PDA

View Full Version : Warranty Coming To An End

Seattle09GT
05-15-2012, 02:59 PM
So next Monday my G8 turns 3 years old (well really its four years old but was sold to me on 5/21/09). I have a dealer appointment on 5/18/2012 to do an inspection for any issues, to get three problems addressed:

1) The lock button the main key fob works when it feels like it (I have to press it just right and a few times to get it to work)

2) My XM Radio module continues to be found hanging in my trunk, it doesn't stay in place

3) I honestly don't know how those clips got broken on the center console - but this piece of trim won't stay in place ;)

That is really the only issues I have. The oil is being changed (pffftt, there maybe 3K miles on it - but it is almost a year old) and the tires rotated (done about 5K miles ago also).

Vibration that longer term could be an LCA issue is already documented as a complaint. I really have no issues. Is there anything specific I should ask them to check or do while in there - or is there anything specific I should complain about to get it documented now so if it becomes a problem later, I have at least a slim chance of not holding the bag.

My G8 has 22.9K miles on it.

SRG963
05-16-2012, 07:54 AM
Have them check the rear main seal for leaks.

Do you have any weird shifts? Any clunk, or pop into gear when cold? Any lifter tick?

Seattle09GT
05-16-2012, 11:09 AM
I was going to ask them to check the following things:

1) Main seal for leaks or any sign of leaks

2) Rear diff for leaks or any sign of leaks

My transmission is not making any noises and shifts well. I don't drive my G8 in the winter months so not a whole lot of cold weather starts. I've had in the past three years a few rough 2 - 3 shifts when warming up but not consistent. Been driving the car for almost two weeks straight now (having unseasonably warm weather here and no rain for a change) and the tranny has been smooth.

No lifter tick. I did have a healthy dose of piston slap on a single start about a month ago after the car had sat for about six weeks without a start. Sounded like a damn diesel truck for a second, but I know the LS engines can do this.

I'm not too worried on tranny on seals as they are covered for another two years. My bigger concern is the LCA and front ball joints as I don't have high miles on the car. I'm afraid three odd years from now I'm going to be stuck holding the bag on bad LCA arms that GM knew about for years and being told go suck a rock.

Thanks for the reply!

Seattle09GT
05-18-2012, 11:43 AM
So they are done going through the car. They replaced my key fob for the wonky lock button. No sign of leaks anywhere. Fixed the XM Radio box which kept falling out of its clips in the trunk. Reinstalled a piece of loose trim, oil change, tire rotation and pressures adjusted, brake inspection (did the brakes 8K miles ago with DBA and Hawk pads so kind of pointless), AC, electrical system, battery, etc. and did the recall for the airbag sensor reprogramming.

Car is a cream puff in "near showroom" condition in the words of the service adviser at Kirkland Buick GMC. Car just rolled over 23K miles - turns "3 years old" from an ownership stand point on Monday, four years old from a built on date two weeks after that.

Guess I got a good one.

SRG963
05-18-2012, 02:37 PM
Great! It's always nice to get good info.

mooredata
05-18-2012, 07:29 PM
I bought mine around a month later. +1 on having it checked out. Issues I'm looking at are Strut tower discoloration and Oil residue on rear of pan.

LS1_Disciple
05-18-2012, 07:49 PM
Have you checked to make sure your 3rd brake light is working? I was doing my own inventory last week in preparation of my 3-yr anniversary and mine was dead as a hammer. They replaced it today.