PDA

View Full Version : 09 G8 GT 23,700 Maintenance Questions

muller817
04-13-2012, 08:40 PM
I purchased my 09 GT a few weeks ago and it is currently sitting at 23,700. I was wondering if there is anything I should check right away or any fluids that could be in need of changing. There was a service sticker in the window that said the next oil change was at 25,xxx. I also checked the oil life monitor and it was at 88%. I do plan on changing the oil around 25,xxx to synthetic but was wondering which synthetic I should go with? I plan on staying NA but will do the normal mods (CAI, headers, exhaust, little port work). Would a catch can be worth it in my situation? Also would the deeper camaro ss tranny pan be a good idea when it comes to changing the tranny fluid? Thanks for all the advice and help :thumbsup:

rjones916
04-14-2012, 12:16 PM
No real maintenance needed at that mileage, just check the 2 filters to see if they are dirty, cabin and engine air. If your putting a CAI on it anyway, no sense in replacing the engine air filter... The deeper trans pan is a good idea if you were gonna do that trans fluid/filter anyway, but not really needed yet, more so around 40-50,000 miles. I was getting a lot of oil inside my stock intake manifold that I noticed when I switched to the F.A.S.T, thats why I got a catch-can, couldn't hurt.

Crazy Paul
04-14-2012, 01:18 PM
Cabin filters GM#92184248 (below the windshield in the cowl area) are on a Forum special right now US$33ea shipped. Changing one is a DIY job. There's pictorial guidance threads on here.

If you find a friendly dealership (or even some people on here can help), give them your VIN and find out the service and repair history of your car. Such things as front suspension lower control arms are almost a regular replacement item. There's a kit of all 4 arms with fasteners GM#92249538 for just under US$230. If you find yours have never been changed then it may be a worthwhile investment (before someone decides to jack the price) to grab a set and put them in storage.
[Current GM price in USA is way below the kit or shipping price from Australia.]

Also putting your Location in your profile below Join Date helps members and vendors give you more accurate responses.

muller817
04-16-2012, 07:49 PM
No real maintenance needed at that mileage, just check the 2 filters to see if they are dirty, cabin and engine air. If your putting a CAI on it anyway, no sense in replacing the engine air filter... The deeper trans pan is a good idea if you were gonna do that trans fluid/filter anyway, but not really needed yet, more so around 40-50,000 miles. I was getting a lot of oil inside my stock intake manifold that I noticed when I switched to the F.A.S.T, thats why I got a catch-can, couldn't hurt.

I did already change my cabin air filter with one from CP...I posted some pics towards the end of the group buy thread...it was pretty bad and had a weird/musty smell to it...I think the next mod will be a catch can as it is a simple mod and is definitely not going to hurt anything!

Cabin filters GM#92184248 (below the windshield in the cowl area) are on a Forum special right now US$33ea shipped. Changing one is a DIY job. There's pictorial guidance threads on here.

If you find a friendly dealership (or even some people on here can help), give them your VIN and find out the service and repair history of your car. Such things as front suspension lower control arms are almost a regular replacement item. There's a kit of all 4 arms with fasteners GM#92249538 for just under US$230. If you find yours have never been changed then it may be a worthwhile investment (before someone decides to jack the price) to grab a set and put them in storage.
[Current GM price in USA is way below the kit or shipping price from Australia.]

Also putting your Location in your profile below Join Date helps members and vendors give you more accurate responses.

I did already get a history report and seen that the LCAs were not replaced...the only thing that was done was the airbag recall and the brake lights staying on...I have wondered about the LCAs but is there an aftermarket setup (BMR, Peddders) that would be better than stock? I am not good with suspension at all so thanks for the help!!

codebro
11-16-2012, 04:43 PM
I did already change my cabin air filter with one from CP...I posted some pics towards the end of the group buy thread...it was pretty bad and had a weird/musty smell to it...I think the next mod will be a catch can as it is a simple mod and is definitely not going to hurt anything!

I did already get a history report and seen that the LCAs were not replaced...the only thing that was done was the airbag recall and the brake lights staying on...I have wondered about the LCAs but is there an aftermarket setup (BMR, Peddders) that would be better than stock? I am not good with suspension at all so thanks for the help!!

I know this thread is a little old but I'm in the same boat as you. I just got my G8 in September and already hear a clank after going from reverse to drive. I'm not sure if it's my LCA's yet though.

Pedders does have the front LCA's for about $1000. There's also much cheaper newer OEM front LCA's available, and you can swap out the bushings with BMR/Pedders ones if you wanted to. They are under $300 for both sides I think.

I have a couple of questions though. If I have the original OEM front LCA's, could I just swap out the bushings? Or do I need to replace the entire LCA units for some reason?