PDA

View Full Version : Vector Motorsports (Re)Tune - Review

Steve
01-22-2009, 04:50 PM
Vector Motorsports Tune - Part II (http://g8gt.blogspot.com/2009/01/vector-motorsports-tune-part-ii.html)

When I first learned about 'tuning' I figured you had to have your car on a dyno. So when I first heard about Vector last year and their 'remote tuning' by sending you cables & software I was a little unsure if they could really do a good job. However, concerns about how well they could tune remotely simply vanished when real-life numbers started appearing comparing dyno-tuned cars by (most*) others with Vector's numbers. Having a Vector Tune on my car now since August, and now freshly returned I've come to really appreciate Vector Motorsports a LOT for what they offer.

*unless comparing to people who KNOW what they're doing like Mike@NewEra; He Kicks ass ;)

Yes "Technically" on the dyno you can tune much more precisely , but most places have no experience with G8s so they don't quite know what they're doing, Don't have experience with changing the Transmisison Settings on the 6L80 and basically tune for a high 'peak' horsepower number at WOT (Wide Open Throttle) with no regards to behavior during normal driving.

Vector on the other hand has tuned dozens of G8s already in all kinds of different configurations so they can provide base-maps for different Mod-Configurations (CAI, Exhaust etc) based on your specifications that will perform just great out of the box. Vector will even make themselves available if you want so you can be strapped on a dyno somewhere and they'll tune remotely while you're still strapped down so you can give real-time feedback. How's that for service?!

I initially got my tune a while ago (http://g8gt.blogspot.com/2008/08/vector-motorsports-tune.html) which was a basic tune for just my intake. If you're interested in the process & results read my old post (http://g8gt.blogspot.com/2008/08/vector-motorsports-tune.html) where I describe how their system works. This time it was time for a retune because of my new Torque Converter (http://g8gt.blogspot.com/2009/01/circle-d-torque-converter.html) and exhaust upgrade to American Racing Headers (http://g8gt.blogspot.com/2009/01/american-racing-headers.html). As I was close to GRRRR8.net member "BobTheMonkee" who was just getting his VMS cables around the time I was getting my headers installed he was kind enough to let me use them after him instead of me having to wait for them to be mailed out again.

Before the tune I noticed that the computer would be 'hunting' for the lockup point at times in the 'stock' converter with the rpms going up & down a range (usually around 1500). I mentioned this to Kirk@Vector and this was easily taken care off by simply giving him the specs on the new torque converter. I also told him I had the 1-7/8" American Racing headers so that the rear O2 sensors could be turned off (They will throw codes most likely otherwise because the High-Flow Cats take longer to heat up than the stock ones) and I wanted to change up the Torque Management a bit.

My old VMS Tune had 50% Torque Management in place so it's easier on the transmission etc when shifting. People have been playing with these numbers and reporting great results turning them way down (or completely off) so I decided to give this a try as well. I went with 40% in Drive (Normal driving a little better, but still very comfortable ) 20% in Sport (you really feel it shift and pushing you back in the seat) and 5% in Manual (Didn't want to go 0% but you definitely feel it!). I would probably go 10-0% all around if I get a retune though.

So how does the car run afterwards?

Well let's just say I accelerated so hard at one point that my radio front fascia actually came off....
You read that right! It...came... off... Now i do have to admit I accidentally broke ALL the clips that hold it in place so it just hangs by the connectors, but even so I find that pretty damn impressive! Taking off from a dead stop? Wheel spin guaranteed and Traction Control working overtime!

Also before when cruising at 60mph and standing on the gas the car would speed up, but it would be at a decent pace and at a certain point stop pulling. Now after the tune, before I know it I'm hitting 120+ in 4th gear and it's still pulling hard! Or how about the traction control coming on at 70mph when it shifts because it's sending that much power to the wheels? Good times! :D

Local shops around here keep bad-mouthing any 'canned-tune' or 'mailorder-tune' but Vector delivers! I'm just gonna have to really learn to take it easy and not accidentally end up side-ways/backwards (or worse; upside down) because this car now with a combination of this new Tune, Headers & Converter has GOBS of power, and it's ready to pounce!

R.Penguin
01-22-2009, 04:58 PM
WooHoo! :woohoo:

G8GT721
01-22-2009, 05:37 PM
I plan on mods in the upcoming months have mods installed and tuned by Slowhawk Performance, it will be a procharger or cam i cant decide, but anyways. Would it be possible for Kirk to do a TCM tune if he had a dyno chart?

ECM-local tuner and TCM-Vector?

Steve
01-22-2009, 08:37 PM
I don't see why not?

GRRRR8
01-22-2009, 08:48 PM
Glad to hear it SteveO!

IXLR8
01-23-2009, 04:59 PM
Drooling at the thought of it...

I better get my tune ordered, now!

G8GTlawride
01-23-2009, 07:08 PM
Excellent write up. I too, am very pleased with their tune. You have piqued my curiosity with the %'s in the various modes of the tranny. I just leave it in normal with the usual 50% TM reduction. I don't know what was set in the other modes but since I don't use them much, not much of a concern.

bobyoung
01-23-2009, 11:26 PM
Mine shifts much firmer and higher in sport mode, I like firm shifts, I get rubber in 2nd and definitely get pushed back in the seat when it shifts. I also leave it in normal when I can as it's much better on gas, but it is damn fun to either use sport mode as it's so much faster or Manual which is even more fun. I never asked what the numbers were, (I wouldn't have known anyway, I just learned what TM meant reading this thread) I just got the Cat ECM-TCM tune, but what a difference, made this car drive like I wanted it to. I can't decide on my next mod, wanted a Pro-Charger or maybe a Mag Charger but they're a little too steep for me at this point. What would be a good logical next step I could do, maybe for a couple grand?

CanadianEh
01-24-2009, 04:34 AM
What would be a good logical next step I could do, maybe for a couple grand?

Headers, torque converter or maybe a cam kit? They all make nice power for a decent dollar.

99-LS1-SS
01-24-2009, 05:02 AM
Very good write up Steve! You are slowly but surely creating a monster. You need to get that thing to the track.

BobtheMonkee
01-24-2009, 11:40 AM
Yeah, kirk's new Torque Management tweaks are awesome...i also got torque management removed in manual and the car is so much fun!

I have not yet headed to the dyno with my new tune, but it definitely feels faster.

MtbDoc
01-24-2009, 04:59 PM
Headers, torque converter or maybe a cam kit? They all make nice power for a decent dollar.

Problem is that you need the headers for the cam, but they only appear to add ~20rwhp. This is the sticking point as I consider options. The intake + tune is a given...but $1700+ to add 20 hp, THEN the cam can make its power.

Slightly off-topic, but it would be interesting to see a mild cam through the stock exhaust...sorry for thinking out loud! This stuff then makes me think "go ahead and get a blower or turbos". Enough to drive you nuts :zing:.

GeorgeInNePa
01-24-2009, 06:19 PM
Mine shifts much firmer and higher in sport mode, I like firm shifts, I get rubber in 2nd and definitely get pushed back in the seat when it shifts. I also leave it in normal when I can as it's much better on gas, but it is damn fun to either use sport mode as it's so much faster or Manual which is even more fun. I never asked what the numbers were, (I wouldn't have known anyway, I just learned what TM meant reading this thread) I just got the Cat ECM-TCM tune, but what a difference, made this car drive like I wanted it to. I can't decide on my next mod, wanted a Pro-Charger or maybe a Mag Charger but they're a little too steep for me at this point. What would be a good logical next step I could do, maybe for a couple grand?

Headers and torque converter plus install will run you $2500 to $3000. It's well worth it.

Mike P
01-24-2009, 07:25 PM
Headers and torque converter plus install will run you $2500 to $3000. It's well worth it.

Yep. The car is crazy fun to drive now! :)

norm8332
01-24-2009, 09:06 PM
Steve, thanks for such a fine review. That is some very useful stuff. Spring will get here eventually and I'm ready to mod.

bobyoung
01-24-2009, 11:39 PM
Yep. The car is crazy fun to drive now! :)

Sorry for hijacking this thread but I might go that route. We'll see what happens when I get my tax returns. I assume I'd have to have Kirk retune the car for this? I'm leaning toward the ARH headers, do they have that nice low V8 rumble at idle (and at speed) or would I have to get new mufflers also? Would it still pass emissions?

09PBMGT
01-25-2009, 11:40 PM
+1 for the newly updated TCM tune.... and ECM for the headers, for that matter. This car really throws you back in the seat on those early shifts!!! Well done Kirk!

GEE8GEETEE
01-26-2009, 11:21 AM
So you have to personally ask what to set the TM too when you order your tune ? What other personal options on the tune are available ?

IXLR8
02-05-2009, 04:29 PM
Kirk, make them stop hogging the tuner so I can get mine done...

:)

mcduff
03-10-2009, 08:40 AM
I have been reading these threads with the tuning and learned a lot about TCM. Victor even answered an email. My question to all of you experienced G8 mod experts is who had the earliest tune done? I am interested in long term negative affects on the tranny. I am already disliking the torque management and at times it trying to figure out where it should be when my foot is on the floor. The car runs like a raped ape when it is in the right gear and screaming at me, it is just getting it there. Victor said that their standard TCM tune is 50% for normal. My other question is if your manual shift is 5% or 0% does it shift when you tell it? It is so discouraging right now that it won't shift when I tell it in Manual. I doubt that it is a computer update issue as much as the TCM. Has anyone had experience with their Stealth Tune? It seems like the best of all worlds for only $20 if I read it right on their website.

-Ray-
03-10-2009, 08:58 AM
My G8 was one of the 1st 10 to be tuned. My G8 has the stealth tune from Vector. It's at the dealership now for a misfire on #8. The tech came out and asked me if I had a chip. LOL
I said no, it has the stock E38 ecm. :)
My G8 has 17k miles on her, and I have not experienced any transmission problems.
The $20 is above the standard price.

EcoBrick Bob
03-10-2009, 11:17 AM
My G8 has the stealth tune from Vector. It's at the dealership now for a misfire on #8.

What do you think is causing the misfire? wire,coil, valve train or worse???

-Ray-
03-10-2009, 12:52 PM
The car sat for 4 months. The tech said that it could be from the lifter bleeding down. As soon as I have the report, I'll post it.
I didn't hear anything from them today.

99-LS1-SS
03-10-2009, 12:54 PM
They're in your G8 intarwebz hacking ur E38!!!

-Ray-
03-10-2009, 12:58 PM
They're in your G8 intarwebz hacking ur E38!!!

Prolly wondering why the CVN's match, but can't view some information.

d_toll
03-14-2009, 02:46 PM
Any word on why #8's missing?

-Ray-
03-14-2009, 03:17 PM
Not yet.

r1owner
03-18-2009, 07:17 AM
Did it throw a CEL?

gobluedave
03-18-2009, 03:05 PM
My G8 was one of the 1st 10 to be tuned. My G8 has the stealth tune from Vector. It's at the dealership now for a misfire on #8. The tech came out and asked me if I had a chip. LOL
I said no, it has the stock E38 ecm. :)
My G8 has 17k miles on her, and I have not experienced any transmission problems.
The $20 is above the standard price.

noob question but what made him ask that question? he thinks you do but can't prove it?

-Ray-
03-18-2009, 03:16 PM
Sorry guy's. Service writer didn't know what he was talking about. I have my G8 back, and no codes. Stealth tune intact!

fiveoh
03-18-2009, 03:56 PM
So there was really no misfire?

-Ray-
03-18-2009, 04:03 PM
DTC said there was, or I wouldn't have posted it.
I have a dashhawk.