PDA

View Full Version : Time to clean throttle body, MAF and injectors?

Swiguy
04-18-2012, 09:33 AM
Hey folks,

Over the past few months my G8 has had a pretty rough idle at cold start. This lasts about 10 to 20 seconds and the lifters sound louder than normal ticking away... anyway, I've never cleaned the throttle body, MAF sensor or fuel injectors on this car and it has 60 000 km on it now. At first I was thinking to replace the spark plugs but I have a feeling my rough idle can be contributed to the above mentioned dirty components. I have an oil sprayed K&N CAI filter which has probably made the throttle body and MAF dirtier than the stock CAI would have.

Any tips on cleaning the throttle body and MAF on our cars? Is there a recommended product I should be looking for? Also, what fuel injector cleaner do you guys recommend?

grandprixrollsout
04-18-2012, 10:21 AM
went to crappy tire. got a MAF cleaner. Sprayed the crap out of the MAF unit. Then for TB i sprayed the crap out of it and used a toothbruth to clean the carbon build up. GM has a techron based cleaner from Chevron. I used that on my last tank and it restored my mileage (about 7-9% gain).

BLKG8
04-18-2012, 10:27 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPT8rL0noYg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Swiguy
04-18-2012, 11:00 AM
went to crappy tire. got a MAF cleaner. Sprayed the crap out of the MAF unit. Then for TB i sprayed the crap out of it and used a toothbruth to clean the carbon build up. GM has a techron based cleaner from Chevron. I used that on my last tank and it restored my mileage (about 7-9% gain).

Did you take the TB right out or clean it attached to the engine still? I was thinking of buying the Gunk MAF cleaner at Crappy Tire, guess you can use it on the MAF and TB. I'll try the Chevron fuel injector cleaner as well... I figure these should all correct the idle issue...

Swiguy
04-18-2012, 12:22 PM
I just headed over to my local NAPA auto parts store on my lunch break... I bought some Lucas fuel injector cleaner as per the recommendation of the NAPA sales guy. I also picked up some CRC TB cleaner and MAF cleaner. Anything else I should be doing to give my engine a spring cleaning?? Oh, I'm also going to clean my air filter when I do the TB and MAF cleaning.

Maybe I should invest in a catch can? Seems to be a popular mod for our cars...

Napalm
04-19-2012, 07:47 AM
I used that CRC stuff on my MAF right after I bought the car. Take maf out. much easier and safer. Takes like 10 minutes.

On the TB - I haven't done mine yet as I don't want to force the flap. I think you can pull the motor. I need to do it soon.

Swiguy
04-20-2012, 07:59 AM
I used that CRC stuff on my MAF right after I bought the car. Take maf out. much easier and safer. Takes like 10 minutes.

On the TB - I haven't done mine yet as I don't want to force the flap. I think you can pull the motor. I need to do it soon.

I have the updated MAF that comes with the HSRK and it's really close to my oiled air filter so I'm guessing it's due for a cleaning. Any tips on cleaning the TB? I've heard horror stories on forcing the flap on the TB and causing some throttle issues.

stephen4036
04-20-2012, 09:05 AM
never hurts to clean something that runs air and fuel thought it.

greggy
04-20-2012, 09:22 AM
Turn ignition on, do not start engine.
Press gas pedal to open tb.
Clean tb.

Do not push tb flap open by hand.

Swiguy
04-24-2012, 09:26 AM
Turn ignition on, do not start engine.
Press gas pedal to open tb.
Clean tb.

Do not push tb flap open by hand.

Good to know, never cleaned a TB before so thanks for the tip.

Napalm
04-25-2012, 07:04 AM
Updated MAF? How do you know? I have a HSRK as well but mine was nothing more than a new cable with y that went to a new temp sensor?

Also on the TB - do you hold the pedal down? sounds a bit dangerous.

Swiguy
04-25-2012, 10:37 AM
Sorry, that's what I meant, I clean my temp sensor (the one that came with the HSRK) and MAF sensor with MAF cleaner.

BLKG8
04-25-2012, 12:00 PM
Iv cleaned the throttle body two times now. I just removed it and opened the flap with my hand and cleaned it. Didnt have any problems.
Wasnt much to clean .....

Napalm
04-25-2012, 12:54 PM
So you took the TB off the car - did you also remove the motor off of the TB?

BLKG8
04-25-2012, 06:33 PM
So you took the TB off the car - did you also remove the motor off of the TB?

Took the TB off. Didnt remove the motor off the TB.
I was cleaning as much as i could of the intake system.