2009, 02:05 PM
It didn't say that it was for Charlie only in the title, so I figured I would answer it for you. If you guys are going to get your feathers ruffled and throw false accusations at me, I have other better things to do than help people here.

I'm not ruffled. I also didn't throw any accusations. However, the post clearly was directed to Charlie.

Charlie, here are the pics promised.

GRRRR8
01-24-2009, 02:10 PM
All members appreciate help. Like I said, it appears that you talk to people like they are stupid. I will remind you about the posts on the other site as well. This is only the second time in almost 5000 posts that I have had to do something like this, so I know its not me. I appreciate your expertise as I have a ton of it, but if we make people feel like shit when we respond, how are we helping them. I had to tone it way back since I have started this site, as per the suggestion of a member I really respect. He made me realize that if everyone knew everything, I would be out of a job and there would not be a reason to have a site like this.

-Ray-
01-24-2009, 02:43 PM
I didn't think about closing the trunk without a battery in the car. :(

wreckwriter
01-24-2009, 02:57 PM
I didn't think about closing the trunk without a battery in the car. :(

Manual release just inside back seat pass through. right side I believe.

GeorgeInNePa
01-24-2009, 05:45 PM
The brown spot is battery acid vapors and the cables just need to be cleaned and spray a protectant and monitor every 3-6 months. Delco batteries are known for their seepage issues. I cant tell you how many Suburban/Tahoes have eaten through the a/c lines that I have had to do battery, cables, and a/c lines!

For a case of the vapors, I would perscribe a strong tonic and a rubdown with liniment.