PDA

View Full Version : Kooks install went very smooth!

bubblyjock
01-16-2009, 09:22 PM
I called my friend who's dad has a performance shop last week and asked if this weekend we could put my headers on and he said that would be a go. So today I got a little impatient and called him at lunch and said that we should do the install tonight just in case we get a lil crazy at the bars tonight, I really don't want to get up early on a Saturday if I don't have to. So he said sure that he would call me after work. Well he got off a little early around 5, came to my house with his truck and picked up the two Kooks boxes and we headed to the shop. Well needless to say we pulled her on the lift at 5:30 and I backed her off the lift at around 7:55:woohoo:. He and I both looked at each other after we were done and said that was the easiest header/exhaust install we had done, he said putting the exhaust on his Duramax was 10x harder and took about 30 minutes longer. We pretty much had a system going, he and my other friend work under the car while I work in the engine bay (the lift really made this a simple install.) Really the only difficulties that I ran into was the back passenger spark plug and manifold bolt and header bolt, and the driver side back manifold bolt. Those were not really hard, just took patients and some scratched arms. The one thing I wanted to ask was what other header guys torqued their spark plugs and header bolts to. His dad was giving us insight but just wanted to check with some other professionals!! Oh and just wanted to make sure its normal for a little bit of burn off on the initial start up from the headers? My friend and his dad said it was normal procedure but again just wanted to check. Now all I have to do is decide on a set of aftermarket axle backs, just too quiet for a car with headers IMO. Now next on the list is a torque converter then a Magnacharger!! I just want to thank you guys for all you do, if it wasn't for car forums then I don't think I would be as much into modding as I am!!

-Ray-
01-17-2009, 04:53 AM
I believe the header bolt torque is 15 ft lbs.

Exhaust manifold bolts 1st pass 11 ft lbs
Exhaust manifold bolts 2nd pass 15 ft lbs

GRRRR8
01-17-2009, 05:12 AM
Congrats on the install!

johnh
01-17-2009, 06:17 AM
a little bit of burn off on the initial start up from the headers

Usually, there's a bit of oil type residue from manufacturing process that gets burned away. Not sure if that's true with these headers, but it was for others.

Andy@Livernois
01-17-2009, 06:17 AM
it is definitely normal to have alot of smoke after install... There is usually a coating on the headers from being bent that burns off over time...

Kermit
01-17-2009, 12:34 PM
My car smoked for about 5-10 minutes after first start up. As for the torque, I never really put a torque wrench on them. Just went by feel. Hope they are still tight? Maybe I'll re-check them in the future. :)

wydopnthrtl
01-22-2009, 09:45 AM
Spark plugs (with tapered seats) in aluminum heads = 12ft lbs.

Rich