PDA

View Full Version : Cold starting problem 4.3L Vortec 6 cyl

BW G8GT
01-23-2009, 05:47 PM
Hello Charlie,

I have a 2002 Chevy Xtreme Blazer that's been hard to start in the morning lately. I have to crank engine several times (8-9) before it will start. This only happens when I first attempt to start after car sits all night.

Once car starts everything is fine. I go to work and park, car sits a few hours until I go out to lunch; car starts right up. At the end of work day car starts right up.

I've searched the internet for cold staring problems, and found a few trouble shooting suggestions concerning fuel pump pressure, coolant sensor and fuel injectors.

The fuel pump went out two years ago and was replaced along with the fuel filter.

What are some other things I can check before taking car to repair shop?

Thanks,

Brian

-Ray-
01-23-2009, 06:04 PM
Fuel pressure regulator may be a problem. Turn the key on and give it a few seconds before trying to start it. If it starts easier after waiting, that might be it.

GRRRR8
01-23-2009, 06:08 PM
Fuel pressure regulators are a very common issue on this engine. It is located inside the plenum cover.

BW G8GT
01-23-2009, 07:24 PM
Thanks Guys. I appreciate the input.

G8GT594
01-23-2009, 08:42 PM
I know its off topic but want to sell me your front ground effect and fog lights? LOL im just playing, hope you get it worked out! My 04 Xtreme hasnt had a problem starting yet in this cold weather 43k on her.

todds87ss
01-24-2009, 05:16 AM
I had a related issue once with leaking fuel injectors bleeding the fuel pressure overnight. This will cause excessive smoke on the first start of the day; a good way to differentiate it from the regulator failure.

BW G8GT
01-24-2009, 06:52 AM
Thanks todds87ss.

I'm going to try and remove fuel injector assembly and have it checked.

GRRRR8
01-24-2009, 06:55 AM
When you remove the plenum cover it will be obvious if the regulator is bad. You will see where the gas has washed away all the carbon deposits. A fast inspection trick is to remove the bonnet off the throttle body and open the throttle plate and shine a light down towards the rear and you can see the same thing and you will smell the fuel.

BW G8GT
01-24-2009, 07:25 AM
Thanks Charlie. I'll try your suggestion. If the regulator is the problem it doesn't look to hard to replace. Hopefully that's all is needed.