PDA

View Full Version : More noise related issues with my G8...

Swiguy
05-31-2012, 09:34 AM
Hey guys/gals,

I love my G8 but I've always had some noise related issue I've been fixing... fix one noise and another creeps up... it's driving me NUTS!

Anyhow, I recently installed my new DBA rotors and Hawk HPS pads and have come across this noise:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B-uobbKILhOpZ0ZRdkNraUdyRXM

It's a wheel squeal that occurs when I'm doing a low speed, tight right turn. I am thinking it's a wheel bearing or LCA issue... but I'm hoping maybe just a wheel hub clean up (metal brush and some brake cleaner) might do the trick. What do you guys think?

Eidolon
05-31-2012, 10:02 AM
Did this noise occur before the brake job? If not, make sure you correctly installed the brake pads and didn't install two rear (as in, mates to the piston) pads on one side and two front (seats to the bracket) pads on the other. Also, yeah, try cleaning the hub face. If the noise starts after a mod, chances are it's your mod that caused it. :) That be the general rule.

Swiguy
05-31-2012, 10:18 AM
Did this noise occur before the brake job? If not, make sure you correctly installed the brake pads and didn't install two rear (as in, mates to the piston) pads on one side and two front (seats to the bracket) pads on the other. Also, yeah, try cleaning the hub face. If the noise starts after a mod, chances are it's your mod that caused it. :) That be the general rule.

I'm fairly confident everything was installed correctly. It's hard to install a pad wrong (really tough to squeeze in the brake bracket). During my install though I had HELL of a time getting the old rotors off, especially the front driver's side one. The noise is also coming from this spot... anyway, all my wheels were WAY over torqued at my last oil change (f**king Meineke) so that may have had something to do with it.

I'll try cleaning the wheel hub... I hope it's just that.

dandragonrage
06-02-2012, 08:58 AM
FYI about rotors: You can almost always get them off by tightening a bolt or two through the caliper mounting hole(s) (obviously with the caliper off). You put a nut between the rotor and the mounting tab, and put the bolt through so as you tighten it, it presses out on the rotor. This trick so far has a 100% success rate for me so far. Note that for stuck rotors (you wouldn't use this trick otherwise..) they tend to come off with a pretty loud BANG. I've never had one go flying or anything but I personally take care not to stand in front of it just in case...

It sounds like brakes to me too.. Somehow either the rotor or the pads are off-center or running below optimal clearance for whatever reason. Hopefully cleaning stuff up will fix it for ya.. good luck

09SmurfGT
06-02-2012, 09:56 AM
Are you getting abnormal pad wear/ high brake dust on that side? The brakes that were done on mine had a rivet in the wrong place that put everything out of whack. Took gm a week to fix it and melted 2 calipers

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

09SmurfGT
06-02-2012, 09:59 AM
That and they gave me a crap hole aveo to drive

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Swiguy
06-03-2012, 04:13 PM
So I jacked up the front end and took everything apart. I cleaned up the brake pads, rotor, caliper, wheel hub etc with brake cleaner and a metal brush. The wheel hub was kind of dirty but not to bad and the pads seemed to be installed properly. I re-greased the pads, brake hardware (clips) and put everything back. The brake pads are installed properly (one pad without the low wear indicator clip and one with it which is installed at the back of the rotor) and everything seems to be nice and tight. However, the noise remains... not sure what else to try?

However, on a brighter note... I installed my new cabin air filter and fixed my driver's side seat squeak which was super annoying as well.

Swiguy
06-05-2012, 06:44 AM
Any other suggestions guys? I insured the pads were seated correctly and greased up nicely, I also had to proper pads installed (1 pad with the low wear clip and the other without the clip), I guess if it's wheel bearing it would be covered under the powertrain warranty still.

Napalm
06-07-2012, 07:59 AM
Its easy as hell to induce a noise in your brakes with a pad change. even for an expert and internet badazz like myself.

Since you already mentioned you pulled it apart and re greased bits ect. that was my first suggestion.

next are these the slotted and drilled DBA's or slotted only or plain?

If you've never run a slotted or drilled rotor they will make more noise.

Also when you pulled apart where your pads even slightly worn. I haven't used HPS pads in a while but IIRC they have a coating on the pad that is a cutting coating - IE the first 2mm of the pad is a harder ceramic than the rest or something. If the pads don't even look worn let alone smooth - then you need to ride them a while to see if the noise goes away.

768MPH
06-09-2012, 04:43 PM
Check to make sure you have your anti rattle clips installed correctly and no contact between the clips and rotor. It has happened to me before.

Zodiac
06-09-2012, 05:02 PM
So I jacked up the front end and took everything apart. I cleaned up the brake pads, rotor, caliper, wheel hub etc with brake cleaner and a metal brush. The wheel hub was kind of dirty but not to bad and the pads seemed to be installed properly. I re-greased the pads, brake hardware (clips) and put everything back. The brake pads are installed properly (one pad without the low wear indicator clip and one with it which is installed at the back of the rotor) and everything seems to be nice and tight. However, the noise remains... not sure what else to try?

However, on a brighter note... I installed my new cabin air filter and fixed my driver's side seat squeak which was super annoying as well.

I wish I had some info to help you here but alas I don't. My threadjack is going to be how the fuck did you fix the driver side seat squeak!? I want to bring the car out back and shoot it lol.

Swiguy
06-14-2012, 10:40 AM
Check to make sure you have your anti rattle clips installed correctly and no contact between the clips and rotor. It has happened to me before.

Upon a 2nd inspection, it turns out my REAR driver's side wheel was making the f**king noise. And you were right, one of the brake hardware clips were touching the rotor causing the noise. That's what I get I guess for being a cheap ass and not buying new rear brake hardware when I changed the brakes lol...

Swiguy
06-14-2012, 10:41 AM
I wish I had some info to help you here but alas I don't. My threadjack is going to be how the fuck did you fix the driver side seat squeak!? I want to bring the car out back and shoot it lol.

I ended up spraying some WD40 on the bolt that connects the seat buckle to the seat. It seemed to be a little loose and after spraying it... no more noise! Same crap when I owned a G6... typical GM cars and their freaking noise issues.