PDA

View Full Version : Serpetine belt shredded.... pulley loose--- cause or effect?

gr8lover
07-24-2012, 06:19 PM
So another issue so close to other issues.... Serpetine belt shredded all up and stranded me on expressway..... found pulley that is between the crank and alternator was completely loose and woobly due to bolt completely loose (the pulley that is flat and smooth)... so is it possible that the loose bolt didnt casue the shredding and is just an after effect of it... or most likely the cause for the belt coming off..... i am hearing the tensioner is the problem in most cases, but found it funny that this pulley was almost off and bolt could be loosed by my fingers.... so this cost me $60 for a tow.....
ps...i was also suprised to see no locktight at all on bolt.... but maybe thats normal....

also 2 weeks before, my fast 102 intake came apart and allowed the the injectors to come out a bit and squirt gas all over the engine.... another tow for $120 this time.... found that the bolts that hold the two pcs of the intake came loose .... looks as if when assembled they were not tightened down properly..... another mess up....

i should probably go thru and list all my issues like this... they are large... just frustrated that this crap should not have happened.... just due to lack of being careful and detailed.... is costing me a bunch..... I could go on and on... like trans controller not setup right with signal which I ended up spending many hours debugging , shipping controller back and forth... at a $ cost of course... and buying additional sensors to make work.... arggggg....... just lack of being careful...... argg........ custom 3" exhaust planned and found 3" cut down to 2.5" at muffler...., new trans leaking, new rear end leaking.....appears meth lines leaking....... who knows whats next???? wheels fall off?????

sorry for the rant..... i guess back to the main question..... if you have any thoughts, I would love to hear them.... also it has been suggested to use the katech tensioner that is fixed and not a automatic tensioner..... thoughts???

TailG8er
07-24-2012, 06:24 PM
Go through and check every nut and bolt...sounds like lady luck is not shining on you lately.

STL_G8GT
07-24-2012, 06:34 PM
I would say bolt worked loose and the lack of steady tension shredded the belt. Mechanics torque wrench could have been faulty... id doublecheck all accys bolts under the guess that the team probably hung them on the engine at the same time.

gr8lover
07-24-2012, 07:05 PM
I would say bolt worked loose and the lack of steady tension shredded the belt. Mechanics torque wrench could have been faulty... id doublecheck all accys bolts under the guess that the team probably hung them on the engine at the same time.

kind of what i waas thinking..... but i doubt they used a torque wrench.... think they just "winged it"..... i could almost guarantee it.... i bet it wasnt tightened at all..... only put about 600 miles on it since i got it back... and so many things just half assed..... oh well..... initial costs are one thing... but additional costs that are jsut plain mess ups burn me the worse... cause it doesnt have to happen.... if people were more careful.....

oh well.... you play, you play... i guess.... hopefully your car and trans is still holding out!!!!!

-Ray-
07-25-2012, 02:02 AM
The tensioner bolt needs to come off to tighten down one of the brackets. I say they forgot to tighten it back up.

locrzn#92
07-25-2012, 04:54 PM
Locktite

-Ray-
07-25-2012, 05:56 PM
18 Ft. Lbs.

todds87ss
07-26-2012, 05:38 AM
Not sure if the F1 pulley routing is the same as stock...