PDA

View Full Version : Installation of aftermarket stall converter

g8_795
01-23-2009, 03:28 PM
Has anybody installed an aftermarket stall converter in their garage? If so, can you give me some tips/shortcuts? I will be trying this in about a 1-2 weeks.
Any and all info will help.
Thanks,
-Robert

GRRRR8
01-23-2009, 06:23 PM
This will be a task on the ground. You will want to rent a trans jack that is similiar to a floor jack as the trans is heavy. This is not like bench pressing a Turbo 350.

lsp408
01-23-2009, 06:27 PM
and

make sure you get a buddy there just in case (I did it by myself but sucks)

make sure you jack your car up high enough

make sure you are ready to swing in the tranny fluid

g8_795
01-24-2009, 06:13 AM
Thanks guys. This place is always very helpful.

Charlie, your site has really taken off. Looks good.

Couple more questions.

Do you have to support the back of the engine during this?

Do you have to replace any of the seals?

lsp408, How long did it take you to do this?

Seems like the hardest part is going to get the car level to top off the transmission fluid???

Thanks again,

GRRRR8
01-24-2009, 06:24 AM
If the rear main seal is leaking, now would be the time to change it. If you are in a hot climate(4+ months 90+ degrees) install a trans cooler. I would say doing it without a lift, maybe 7 hours max not killing yourself. The site is doing very well. It really amazes me sometimes, but I do spend a LOT of time making it grow.

CanadianEh
01-25-2009, 05:27 PM
Would it be dangerous to do this yourself? I am worried about sensors for the most part in these high tech cars. If it is just a straight swap I don't think I would have any problem with it.

g8_795
01-29-2009, 01:26 PM
Does anybody know if you have to support the engine while the transmission is removed from the vehicle? My Circle-D 3600 arrived today, and am trying to plan the installation so that I can get it done in one weekend (hopefully in one day).

'02 ws6
01-29-2009, 06:47 PM
No, the K-member and mounts will support the engine, just worry about the trans.

lsp408
01-29-2009, 09:47 PM
Thanks guys. This place is always very helpful.

Charlie, your site has really taken off. Looks good.

Couple more questions.

Do you have to support the back of the engine during this?

Do you have to replace any of the seals?

lsp408, How long did it take you to do this?

Seems like the hardest part is going to get the car level to top off the transmission fluid???

Thanks again,

Took me total of 4 days to do ARH 1 7/8 exhause, plugs and wires, converter, trans cooler.

I know it took me forever to completed but I was by myself with only hand tool and 2 floor jacks and 6 jack stands.

I say the hardest part is to remove torque converter from tranny under the car without break your arm!!!

The other thing I can think of it is that MAKE sure if you get any type of aftermarket CAI, make sure to disconnect from the throttle body.

as soon as tranny is off back of motor, the motor will tilt quite bit forward.

in order to put tranny back in, you need to jack up front of motor (I did it on the balancer with 2X4) to tilt motor back so the tranny can meet with the back of motor.

as far as keep car level to top it off the tranny fluid, just take measurement before you jack up the car. get all 4 corner (jacking point to ground) measurements. for example, back of car is higher then front for 2 inches.

so you set up your jack stand 2 inches higher on the back than front. the car should be pretty close to level in the air.

next thing is don't get burn while fill up the tranny fluid!!!

good luck

ronbuick
02-05-2009, 04:27 PM
How is the tranny fluid put into these tranny's, is it thru the plug on the right side or pass. side of trans that kinda looks where the dipstick tube SHOULD be?? thanks.

Ron

g8_795
02-05-2009, 04:58 PM
Took me total of 4 days to do ARH 1 7/8 exhause, plugs and wires, converter, trans cooler.

I know it took me forever to completed but I was by myself with only hand tool and 2 floor jacks and 6 jack stands.

I say the hardest part is to remove torque converter from tranny under the car without break your arm!!!

The other thing I can think of it is that MAKE sure if you get any type of aftermarket CAI, make sure to disconnect from the throttle body.

as soon as tranny is off back of motor, the motor will tilt quite bit forward.

in order to put tranny back in, you need to jack up front of motor (I did it on the balancer with 2X4) to tilt motor back so the tranny can meet with the back of motor.

as far as keep car level to top it off the tranny fluid, just take measurement before you jack up the car. get all 4 corner (jacking point to ground) measurements. for example, back of car is higher then front for 2 inches.

so you set up your jack stand 2 inches higher on the back than front. the car should be pretty close to level in the air.

next thing is don't get burn while fill up the tranny fluid!!!

good luck

No, the K-member and mounts will support the engine, just worry about the trans.

Thanks guys. I will be installing my Circle-D stall and Livernois Stage II non-DOD cam in about two weeks. The cam is on the way. I can't wait.

:repair:

lsp408
02-05-2009, 07:03 PM
How is the tranny fluid put into these tranny's, is it thru the plug on the right side or pass. side of trans that kinda looks where the dipstick tube SHOULD be?? thanks.

Ron

you are correct.

just start the car and go through all gear then back to park (car should be cold). then remove the bolt on the tranny pan, remove the plug where dipstick tube suppose to be. fill the tranny until the fluid coming out of the bolt hole (don't get burn by the exhause) then install the bolt and plug. thats it. (make sure you do it fast before everything gets really hot)

wreckwriter
02-06-2009, 04:58 AM

Ron

Yes

g8_795
02-06-2009, 06:23 AM
We seriously need a better way to check/fill the fluid in the transmission.

ronbuick
02-06-2009, 06:48 AM
Do you really need to fill the trans while it is running? if you removed the plug where the dipstick SHOULD be could you not just fill it til it runs out of the plug hole, so I'm guessing that when you remove the drain type plug at the rear of the trans there must be some kind of a stand pipe they use for the excess fuild to come out when you are filling thru the hole where the dipstick SHOULD be, reason I'm asking all these questions is when I install my cooler I will lose some fluid and then need to also make of the diff. for the cooler too, what would happen if you just removed the upper plug and just added fluid til it came out of there?? with the motor not running, It would be nice if someone in the know could post a sticky on just how to this step by step, thanks.

Ron

GRRRR8
02-06-2009, 06:53 AM
Needs to be running and 100-120 degrees I believe. A lot of transmissions are filled like this now.

GeorgeInNePa
02-06-2009, 07:08 AM
We seriously need a better way to check/fill the fluid in the transmission.

Do you really need to fill the trans while it is running? if you removed the plug where the dipstick SHOULD be could you not just fill it til it runs out of the plug hole, so I'm guessing that when you remove the drain type plug at the rear of the trans there must be some kind of a stand pipe they use for the excess fuild to come out when you are filling thru the hole where the dipstick SHOULD be, reason I'm asking all these questions is when I install my cooler I will lose some fluid and then need to also make of the diff. for the cooler too, what would happen if you just removed the upper plug and just added fluid til it came out of there?? with the motor not running, It would be nice if someone in the know could post a sticky on just how to this step by step, thanks.

Ron

Read this. ;)

Found under "trans fill" in SEARCH.

;)
http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=320&highlight=trans+fill

ronbuick
02-06-2009, 07:35 AM
Thanks George, It all looks to be not too bad, since I own a lube shop and use lifts I can not complain about that part, also I was wondering that in about 15k or so miles if you were to use a fluid evacuator could you not suck the fluid from the pan thru the fill hole, measure the amount removed and then refill thru the fill hole and then run it thru gears til temps comes up and the remove the drain plug while it is running to see if it runs or dribbles out, I just do not buy ever having to change the fluid for 200k miles, period, let me know if you beleive that would work, thanks.

Ron

GRRRR8
02-06-2009, 07:44 AM
It has 2 drain plugs. 1 for draining and one to see if its full.

g8_795
02-22-2009, 04:20 PM
The trans cooler instructions suggest to splice the unit into the return line.

Does anybody know which line this is? I can always test it after starting up the car, but I would like to get this done before hand.

Also, how are most people splicing this in? Are you cutting the metal line and just using the rubber hoses with hose clamps?

Thanks,
Robert

BSmith
02-22-2009, 04:34 PM
Would it be dangerous to do this yourself? I am worried about sensors for the most part in these high tech cars. If it is just a straight swap I don't think I would have any problem with it.

Aligning the trans can be fun by yourself on the floor. Also, if you have never put a torque converter in before, I'd find someone that has for those 30 seconds. It needs to be seated fully.

As far as high tech... All you need to do is unplug all the connectors, then it's low tech. ;)

stryker g8gt
02-22-2009, 06:06 PM
The trans cooler instructions suggest to splice the unit into the return line.

Does anybody know which line this is? I can always test it after starting up the car, but I would like to get this done before hand.

Also, how are most people splicing this in? Are you cutting the metal line and just using the rubber hoses with hose clamps?

Thanks,
Robert

Cutting the rubber hose and using 11/32 barbs and hose clamps.....you will need two 4' section of 11/32 tranny line. 2 barbs and a total of 6 clamps.

g8_795
02-22-2009, 07:51 PM
Cutting the rubber hose and using 11/32 barbs and hose clamps.....you will need two 4' section of 11/32 tranny line. 2 barbs and a total of 6 clamps.

Do you have a pic of this?

g8_795
02-23-2009, 05:02 PM
Anybody know which trans line is the return line? Someone has to know.
Thanks.

GeorgeInNePa
02-23-2009, 06:46 PM
Anybody know which trans line is the return line? Someone has to know.
Thanks.

the right one.

http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?p=42194#post42194

g8_795
02-23-2009, 06:54 PM
Thanks George. I need to work on my searching skills. I swear I searched this forum for over an hour trying to find the answer :wacko: I was even looking for specs on the trans with no luck.

GeorgeInNePa
02-23-2009, 06:56 PM
Not a problem, it just shows I spend too much time here.

;)

g8_795
02-23-2009, 06:56 PM
Damn. I even posted in that thread :boxing: