PDA

View Full Version : Borla Cat Back

kirkatwork
01-21-2009, 06:26 AM
I saw on the other site that Haddad motorsports is doing a group buy. If he can get 5 orders it'll be $1130 w/free shipping. I'm thinking that, yeah, it's a lot of money but you want what you want and sometimes you have to pay for it. How many people paid MSRP or higher to get their G8's because they wanted them ASAP (and who can blame them). I've talked to Borla a couple of times and they have had some issues with development and getting a new facility up to production speed, but they do have a part number and a price ($1265.00) and though it's not on their website they are claiming they will be in production soon. Just an FYI.

GEE8GEETEE
01-21-2009, 06:30 AM
I'm sure you'll soon be able to find that same exhaust for about $800 if you can be a little more patient. Trust me, I want that exhaust as bad as you do. But I can wait a couple months to save $400 (That's a CAI and some extra cash in your pocket)

Blackdevil77
01-21-2009, 07:16 AM
Any plan's for a Borla axle-back?

evilb
01-21-2009, 08:52 AM
$1130 is pretty much 10% off MSRP with shipping included. That's a decent deal, but not outstanding. Depending on who he buys Borla from, and how much volume he does, there is usually a 30-35% markup on their products from WD to MSRP.

I agree that it should be in the sub $1000 range from major distributors post-release.

Does anybody have pictures of the system, though? I've used Borla in the past and was very pleased with the sound and volume, not to mention the quality of the system.

Personally, I like this system: http://xforce.com.au/cars/view_car/38

It's customizable in regards to tip size, available in different sound volume levels, material type, etc. and has remote valve control like on my Audi RS4 which allows you to open/close a certain path in the muffler to restrict the volume of the exhaust.

JHP sells them but I would assume you can buy from any Australian distributor and just pay air freight.

Brad

silver6.0L
01-21-2009, 12:36 PM
Summit and Jegs list the price for the Borla system as $1,129.99 and shipping is under $20 dollars it seams to most places. No need to wait for five orders to come in. They do list that it takes 18-25 days for the order.

Ktlplxm
01-21-2009, 01:25 PM
The borla isn't gonna drop 33%. They have no need to. People who want that quality exhaust don't mind paying for it. Not to mention neither Borla nor Corsa have been known for lowering their prices. At $1200, $400 of it isn't profit so they can't reduce it that much. That is below even dealer cost. Perfect example, a Borla system for an Fbody was originally $600+, now its around $800 and they havent made the vehicles in 7 years. Still no price reduction

zosoboogie
01-21-2009, 04:49 PM
they wouldn't even sell the tip on that exhaust

MojaveG8
01-21-2009, 06:33 PM
Summit and Jegs list the price for the Borla system as $1,129.99 and shipping is under $20 dollars it seams to most places. No need to wait for five orders to come in. They do list that it takes 18-25 days for the order.

Crutchfield has the same price and free shipping.

silver6.0L
01-22-2009, 05:06 AM
Crutchfield has the same price and free shipping.

Never tought to look there.:mellow:

GEE8GEETEE
01-22-2009, 05:24 AM
There will be at some point a distributor who will make a bulk purchase of these systems and sell them at a better discount. Probably closer to $1000.

MojaveG8
01-22-2009, 05:55 AM
There will be at some point a distributor who will make a bulk purchase of these systems and sell them at a better discount. Probably closer to $1000.

That would be nice ,but still not sure that would make me pick it.

TheTugBoat
01-22-2009, 06:03 AM
i've tried everything to get one of those varex muffler barrels before i met Paul. Once meeting paul he talked me out of it after showing me some not so happy customer reviews on it from Aus. if you want sound level control, just get cutouts.

The Commodore
01-29-2009, 01:38 PM
http://http://borla.com/products/product_detail.aspx?prod_sku=140287

Chewy
01-29-2009, 01:51 PM
I'm thinking I'd make sure they're worth the money before buying them.

A lot of people bought the MF system early and then bitched that it was to loud. Now I realize Borla is a great exhaust but I'd sit back and relax and see what people think first.

Just my .02¢

The Commodore
01-29-2009, 01:55 PM

A lot of people bought the MF system early and then bitched that it was to loud. Now I realize Borla is a great exhaust but I'd sit back and relax and see what people think first.

Just my .02¢

I don't even think I'm going to do cat-back or axle-back for a while...just throw some corsa mufflers and maybe an X pipe. And then later get some headers.

G8GT721
01-29-2009, 02:04 PM
i bought the Mangaflows pretty early on, and the "drone" is not that bad IMO , i actually wish they were a little louder. Sound interpretation is different for each person, so what sounds good to me may sound like shit to the next guy. They best way is to go for a ride with someone if your picky

Ktlplxm
01-29-2009, 02:34 PM

Just my .02¢

I forget which movie it was off of but it went something like this "...sometimes you just gotta stick it out there, and not be afraid to get it cut off...", in other words, just try something. If we never do anything original, all we are doing is copying someone else.

G8GT721
01-29-2009, 03:28 PM
I forget which movie it was off of but it went something like this "...sometimes you just gotta stick it out there, and not be afraid to get it cut off...", in other words, just try something. If we never do anything original, all we are doing is copying someone else.

Navy Seals (1990) gotta love google and imdb

cobrakid
01-29-2009, 04:01 PM
All the headers, and cat backs, and axle backs are so dam overpriced it is rediculous.

A good set of long tubes should be about $450, a good cat back about $500 and axle backs $300.

That is just my opinion, but dam....nothing to an axleback and "they" want $400-$650 for them.

GRRRR8
01-29-2009, 04:08 PM
I would but it if headers were not an option due to emissions laws, but since its not I think its a better bang for the buck to get LTs and wait for axle backs to become available. Headers 25hp/catback maybe 10. Price difference $400ish.

WarpWhiteGT
01-29-2009, 05:06 PM
I ordered 140287 G8 Borla Exhaust from Summit Racing. It has been on back order since Dec 15. 1st they said Jan 4 ship date, then Jan15, and now Feb 14. The wait is killing me. Borla now show pics of the exhaust, it does not have the S mufflers like the first pics of Haddad. It look like the quieter mufflers. I hope they are loud enough.

KaiserM715
01-30-2009, 08:20 AM
I would but it if headers were not an option due to emissions laws, but since its not I think its a better bang for the buck to get LTs and wait for axle backs to become available. Headers 25hp/catback maybe 10. Price difference $400ish.

That is what sold me on going to LTs. The Corsa kit was going for about $1700, and that is the same price for LTs and X-pipe. Plus, more hp per $ spent...

MojaveG8
01-30-2009, 08:46 AM
That is what sold me on going to LTs. The Corsa kit was going for about $1700, and that is the same price for LTs and X-pipe. Plus, more hp per $ spent...

Me too

bubblyjock
01-30-2009, 08:55 PM
Its $974.74 at LMPerformance.com! (Free Shipping)

Ktlplxm
01-31-2009, 08:18 AM
All the headers, and cat backs, and axle backs are so dam overpriced it is rediculous.

A good set of long tubes should be about $450, a good cat back about $500 and axle backs $300.

That is just my opinion, but dam....nothing to an axleback and "they" want $400-$650 for them.

I have to disagree. There aren't any good LTH for that cheap. I do not know of a single new model vehicle who does have headers that inexpensive except for the Pacesetter's that were so popular with the cheapskates a few years ago, and they were junk. It isn't like 15 years ago before the price of steel itself jumped through the roof; the companies have to make a profit otherwise they go under. Then those who don't mind paying for quality can't find it because all thats available is cheap chinese crap.

evilb
01-31-2009, 03:53 PM
I have to disagree. There aren't any good LTH for that cheap. I do not know of a single new model vehicle who does have headers that inexpensive except for the Pacesetter's that were so popular with the cheapskates a few years ago, and they were junk. It isn't like 15 years ago before the price of steel itself jumped through the roof; the companies have to make a profit otherwise they go under. Then those who don't mind paying for quality can't find it because all thats available is cheap chinese crap.

I agree with your disagreement :)

You guys go look at the European aftermarket. An ECU/TCU tune on an AMG Mercedes is $6000+, a cat-back exhaust for an RS4 starts at $1600 to $3000 for a valved system... hell, a cold-air intake for my car from GruppeM is over $1000.

The prices you're all paying for mods is so incredibly cheap compared to the rest of the car market..... part of the reason I'm switching back over---so I can have fun modding. There's no fun in paying $1600 for a freaking steering wheel, or $20,000 for a positive displacement supercharger (uninstalled, mind you).

Don't take that the wrong way... but man... you guys need to open your eyes at the rest of the world. The domestic car aftermarket is soooooooo much cheaper... and the parts are of equal quality/workmanship if you get the good stuff (eg: Kooks headers vs. Kleemann/Renntech headers, etc.)

Cheers!
Brad

DHmotorsports08
02-02-2009, 12:40 AM
Ordered my System from Lmperformance on friday night. Great deal.....I cant wait.

'02somz28
03-25-2009, 05:30 PM
I do not know of a single new model vehicle who does have headers that inexpensive except for the Pacesetter's that were so popular with the cheapskates a few years ago, and they were junk.

Dude....lol ...WTF. There's TONS of people running Pacesetters on FBodies and GTOs and they've help up and performed just as well as the top dollar Kooks, Stainless Works, AR Headers.

Maybe a little more research is needed before you bash one, and swing from the nuts of another.

Ktlplxm
03-26-2009, 05:09 AM
Dude....lol ...WTF. There's TONS of people running Pacesetters on FBodies and GTOs and they've help up and performed just as well as the top dollar Kooks, Stainless Works, AR Headers.

Maybe a little more research is needed before you bash one, and swing from the nuts of another.

I can make that claim because being a dealer I had to deal with the problems associated with the return of their products. I've had easily three times the amount of returns on Pacesetters than I have any other header system. they only recieved praise because they were cheap and people could say "oh well I expected that to happen, look how inexpensive they are".

I've worked in the aftermarket automotive market for the last 13 years and have more experience behind me statement than 90% of the people on these boards. Maybe a little more research is needed on your part before you make a snap decision about the validity of another's statement.

If you want to disagree with something I say on a personal note, do it through a PM so we don't waste other people's time looking for information on a particular thread.

99-LS1-SS
03-26-2009, 05:41 AM

"Dude", I was one of those "tons of people" that purchased Pacesetter headers when I had my Camaro and I will NEVER buy Pacesetters again. They didn't fit very good at all, the collector hit the floorboard. The primaries, on one side hit the K-member and set off the knock sensor. The Y-pipe had to be cut apart and, basically, rebuilt to fit the exhaust. On top of all of that, they collector to y-pipe fitting leaked.

'02 ws6
03-26-2009, 07:08 AM
I have Pacesetters on my TA and haven't had any issues what so ever. From what I understand, Pacesetters had problems in the early design stages with flange/collector leaks. All problems, from what I've seen on tech and other boards, have since been remedied, and are a great buy for the money.
BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104

99-LS1-SS
03-26-2009, 07:12 AM
I have Pacesetters on my TA and haven't had any issues what so ever. From what I understand, Pacesetters had problems in the early design stages with flange/collector leaks. All problems, from what I've seen on tech and other boards, have since been remedied, and are a great buy for the money.
BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104

They were definitely cheaper and that is why I got them. I hope they have fixed their issues. I got mine around 2003. That gives them a long time to make changes and updates. I just had so much trouble with mine that it left a bad taste in my mouth.

mtolivecracker
03-26-2009, 09:21 AM
is anyone else really enjoying the argument on this thread. Im lovin it. I have never heard of the pacesetters brand, and don't really care too much about it, but i love the points you guys are making. Great arguments, please proceed.

Ktlplxm
03-26-2009, 01:23 PM
is anyone else really enjoying the argument on this thread. Im lovin it. I have never heard of the pacesetters brand, and don't really care too much about it, but i love the points you guys are making. Great arguments, please proceed.

haha I thought this thread was dead until I heard I was being personally called out on it. People can buy whatever they want, to each their own. But the fact remains 99% of the time in order to produce a less expensive product something somewhere has to be sacrificed; quality of workmanship, quality of materiel, or percentage of profit. I would say if they can make it easier they could sell it for less, but I doubt they have come up with a quicker more efficient bending/welding machine. The more expensive brands that have been around a while have survived this long by making superior products and consumers recognizing the quality of the product enough to purchase them at their higher prices. Example in point, how many people have honestly had a craftsmanship or quality control issue with Borla, Corsa, Bassani, or ARH products when used properly? I'll bet it is a miniscule percentage when compared to some of the less expensive companies.