PDA

View Full Version : Pontiac to Holden Gauge Overlay Group Buy

matts88yj
06-10-2012, 03:57 PM
Cutoff time is approaching fast! The cutoff will be tonight at 11:59pm as outlined in the main thread. So far the list is as follows. I double checked all PM's and posts for those interested. If I missed anyone PLEASE PM me right away!

1. matts88yj -------------------------------- PAID
2. Seattle09GT -------- (Info Received) ----- PAID
3. Bill Brollier ---------- (Info Received) ----- PAID
4. libertysyclone ------ (Info Received) ----- PAID
5. Kensai478 ---------- (Info Received) ----- PAID
6. Tulsa GT ------------ (Info Received) ----- PAID
7. deputycrawford ---- (Info Received) ----- PAID
8. GTIngold ----------- (Info Received) ----- PAID
9. G8 Ray ------------- (Info Received) ----- PAID
10. ghodge ------------ (Info Received) ----- PAID
11. G8 Holland -------- (Info Received) ----- PAID
12. STL_G8GT --------- (Info Received) ----- PAID
13. hulkss -------------- (Info Received) ----- PAID
14. iisme13 ------------ (Info Received) ----- PAID
15. JR09country ------ (Info Received) ----- PAID
16. EcoBrick Bob (X2) -- (Info Received) ---- PAID
17. jcmGT ------------ (Info Received) ----- PAID

My factory overlay will be shipped out to them this week. I'll also PM each of you individually outlining how they would like to receive payment if I haven't PM'ed you about it already.

Thank you everyone for going in on this!

Hope everyone is having a great weekend! :)

MIEngineer
06-10-2012, 04:03 PM
Pics?

matts88yj
06-10-2012, 04:06 PM
Pics?

http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=22431&page=7&p=456825&viewfull=1#post456825

iisme13
06-10-2012, 04:29 PM
Pm sent. I didn't see any pics. And is there a recent thread?

matts88yj
06-10-2012, 04:32 PM
Pm sent. I didn't see any pics. And is there a recent thread?

PM Replied. The link above your post should take you to my post in the thread that has an image attached of what the overlay will look like with the colors and redline indication. All other markings such as the speedo numbers will be in the factory OEM location that are currently in our cars.

Seattle09GT
06-10-2012, 09:44 PM
Whoa, one second, quick question. Totally get the speedo needs to be calibrated to US standards. When we get to 100 MPH/Kph (as we have a dual system) will it go 100 - 120 - 140 - 160 - 180 as it does now and in a smaller font more inside 110 - 130 - 150 - 170 -190 as they do in Aussieland (where it is KPh only I think they go to 260???)

Just asking - thanks for driving this home - very exciting.

matts88yj
06-11-2012, 03:59 AM
Whoa, one second, quick question. Totally get the speedo needs to be calibrated to US standards. When we get to 100 MPH/Kph (as we have a dual system) will it go 100 - 120 - 140 - 160 - 180 as it does now and in a smaller font more inside 110 - 130 - 150 - 170 -190 as they do in Aussieland (where it is KPh only I think they go to 260???)

Just asking - thanks for driving this home - very exciting.

Everything on the overlay marking wise and numerical layout wise will be identical to the factory OEM overlay in our cars. The photo was just used to show the color of the tach and speedo areas as well as the redline indicator. Hope that clears things up.

deputycrawford
06-11-2012, 04:55 AM
Sorry guys. I don't have internet at home and was on vacation. I'll PM you and see if I can still get in on the deal.

Jerry

zepcom
06-11-2012, 05:19 AM
Very nice work, Matt. I will be following this group buy progress closely.

Assuming that you might have a "needle trick" for the overlays to share with the group, or other options?

--zepcom

matts88yj
06-11-2012, 07:46 AM
Sorry guys. I don't have internet at home and was on vacation. I'll PM you and see if I can still get in on the deal.

Jerry

No problem Jerry. You were on the list already since you had expressed interest before the cutoff.

I'm awaiting a reply from Zinn to confirm that he does in fact want an overlay. Once I hear back from him, I'll have the final head count so I can update the pricing and how it will be handled.

Thank you everyone!

matts88yj
06-11-2012, 07:49 AM
Very nice work, Matt. I will be following this group buy progress closely.

Assuming that you might have a "needle trick" for the overlays to share with the group, or other options?

--zepcom

There are a few options but I'll post that in the other thread so all the tech is in the same place :)

-Ray-
06-16-2012, 02:48 AM
Bump

Seattle09GT
06-16-2012, 06:50 AM
What he said.

EcoBrick Bob
06-16-2012, 03:06 PM
If someone drops out, I would be interested in the overlay.

Rob Moser - Clear Lake, IA.

matts88yj
06-17-2012, 09:30 AM
Bump

What he said.

I still have not heard from Zinn on here for a confirmation on if he would like an overlay or not. I was giving him the benefit of the doubt since it doesn't look like he logs on frequently to check this forum. If I don't receive word from him soon, he will be off the list so we are not holding everyone up. I'm trying to be reasonable with the time frame for everyone to reply and know that people have lives and do get busy at times.

I'm also awaiting to receive a reply from Lockwood about setting up payment and such. I sent an email back two weeks ago and a follow up this past week. He was averaging about a 3-4 day reply time in my prior communications with him. I hope to receive a reply early this week. I do apologize about the delay and hope we can get everything setup this week.

If someone drops out, I would be interested in the overlay.

Rob Moser - Clear Lake, IA.

Since I have been waiting on Zinn I'll mark you down for two of them. I know this is past the cutoff date but I don't know when something like this would be happening again. Plus the price keeps dropping with the more we have interested. Win, win for us all.

EcoBrick Bob
06-17-2012, 10:10 AM
Thanks! Glad to be able to get 2.

For those who wonder how to install, I had to get into my GTO dash a few years ago to DIM the Fog & Bright light symbols, & it was a piece of cake! Took a bit of time but was easy if you're patient.

Seattle09GT
06-17-2012, 11:27 AM
I haven't taken the cluster out but I bought a sacrificial cluster to work on before taking mine apart. Assembly and reassembly is drop dead simple. The biggest issue is getting the needles back on in the right position (taking them off and putting them on was easy). I have no fear on doing the install. GM instrument clusters on their modern products are in general easy to access.

matts88yj
06-18-2012, 07:15 AM
Okay gang I'm going to need some information for everyone that is signed up for an overlay. You can either post the information up in this thread or PM it to me. I'm going to PM everyone this evening once I'm away from work.

The information I'm going to need is your name, full address and the email address that you use for PayPal. This is going to help me (so I know where to ship the overlay to) and also so the company can track the incoming payments and match them up with those in this group buy. I know one member does not have a PayPal account and that's okay since I'm going to PM him with further details.

Thank you very much for your cooperation! I'll have some more updates as well to post up shortly after I receive back another email.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Seattle09GT
06-18-2012, 12:04 PM
Done

STL_G8GT
06-18-2012, 12:31 PM
Done as well

-Ray-
06-18-2012, 12:43 PM
Done

JR09country
06-18-2012, 12:56 PM
Pm sent

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

Bill Brollier
06-18-2012, 02:09 PM
Done

G8Holland
06-18-2012, 02:27 PM
Done

EcoBrick Bob
06-18-2012, 03:17 PM
Did IT...

libertysyclone
06-18-2012, 03:49 PM
Did it

Sent from Tapatalk on my EVO 4G LTE

Seattle09GT
06-18-2012, 04:11 PM
May I just say I am so freakin' excited about this. Only have worked, or helped work on, or stood on the sidelines with someone else working on it for two years. To actually being able to hand my cash over to someone and say, "yes by golly, sell me a new overlay damn it," and actually having a vendor do it is pure awesomeness.

The cast of characters that has worked on this runs for two years and literally spans three continents.

matts88yj
06-18-2012, 04:29 PM
Thank you everyone for being on top of things and getting your info to me! I have marked it down and replied to all of your PM's. Still waiting on a few members but I'm going to give them a few days to reply.

Seattle I'm very excited as well! I can't wait for these to be in your hands and for everyone to have them installed!

Thank you again everyone for your prompt replies! It is greatly appreciated!

Kensai478
06-18-2012, 04:43 PM
Done, PM sent

horacesabins
06-18-2012, 06:10 PM
Im new here and just by chance would you have a pic of the overlays your talking about??

matts88yj
06-19-2012, 04:01 AM
Im new here and just by chance would you have a pic of the overlays your talking about??

http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=22431&page=7&p=456825&viewfull=1#post456825

matts88yj
06-20-2012, 04:59 PM
PM's have been sent out to the members that have yet to provide me with their information.

Zinn also received another PM asking for confirmation and information. If I do not hear back from him before the other members reply to me, he will be off of the list. I hate to do it but I want to and have to keep this moving forward. I appreciate everyone's patience with this.

matts88yj
06-22-2012, 03:42 AM
Thank you everyone for quickly getting back to me with your information! I appreciate everyone's prompt replies.

libertysyclone
06-22-2012, 02:17 PM
http://i.imgur.com/UU2dM.gif

Seattle09GT
06-22-2012, 03:23 PM
What he said!!!

matts88yj
06-23-2012, 05:02 AM
LMAO!! Just saw the gif and nearly shot orange juice out my nose. Now my eyeballs hurt. Haha!

I'm waiting to hear back from the manufacture on a confirmation. He was out all of last week and is getting all caught up with things over there. He sent me a quick message saying he would get to it early this coming week. All I need is the confirmation from him and we are ready to order! :)

I haven't heard from Zinn at all. Not sure what is going on there but he is coming off the list. I posted here, sent him a few PM's and have not received a reply. I would like to think I've been more than generous with the timeline I have been giving him but this needs to keep moving forward. Zinn, if you have any issues please PM me right away.

EcoBrick Bob
06-23-2012, 07:31 AM
Maybe he's on a ZINNfandel month long bender!!! LOL

matts88yj
06-26-2012, 04:32 PM
Okay gang here is the update! macvangelist wanted on the list for this round but due to him not replying to my PM with the required information and him also having been online since that PM, he has been taken off the list. macvangelist if there is an issue please PM me.

I received word on the final pricing for the overlays. Since the company is in the UK we must send the PayPal payment in GBP (British Pounds). This is really easy to do in PayPal since you just select from the drop down list of currencies. I'm awaiting word on the PayPal address they would like for use to use. Once I receive that I'll post up an outline and PM everyone the steps needed to complete this order. They want to accept the funds in advance of them making the overlays so they don't make 18 overlays and only receive 5 payments. Then they are out money and I'm sure will not want to do business with us.

The amount to send over will be 34 GBP's which equates to roughly $54.53 USD as of today.

I footed the bill to get the factory overlay to them which was around $50 and I'll be footing the bill for the return trip as well. Once I have that total I'll let you know. I'm in no way asking for reimbursement on that part of the trip. What I wouldn't mind is $5 or whatever you want to cover the shipping from my location to you. I will only accept that once I receive the overlays in my hands and I'm happy with what I see. If you don't want to pay any shipping to me that's perfectly okay. Donations won't be turned down tho :)

My overlay is still on it's way to them. Should be getting close now!

I wanted to thank all of you that replied to me in a prompt manner with their information. Your cooperation is greatly appreciated!

We are getting very close my friends! Hope everyone has a great evening! If you're in the path of the tropical storm stay safe!

matts88yj
06-27-2012, 03:31 AM
ALL SYSTEMS A GO!

Okay everyone this is the breakdown of what you need to do in order to place your order. If you could get this done within a weeks time that would be awesome! The sooner the better!

1. Log into your PayPal account and click on the 'Send Money' tab.

2. Send the money to sales@superdials.com, amount of 34 GPB's (British Pounds) *** If you're ordering more than one overlay the 34 GPB's is priced per each overlay ***. PayPal will automatically do the conversion for you for what it is in US funds. Then click 'Next'

3. You will then be able to review your order. In the Subject line please put 'GRRRR8.net Group Buy' and in the comments section please put your first and last name just in case PayPal only gives them your first name since some of the members here have the same first name.

4. Click on the 'Send Money' button.

5. You're done!

When you do complete this please post up here or PM me so I know who sent the funds over for their overlay.

Thank you very much for your cooperation! :thumbsup:

-Ray-
06-27-2012, 03:40 AM
Done.

matts88yj
06-27-2012, 03:42 AM
Done.

Thank you Ray! Man that was fast! Just as I got done telling them that some of the orders may be coming in today! :D

Hope all is going well with your engine swap! Can't wait to see the outcome!

Bill Brollier
06-27-2012, 04:35 AM
You have PM :)

EcoBrick Bob
06-27-2012, 07:16 AM
Done.

I did them separately in 2 transactions of 34 lbs each, rather than a total of 68 lbs. Also noted this on payments to them.

ghodge
06-27-2012, 07:18 AM
Also done. Thanks again for putting this together.

George

G8Holland
06-27-2012, 07:22 AM
Done.

STL_G8GT
06-27-2012, 08:03 AM
ALL SYSTEMS A GO!

Okay everyone this is the breakdown of what you need to do in order to place your order. If you could get this done within a weeks time that would be awesome! The sooner the better!

1. Log into your PayPal account and click on the 'Send Money' tab.

2. Send the money to sales@superdials.com, amount of 34 GPB's (British Pounds) *** If you're ordering more than one overlay the 34 GPB's is priced per each overlay ***. PayPal will automatically do the conversion for you for what it is in US funds. Then click 'Next'

3. You will then be able to review your order. In the Subject line please put 'GRRRR8.net Group Buy' and in the comments section please put your first and last name just in case PayPal only gives them your first name since some of the members here have the same first name.

4. Click on the 'Send Money' button.

5. You're done!

When you do complete this please post up here or PM me so I know who sent the funds over for their overlay.

Thank you very much for your cooperation! :thumbsup:

If we want to donate to you for your time/trouble, what addy do we send that to?

ghodge
06-27-2012, 08:14 AM
^ Yeah. What he said.

matts88yj
06-27-2012, 08:18 AM
You have PM :)

PM Replied! Thank you!

Done.

I did them separately in 2 transactions of 34 lbs each, rather than a total of 68 lbs. Also noted this on payments to them.

Not a problem. They have everything on their end and are marking it down as they receive them. After each day they are going to update me to confirm the payment was received on their end :)

Also done. Thanks again for putting this together.

George

Thank you and you're welcome! I'm really excited about this!

Done.

Thank you!

If we want to donate to you for your time/trouble, what addy do we send that to?

^ Yeah. What he said.

matts88yj@gmail.com is my PayPal addy if you so choose to donate anything. Thank you very much in advance! I just wanted to bring this to life!

jcmGT
06-27-2012, 08:27 AM
Mission accomplished.

libertysyclone
06-27-2012, 09:06 AM
Done!

matts88yj
06-27-2012, 10:00 AM
Mission accomplished.

Done!

Thank you both very much!

matts88yj
06-27-2012, 03:10 PM
Just sent a PM out to everyone that hasn't paid yet just in case they check their emails rather than the forum itself.

STL_G8GT, did you send over a payment to the company? Just wanted to clarify and mark you down as paid if you did.

Thank you everyone for moving this along!

Kensai478
06-27-2012, 04:54 PM
Paid!

JR09country
06-27-2012, 06:17 PM
All paid up!!

matts88yj
06-28-2012, 03:29 AM
Paid!

All paid up!!

Thank you both very much! I'll get the list updated.

Of course after I have started getting the arrangements made for payment I now have people that want in on this group buy. Simply put it will not happen. That would impact pricing and I needed to make the cutoff somewhere. With some members saying they wanted this and then not replying, I was not about to hold up the other members who are on top of this and are being so very awesome during this group buy. I would like to believe I've been more than generous with the time frame I have given everyone.

Thank you everyone for your cooperation!

libertysyclone
06-28-2012, 05:31 AM
Matt, how much would pricing be affected by more orders?

I am not opposed to adding more people as I dont think it will affect pricing enough to matter much. But I also think they should have to be paid by the last payment of us who have been on the list since day one.

Just my 2 cents

Sent from Tapatalk on my EVO 4G LTE

STL_G8GT
06-28-2012, 06:28 AM
Payments Sent!!!

matts88yj
06-28-2012, 06:32 AM
Pricing from what I received would be a difference of 27 GPB's rather than 34 GPB's. That would make it $42 USD instead of $53 USD. It's not fair to the members that have already paid for an $11 price difference. At least in my eyes it is not fair to have some paying the original price and then others a newer price.

The only way I will consider accepting anyone is if they follow the outline above and pay the rate that was originally agreed upon. I don't want to keep adding people to this every week when I needed to have a head count before any payments were sent over and especially before they start making them.

matts88yj
06-28-2012, 06:34 AM
Payments Sent!!!

Thank you very much!! :cheers:

-Ray-
06-28-2012, 07:34 AM
Matt,
You did a great job. The group buy has been up for quite a while. If people can't make up their mind until its over, then maybe they should put their effort into making it happen for the next group.
You are running this, but as far as I'm concerned this one should be closed.

matts88yj
06-28-2012, 08:11 AM
Matt,
You did a great job. The group buy has been up for quite a while. If people can't make up their mind until its over, then maybe they should put their effort into making it happen for the next group.
You are running this, but as far as I'm concerned this one should be closed.

Thank you Ray! Believe it or not this is my first group buy I setup of any kind. I agree with you and think they should gather interest and then get a second group buy together.

This group buy is closed. Those on the list are the ones that will be participating in this group buy. If you are interested in an overlay for a second group buy PM me and we can discuss it there.

Seattle09GT
06-28-2012, 12:23 PM
Done. Matt thank you for everything - amazing work and an amazing price.

matts88yj
06-29-2012, 03:26 AM
Payments Sent!!!

Thank you very much! That is greatly appreciated!

Done. Matt thank you for everything - amazing work and an amazing price.

Thank you and you're very welcome! I tried to make this as streamlined as possible and as simple as possible. Seems like I did a decent job in that area! :)

My factory overlay is out for delivery today in the UK! Since over half of us have already paid, they are going to go ahead and make the full run of them for us. They said they were very surprised how fast the payments were coming in. I told them we are a little anxious waiting for these since they are a long time coming. Haha!

Thank you to everyone who has already paid. Hopefully the remaining members can have their payments sent over the weekend.

EcoBrick Bob
06-29-2012, 07:58 AM
Personally, was very happy with price. I think you should allow more and YOU make the extra money for the savings, as YOU did all this work! Very FAIR!

matts88yj
06-29-2012, 02:59 PM
Updated the list in the first post. Only 3 more members to send over the payment! Hopefully they can get it done over the weekend.

Thank you all so very much for being prompt and getting the payments over quickly. It makes the group look great in committing to a product and wanting to get it done. This is huge for future endeavors with this company.

Hope everyone is staying cool! It's a hot one out here in the Mid Atlantic to New England states!

matts88yj
07-02-2012, 04:02 AM
Still waiting for payments from the last 3 members. PM's have been sent. I know some may have traveled to a vacation spot this past weekend so hopefully they can at least check the PM's once if they are away :D

Also they have received my overlay in the UK on Friday. The design team is now working on it and will be making sure everything is lined up perfectly for our overlays. Can't wait! :)

zepcom
07-02-2012, 04:45 AM
For the man I met in person who was the first (that I am aware of!) to actually install a replacement overlay on his g8 cluster, this is very impressive.

To say that he was motivated to find something even better than what he and I initially installed on his cluster back in March, shows me that Matt is very organized, focused, and can get the job done. Great job, Matt!

Kudos to all who participated, this is great!

--zepcom

zepcom
07-02-2012, 05:27 AM
And sorry for the double-post, but I tried my best at a how-to writeup in Nate's thread.

Should prove useful for those participating in this group buy!!

Check it out here: http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=32368&p=468225&viewfull=1#post468225

matts88yj
07-05-2012, 04:10 AM
For the man I met in person who was the first (that I am aware of!) to actually install a replacement overlay on his g8 cluster, this is very impressive.

To say that he was motivated to find something even better than what he and I initially installed on his cluster back in March, shows me that Matt is very organized, focused, and can get the job done. Great job, Matt!

And sorry for the double-post, but I tried my best at a how-to writeup in Nate's thread.

Should prove useful for those participating in this group buy!!

Check it out here: http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=32368&p=468225&viewfull=1#post468225

Thank you zep! I REALLY wanted this done in the worst way and I'm just glad I can help some other members out at the same time! Those are some good writeup tips as well as far as removing the factory overlay and getting the new one in place.

I'm still waiting on payment from the last 3 members. PM's have been sent out. If I don't received anything by the end of this coming weekend even more PM's will go out.

I also already received some proofs from the company but nothing that you haven't already seen. I had to advise them on some changes since there was a bit of a miscommunication but not to worry, it is being taken care of now. They are really on the ball with this for sure.

Thank you everyone and hope you have a great day!

iisme13
07-05-2012, 05:46 AM
Payment sent

matts88yj
07-05-2012, 06:01 AM
Payment sent

Thank you very much! List will be updated.

auzgts
07-05-2012, 06:33 AM

--zepcom

Keep me updated Matt on how it all turns out. Glad I could help you out on this side of the pond. Looking forward to seeing all the pics of everyone's dash once the new overlays have been installed.

Seattle09GT
07-05-2012, 09:51 AM
If we still have two people holding this up - PAY UP ALREADY!!!

todds87ss
07-05-2012, 09:53 AM
Personally, was very happy with price. I think you should allow more and YOU make the extra money for the savings, as YOU did all this work! Very FAIR!

I second this! Very good of you to facilitate this!

Semperfire
07-05-2012, 10:12 AM

*** Way late I know but if one of the two who haven't paid backed out I'd step in???

Seattle09GT
07-05-2012, 11:22 AM
Keep me updated Matt on how it all turns out. Glad I could help you out on this side of the pond. Looking forward to seeing all the pics of everyone's dash once the new overlays have been installed.

Appreciate your assistance last year and finally anchoring down a vendor to do this work - and for being "first" when working with this specific vendor.

Bill Brollier
07-05-2012, 12:29 PM
Matt, you have a PM

matts88yj
07-06-2012, 03:17 AM

Will do! Thank you for working with me to help get this setup! It has been pretty neat to see this come to life!

2 of the 3 have paid within a day. Only one to go! The last member has been on the forum since I posted up about pricing and sent a PM. If nothing by the end of this weekend he will have one last chance and that's it. Gotta keep this moving.

I second this! Very good of you to facilitate this!

Thank you. Since I'm not a paying vendor I didn't want to step over any boundaries or anything as far as me then taking any profit directly from a sale of an overlay. Donations tho is a different ballgame! ;)

*** Way late I know but if one of the two who haven't paid backed out I'd step in???

Unfortunately this group buy list is set. There may be another group buy in the future but I'm focusing on this one first. I know there have been a few others interested as well. Minimum amount of people is 10 to have the aggressive pricing that we did with this one.

Matt, you have a PM

PM will be replied to in a few minutes! Thank you very much!!

Semperfire
07-06-2012, 05:19 AM
Matt- Its cool Ill look for it at a later time, just thought I'd offer.

matts88yj
07-06-2012, 02:31 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen, everyone has paid and is accounted for!! I just received a PM now from the last member. Some pretty bad storms ripped through his area and he was busy taking care of the home front.

FULL STEAM AHEAD!! :)

I should have a second set of proofs coming back to me shortly. I'll confirm with them that they received all of the payments in full. I just wanted to thank everyone again for the cooperation and time. I hope I had this organized enough for everyone to follow along easily.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

deputycrawford
07-06-2012, 02:43 PM
I am soooo sorry guys. I got super busy at work. My pay periods are two weeks long. I should have 42 hours overtime on my next check. I have no internet at my house and have to wait till I can sneak to a computer sometimes. I paid today and am supposed to recieve a confirmation from paypal any minute. Sorry for the hold up. I am excited for this overlay. I have even stopped showing the car until I have it installed. I hope we get them fast.

Jerry

Seattle09GT
07-06-2012, 02:48 PM
We be in business!

JR09country
07-06-2012, 03:59 PM
No worries , I am glad we are good to go!

matts88yj
07-10-2012, 06:49 AM
Just received the second proof back and they have this nailed down. The design is perfect as well as the coloring. I have attached it as a PDF if anyone is curious about it. I have not given them the final okay yet but from what I can see, all of the design elements have been implemented correctly and are very well done. I shall be replying to them letting them know it's a go for production.

I also wanted to pass along the praise from them that we have been one of the fastest to organize payments to them! The big thanks goes out to all of you involved! Thank you for making this so streamlined!:thumbsup:

deputycrawford
07-10-2012, 08:20 AM
Please hurry and give them approval. I can't sleep anymore...lol

Jerry

matts88yj
07-10-2012, 08:31 AM
please hurry and give them approval. I can't sleep anymore...lol

jerry

Lmao!! :)

JR09country
07-10-2012, 09:56 AM
Is there any pictures with anyone doing a clear needle instead of the red. I know on my silverado this was an easy task by just using nail polish remover and it came out decent but I am not sure how it would look on our cars.

Seattle09GT
07-10-2012, 11:04 AM
OMG - it's a freakin' work of art. It's PERFECT. Looks just like the SS V-Series gauges but US spec. Outstanding work to the vendor and those who are working with them.

-Ray-
07-10-2012, 02:26 PM
OMG - it's a freakin' work of art. It's PERFECT. Looks just like the SS V-Series gauges but US spec. Outstanding work to the vendor and those who are working with them.

For a minute there I thought you were going to get excited.

I approve.

G8Holland
07-10-2012, 03:09 PM
The overlay looks great. Thanks to everyone who's made this happen.

matts88yj
07-10-2012, 03:40 PM
Excellent! I wanted to get a few replies with the feedback but seems like its a go! Confirmation will be sent to them in a few minutes to have that design go to production!

I'll keep everyone updated as far as when they have been made, ship to me and when I receive them.

Hope everyone has a great evening! :)

zepcom
07-11-2012, 10:49 AM
Is there any physical difference between the 2008 and 2009.1 and 2009.5 gauges? Besides the red-ring gauges having white stock needles, whereas the onyx gauges having red needles.

I would think that the M6 cars and the A6 cars have the same exact specs (1-4 skip shift icon inside the tach) ... but was wondering if there are any physical differences between the different years.

Sounds like this is really close to production. Awesome!

--zepcom

matts88yj
07-11-2012, 11:24 AM
Is there any physical difference between the 2008 and 2009.1 and 2009.5 gauges? Besides the red-ring gauges having white stock needles, whereas the onyx gauges having red needles.

I would think that the M6 cars and the A6 cars have the same exact specs (1-4 skip shift icon inside the tach) ... but was wondering if there are any physical differences between the different years.

Sounds like this is really close to production. Awesome!

--zepcom

I compared the 2008 donor cluster to my own cluster and the overlays were exactly the same.

Seattle09GT
07-11-2012, 11:52 AM
I can double confirm matt's observation. I did a comparo to the 2008 donor cluster I bought last year to my 2009.1 G8 GT and they are a perfect match.

JR09country
07-11-2012, 01:48 PM
Is there any part numbers for the clear needles? Or were they sold as a set with the red cluster?

Bill Brollier
07-11-2012, 02:03 PM
So that's what the 1-4 on the cluster indicates. Thanks Zep

matts88yj
07-11-2012, 05:16 PM
Is there any part numbers for the clear needles? Or were they sold as a set with the red cluster?

You may be able to obtain a set from Crazy Paul here on the forum. Send him a PM and he will be able to let you know if they are available or not and if they are available, how much they would be.

JR09country
07-11-2012, 07:06 PM
I have received a couple of items from him before and he is definitely the guy to go to, I was hoping it might be a part kept in the U.S. to save on shipping but I doubt it. Thanks for the response!

matts88yj
07-12-2012, 03:50 AM
Might be able to check with Greg at Pace to see if that is available here stateside.

Seattle09GT
07-12-2012, 07:40 AM
I also think Chris White will do a needle swap on the G8 gauge cluster. I know he's not very keen on these overlay swaps.

matts88yj
07-12-2012, 08:43 AM
Manufacturing of the overlays will begin early next week. We are roughly looking at two weeks until they here state side. I'll keep everyone updated.

matts88yj
07-20-2012, 04:30 PM
Just received word that they are done manufacturing and will be shipping on Monday! I have everyone's information ready to go and as soon as I receive them I'll be shipping them out to everyone's address via UPS. If there is an issue with that please let me know right away.

I'm going to be packing these myself and shipping them out to everyone. I did some rough calculations and it looks like its going to be around $5-$10 to ship them out per overlay. I know some have already covered for their shipping to their address and for that I thank you! If you would like to contribute to your shipping charge you can PayPal me directly and I'll get it marked down. My PayPal is matts88yj@gmail.com

I'm not trying to make anything off of these, just covering the cost to your door. It's been a long time coming and I'll keep everyone updated on the progress of the shipment! Thank you everyone and hope you all have a great weekend!

-Ray-
07-20-2012, 04:51 PM
I looked in earlier and was going to bump it, but read your post again and decided to wait.
When you ship mine, pm the shipping charges.

matts88yj
07-20-2012, 05:33 PM
I looked in earlier and was going to bump it, but read your post again and decided to wait.

Will do! Good luck with getting the new motor in this weekend! It looks great even on the stand!

Kensai478
07-20-2012, 05:41 PM

Ditto, PM me actual charges. I want you covered, no estimates here. :thumbsup:

Seattle09GT
07-20-2012, 05:45 PM
You have money.

matts88yj
07-20-2012, 05:46 PM
Ditto, PM me actual charges. I want you covered, no estimates here. :thumbsup:

You got it! Based on the speed of their shipping I should have them in my hands toward the end of next week :)

JR09country
07-20-2012, 06:29 PM
You have money, let me know if its more than that.

G8Holland
07-21-2012, 02:26 AM
You have money. If there's anything else, let me know.

deputycrawford
07-21-2012, 06:30 AM
I will put some money into Paypal soon. I'm excited to get this in my hands. Thanks a million for all you have done.

Jerry

matts88yj
07-25-2012, 04:37 AM
I'm going to be sending quotes out to those that have requested it today. Check your PM's please and to those that have already paid, thank you very much!

- Matt

matts88yj
07-25-2012, 05:11 AM
Okay I just had some extra time and did all of the shipping quotes out to everyone.

Good news is the overlays should be here tomorrow! :)

I'll keep everyone updated. Hope everyone has a great day!

deputycrawford
07-25-2012, 05:57 AM
Thanks for the update. I have been checking this post daily. Let us know how they look in person. Gotta be a pretty sight.

Jerry

jcmGT
07-25-2012, 10:22 AM
Has a DIY tutorial been generated yet? Or any news on change of needles?

While it's fun to be the first, the second mouse usually get the cheese....

matts88yj
07-26-2012, 03:28 AM
Has a DIY tutorial been generated yet? Or any news on change of needles?

While it's fun to be the first, the second mouse usually get the cheese....

One has somewhat been done up. I know that I used my account with AllData to get to the overlay but zepcom also outlined it nicely in VegasNate's overlay thread. I'll paste it below. Also I believe Nate said he would be willing to help anyone that has any further questions on getting their overlay installed. I have had my gauge cluster completely out of my car once so I had a guideline already in my head of what needed to be done. It looks like a big project but once you have it apart you'll realize that it's really not that bad.

Overlays are out for delivery today! :thumbsup:

It really wasn't all that hard, but then and again, we had a Tech2 at our disposal to "Step" the needles to be exactly where they needed to be for full OEM accuracy.

It can be done without the Tech2, but you have to be very careful to not twist the pins that the needles affix to, and you need to make sure that you align them exactly where they need to be, obviously.

A metal kitchen fork comes in handy for evenly and carefully removing each of the needles.

It also helps to have an absolutely full tank of fuel... the needle (pre-removal) should be exactly vertical on the gauge, this will make reinstallation and alignment later much easier.

Through engineering mode, there's a mode that says "SELF TEST" (wear earplugs when conducting this test!)
Before you remove the cluster, run self test and take a picture.

Also take note of how far away each needle is from the backplane, and how far each needle is from the inner bezel "circles" on the speedo and tach.

Now for the step by step...

To get to the IPC cluster face, it is NOT NECESSARY to physically/electrically unplug the cluster from the car.
First, locate the black plastic trim bezel under the sun-visor arc of the IPC area, held in by 3 angled philips head screws. Might want to use a stubby screwdriver for this, as the steering column might provide a clearance issue for a standard sized screwdriver.

Best to tilt the steering wheel down all the way to do this.

You don't NEED to unplug and remove the IPC from the car. If you do, it's best to do so after unhooking the battery to ensure that you don't short anything out or disturb the BCM bus too much. NOTE: If you physically disconnect the wiring from the back of the cluster as part of this process, a BCM code is set saying that the cluster has been removed. Of course these codes can be cleared with a tech 2 or a dealership visit (NOT possible with simply the $50 handheld "CEL code scanner" type devices) if this bothers you.

If you are able to work within the confines of the steering wheel area, it's not necessary to completely remove the cluster from the car, just extra care is needed to ensure that you don't break anything (needles) when trying to get hands and tools (fork) in there to complete each task.

In any event, if you do decide to leave the cluster installed in the car, ensure that the drivers door is open and that the key is OUT of the ignition, to ensure that the power to the IPC is cut (and not under RAPP control either)

Anyways ... back to the how-to:

Then the clear plastic shield can come off with a few screws, and this *should* allow you to do the needles without having to disconnect the cluster from the car (and thus not tripping that "cluster removed BCM code"). Be very gentile with the needles, use the fork to slowly, carefully, and EVENLY pull the needle off of the base one by one. Now the cluster rings surround can be removed (this is the plastic "rings" around the speedo and tach, just a plastic piece) ... and followed by the sticky stock cluster face that is just stuck on there from the factory.

Now you can carefully align the replacement cluster face, a quality one will have the same "pegs" and alignment marks to align and install the replacement cluster face just like the stock piece came off. Now install the cluster rings surround, followed by the moment of truth, the needles.

If you are daring enough to power up the cluster without needles installed, go back into engineering mode and re-run self test (Reference ear plugs, it's loud and headache inducing!) and if necessary, reference the picture you took earlier. One by one, put on each of the 4 needles to the exact same positions as the self-test-picture-from-before-you-started shows, and you should be good.

Be careful NOT to press the needles on TOO FAR. Not only will this prevent them from sweeping properly, but it may cause contact with the trim ring that surrounds the speedo and tach that have the lit up "white marks" along the arc. You want the needle close to these, but not touching EVER.

PROTIP: Do not re-install the clear plastic cover over the IPC until you've verified your needle accuracy.

Those who are very interested in accuracy.... ensure the following:

Run "big speedo DIC mode", or engineering-mode, or use dashboss or similar datalogging device to get a digital readout of SPEED and ensure that the newly placed needle is accurate. Even using a handheld GPS and datalogging actual speed at various speeds will tell you if your speedo needle was installed accurately or not. IF NOT, shut down car and carefully use fork again, and repeat the process.
Same as above for TACH, go into engineering mode and select "RPM" to see the digital readout on the DIC and compare it to your tach needle recently replaced. Verify at 1k, 2k, 3k, etc. If good, You're Awesome. Otherwise, power down car, carefully use the fork to remove the needle without twisting it, and try again.
Same for temp
Same for Gas (if you filled up to a full tank, simply make sure that needle is once again vertical with power applied to the car, indicating a full tank.

Each of those bulletpoints above can be simplified if you have direct access to a GM Tech2. That allows the user to, through menus, step each of the needles to their "zero point" and "max value" to ensure that they're aligned properly. Additionally, the Tech2 can command any value of any guage, for utmost precision.

Again, this can easily be done without the Tech2, negligable inaccuracy if a combination of the above tips and tricks are followed above (SELF TEST mode at 50% (vertical) needles, or Engineering mode digital value comparison of tach, speedo, etc, or GPS alignment to speed, etc) then you can have a custom cluster face with minimal effort.

Once all is well and you're satisfied your needles are correct, now you can re-install the plastic face onto the cluster (be careful of smudges and fingerprints, use a microfiber towel if needed), followed by installing the cluster back into the dash itself. I recommend a magnetic philips screwdriver in this case, it's a bitch to try and retrieve a dropped screw when you're "so close" to bringing it to the screw hole. Finally, re-install the plastic bezel with the screws along the top at the proper angle. Shorty/stubby screwdriver is needed here due to steering column clearance issues.

:thumbsup: That should get it done. :thumbsup:

Matt and I took a bunch of pictures back when we did this project, but we never did a writeup for whatever reason. My writeup skilz aren't all that great, but hopefully the above makes sense and you can accomplish this. I also helped Nate with some of the above so that he could complete his cluster face swap with minimal effort.

Sorry to tag onto Nate's thread, but I didn't want to put this in Matt's group buy thread either, so I figure the mods can do what they want to to make this be a resource to those who want to tackle this cluster face swap project. :popo: It's easy, straight forward, and something that accuracy and carefulness can pay off big dividends. Matt's first cluster turned out fine, and his next one will be even better. And Nate's cluster face swap is awesome too.

Hope this how-to helps. I hope this resource proves useful to others (including those participating in the group buy) who want to do this themselves.

--zepcom

zepcom
07-26-2012, 04:19 AM
but zepcom also outlined it nicely in VegasNate's overlay thread.

Notice in that writeup, I wrote:

Run "big speedo DIC mode"

And I did not say, run "big dick speedo mode".

There is a real and serious difference here.

ha ha

Matt -- thanks for bringing that over here, I didn't want to squat on your thread before. If my writeup is in any way unclear, by all means, I'm also available as a resource to help people out who tackle the cluster overlay project themselves... PM or post on this thread, whatever works.

--zep

Seattle09GT
07-26-2012, 08:06 AM
Awesomeness!

matts88yj
07-26-2012, 02:18 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, they have arrived! I'm going to pick up my car in a few minutes and bring her in the garage. Hopefully the thunderstorms in my area hold off so I have power in the garage because I'm hellbent to get mine in tonight!! I'm going to use the good camera to take photos of the overlay as soon as I get home with the car. I'm very impressed with how they look out of the box.

I know I know pics coming soon! Just wanted to let you know they arrived okay! :)

G8Holland
07-26-2012, 02:38 PM
Sweet! Good to know they made it across with no issues.

Seattle09GT
07-26-2012, 04:36 PM
Pictures! Pictures! Pictures! Pictures! Pictures! Pictures! Pictures!!!

matts88yj
07-26-2012, 06:11 PM
Pictures! Pictures! Pictures! Pictures! Pictures! Pictures! Pictures!!!

Ask and ye shall receive. Freshly installed and it looks perfect. Honestly it makes my old overlay look like a joke in person. The construction and quality is all there. Anyways here are a few to hold everyone over. :thumbsup:

Front side:

Back side:

Day time shots:

This one is showing the illumination of a few indicator lights at the top in daylight. They are nice and bright and pretty much the same as OEM.

Night time shot:

I think I have my overall brightness of the cluster set somewhere in the middle. Honestly, this photo doesn't even do it any justice. Just wait until you get this installed and you'll be giggling like an idiot.

That's all I have for now. I'm going to get off of here since it's still raining hard and has been storming for quite a while. Hope this puts some smiles on your faces! :brock:

VegasNate
07-26-2012, 06:15 PM
Looks really good. Sucks they didn't want to work with what I wanted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

matts88yj
07-26-2012, 06:21 PM

I wish they would have worked with you more as well. I was bummed about that big time.

Thank you tho! Looking at it in person and on that nighttime shot I can tell my camera needs to be adjusted. It does it no justice. I'm very pleased with the results and I'm sure everyone else will be to.

LDM
07-26-2012, 06:36 PM
Looks good. Now you just need red needles for the gas and ECT gauges. Have you done the Self Test in Engineering Mode to get all the lights to light up at once?

matts88yj
07-26-2012, 07:05 PM
Looks good. Now you just need red needles for the gas and ECT gauges. Have you done the Self Test in Engineering Mode to get all the lights to light up at once?

I put the needles like that on purpose ;) The red is easier to see against the gray in the daylight and I wanted to be a little different. :)

I have done the self test but that red screen washes everything out when you take a photo. I'll try and cut a piece of cardboard out and see if that masks most of that light and take a photo then.

auzgts
07-27-2012, 02:18 AM
Ladies and gentlemen, they have arrived! I'm going to pick up my car in a few minutes and bring her in the garage. Hopefully the thunderstorms in my area hold off so I have power in the garage because I'm hellbent to get mine in tonight!! I'm going to use the good camera to take photos of the overlay as soon as I get home with the car. I'm very impressed with how they look out of the box.

I know I know pics coming soon! Just wanted to let you know they arrived okay! :)

Well done Matt!! Good to see all the hard work and leg work is finally coming to fruition. Can't wait to see the photos on my lappy once I get home. Sadly iPhone won't open the pictures.

auzgts
07-27-2012, 02:21 AM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Do you want me to try them again Nate? Get home from Ghana this weekend and can call them on Monday...

deputycrawford
07-27-2012, 03:59 AM
Looks great. I can't wait to get mine and install it. I'm excited to show the car again with the new overlay.

Jerry

Bill Brollier
07-27-2012, 04:52 AM
:)

zepcom
07-27-2012, 05:17 AM
I put the needles like that on purpose ;) The red is easier to see against the gray in the daylight and I wanted to be a little different. :)

I have done the self test but that red screen washes everything out when you take a photo. I'll try and cut a piece of cardboard out and see if that masks most of that light and take a photo then.

Might I suggest using a DSLR and playing with backlighting (possibly shine a work light up against the celing of the car to fill the area with a little uniform light) and see if you can optimize the photograph elements (ISO relative speed, are you on the equivilant of 800/400/200/100 ISO?) sometimes when washout occurs, I've found that changing the ambient lighting helps. Plus with the nikon, hopefully the pictures will be much clearer. If the auto-focus,auto-lighting notices the car is dark, it will change the ISO speed to a higher number, such as 800, then when the DIC shows itself in a big way (lol) it washes out because that's bright compared to the normalized and dark background. But by changing the ISO up to 200 lets say, it would balance out the brightness and with some adequate (not flash) backlighting, you should be able to get some good shots.

Not only that, but if you change the placement of where the camera is "installed in the car" to one side or another, sometimes you can get rid of the glare or inbalance in focus or light.

Just some suggestions that have worked for me in the past.

I am waiting on when others receive theirs and their showoff thread as well, FTW!

matts88yj
07-27-2012, 07:59 AM
Yeah I just grabbed the point and shoot for those photos quick. I'll try and get some better shots with the better camera at some point.

Seattle09GT
07-27-2012, 01:38 PM
Great moogly googly, it's for real. This is really happening. They look - perfect. Matt words cannot express the gratitude of you taking this ball and carrying it to the end zone.

matts88yj
07-27-2012, 02:36 PM
Great moogly googly, it's for real. This is really happening. They look - perfect. Matt words cannot express the gratitude of you taking this ball and carrying it to the end zone.

It's really been my pleasure! Everyone has been great to work with during this group buy. I'm gathering some packing materials and packing those that have paid already and those looking for another method of shipment to their address.

Can't wait to see what you guys have to say and how you like them! I'll try to get some better photos with the better camera next weekend after I get all of the overlays packed up and ready for shipment.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Kensai478
07-28-2012, 10:48 AM
All I can say is.....Awesome job Matt!

deputycrawford
07-31-2012, 08:26 AM
I hope it's soon. I'm off this weekend and wanted to show the car with the overlay in it. Either way. I'm happy it's happening at all. Thanks Matt

Jerry

matts88yj
07-31-2012, 05:33 PM
Everyone that has paid for shipping should have a PM with a tracking number by the end of the day tomorrow (August 1st). All but 1 has paid for shipping to their address. They are all in route to everyone now. I'm hoping they all arrive safe and sound. :: fingers crossed ::

Hope everyone has a great day!

jcmGT
08-01-2012, 12:58 PM
It's here! Thanks Matt, excellent job!

Bill Brollier
08-01-2012, 01:50 PM
My overlay, according to UPS, was 1387 miles east of me last Monday.

Today it is only 784 miles northeast of me.

Scheduled delivery this Friday.

Come on UPS, bring it to me baby!

Thanks for the tracking number Matt, this is just ANOTHER example of how well you have handled this!

matts88yj
08-01-2012, 02:03 PM
It's here! Thanks Matt, excellent job!

Excellent! Everything okay with the packaging? Just wanted to follow up and make sure.

My overlay, according to UPS, was 1387 miles east of me last Monday.

Today it is only 784 miles northeast of me.

Scheduled delivery this Friday.

Come on UPS, bring it to me baby!

Thanks for the tracking number Matt, this is just ANOTHER example of how well you have handled this!

You're very welcome and thank you for the kudos! I just got home from work and I'm about to send out the second batch of PM's to the members with tracking numbers. :)

matts88yj
08-01-2012, 02:17 PM
All shipping PM's have been sent! Please post up here when you received your overlay!

Any issues please PM me right away.

Thank you and hope everyone has a great evening!

G8Holland
08-01-2012, 02:21 PM
Got mine today, thanks Matt for making this come together. The overlay turned out great.

matts88yj
08-01-2012, 02:35 PM
Got mine today, thanks Matt for making this come together. The overlay turned out great.

Excellent! I'm glad it made it safe and sound! Thank you again for being an awesome forum member to deal with! Hopefully we can meet up at some point at GONE or the V8 Supercars race if you plan on attending.

deputycrawford
08-02-2012, 10:34 AM
I got mine today but I messed it up. How do you get protein stains off the overlay?

Jerry

Seattle09GT
08-02-2012, 12:27 PM
Mine comes on Monday. :)

ghodge
08-02-2012, 04:52 PM
I got mine today. It looks great. Hopefully I can get it on this weekend.

-Ray-
08-02-2012, 06:09 PM
Mines been at the post office for two days. Haven't had time to go get it

Kensai478
08-02-2012, 06:10 PM
got mine the other day.... cant wait for the weekend!

GTIngold
08-02-2012, 07:19 PM
Got mine today. Damn people bent the thing even though it says not to bend. It looks like it will be ok it has a slight curve but I have a book on it now luckily these was not a crease.

Bill Brollier
08-03-2012, 08:06 AM
Mine just got to OKC. No damage, looks (I can't resist it) GRRRR8!

Thanks Matt, I'll be glad to buy you a lemonade or the such at G.O.N.E. as a thank you!

:)

auzgts
08-03-2012, 09:27 AM
Mine comes on Monday. :)

Can't wait to see your pictures of this installed Seattle.....you have been waiting for a long time....

Seattle09GT
08-03-2012, 09:51 AM
Can't wait to see your pictures of this installed Seattle.....you have been waiting for a long time....

I see it going down one of two ways - I won't wait and will do it Monday night in the driveway - or I won't do it until after I move sometime in September.

deputycrawford
08-03-2012, 11:19 AM
Got mine yesterday and put it in today. I got the needles to read correctly right away. Looks great. Thanks again.

Jerry

ghodge
08-03-2012, 03:49 PM
Hey Jerry, any tips beyond what was in the circulating howto? did you simply put the needles back or did you do the alignment "procedure"?

George

deputycrawford
08-04-2012, 03:53 AM
I copied the "how to" and took it outside to the car. I followed it to a tee. The needles are the slowest going to get them right. I took a pic in self test mode and used the pic to get the needles correct. I took my time and still had it done in less than an hour.

Jerry

Seattle09GT
08-04-2012, 07:13 AM
I copied the "how to" and took it outside to the car. I followed it to a tee. The needles are the slowest going to get them right. I took a pic in self test mode and used the pic to get the needles correct. I took my time and still had it done in less than an hour.

Jerry

Yup, I'm doing this Monday when I get home LOL. The "self test" install makes a ton of sense. I've been practicing on my donor cluster taking the needles on and off - should go smoothly.

JR09country
08-04-2012, 08:40 AM
I received mine yesterday and it looks fantastic, thank you so much for doing this.

-Ray-
08-04-2012, 12:06 PM
Wife picked mine up this morning.

EcoBrick Bob
08-04-2012, 04:37 PM
My 2 arrived and look GRRRRRRRRRR8TA!!!!!

deputycrawford
08-05-2012, 10:01 AM
Seattle09GT, do the install right away. You will love. The gray is alittle hard to read during the day, but the night time view is awesome and easy to read.

Jerry

jcmGT
08-05-2012, 06:41 PM
first, thanks again to Matt for making this happen.
Second, It's DONE! and looks great!
Third, I must be the first 2009.5 as the overlay required modification to work. 5 holes needed to be added, 2 elongated and the speedo/tach holes opened up.

Other tips:
- Silver trim needs to be removed
- Five screws for the first piece
- 4 screws for the IP

Did mine and left it plugged in. Took about two hrs, including the mods. The images will tell the rest of the story.

Finished product (should look the same as everyone else)

overlay of the overlay

Modifications

Any questions, let me know. Neeles are lined up correct as viewed for drivers seat, camera angle offsets them

Seattle09GT
08-05-2012, 08:23 PM
Dayum!

That looks great!

http://forum.grrrr8.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=16228&d=1344220726

Mine are about 30 miles away, been sitting there since Saturday morning - almost done - WOOT!

matts88yj
08-06-2012, 03:46 AM
Got mine yesterday and put it in today. I got the needles to read correctly right away. Looks great. Thanks again.

Jerry

Awesome! You're very welcome!

I received mine yesterday and it looks fantastic, thank you so much for doing this.

You're very welcome!

Wife picked mine up this morning.

Hopefully it arrive in good shape?

My 2 arrived and look GRRRRRRRRRR8TA!!!!!

Excellent! Let me know how they turn out!

first, thanks again to Matt for making this happen.
Second, It's DONE! and looks great!
Third, I must be the first 2009.5 as the overlay required modification to work. 5 holes needed to be added, 2 elongated and the speedo/tach holes opened up.

Other tips:
- Silver trim needs to be removed
- Five screws for the first piece
- 4 screws for the IP

Did mine and left it plugged in. Took about two hrs, including the mods. The images will tell the rest of the story.

Finished product (should look the same as everyone else)

overlay of the overlay

Modifications

Any questions, let me know. Needles are lined up correct as viewed for drivers seat, camera angle offsets them

Hopefully that wasn't too difficult to modify and I hope you are happy with the results! Could you please post your post in the tech thread as well? Just so the tech parts are still maintained in the thread in the Electronics section for future reference if needed.

Thank you!

Sorry for the delays in replying to everyone. I was celebrating my birthday a little early this past weekend with my better half :)

zepcom
08-06-2012, 10:28 AM
Happy Birthday Matt, even though it's not till Wednesday? :) Anyways Matt, you hit this one out of the park, great job on all the coordination of the logistics!

I've helped out a few people via PM who have had a little bit of trouble "Getting started" ... but overall, the results look great. Just take your time and pay attention and it will be all good!

I really like the pics posted so far... especially the "redline" marker on the tach. Keep the pictures and updates coming everyone!!

matts88yj
08-07-2012, 10:03 AM
Happy Birthday Matt, even though it's not till Wednesday? :) Anyways Matt, you hit this one out of the park, great job on all the coordination of the logistics!

I've helped out a few people via PM who have had a little bit of trouble "Getting started" ... but overall, the results look great. Just take your time and pay attention and it will be all good!

I really like the pics posted so far... especially the "redline" marker on the tach. Keep the pictures and updates coming everyone!!

Since my better halfs birthday was the week before, we just decided to celebrate on the weekend in between. :)

Thanks for the props! I'm hoping to meet a few members in the upcoming years at GONE and V8SC.

zepcom
08-28-2012, 05:53 AM
no more pics from those who have installed theirs? Or did I miss another thread that has the pics? I want to see them!! :)

Bill Brollier
08-28-2012, 10:19 AM
Here's mine. The dash overlay has had nothing to do with the silver trim slowly going dark:)

Wonder how many of us with the dash overlay will be at G.O.N.E. 2012?

The Yeti
08-28-2012, 10:25 AM
Those pics look great. Nice mod to freshin things up. I want one now lol

G8Holland
08-30-2012, 03:07 PM
Finally got mine installed. Tried the red needles, with white LEDs behind first, didn't look good (too much of a pink light). Just left the white needles in, will have to see how they show up in full sunlight.

Can't thank Matt enough for making this a reality, really changes the look of the car.

matts88yj
08-31-2012, 04:23 AM
You're very welcome! Glad you're enjoying it!

damanc
09-17-2012, 11:05 AM
Are there any plans for another round of these? I'm interested but unfortunately ran across this thread too late.

matts88yj
09-18-2012, 03:47 AM
Are there any plans for another round of these? I'm interested but unfortunately ran across this thread too late.

At this point, no. I'm also not sure if there will be another group buy for these for a while (a few years).

matts88yj
10-17-2012, 03:51 AM
Hi all!

I hope everyone is enjoying their new overlays! Just wanted to request a few things from the members who have installed them. If you could please send me some daytime and night time photos of your overlays that would be great. Please send over good quality shots only (no cell phone shots) so I can give the overlay company a little portfolio of how it came together over here in the US.

Please send photos to matts88yj@gmail.com and be sure to include your forum handle in your message somewhere so I know who is who.

Thank you again everyone! Hope you all have a great day!

G8Holland
10-17-2012, 04:02 AM
I'll get you some tonight once it gets dark. Any particular size format you're looking for?

matts88yj
10-17-2012, 04:26 AM
1024 X 768 would be good. I can resize them down if you want to send over the high res versions.

Thank you!

G8Holland
10-17-2012, 04:08 PM
Gauge cluster pics in your mailbox.

matts88yj
10-17-2012, 05:31 PM
Thank you! Anyone else have photos they could send me? It is greatly appreciated!!

iisme13
10-17-2012, 05:39 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/18/y3eme3y7.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/18/u7uhe6ep.jpg

Here's mine.

Bill Brollier
10-23-2012, 04:11 AM
Matt, pictures commin' at you.

Seattle09GT
02-02-2013, 04:54 PM
Well, I FINALLY did it. Yup, it took me this long to do the install but I finally did it today. Like everything else I've found on the G8, the first time around takes 3X longer then if I were to do this the second time. What kind of sadist buries black head screws deep in the bowels of the dash wrapped in black plastic where the light of day is supposed to never shine? After finding the screws and getting everything apart, and concluding you can do the swap without unplugging the gauges I went to open the package with the face. Yup, you read that right, the guy who started this whole crazy idea, chased it for a year, handed off the project in frustration, gets his gauge faces and doesn't even open the package until 7 months later. The package was - empty.

I start to freak out. I'm thinking what the Hell happened, and the next thought was and I waited so damn long to open this thing NO ONE is going to believe empty package. Well, what happened was is as I was cutting the tape from around the edges, the face fell out and it was sitting at my feet on the floor. D'oh!!!

After suffering through "Test Mode" squeal that had my dog whimpering at the same time, I put it all together and the speedometer wasn't working. ARGH! Pull it back apart, reset the needles again, happiness it works!

I'm now Holden Commodore SS V-Series Special Edition from top to bottom, right to the gauges. I'm very seriously considering going VE front clip now - depends on my bonus check. Sales crushed it this year, we can within 1/4 of 1% of our target number, so I'm thinking they'll pay out at 80% of potential. One can dream at least.

As for the gauge faces - they are tremendous - thank you so much for running this down. The diffusion patterns for the battery, fuel, and tach are perfect. Finally have a proper redline too! The diffusion pattern for the speedo is about 85%, it isn't OEM perfect but there are dark spots and light spots, just a couple of areas where it is brighter than others. No worse than the gauges in a Chevrolet Captiva.

Very happy, and taking the car out tonight for a night on the town, at least it isn't raining - for now.

matts88yj
02-05-2013, 04:46 AM
Glad you're happy with it and it all worked out! :thumbsup:

djerickd
05-11-2013, 03:54 PM
if anyone has one to sell, PM me!!