PDA

View Full Version : Removing steering column trim pieces?

wreckwriter
06-04-2012, 03:55 PM
Has anyone ever removed the lower steering column trim piece? The top piece is easy... AllData says you have to pull the wheel; anyone know if it can be done without doing that? I want to remove the turn signal and wiper/washer stalk switches. Thanks!

LDM
06-04-2012, 04:14 PM
I've only had the top cover off when I changed out my steering wheel, but I removed the cover before the wheel even though the manual says you need to remove the wheel in the steps for removing the cover. You may be able to remove the lower trim piece without removing the wheel too.

http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/zz352/lenmartin23/G8/PA140004.jpg

wreckwriter
06-04-2012, 04:31 PM
Yea, disgard question. I was able to get the stalks out by removing only the top cover. Requires small fingers or a willingness to lose a little skin.... No apparent ill effects; car starts and no weird DIC messages.

this frees up room for an upcoming project :)

battousai
06-04-2012, 07:45 PM
For those wondering, to put the bottom piece back in, removal of the steering wheel is required

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

ULTRA Z
06-05-2012, 02:01 AM
Yea, disgard question. I was able to get the stalks out by removing only the top cover. Requires small fingers or a willingness to lose a little skin.... No apparent ill effects; car starts and no weird DIC messages.

this frees up room for an upcoming project :)

Curious to the upcoming project :)

wreckwriter
06-05-2012, 04:07 AM
Nothing special, just trying to move a couple buttons to the wheel and don't want the coil cords getting tangled in these useless (to me) stalk switches.

macvicar24
06-27-2012, 10:28 PM
FYI for anyone who removes the steering wheel. Do not mess with the clock spring with the wheel off. It will throw the steering angle calibration out of whack and you may need to get a tech II hooked up to recalibrate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk