PDA

View Full Version : Checking,Filling,Changing ATF

GRRRR8
08-16-2008, 11:55 AM
This is the service procedure on a 2007 Corvette. Same procedure for ours.

Testing and Inspection

Transmission Fluid Checking

This procedure checks both the transmission fluid level, as well as the condition of the fluid itself. Since the transmission on this vehicle is not equipped with a fill tube and dipstick, a tube in the bottom pan is used to set the fluid level.

Notice: The transmission fluid level must be checked when the transmission fluid temperature (TFT) is between 30-50°C (86-122°F). If the TFT is not within this range, operate the vehicle or allow the fluid to cool as required. Setting the fluid level with a TFT outside this range will result in either an under or over-filled transmission. TFT>50°C =under-filled, TFT<30°C =over-filled. An under-filled transmission will cause premature component wear or damage. An over-filled transmission will cause fluid to discharge out the vent tube, fluid foaming, or pump cavitation.

1. Observe the TFT using the driver information center (DIC) or a scan tool.
2. Start and idle the engine.
3. Depress the brake pedal and move the shift lever through each gear range. Pause for at least 3 seconds in each range. Move the shift lever back to PARK. Ensure the engine RPM is low (500-800 RPM).
4. Allow the engine to idle for at least 1 minute.
5. Raise the vehicle on a hoist. The vehicle must be level, with the engine running and the shift lever in the PARK range.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm132/charlesvanwormer/2007CorvetteTestInspecPic.jpg

Notice: THE ENGINE MUST BE RUNNING when the trans oil level check plug is removed or excessive fluid loss will occur, resulting in an under-filled condition. An under-filled transmission will cause premature component wear or damage.

Important: Continue to monitor the TFT. If the TFT is not within the specified values, reinstall the trans oil level check plug and repeat the previous steps.

6. Remove the trans oil level check plug (1) from the transmission fluid pan. Allow any fluid (2) to drain.

If the fluid is flowing as a steady stream, wait until the fluid begins to drip.
If no fluid comes out, add fluid until fluid drips out.

7. Inspect the fluid color. The fluid should be red or dark brown.

If the fluid color is very dark or black and has a burnt odor, inspect the fluid and inside of the bottom pan for excessive metal particles or other debris. A small amount of "friction" material in the bottom pan is a "normal" condition. If large pieces and/or metal particles are noted in the fluid or bottom pan, flush the oil cooler and cooler lines and overhaul the transmission. If there are no signs of transmission internal damage noted, replace the fluid filter assembly, repair the oil cooler, and flush the cooler lines.

Fluid that is cloudy or milky or appears to be contaminated with water indicates engine coolant or water contamination. Refer to Engine Coolant/Water in Transmission. See: Testing and Inspection\Symptom Related Diagnostic Procedures\Engine Coolant/Water in Transmission
8. Replace the trans oil level check plug and tighten to 25 N.m (18 lb ft).
9. Inspect for external leaks.
10. Reset the oil life monitor only if the fluid was changed.

Transmission Fluid Fill Procedure

Notice: Use Dexron VI transmission fluid only. Failure to use the proper fluid may result in transmission internal damage.

Perform this procedure for vehicles with transmissions that are not equipped with a fill tube and dipstick. Based on accessibility, transmission fluid may be added through the fluid fill tube plug assembly (1) hole or through the oil level check plug (2) hole in the bottom of the transmission fluid pan.

Tools Required
DT 47784 Transmission Fluid Fill Pan Adapter
J 45096 Transmission Oil Cooling System Flush and Flow Test Tool
J 45096-30 Transmission Cooler Flush Adapters
J 45096-40 Transflow Oil Fill Adapter
Fill Tube Plug Method

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm132/charlesvanwormer/2007CorvetteProceduresPic1.jpg

Notice: Before removing the transmission fluid fill tube plug assembly, thoroughly clean around the plug to prevent dirt or contaminants from entering the transmission during plug removal. Use compressed air to dislodge any caked dirt that may be stuck on and around the plug area. Use a mirror to confirm the area is free of dirt before removing the plug. Failure to clean around the plug may result in transmission contamination.

1. Clean around the fluid fill tube plug.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm132/charlesvanwormer/2007CorvetteProceduresPic2.jpg

Important: It may be necessary to use a long pair of 90 degree needle nose pliers to lift the plunger and remove the plug assembly.

2. Unlock the fill tube plug by lifting the plunger. Once the plunger is lifted, remove the entire plug assembly.
3. Determine the approximate amount of fluid needed to fill the transmission, based on the repair performed. Refer to Fluid Capacity Specifications. To avoid an under-fill condition, slightly overfill the transmission, and then allow the extra fluid to drain during the fluid checking procedure.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm132/charlesvanwormer/2007CorvetteProceduresPic3.jpg

Important: The J 45096 is being utilized as a convenient method to pump the fluid into the bottom pan. A suitable hand pump may also be used instead. When using the J 45096, monitor the display panel to determine the amount of fluid being pumped from the tool supply tank into the transmission.

4. Using the J 45096-40 (1) and the J 45096 (2), or a suitable hand pump, add transmission fluid through the fill tube plug opening. Refer to Automatic Transmission Oil Cooler Flushing and Flow Test (J 45096) for complete J 45096 operating instructions. Use the FLOW position on the main function switch to pump the fluid.
5. Check the fluid level.

Check Plug Method

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm132/charlesvanwormer/2007CorvetteProceduresPic4.jpg

Important: When the oil level check plug is removed with the engine OFF, transmission fluid may drain from the hole.

1. Remove the oil level check plug.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm132/charlesvanwormer/2007CorvetteProceduresPic5.jpg

2. Install the DT 47784 (1) and, if necessary, one adapter from the J 45096-30 (2).
3. Determine the approximate amount of fluid needed to fill the transmission, based on the repair performed. Refer to Fluid Capacity Specifications. To avoid an under-fill condition, slightly overfill the transmission, and then allow the extra fluid to drain during the fluid checking procedure. Important: The J 45096 is being utilized as a convenient method to pump the fluid into the bottom pan. A suitable hand pump may also be used instead. When using the J 45096, monitor the display panel to determine the amount of fluid being pumped from the tool supply tank into the transmission.
4. Using the DT 47784 (1), J 45096-30 (2), and the J 45096 (3), add transmission fluid through the check plug hole. Refer to Automatic Transmission Oil Cooler Flushing and Flow Test (J 45096) for complete J 45096 operating instructions. Use the FLOW position on the main function switch to pump the fluid. Important: Failure to start the engine and move the shift lever through the gear ranges before removing the DT 47784 and J 45096-30 from the bottom pan will result in an excess amount of fluid draining from the check plug hole. This may lead to an under-fill condition.
5. Start the engine and move the shift lever through each gear range. Pause for at least 3 seconds in each gear range.
6. With the engine still running, remove the DT 47784 (1), J 45096-30 (2), and J 45096 (3) and then check the fluid level.

Information supplied courtesy of Alldatapro.com

wreckwriter
08-16-2008, 12:02 PM
Not much of a procedure :) I think you forgot a link?

GRRRR8
08-16-2008, 12:07 PM
Give it a sec V doesnt load pics as fast for some reason.

wreckwriter
08-16-2008, 02:10 PM
What a hassle. Amazing.

GRRRR8
08-16-2008, 02:16 PM
Ford, Isuzu, Honda, M-benz, BMW and some others have been doing it this way for awhile. Statistically this method leads to longer life because cheap or incorrect fluids wont be installed. BMW trans fluid is $120 a GALLON! They say if it needs it something is wrong and to R&R trans. I will take our trans any day!

wreckwriter
08-16-2008, 02:19 PM
I like to be able to check my own fluid level. This is, by far, the thing I like least about this car.

GRRRR8
08-16-2008, 02:36 PM
The theory is that the fluid is so good now that if it doesnt leak and is serviced properly by a professional, there is no reason to check it.

Got 8?
08-17-2008, 05:05 PM
Seems simple enough...

wreckwriter
08-17-2008, 05:07 PM
Seems simple enough...

Sure if you happen to be blessed with a lift....

GRRRR8
08-18-2008, 01:10 AM
Yes it is nice to have lifts. I will say 1 of the perks of this career!

Got 8?
08-18-2008, 12:44 PM
Sure if you happen to be blessed with a lift....

Nah just a garage and four jackstands...LOL

wreckwriter
08-18-2008, 12:50 PM
Nobody but me seems to have a big issue with this but it well and truly pisses me off. Never in my life have I had a car where I couldn't check my trans fluid. I consider this a large screwing courtesy of GM.

EC-Ryder
08-18-2008, 07:08 PM
Ford, Isuzu, Honda, M-benz, BMW and some others have been doing it this way for awhile. Statistically this method leads to longer life because cheap or incorrect fluids wont be installed. BMW trans fluid is $120 a GALLON! They say if it needs it something is wrong and to R&R trans. I will take our trans any day!

Yep! I was way ahead of them...I used to have to check it often, but about 10-12 years ago i stopped and never worried about it.

I like to be able to check my own fluid level. This is, by far, the thing I like least about this car.

Big brother thinks he knows best. Seals will never ever leak, and u never have to drive your car through hight water.

Just a thought!

Cheers!

lsp408
08-21-2008, 06:38 AM
so let me get this straight,

to simplefy the steps. first just start car and run through gears then back to park and then remove rubber fill plug and the plug at the bottom of pan. keep fill fluid til it come out of hole at the bottom. then put both plugs back. thats it???

wreckwriter
08-21-2008, 06:40 AM
so let me get this straight,

to simplefy the steps. first just start car and run through gears then back to park and then remove rubber fill plug and the plug at the bottom of pan. keep fill fluid til it come out of hole at the bottom. then put both plugs back. thats it???

Yea that's basically it except for the half hour or more you spend getting your car level on jack stands so you can get under it to do that if you don't happen to have a lift handy.

g8_795
02-24-2009, 04:04 PM
I found the fill plug on the top with the black plugs but the "drip" plug I am not finding?

Is the big main drain plug on the bottom of the pan also the plug that should drip when filled correctly?

Thanks,
Robert

wreckwriter
02-24-2009, 04:07 PM
I found the fill plug on the top with the black plugs but the "drip" plug I am not finding?

Is the big main drain plug on the bottom of the pan also the plug that should drip when filled correctly?

Thanks,
Robert

Yep. Basically back/center.

g8_795
02-24-2009, 06:03 PM
Cool. Thanks Tom.

So this make me wonder how you would drain all of the transmission fluid if you wanted to? Drop the pan?

GRRRR8
02-24-2009, 06:05 PM
Cool. Thanks Tom.

So this make me wonder how you would drain all of the transmission fluid if you wanted to? Drop the pan?

Correct. Stupid design,but lets not get Tom started. :rant:

DRCUSTOMPARTS
02-24-2009, 07:03 PM
It would be easier to change the spark plugs than to check or fill the trans. WTF were those idiots thinking at GM?

BluYa76
02-25-2009, 01:23 AM
This is crap, and I've always changed my fluid on all of my vehicles at intervals of 30-35k miles.... thanks GM. :spank:

Art708
02-25-2009, 04:38 AM
Nobody but me seems to have a big issue with this but it well and truly pisses me off. Never in my life have I had a car where I couldn't check my trans fluid. I consider this a large screwing courtesy of GM.

I totally agree! This is the biggest pain in the ass with the GM cars. I guess when the transmission burns up and shits itself then we'll know that the trans fluid is too low.

wreckwriter
02-25-2009, 04:47 AM
We need to make another push at this. With all the great companies that sponsor this board I know someone could fabricate a dipstick. They'd sell a bunch......

GRRRR8
02-25-2009, 05:11 AM
I am really looking at this to see how it could be done. Even if its just for checking the level and removed after. M-benz doesnt come with a stick, but it has a tube. You can atleast buy the stick.

wreckwriter
02-25-2009, 05:14 AM
Needs to be firewall mount like Lokar I think.

GRRRR8
02-25-2009, 05:19 AM
Yeah. but man is there limited room.

wreckwriter
02-25-2009, 05:29 AM
Yup. Too bad that truck stick didn't fit.

Blackdevil77
02-25-2009, 07:09 AM
any way to get the car raised completely level without a lift? I KNOW i can do this if i could just get the damn thing raised high enough.

R.Penguin
02-25-2009, 05:45 PM
Tom, I'm thinking of a way to accomplish this with a 1/4" drill and random drilling. If it works for you, I'll try it.:p

DRCUSTOMPARTS
02-25-2009, 06:03 PM
any way to get the car raised completely level without a lift? I KNOW i can do this if i could just get the damn thing raised high enough.
4 IDENTICAL jackstands set as high as they will go, that way you know it will be level.

norm8332
02-25-2009, 06:25 PM
Will any of these work with our cars? Or maybe they will make one for ours?

http://www.lokar.com/interior_pages/transdipstick.htm

I sent them an e-mail.

Chooch
02-26-2009, 09:47 AM
You Know, we have electronic everything, why could not a level switch that could at startup check to see "level" or maybe like engineering mode where like most of us who are car "people" idle the car like they say and in again Engineering mode and run a level test. I mean it just makes sense. Even though I have the dealer do my oil changes since the do a Mobil 1 change for 75 bucks and check my tranny fluid level, I like to spend an hour every 2 weeks or so going over all fluids to be sure. This process we have now is just crazy........

wreckwriter
02-26-2009, 10:01 AM
Will any of these work with our cars? Or maybe they will make one for ours?

http://www.lokar.com/interior_pages/transdipstick.htm

I sent them an e-mail.

They don't and they won't. I've already tried everywhere. It will need to be custom fabbed.

norm8332
02-26-2009, 10:03 AM
FYI: Response from e-mail.

Hello Norm,

At this time we do not offer a dipstick for the 6L80E transmission. This is something that we will be looking at in the future even though I do not know of any type of a time frame for this. Please feel free to call me at 877-469-7440 ext 8900 should you have any questions.

Thanks,

Jeff M.
Tech Support
Lokar Performance Products, Inc.
10924 Murdock Drive
Knoxville, TN 37932
Toll Free: 877.469.7440, Ext. 8900
Local: 865.966.2269, Ext. 8900
E-mail: jeffm@lokar.com
Web: www.lokar.com

Oh well...

wreckwriter
02-26-2009, 10:03 AM
See this thread:

http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=549&highlight=dipstick

This guy could do it if someone could go there for fitting.

ronbuick
02-26-2009, 06:55 PM
So I take it the truck one is , was a no go for fitment?? thanks.

Ron

GRRRR8
02-26-2009, 06:59 PM
So I take it the truck one is , was a no go for fitment?? thanks.

Ron

Correct.

pokey
04-07-2009, 10:16 AM
You Know, we have electronic everything, why could not a level switch that could at startup check to see "level" or maybe like engineering mode where like most of us who are car "people" idle the car like they say and in again Engineering mode and run a level test. I mean it just makes sense. Even though I have the dealer do my oil changes since the do a Mobil 1 change for 75 bucks and check my tranny fluid level, I like to spend an hour every 2 weeks or so going over all fluids to be sure. This process we have now is just crazy........

I called my dealer (quick lube) and they will not check my transmission fluid. I think the G8 scares them. :eek:

They WOULD take my money for a Mobile One oil change. I figure if I have to jack the car up to check out the transmission I might as well change the oil and rotate the tires too.

Chooch
04-07-2009, 11:55 AM
I hear ya, but for me, while I have the jacks and stuff, do the oil changes on the wifes car, Mobil 1 costs 25 bucks for a 5 quart container and I need 2, plus 10 bucks for the filter (Good one), I might as well give them the 15 or so bucks and let them do it and they do the trans fluid check as a freebie.

pokey
04-11-2009, 07:12 PM
Is it important to only pull the plug within a couple minutes AFTER running the transmission through Drive and Reverse? I noticed after a little while (while waiting for the transmission to warm up) fluid would begin to run out. It would stop if I ran the transmission through the gears again. I'm thinking this is drawing the fluid up into the valve body?

pokey
04-12-2009, 06:33 PM
I put back in the quart + I let drain out yesterday. Started over and this time made sure the transmission was in the correct temp range before I ran it through the gears and then checked immediately. I'm thinking this is the proper procedure from my experience last night and the info posted previously. Mine was maybe 1/2 quart low but nothing which would affect operation.

What a pain in the ass! I'm not sure if the weekend spent was worth the piece of mind, and my girlfriend was concerned I was with a "Tranny" for hours! :puke:

Good though to get under the car and have a look around, plus changed my oil/filter.

To fill I used about 7ft of 1/2" OD 3/8" ID nylon tubing run about where the dip stick is supposed to be, worked great...the easiest part of the whole process.

syP
04-12-2009, 10:35 PM
so let me get this straight...

if the fluid level is fine.. and i take out that drain plug... it shouldnt leak? Almost like a empty cup at the bottom of a drained bathtub ? Once the water level reaches the top of the cup, it will pour into the cup (ie, onto the ground :) )

pokey
04-13-2009, 07:05 AM
Check the beginning of this thread for the procedure.

DO NOT pull the 'plug' when the car is off, Trans sump not warmed to proper degrees or before shift the transmission through each gear for a few seconds. Else you will loose some fluid.

The example you described above with the cup is essentially how this works, but you have to follow the procedure posted by Charlie before removing the check 'plug'.

I only did it to diagnose (rule out the transmission) as a source of a different issue I'm having with a vibration.

syP
04-13-2009, 04:27 PM
awesome... thanks alot.

makes me wanna install my own TC now ;)

stryker g8gt
04-15-2009, 07:03 PM
make sure your tranny temp is in range......very important.....Do not skip on the steps

Don't ask me how I know.....:spank:

ronbuick
04-17-2009, 06:16 AM
On a side note, which one of the two lines coming out of the trans is the return line, the upper or lower, I want to install a aux. cooler, thanks.

Ron

shane
07-11-2009, 12:22 PM
did this today in the garage with 2 jack stands a jack and 2 ramps..

the did my Rear plate seal and rear main so i wanted to double check the trans level..

put the back on ramps and leveled the car the best i could i did the whole thing and let it run till it stopped dripping..

Then grabed my Mighty Vac and put a little in started flowing out and started to drip, then i stopped.
i think the dealer may have over filled it maybe half a quart..

ronbuick
08-27-2009, 12:17 PM
I would have left that 1/2 qt. in. JMO.

Ron

99-LS1-SS
08-27-2009, 12:23 PM
I am glad I have a manual! That would be a pain in the ass!

Good write up.

BW G8GT
08-27-2009, 01:46 PM
I am glad I have a manual! That would be a pain in the ass!

The procedure to check and service M6 is different than A6?

parish8
02-06-2010, 01:43 PM
i just did this. it wasn't that bad. i picked up a pump as napa for $8. it looks like the top of a pump gojo bottle with a tube attached.

i did a converter and cooler. dumped 1 qt in the converter and 3qt's in a 1 gallon windshild washer jug. got under the car when cold, removed the fill plug. pumped in all 3 qt's. fired it up, did what it said above and when it got to 32C i pulled the plug and let the extra out. i bet it drained a little over 1quart. only took about 20minutes but my car was in the air allready.

i would say there is only about a 10-15 minute window between 30-50deg.

ULTRA Z
03-14-2010, 03:27 PM
wow i wanted to switch to amsoil trans fluid but i'm kinda not wanting to touch it now lol

wreckwriter
03-14-2010, 04:18 PM
wow i wanted to switch to amsoil trans fluid but i'm kinda not wanting to touch it now lol

Don't switch, stick with Dex 6.

vic2186
03-14-2010, 04:21 PM
What a pita to change

sixt9stang
06-03-2010, 01:22 PM

I'm dropping the filter on mine and adding amsoil this weekend. Thanks for the great info!

american_kestrel
09-26-2010, 07:17 PM
****UPDATE****

Pace Performance (Greg) sells a dipstick specifically for the 6L80 automatic 6-speed tranny. It is a firewall mount config.

http://paceperformance.com/index.asp...&ProdID=286269

This is the service procedure on a 2007 Corvette. Same procedure for ours.

Testing and Inspection

Transmission Fluid Checking

This procedure checks both the transmission fluid level, as well as the condition of the fluid itself. Since the transmission on this vehicle is not equipped with a fill tube and dipstick, a tube in the bottom pan is used to set the fluid level.

Notice: The transmission fluid level must be checked when the transmission fluid temperature (TFT) is between 30-50°C (86-122°F). If the TFT is not within this range, operate the vehicle or allow the fluid to cool as required. Setting the fluid level with a TFT outside this range will result in either an under or over-filled transmission. TFT>50°C =under-filled, TFT<30°C =over-filled. An under-filled transmission will cause premature component wear or damage. An over-filled transmission will cause fluid to discharge out the vent tube, fluid foaming, or pump cavitation.

1. Observe the TFT using the driver information center (DIC) or a scan tool.
2. Start and idle the engine.
3. Depress the brake pedal and move the shift lever through each gear range. Pause for at least 3 seconds in each range. Move the shift lever back to PARK. Ensure the engine RPM is low (500-800 RPM).
4. Allow the engine to idle for at least 1 minute.
5. Raise the vehicle on a hoist. The vehicle must be level, with the engine running and the shift lever in the PARK range.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm132/charlesvanwormer/2007CorvetteTestInspecPic.jpg

Notice: THE ENGINE MUST BE RUNNING when the trans oil level check plug is removed or excessive fluid loss will occur, resulting in an under-filled condition. An under-filled transmission will cause premature component wear or damage.

Important: Continue to monitor the TFT. If the TFT is not within the specified values, reinstall the trans oil level check plug and repeat the previous steps.

6. Remove the trans oil level check plug (1) from the transmission fluid pan. Allow any fluid (2) to drain.

If the fluid is flowing as a steady stream, wait until the fluid begins to drip.
If no fluid comes out, add fluid until fluid drips out.

7. Inspect the fluid color. The fluid should be red or dark brown.

If the fluid color is very dark or black and has a burnt odor, inspect the fluid and inside of the bottom pan for excessive metal particles or other debris. A small amount of "friction" material in the bottom pan is a "normal" condition. If large pieces and/or metal particles are noted in the fluid or bottom pan, flush the oil cooler and cooler lines and overhaul the transmission. If there are no signs of transmission internal damage noted, replace the fluid filter assembly, repair the oil cooler, and flush the cooler lines.

Fluid that is cloudy or milky or appears to be contaminated with water indicates engine coolant or water contamination. Refer to Engine Coolant/Water in Transmission. See: Testing and Inspection\Symptom Related Diagnostic Procedures\Engine Coolant/Water in Transmission
8. Replace the trans oil level check plug and tighten to 25 N.m (18 lb ft).
9. Inspect for external leaks.
10. Reset the oil life monitor only if the fluid was changed.

Transmission Fluid Fill Procedure

Notice: Use Dexron VI transmission fluid only. Failure to use the proper fluid may result in transmission internal damage.

Perform this procedure for vehicles with transmissions that are not equipped with a fill tube and dipstick. Based on accessibility, transmission fluid may be added through the fluid fill tube plug assembly (1) hole or through the oil level check plug (2) hole in the bottom of the transmission fluid pan.

Tools Required
DT 47784 Transmission Fluid Fill Pan Adapter
J 45096 Transmission Oil Cooling System Flush and Flow Test Tool
J 45096-30 Transmission Cooler Flush Adapters
J 45096-40 Transflow Oil Fill Adapter
Fill Tube Plug Method

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm132/charlesvanwormer/2007CorvetteProceduresPic1.jpg

Notice: Before removing the transmission fluid fill tube plug assembly, thoroughly clean around the plug to prevent dirt or contaminants from entering the transmission during plug removal. Use compressed air to dislodge any caked dirt that may be stuck on and around the plug area. Use a mirror to confirm the area is free of dirt before removing the plug. Failure to clean around the plug may result in transmission contamination.

1. Clean around the fluid fill tube plug.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm132/charlesvanwormer/2007CorvetteProceduresPic2.jpg

Important: It may be necessary to use a long pair of 90 degree needle nose pliers to lift the plunger and remove the plug assembly.

2. Unlock the fill tube plug by lifting the plunger. Once the plunger is lifted, remove the entire plug assembly.
3. Determine the approximate amount of fluid needed to fill the transmission, based on the repair performed. Refer to Fluid Capacity Specifications. To avoid an under-fill condition, slightly overfill the transmission, and then allow the extra fluid to drain during the fluid checking procedure.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm132/charlesvanwormer/2007CorvetteProceduresPic3.jpg

Important: The J 45096 is being utilized as a convenient method to pump the fluid into the bottom pan. A suitable hand pump may also be used instead. When using the J 45096, monitor the display panel to determine the amount of fluid being pumped from the tool supply tank into the transmission.

4. Using the J 45096-40 (1) and the J 45096 (2), or a suitable hand pump, add transmission fluid through the fill tube plug opening. Refer to Automatic Transmission Oil Cooler Flushing and Flow Test (J 45096) for complete J 45096 operating instructions. Use the FLOW position on the main function switch to pump the fluid.
5. Check the fluid level.

Check Plug Method

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm132/charlesvanwormer/2007CorvetteProceduresPic4.jpg

Important: When the oil level check plug is removed with the engine OFF, transmission fluid may drain from the hole.

1. Remove the oil level check plug.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm132/charlesvanwormer/2007CorvetteProceduresPic5.jpg

2. Install the DT 47784 (1) and, if necessary, one adapter from the J 45096-30 (2).
3. Determine the approximate amount of fluid needed to fill the transmission, based on the repair performed. Refer to Fluid Capacity Specifications. To avoid an under-fill condition, slightly overfill the transmission, and then allow the extra fluid to drain during the fluid checking procedure. Important: The J 45096 is being utilized as a convenient method to pump the fluid into the bottom pan. A suitable hand pump may also be used instead. When using the J 45096, monitor the display panel to determine the amount of fluid being pumped from the tool supply tank into the transmission.
4. Using the DT 47784 (1), J 45096-30 (2), and the J 45096 (3), add transmission fluid through the check plug hole. Refer to Automatic Transmission Oil Cooler Flushing and Flow Test (J 45096) for complete J 45096 operating instructions. Use the FLOW position on the main function switch to pump the fluid. Important: Failure to start the engine and move the shift lever through the gear ranges before removing the DT 47784 and J 45096-30 from the bottom pan will result in an excess amount of fluid draining from the check plug hole. This may lead to an under-fill condition.
5. Start the engine and move the shift lever through each gear range. Pause for at least 3 seconds in each gear range.
6. With the engine still running, remove the DT 47784 (1), J 45096-30 (2), and J 45096 (3) and then check the fluid level.

Information supplied courtesy of Alldatapro.com

JJhummus
01-19-2011, 05:10 AM
I ran into a dilemma with adding tranny fluid and I am looking for some advice. I just finished my cam swap and in that process, one of the caps I put on the tranny cooler lines came off and I lost about a quart of fluid. It reads that the filler plug is on the passenger side of the car. No big deal except the passenger side of the car is up against a wall and I cannot get a jack to lift the car up and add some fluid. This leads to my question; what direction does the tranny fluid flow in and out of the cooler? And, to get a quart in it, could I use the cooler tube to add some fluid back in? That way I could get it moved to the other side of the garage to do the check and fill or drain if necessary. Any help would be great as my tuner is coming tomorrow to start and tune for the new setup. Thanks in advance.

Jeremy

pokey
01-19-2011, 08:20 PM
I don't know how you would fill through the cooler lines but I can say for certain you definitely need to jack the car up to fill following the procedure above. To pull the plug on the top of the transmission you need to get half your torso under the car and reach up from the passenger side. Even then it is a PITA. You are probably ok to move the car only down a quart but I wouldn't drive too far just in case and drive easy. Good luck..

JJhummus
01-21-2011, 09:49 AM
I have a small hand pump that I could hook up to the return line if I only knew which one it was. We now have 6" of snow on the ground, so I probably won't worry about it for a couple of weeks. But, if anyone knows what line is the return, please let me know.

Napalm
03-22-2011, 05:29 AM
WHOLY SHIT. I was looking all over for some dipstick and fill tube. WOW. I knew GM was going to lubed for life transmissions but I didn't think they would do this. I think older transverse axle cars (and minivans) had them first.

Great info thanks. Guess I won't worry about the tranny for a while then.

Daniel Linnett
03-22-2011, 11:38 AM
WHOLY SHIT. I was looking all over for some dipstick and fill tube. WOW. I knew GM was going to lubed for life transmissions but I didn't think they would do this. I think older transverse axle cars (and minivans) had them first.

Great info thanks. Guess I won't worry about the tranny for a while then.

You can buy a custom dipstick tube from a member here. I have one on my car. I will show it to you next time I am in town

texn884
04-10-2011, 01:05 PM
So when you need to change the transmission fluid you dont drop the pan anymore? You have to suck it out?

wreckwriter
05-08-2011, 06:14 AM
What's the recommended method for ensuring the car is level?

Sephiroth
05-08-2011, 06:43 AM
What's the recommended method for ensuring the car is level?

I use 4 stands of the same make/brand. Lift the car on equal levels by the number notches. I believe you can use a level on the pan itself to make sure it's level as well. If the unibody is raised on equal levels though, and your driveway/garage isn't un-level, it shouldn't matter.

Been doing it this way on the 5speed ZF in the Audi, which has the same fill procedure. Make sure you jack it up decently high, and that you remove the fil plug on the side of the 6L80E *before* starting the car. Also make sure you have your pump tube inserted as well. The plug is *right* next to the exhaust, and I've already burnt my wrist once or twice trying to do it with the car on, and trying to put it back in after I was finished.

remember to go through the gears after it reaches 30C and wait 1 minuite, otherwise you'll be greeted to 1-2Quarts of fluid escaping that shouldn't when you remove the fill plug. Don't ask how I know..

wreckwriter
05-08-2011, 07:20 AM
That won't work unless you have equally level lifting points. Since there aren't any real standardized lifting points.... I think I'll put a level on the door sill or the pan and get as close as I can.

Sephiroth
05-08-2011, 07:23 AM
That won't work unless you have equally level lifting points. Since there aren't any real standardized lifting points.... I think I'll put a level on the door sill or the pan and get as close as I can.

you would be resting the jacks on the crinkle pads, which are all level and parallel with each other. It came out level the 1 time I checked with an acutal level. :uhm:

wreckwriter
05-08-2011, 08:44 AM
you would be resting the jacks on the crinkle pads, which are all level and parallel with each other. It came out level the 1 time I checked with an acutal level. :uhm:

I don't trust crinkle pads. I leveled mine on the pan, its warming up now.

Sephiroth
05-08-2011, 11:39 AM
I don't trust crinkle pads. I leveled mine on the pan, its warming up now.

just took a look at this as you've peaked my interest enough to take a second look(and because I'm painting my calipers <_<).

Using my method, the car is level and flat going off the side skirts, but the pan is not, and here's why;

The 6L80E oil pan is @ an angle, so you absolutely do not want to level off the pan, leveling off the oil pan will create an overfilled situation. My suggestion would be to level off the sideskirts per your suggestion, or the crinkle pad method per mine.

The rear tires will dropp more than the front, but this is because of the suspension geometry differences and not because the car is not level.

kendall.alston
12-04-2011, 06:03 PM
wow....this seems like a hassle.... good thing i read this before installing this transmission cooler...

G8GT721
01-29-2012, 02:47 PM
how many qts. for a dry transmission, i think its like 12.x but im not sure anyone.?

should i stick with gm dex VI, royal purple or any other brands?

wreckwriter
01-29-2012, 03:56 PM
Stick with Dex 6

RichsGreyGT
04-02-2013, 01:14 PM
Is this basically the official GM Procedure for filling and replacing fluids in our vehicle?

Anybody have an link that I can share with my Transmission guy to a PDF from GM?

icantdrive55
04-02-2013, 02:12 PM
Is this procedure directly applicable to the LY7 V6 and the A5 transmission? Thanks
Mike

LDM
04-02-2013, 03:59 PM
Is this basically the official GM Procedure for filling and replacing fluids in our vehicle?

Anybody have an link that I can share with my Transmission guy to a PDF from GM?

Rich, that AllData information Charlie posted is word for word the same as what's in the official GM manual that's infront of me, including the pictures. Just print out that first post and give that to your mechanic.

Is this procedure directly applicable to the LY7 V6 and the A5 transmission? Thanks
Mike

Mike, the 5L40E procedure seems to be similar, though the plug is on the side instead of the bottom of the pan. Here's what the manual says for the 5 speed fluid level and condition check:

http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/zz352/lenmartin23/G8/Diagrams/5L40-1.gif
http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/zz352/lenmartin23/G8/Diagrams/5L40-2.gif
http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/zz352/lenmartin23/G8/Diagrams/5L40-3.gif
http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/zz352/lenmartin23/G8/Diagrams/5L40-4.gif

icantdrive55
04-02-2013, 04:43 PM
Thanks Len. I'm at 32,000 miles and feel it's time for this maintenance.

Mike

RichsGreyGT
04-02-2013, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the Confirmation Len.

I printed it out as well as the (Engine Oil Leak at Rear Cover Assembly Area) TSB

I'm hoping that 9qts gets the job done too.......Dave@Yank gave me that amount.....

oh I'm freakin pumped to restall my ride...MUHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAA!!

vert
04-03-2013, 01:02 PM
I performed my check and I had to add about 1/2 qt. I performed the check while I had the car up on jack stands and as long as you have 4 of the same stands and have it parked on a level surface made it easy to get the car level on the stands. I just used a squeeze bottle with a small vac hose attached to add the fluid.

MeanGreenZ71
04-03-2013, 04:41 PM
Measure the front and rear fenders (at the top of the wheel opening). Observe the height difference in the two. Put the car on jack stands and make sure the same difference in height is achieved. Do the same side to side. This will ensure the car is as level as it is sitting on its tires.

RichsGreyGT
04-26-2013, 06:24 AM
My new yankss3200 stall, deep camaro pan and filter and the lashway bundled kit with an earls cooler setup....

My car drank up 13 quarts of dexron VI fluid.....

Glad I bought 14 quarts from greg@pace beforehand

Chewy
04-19-2014, 07:42 AM
I'm at a loss! I put on my camaro pan and pumped in 8qts like I'd been told it's take and when I got it level, ran through the gears, was at 118F and when we pulled the plug at least a qt or more came out. Is that right?

Sent from my iDevice using data nodes and algorithms.

TooManyHobbies
04-19-2014, 11:11 AM
I put in 8 too. After what drained out I think I could have saved $6.00 and only put in 7.

LDM
04-19-2014, 11:33 AM
I'm at a loss! I put on my camaro pan and pumped in 8qts like I'd been told it's take and when I got it level, ran through the gears, was at 118F and when we pulled the plug at least a qt or more came out. Is that right?

Service manual spec for pan capacity is 6.0 qts for the G8 and 6.7 qts for the Camaro. If you put 8 qts in then I suppose 1.3 would've come out.

http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=30447&p=441830&viewfull=1#post441830

Chewy
04-19-2014, 02:03 PM
Thanks guys! I think we got it! Drove it for an hour and saw a high of 145 degrees for the trans. Shifts ok, but man, I need a smaller cam and lower stall.

TooManyHobbies
04-19-2014, 05:16 PM
I need a smaller cam and lower stall.
That is crazy talk.

camopaint0707
06-09-2014, 06:48 AM
this does not look like it's going to be fun