PDA

View Full Version : crazy question about a burnout WITH mt et drag radials

zosoboogie
01-16-2009, 11:27 PM
To all to read this thread a forewarning I might of just came from a movie theater and had a few (too many beers) BUT:
I HAD A VISION!!!!

After watching the Fast N Furious 4 preview and seeing the Grand national do a burnout where he threw it in a low gear (1st I think, this theater serves beer) and while his left foot was on the brake and his right on the acceleration pedal all while doing a burnout he shifted up to 2nd then 3rd then so on and so forth all while doing a burnout. Its were that hot brunette is yelling at him and the cheesy graphics come in etc..

see the video here:
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/BRAND-NEW-Fast-and_283389.htm?Ref=Blog

Anyway where I am going with this is when I am most defiantly sober and at the track when it's not to cold with my rims from a old model ZR1 with Mickey Thompson et street tire, can I do the same:::::

get in the wet area where you warm up the tires (the burn out area) put the shifter in manual mode and with the left foot on the brake and the right on that longer pedal (gas if I am not mistaken, jk) do a burn out and then up shift to 2nd and 3rd to (this is the important part) GET the drag radials to operation temperature!!

Now can this happen or is it "the movies," please be nice first time with drag radials, my visions are in fact .....visions, and, and, and well that's it!!
:cheers::cheers: :drunk: :drunk: :cheers::cheers:

nathan600r
01-16-2009, 11:52 PM
Sounds a hell of a way to ruin your transmission if it's even possible only one way to find out....any volunteers?

GeorgeInNePa
01-16-2009, 11:55 PM
Wow, I can't wait until that gets to StarzHD!!!

Maybe we can get to see a smokey burnout/wheels in the air launch, like the first movie. :rolleyes:

;)

Serious now.

I would think that a good 2nd gear burnout would be fine.

TomPierce
01-17-2009, 04:04 AM
You are correct - this is the way it is normally done.

reset the side view mirrors so you can see the wheel arches
Turn off the traction control
drive around the water to keep the front wheels dry
back rear wheels into the water - open the drivers door and look behind you to make sure
pull forward out of the water puddle (unless you just want to throw water all over the car behind you and piss off the track personnel)
shifter in manual 1st
press the brake and then the throttle
once the wheels start spinning and the RPMs come up then
shift to manual 2nd
check the rear view mirrors to make sure both wheels are spinning
Drag radials need a good 5 seconds minimum burnout to come up to operating temp
when you are finished EASE OFF the throttle
shift to sport mode (or whatever you are going to run in)
stage and aim the pointy end down the track
wait for the third yellow

this won't bother the transmission at all - it can't tell the difference between a burnout and a high speed run (in fact, the burnout is less stress on the tranny than a drag strip launch)

The rear brakes, on the other hand, really really hate burnouts.

GRRRR8
01-17-2009, 05:54 AM
Tom is correct, if you have 500 plus HP you may do a 3rd-4th gear burnout. I did 3rd gear burnouts in my Mustang. The higher MPH puts more heat in the tire.

99-LS1-SS
01-17-2009, 05:57 AM
I know when I had my Camaro I usually got the tires spinning in first and shifted to second and did the burnout there.

GRRRR8
01-17-2009, 06:04 AM
Gear ratio, stall, tire and height all have a lot to do with it also.

cobrakid
01-17-2009, 08:03 AM
....in our dumber days, we used to speed shift stick cars while doing burnouts....... LOL

hard to do, but impressive and prolly hard on stuff!

Robert@KBXPerformance
01-17-2009, 08:34 AM
I do all my staging burnouts in second gear with the G8. As long as your in the water box you can even just start out in 2nd gear manual mode so you don't have to shift.

Make sure to continue the burnout while exiting the water box otherwise you will allow water to collect back onto your tires and drag it forward. Makes for an unsafe launch for you and the few guys behind you as well.

zosoboogie
01-17-2009, 12:06 PM
You are correct - this is the way it is normally done.

reset the side view mirrors so you can see the wheel arches
Turn off the traction control
drive around the water to keep the front wheels dry
back rear wheels into the water - open the drivers door and look behind you to make sure
pull forward out of the water puddle (unless you just want to throw water all over the car behind you and piss off the track personnel)
shifter in manual 1st
press the brake and then the throttle
once the wheels start spinning and the RPMs come up then
shift to manual 2nd
check the rear view mirrors to make sure both wheels are spinning
Drag radials need a good 5 seconds minimum burnout to come up to operating temp
when you are finished EASE OFF the throttle
shift to sport mode (or whatever you are going to run in)
stage and aim the pointy end down the track
wait for the third yellow

this won't bother the transmission at all - it can't tell the difference between a burnout and a high speed run (in fact, the burnout is less stress on the tranny than a drag strip launch)

Thanks I will print that out!!!
But do you start the burnout in the water box or do you get the tires wet them exit the water box and do the burnout? Before I would do the entire burnout the the water box with street tires the while the tires are spinning exit the water box!!

zosoboogie
01-17-2009, 12:07 PM
Also another question I have is for the MT et street drag radials how long should I do the burnout for?????

Ktlplxm
01-17-2009, 12:43 PM
Turn the tires over in the water box, pull forward, and then do the burn out. Otherwise you sling water in the wheel well

Ktlplxm
01-17-2009, 12:45 PM
Trial and error on the time. A guy from NJ who was the Drag Radial champ in the NMRA for a while (Big Daddy Guthridge) tol me to get them 10-15 degrees above the track-ground temp. Of course I'm never standing outside the car with a temp gun so...

zosoboogie
01-17-2009, 01:02 PM
How long do drag radials last?

Ktlplxm
01-17-2009, 01:07 PM
Depends on the Driver and brand. ON average MT=2000 (daily driving) BFG=2000 (if it doesn't rain) Nitto 12000 but not as sticky

Robert@KBXPerformance
01-17-2009, 01:21 PM
Of course I'm never standing outside the car with a temp gun so...

Have a friend shoot the tire right after you do the burnout and record how long it took to get to proper temp.

Robert@KBXPerformance
01-17-2009, 01:24 PM
How long do drag radials last?

This is very very dependent on driving habits, the manufacturer and the tire compound, model of tire, how often you go to the track and I could go on and on. There really is no average because it all depends on many more factors that come into play than a regular street tire on a street driven vehicle with a normal driver. Some will use them in ways that they will not last barely 1,000 miles while others will make them last quite a long while. I understand that it is not the answer you are looking for but there really isn't any definitive answer to your question.

Ktlplxm
01-17-2009, 01:31 PM
Have a friend shoot the tire right after you do the burnout and record how long it took to get to proper temp.

I was making a joke... most people after time get a feel for their car so they know when to stop. Plus if its a money race and you're playing the dumb guy who doesn't know his car, a friend with a temp gun throws a few flags lol

PontiacDan
01-17-2009, 01:55 PM
In the stang, just a simple 2nd gear -15 to 20sec burnout at 12psi worked best for me. There was a guy with a stalled/gutted GTO who done a 45sec john-force style burnout. I cut consistant 1.6 while he cut consistant 1.7 sixty foot times. Everycar is setup and behaves a little different. I launched my car at 4500rpm too btw, no slippage

Robert@KBXPerformance
01-17-2009, 02:11 PM
a friend with a temp gun throws a few flags lol

Hehe. Well don't hold it at arms length and announce that you are shooting the tires. There are ways to be discreet even while operating while all eyes are upon you.

Ktlplxm
01-17-2009, 02:12 PM
Hehe. Well don't hold it at arms length and announce that you are shooting the tires. There are ways to be discreet even while operating while all eyes are upon you.

True lol But its easier just to know the car!!

CanadianEh
01-17-2009, 02:24 PM
Just get the tires wet, exit the water then do your burnout... otherwise you spin water on the guy thats lining up behind you :spank: Once your tires are wet staying in the water to begin the burnout gains nothing.

zosoboogie
01-17-2009, 02:42 PM
when would i know that the drag radials are done because I put them on at my house and drive on them to the track which mean I drive them on the highway!! Its like 35 miles away!!

GeorgeInNePa
01-17-2009, 03:50 PM
when would i know that the drag radials are done because I put them on at my house and drive on them to the track which mean I drive them on the highway!! Its like 35 miles away!!

They have grooves, like every other tire. Even slicks have little holes in the tread, so you can measure tread depth.

When they are bald...

zosoboogie
01-17-2009, 04:43 PM
shit, I knew that!!

Tate
01-17-2009, 08:38 PM
Anyone find a good DR for the stock 19's yet?
Tate

Robert@KBXPerformance
01-17-2009, 08:59 PM
True lol But its easier just to know the car!!

Actual tire temp readings are more precise. I guess it is all dependent on how important the race is and the feasibility of getting those readings at the time.

Just get the tires wet, exit the water then do your burnout... otherwise you spin water on the guy thats lining up behind you :spank: Once your tires are wet staying in the water to begin the burnout gains nothing.

What kind of small track do you go to? If you are able to sling water onto the guy behind you then they are waaaaaay too damn close anyways. hehehe.

Also if the track crew is doing their job then the water box will not be dripping wet anyways. The tires should not pick up much water. They especially will not retain much, if any, after a proper burnout.

-Ray-
01-18-2009, 03:36 AM
Anyone find a good DR for the stock 19's yet?
Tate

The long answer? No.

Blackdevil77
01-18-2009, 10:03 AM

Wouldn't it be cool if someone made a mechanism were when you hit the brakes, then the gas, the pushing of the gas pedal at the same time as the brakes would release the rear brakes only and therefore no stress on rear brakes and a perfect burnout.

CanadianEh
01-18-2009, 10:29 AM
What kind of small track do you go to? If you are able to sling water onto the guy behind you then they are waaaaaay too damn close anyways. hehehe.

Also if the track crew is doing their job then the water box will not be dripping wet anyways. The tires should not pick up much water. They especially will not retain much, if any, after a proper burnout.

The only track in my province in 2 and a half hours away and its small. There is no grand stands or anything.. just a tree and an old airport runway. haha it is a shit box.:puke:

But its better then nothing

But I do wish we had something better around here.. and a road track would be nice

TomPierce
01-18-2009, 10:29 AM
Wouldn't it be cool if someone made a mechanism were when you hit the brakes, then the gas, the pushing of the gas pedal at the same time as the brakes would release the rear brakes only and therefore no stress on rear brakes and a perfect burnout.

It's called a line lock.

While it does not work as you imagine, it is a solenoid that allows you to hold brake pressure in the front bakes while there is no pressure on the rear brakes. Makes burnouts much easier on the brakes.

And you can use it to hold yourself Staged while you take all of the slack out of the drivetrain. Makes launches easier on the drivetrain as well.

Unfortunately, the G8 would need 2 - 1 for each front brake line because of the way they are made.

GeorgeInNePa
01-18-2009, 10:33 AM

lol

"line-lock"

"roll-control"

Press the brake pedal, flip a switch, release the brake pedal, do your burn-out and flip the switch to off.

http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=2102&highlight=line+lock

http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=1479&highlight=line+lock

Featherburner
01-18-2009, 11:51 AM
Unfortunately, the G8 would need 2 - 1 for each front brake line because of the way they are made.It wouldn't need two. You would install it before the ABS unit and supply pressure to both lines at once.