PDA

View Full Version : Carpet in Rear Trunk. I need to replace.

desertg8
07-14-2012, 09:47 AM
It is oil stained and just falling apart. I went to the dealership and it was 250 plus. Is there another alternative? I can probably get it at a salvage yard. Any vendors that sell a replacement carpet at alot less money?

-Ray-
07-14-2012, 09:55 AM
I'll be replacing mine at some time also. I marked mine up putting a DR in the trunk.

hartigan85
07-15-2012, 10:52 AM
Lloyd Mats makes a trunk mat custom fit for our trunk. Would cover the stains.

ICULUKN24
08-22-2012, 10:17 AM
I have the same issue! Oil allll over :(

find anything good?

It is oil stained and just falling apart. I went to the dealership and it was 250 plus. Is there another alternative? I can probably get it at a salvage yard. Any vendors that sell a replacement carpet at alot less money?

Seattle09GT
08-22-2012, 10:51 AM

When I did the subwoofer install in my trunk, I wanted to be able to mount it so it would not slide around, but I did not want to drill holes into the factory floor. So I built a false floor. For carpeting this is what I did.

I purchased black indoor/outdoor carpeting from Home Depot. It is infinitely better quality than the stock floor covering, very inexpensive, and easy to work with.

I purchased a carpet knife, also from Home Depot. It was under $10.

I purchased a can of 3M spray type automotive adhesive from a local body shop supplier, Westco, and that cost maybe $15.

I took out the stock carpet, still attached to the stock "board" that sits over the spare tire cover. I inverted it so the carpet side was down. Using the stock cover as my outline, I patiently cut around it, using it as a template on the indoor/outdoor carpet. This took maybe 15 minutes.

I then used the spray adhesive to bond the carpet to a board (in your case it would be the stock board) so I could mount to it.

I installed the whole thing in my trunk.

The pic shows the "false floor" and you'll probably look at it and go, huh? Exactly. It looks 100% stock, except again, the quality is way better.

Total cost was under $50, total time was about two hours, most of that waiting for the glue to dry. It isn't "ghetto" at all. Just need to be patient when you cut around the stock "template" and don't cheap out and use an exacto knife or razor blade. You do need to get a carpet knife. Makes a HUGE difference!

Good luck!

Crazy Paul
08-22-2012, 11:46 AM
Rear Compartment Floor Panel Carpet - Black
GM# 92171582
GM Full Retail Price = $252
You can find it online for $170 + shipping
[See if Greg can supply at his usual GRRRR8 pricing]

Greg@PacePerformance
08-22-2012, 01:40 PM
The problem (along with the price) is the size so shipping will be more expensive also.