PDA

View Full Version : Deep Trany Pan DIY

GeoffA
07-29-2012, 02:36 PM
Post your pics of the install... Mine will be up this week.

I do have questions for those of you who have done this mod.

1) Did you just unscrew the bolts to the stock pan, remove it and then place the new hardware on? ie filter, gasket new pan.

2) after the new stuff is on did you fill with 6qts of dex VI and then do tHe check fluid method per the service manual?

Just wondering how easy/ hard it is to do in the garage on jack stands.

Thanks for any and all input

GeoffA
07-29-2012, 02:53 PM
This is the service procedure on a 2007 Corvette. Same procedure for ours.

Testing and Inspection

Transmission Fluid Checking

This procedure checks both the transmission fluid level, as well as the condition of the fluid itself. Since the transmission on this vehicle is not equipped with a fill tube and dipstick, a tube in the bottom pan is used to set the fluid level.

Notice: The transmission fluid level must be checked when the transmission fluid temperature (TFT) is between 30-50°C (86-122°F). If the TFT is not within this range, operate the vehicle or allow the fluid to cool as required. Setting the fluid level with a TFT outside this range will result in either an under or over-filled transmission. TFT>50°C =under-filled, TFT<30°C =over-filled. An under-filled transmission will cause premature component wear or damage. An over-filled transmission will cause fluid to discharge out the vent tube, fluid foaming, or pump cavitation.

1. Observe the TFT using the driver information center (DIC) or a scan tool.
2. Start and idle the engine.
3. Depress the brake pedal and move the shift lever through each gear range. Pause for at least 3 seconds in each range. Move the shift lever back to PARK. Ensure the engine RPM is low (500-800 RPM).
4. Allow the engine to idle for at least 1 minute.
5. Raise the vehicle on a hoist. The vehicle must be level, with the engine running and the shift lever in the PARK range.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm132/charlesvanwormer/2007CorvetteTestInspecPic.jpg

Notice: THE ENGINE MUST BE RUNNING when the trans oil level check plug is removed or excessive fluid loss will occur, resulting in an under-filled condition. An under-filled transmission will cause premature component wear or damage.

Important: Continue to monitor the TFT. If the TFT is not within the specified values, reinstall the trans oil level check plug and repeat the previous steps.

6. Remove the trans oil level check plug (1) from the transmission fluid pan. Allow any fluid (2) to drain.

If the fluid is flowing as a steady stream, wait until the fluid begins to drip.
If no fluid comes out, add fluid until fluid drips out.

7. Inspect the fluid color. The fluid should be red or dark brown.

If the fluid color is very dark or black and has a burnt odor, inspect the fluid and inside of the bottom pan for excessive metal particles or other debris. A small amount of "friction" material in the bottom pan is a "normal" condition. If large pieces and/or metal particles are noted in the fluid or bottom pan, flush the oil cooler and cooler lines and overhaul the transmission. If there are no signs of transmission internal damage noted, replace the fluid filter assembly, repair the oil cooler, and flush the cooler lines.

Fluid that is cloudy or milky or appears to be contaminated with water indicates engine coolant or water contamination. Refer to Engine Coolant/Water in Transmission. See: Testing and Inspection\Symptom Related Diagnostic Procedures\Engine Coolant/Water in Transmission
8. Replace the trans oil level check plug and tighten to 25 N.m (18 lb ft).
9. Inspect for external leaks.
10. Reset the oil life monitor only if the fluid was changed.

Transmission Fluid Fill Procedure

Notice: Use Dexron VI transmission fluid only. Failure to use the proper fluid may result in transmission internal damage.

Perform this procedure for vehicles with transmissions that are not equipped with a fill tube and dipstick. Based on accessibility, transmission fluid may be added through the fluid fill tube plug assembly (1) hole or through the oil level check plug (2) hole in the bottom of the transmission fluid pan.

Tools Required
DT 47784 Transmission Fluid Fill Pan Adapter
J 45096 Transmission Oil Cooling System Flush and Flow Test Tool
J 45096-30 Transmission Cooler Flush Adapters
J 45096-40 Transflow Oil Fill Adapter
Fill Tube Plug Method

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm132/charlesvanwormer/2007CorvetteProceduresPic1.jpg

Notice: Before removing the transmission fluid fill tube plug assembly, thoroughly clean around the plug to prevent dirt or contaminants from entering the transmission during plug removal. Use compressed air to dislodge any caked dirt that may be stuck on and around the plug area. Use a mirror to confirm the area is free of dirt before removing the plug. Failure to clean around the plug may result in transmission contamination.

1. Clean around the fluid fill tube plug.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm132/charlesvanwormer/2007CorvetteProceduresPic2.jpg

Important: It may be necessary to use a long pair of 90 degree needle nose pliers to lift the plunger and remove the plug assembly.

2. Unlock the fill tube plug by lifting the plunger. Once the plunger is lifted, remove the entire plug assembly.
3. Determine the approximate amount of fluid needed to fill the transmission, based on the repair performed. Refer to Fluid Capacity Specifications. To avoid an under-fill condition, slightly overfill the transmission, and then allow the extra fluid to drain during the fluid checking procedure.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm132/charlesvanwormer/2007CorvetteProceduresPic3.jpg

Important: The J 45096 is being utilized as a convenient method to pump the fluid into the bottom pan. A suitable hand pump may also be used instead. When using the J 45096, monitor the display panel to determine the amount of fluid being pumped from the tool supply tank into the transmission.

4. Using the J 45096-40 (1) and the J 45096 (2), or a suitable hand pump, add transmission fluid through the fill tube plug opening. Refer to Automatic Transmission Oil Cooler Flushing and Flow Test (J 45096) for complete J 45096 operating instructions. Use the FLOW position on the main function switch to pump the fluid.
5. Check the fluid level.

Check Plug Method

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm132/charlesvanwormer/2007CorvetteProceduresPic4.jpg

Important: When the oil level check plug is removed with the engine OFF, transmission fluid may drain from the hole.

1. Remove the oil level check plug.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm132/charlesvanwormer/2007CorvetteProceduresPic5.jpg

2. Install the DT 47784 (1) and, if necessary, one adapter from the J 45096-30 (2).
3. Determine the approximate amount of fluid needed to fill the transmission, based on the repair performed. Refer to Fluid Capacity Specifications. To avoid an under-fill condition, slightly overfill the transmission, and then allow the extra fluid to drain during the fluid checking procedure. Important: The J 45096 is being utilized as a convenient method to pump the fluid into the bottom pan. A suitable hand pump may also be used instead. When using the J 45096, monitor the display panel to determine the amount of fluid being pumped from the tool supply tank into the transmission.
4. Using the DT 47784 (1), J 45096-30 (2), and the J 45096 (3), add transmission fluid through the check plug hole. Refer to Automatic Transmission Oil Cooler Flushing and Flow Test (J 45096) for complete J 45096 operating instructions. Use the FLOW position on the main function switch to pump the fluid. Important: Failure to start the engine and move the shift lever through the gear ranges before removing the DT 47784 and J 45096-30 from the bottom pan will result in an excess amount of fluid draining from the check plug hole. This may lead to an under-fill condition.
5. Start the engine and move the shift lever through each gear range. Pause for at least 3 seconds in each gear range.
6. With the engine still running, remove the DT 47784 (1), J 45096-30 (2), and J 45096 (3) and then check the fluid level.

Information supplied courtesy of Alldatapro.com

-Ray-
07-29-2012, 04:18 PM
I forgot to take pics.

GeoffA
07-29-2012, 04:27 PM
Boo...

Any input on the above? I can just jack her up without running, remove the old and in with the new?

-Ray-
07-29-2012, 05:13 PM
Drain it with the drain plug. There will still be fluid in the pan so lean a couple bolts loose so you can get a good grip on when you take it down.
Get a bunch of rags.
Pull the filter straight down. I didn't remove the metal piece above the filter.
Push the new filter straight on. Don't twist.
Remove magnet from old pan , clean it off and put it in the new pan.
gasket only goes on one way. Torque is only 80 inch lbs. I flaked out and did 100 inch lbs. not going to worry about it.
I bought a transfer pump to fill the transmission directly from the trans fluid bottle.
Get it warmed up and top off fluids. Dealership was perfect for me. Filled for no charge.

todds87ss
07-30-2012, 08:33 AM
Drain it with the drain plug. There will still be fluid in the pan so lean a couple bolts loose so you can get a good grip on when you take it down.
Get a bunch of rags.
Pull the filter straight down. I didn't remove the metal piece above the filter.
Push the new filter straight on. Don't twist.
Remove magnet from old pan , clean it off and put it in the new pan.
gasket only goes on one way. Torque is only 80 inch lbs. I flaked out and did 100 inch lbs. not going to worry about it.
I bought a transfer pump to fill the transmission directly from the trans fluid bottle.
Get it warmed up and top off fluids. Dealership was perfect for me. Filled for no charge.

This.
My tips...
remove 1/2 of the bolts initially. Slowly back of the other (rear) bolts to slow the release of the fluid. As you slowly back them off, the corner of the pan drops slowly allowing you to catch all of the fluid.
Also, the gasket will hold the bolts, so you can thread them through the new pan and gasket, then raise it into position. This make the install very easy!

SpeedRacerX
11-07-2013, 07:51 AM
I'm at 92,000 miles right now and thought a deep pan kit, filter and trans fluid change might be a good idea.

What a PITA this looks like?

Do any of the trans tube solutions out there work? Lokar, B&M flexible, etc????? If I do that at the same time, it will make refilling and checking easier, I think.

Any advice?

norm8332
11-07-2013, 01:15 PM
http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=21182&highlight=Lokar

tchr49
11-07-2013, 02:41 PM
I'm at 92,000 miles right now and thought a deep pan kit, filter and trans fluid change might be a good idea.

Do any of the trans tube solutions out there work? Lokar, B&M flexible, etc????? If I do that at the same time, it will
make refilling and checking easier, I think.

Any advice?

Make sure the dipstick is sealed well. There was a thread on this board (or somewhere else....) where a member installed a trans dipstick. Didn't seal it. Water got in his trans and that was that.

-Ray-
11-07-2013, 02:45 PM

Do any of the trans tube solutions out there work? Lokar, B&M flexible, etc????? If I do that at the same time, it will make refilling and checking easier, I think.

Any advice?

Personally, I would keep it sealed. That's just me. I bought a pump to fill the trans.

SpeedRacerX
11-07-2013, 03:11 PM
Personally, I would keep it sealed. That's just me. I bought a pump to fill the trans.

Yes. I am leaning toward leaving it sealed and avoiding that risk.

By pump, do you mean the manual ones you can buy at an auto store? I have one I used to fill the diff on my son's formula because there was no way a bottle would fit anywhere near it.

Or did you buy something more extravagant?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

G8GT721
11-07-2013, 05:59 PM
^i bought a weed sprayer from Ace Hardware and stuck a small piece of hose on the spray tip to get up to the fill hole, works pretty well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1) 2
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/11/zena8ady.jpg

-Ray-
11-08-2013, 02:40 AM
Yes. I am leaning toward leaving it sealed and avoiding that risk.

By pump, do you mean the manual ones you can buy at an auto store? I have one I used to fill the diff on my son's formula because there was no way a bottle would fit anywhere near it.

Or did you buy something more extravagant?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

This is the pump I bought.

Siphon pump (http://www.homedepot.com/p/ARNOLD-Siphon-Pump-Kit-490-850-0008/203051321#.UnzBMFOiJTA)

TooManyHobbies
11-08-2013, 08:32 AM
Make sure the dipstick is sealed well. There was a thread on this board (or somewhere else....) where a member installed a trans dipstick. Didn't seal it. Water got in his trans and that was that.

I had the Radical Advantage dipstick and removed it a couple years ogo after I found that it had become unseated. Luckily I must have found it in time because no harm was done. If I put another on it would be something like the Lokar.

TooManyHobbies
11-08-2013, 08:35 AM
This is the pump I bought.

Siphon pump (http://www.homedepot.com/p/ARNOLD-Siphon-Pump-Kit-490-850-0008/203051321#.UnzBMFOiJTA)

The one I got looks identical to it except it was an O'Reilley brand. I may see if I can find some thicker wall tubing to replace the red stuff. I found the thin red tubing was too easy to get a fold in and block the flow.

STL_G8GT
11-08-2013, 09:56 AM
The one I got looks identical to it except it was an O'Reilley brand. I may see if I can find some thicker wall tubing to replace the red stuff. I found the thin red tubing was too easy to get a fold in and block the flow.

I always burn those damn tubes against the exhaust...

hflores3
11-09-2013, 07:51 PM

What pump Ray? ..........never mind