PDA

View Full Version : Picked up something a little different yesterday...

GTPprix
01-18-2009, 07:53 PM
Picked up my new 09 Cobalt SS/TC yesterday, so far I love the car but its a nightmare in the snow. I apparently somehow overlooked the fact it had summer only tires, and they MEAN IT! I got stuck TWICE in ~2 inches of snow LOL I could spin the tires at tip-in in fourth gear at 80MPH on the freeway ROFL So yes some snow tires are in order! Please excuse my dirty epoxy floor; in the summer you could eat off of it :)

http://i381.photobucket.com/albums/oo257/gtpprix/DSCN0279.jpg

Featherburner
01-18-2009, 07:57 PM
Very nice. They are a fun little car and handle like they're on rails. Good luck with your new purchase.

Got 8?
01-18-2009, 08:16 PM
Nice!!! I traded an '07 SS/SC in on the G8...I had one of the last ones w/ the Recaros...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/storm53/Cobalt%20SS/P1010032.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/storm53/Cobalt%20SS/P1010034.jpg

I noticed right away that the 'Balt handled a lot better but the G8 pulls a hell of a lot stronger. I haven't test driven a SS/TC but I hear you only get the full 260 out of it only in 3rd gear on up but nothing a little tuning wouldn't take care of...LOL Supposedly they beefed up the axles and took care of the wheel hop issues but I haven't been on the old boards to find out...

Oh...if you need one I have a bra for it that might fit that I got from a member and never installed it. It's just collecting dust in the corner of my computer room. Cover the shipping plus maybe 5 bucks and its yours. According to him he only used it on about 3 trips out of town...

PM if interested...

Zed

UGotSmkd
01-18-2009, 09:51 PM
They definitely got it right on this particular car with the turbo rather than the supercharger.

Slizzo
01-18-2009, 11:10 PM
Nice pick up man, I hear the TC SS is a monster. I played with an SC SS right after I got the car, was a little hard putting that sucker down.

-Ray-
01-19-2009, 04:14 AM
Beautiful car Chris.

p71
01-19-2009, 04:59 AM
quicker round the 'ring than a gt.

GRRRR8
01-19-2009, 05:06 AM
Very nice Chris. Now get to modding! 91mm turbo! :woohoo:

99-LS1-SS
01-19-2009, 05:09 AM
Cool! I like the styling of those.

GTPprix
01-19-2009, 06:00 AM
Thanks Guys :D

Very nice Chris. Now get to modding! 91mm turbo! :woohoo:

LOL so I can spool... NEVER?!?! :D I've had en ECM on the bench i've been working on for a month or so I'll throw that in as soon as I get some tires so I can drive it LOL

GRRRR8
01-19-2009, 06:31 AM
Thanks Guys :D

LOL so I can spool... NEVER?!?! :D I've had en ECM on the bench i've been working on for a month or so I'll throw that in as soon as I get some tires so I can drive it LOL

Use the 150 shot to help it spool quicker! LOL!

GTPprix
01-19-2009, 06:32 AM
Aw Christ........... this will NOT end well LOL

jnak
01-19-2009, 06:46 AM
Nice colour. I like the wheels on that car too.

johnh
01-19-2009, 08:54 AM
those cobalt are nice little rides....turbo makes them pretty quick too.

How far you plan on pushing it?

r1owner
01-19-2009, 09:00 AM
Congrats! Awesome little car.

GTPprix
01-19-2009, 09:14 AM
those cobalt are nice little rides....turbo makes them pretty quick too.

How far you plan on pushing it?

~320 WHP or so which is pretty much tuning charge pipes and an IC upgrade :)

Got 8?
01-19-2009, 09:37 AM
320??? hope the tranny holds...are there any upgrades for them yet...

That was the only reason I got rid of mine. People were blowing the axles and trannies left and right (most didn't know how to drive though) and GM put out a msg to dealers that if any came in to service w/ even hairline cracks on the tranny cases to call it abuse and deny warranty. New ones were 4 grand and hard to come by so I stop taking mine to the track and waited on the G8 to come over and here I am...waited a long two years but it was worth it...

But on a side note you should be able to bury the needle a lot easier with that power.

GTPprix
01-19-2009, 09:46 AM
They upgraded the half shafts and I believe the trans as well, there are a few of the TC's pushing over 300 WHP with nothing but a new clutch so I guess we'll see. I've got warranty covered if needbe but you do raise a very important point LOL I would think with the 5100 RPM launch control they better be able to hold it. They did do something interesting with the ECM calibration though... they limit it to 63% Max torque in 1st and 2nd gear muahaha :D

Got 8?
01-19-2009, 09:58 AM
They upgraded the half shafts and I believe the trans as well, there are a few of the TC's pushing over 300 WHP with nothing but a new clutch so I guess we'll see. I've got warranty covered if needbe but you do raise a very important point LOL I would think with the 5100 RPM launch control they better be able to hold it. They did do something interesting with the ECM calibration though... they limit it to 63% Max torque in 1st and 2nd gear muahaha :D

Yeah clutch was the first thing to always mod when pushing over 260RWHP and yep I hate to say it but...told ya on the "no full power till third" LOL

If it was me 2nd I might change but 1st I'd probably tweak to my liking you won't be able to put it to the ground anyway. Even w/ just a GM STG2 on the SC that I had 1st was pretty much a "roast 'em" gear no mater how fast you were going...LOL People that were highly modded were the first ones to limit boost when they tuned using HPTuners. Some as low as 8lbs in 1st gear and then let it rip in second. Anyway have fun w/ it, I wouldn't mine having a TC as a daily driver in my stable to play w/ back and forth to work like before but unfortunately I can't afford to...

Losted125
01-20-2009, 01:58 AM
very nice cars took one out when my dad was at a chevy Dealership for a few months befoe heading back to his old dealer,

im now trying to talk the little brother into one....i mean come on no one ever tried to conn your younger siblings into something so you can use it?

96Prix
01-20-2009, 05:20 AM
Wow, I dig those. Very nice. That was another car I considered before the G8. Most of my driving is done between home and work, but with the G8 I could add family road trips to the list. Would have been too tight in the SS. More of a bonus than a necessity, but the wife was on board with the G8. The SS, I would have had to work some magic. Keep us posted on that thing!

Got 8?
01-20-2009, 07:01 PM
Wow, I dig those. Very nice. That was another car I considered before the G8. Most of my driving is done between home and work, but with the G8 I could add family road trips to the list. Would have been too tight in the SS. More of a bonus than a necessity, but the wife was on board with the G8. The SS, I would have had to work some magic. Keep us posted on that thing!

You made the right choice, that was the final factor in me wanting to trade for the 8...no room w/ my daughter growing up in the back seat and no having to pull the front all the way up to let someone into the back either...Really the only thing I miss about it was the instantaneous acceleration from the supercharger for passing slower traffic...the G8 has to either think about it and once it does it seems to over-do it...LOL