PDA

View Full Version : Intense Level 1 vs. Vector Package

SpectreG8GT
01-16-2009, 11:53 AM
Can anybody compare the Intense Level 1 pacage to the Vector tune and CAI package?

Both use the Roto-fab intake, and both claim similar HP gains. Is the Vector tune worth the $150 more that it costs over the Intense package?

If all you have installed are either package, what have you dynoed your car at and/or what kind of 1/4 mile and 0-60 times are you seeing?

TheTugBoat
01-16-2009, 11:57 AM
gonna say one thing...

VECTOR

wreckwriter
01-16-2009, 12:00 PM
gonna say one thing...

VECTOR

+1

G8GT594
01-16-2009, 12:02 PM
Can anybody compare the Intense Level 1 pacage to the Vector tune and CAI package?

Both use the Roto-fab intake, and both claim similar HP gains. Is the Vector tune worth the $150 more that it costs over the Intense package?

If all you have installed are either package, what have you dynoed your car at and/or what kind of 1/4 mile and 0-60 times are you seeing?

If those are your only 2 options then VMS for sure.

SpectreG8GT
01-16-2009, 12:05 PM
Ok, that's three people saying Vector, but so far none has given a reason.

WHY Vector?

wreckwriter
01-16-2009, 12:07 PM
Because we know and trust Kirk and because Vector has worked on hundreds of G8s with great success.

jbradsh1
01-16-2009, 12:23 PM
Well, I'll put it this way. I drove from Lexington, KY up to VMS in the northern Detroit area. It's almost 400 miles. I don't worry about the tune being off or too high strung. I believe VMS has a very well developed tune that is very safe to run in your car so the drive up there was worth it to me.

Chewy
01-16-2009, 12:24 PM
There's a GOOD reason why Intense hasn't been asked to come here and participate as a vendor...

I've heard the stories... Not first hand mind you.

SpectreG8GT
01-16-2009, 12:30 PM
There's a GOOD reason why Intense hasn't been asked to come here and participate as a vendor...

I've heard the stories... Not first hand mind you.

I'm familiar with Intense from being a long time Grand Prix owner. I still have full confidence in their ability to produce power.

GRRRR8
01-16-2009, 12:31 PM
I can use anybody to tune my car I want and I chose Vector. Their knowledge of the transmission tuning is far superior to the other company listed.

SpectreG8GT
01-16-2009, 12:36 PM
so has nobody here actually used the Intense tune?

SRG963
01-16-2009, 12:38 PM
so has nobody here actually used the Intense tune?

We don't allow those types :qf: ROFLMAO

Ever thought about HP Tuners? You could do it yourself :)

If you plan on modding a lot and want the most out of your car, get a dyno tune.

From what I've read, Vector will tune long distance with the FXP on a dyno of your choosing.

GeorgeInNePa
01-16-2009, 12:45 PM
Ok, that's three people saying Vector, but so far none has given a reason.

WHY Vector?

Vector's TCM tune is worth the extra money, especially since that tune can't be done by Intense unless you go to their shop.

With Vector, you use their FXP cables and e-mail to tune your trans computer. Also, you can retune your ECM the same way.

Moving to the Tuning forum.

BlueJacket
01-16-2009, 12:48 PM
I'm familiar with Intense from being a long time Grand Prix owner. I still have full confidence in their ability to produce power.

As a GP owner should know all about the cars they have blown up over the years.

Go with Vector they have been doing LS engines for years unlike Intense that has been doing this for months.

Kermit
01-16-2009, 12:49 PM
From what I've read, Vector will tune long distance with the FXP on a dyno of your choosing.

Can you elaborate for me? What is "FXP"? I plan on doing a dyno tune when I get an intake and the shop say's they tune with HP tuners stuff. Are you implying that I could maybe do a Vector tune instead?

SRG963
01-16-2009, 01:02 PM
Flash Express

You can run the dyno, email the files to Kirk, him tweak the tune, email them back and upload them then re-dyno for best results.

Seems that Kirk has a handle on these cars. I'd like to compare to what I've got now.

Chewy
01-16-2009, 01:20 PM
Yep I heard about ALL the GP issues and wouldn't go down that road.

Vector IMO and from what I have read here and at other forums has the best trans tune. I wanted safe but fast. I went with Vector.

NOW... Livernois, and NEP could work on my stuff ANY DAY! They too have a great history.

Chris

SpectreG8GT
01-16-2009, 01:24 PM
So is the only reason for all the Intense hate the perceived issues they have in the 3800 world?

because that just sounds like a load of crap to me.

I want numbers, experience, real data. I guess that's not gonna happen here.

mods, plz close

Chewy
01-16-2009, 01:26 PM
So is the only reason for all the Intense hate the perceived issues they have in the 3800 world?

mods, plz close

Then ASK for it...

I'm not an Intense hater! I just wanted to warn you of their past. NOW it seems like you know and like them. So lets move on and give you Vector numbers....

-Ray-
01-16-2009, 01:28 PM

mods, plz close

If you don't like the answers don't ask the questions. Vector did my tuning.
Try and find someone with an Intense tune here is going to be difficult. We have 6 or 7 quality tuners as vendors and Intense isn't one of them.
Go get your car tuned there and bring back your results.
BTW, I didn't see any hate. You obviously have some sort of attachment there.

SpectreG8GT
01-16-2009, 01:31 PM
so somebody give me vector numbers, I'll have to get Intense numbers from them I guess.

and it has nothing to do with liking Intense. I couldn't care one way or the other. But I don't believe for a second that their tune is gonna make my engine magically blow up any more than the Vector tune will.

What are the specific advantages to the Vector tune that would justify spending the extra $150?

Chewy
01-16-2009, 01:31 PM
Can you adjust your TM settings?

I can in 5 min :nah: ROFLMAO

I don't have too. I have them set the way I wanted them...

75% on the drive mode and 30% on the sport mode.

PERFECT for me.

If I could change them to something it would be lower which would cause issues with the trans in the long run IMO. So better to just have it this way.

Chris

GeorgeInNePa
01-16-2009, 01:32 PM

mods, plz close

What numbers do you want?

Your question has been here for a total of an hour and a half. Even if someone here has their tune, they probably haven't seen your post.

VMS was one of the first companies to tune the G8, hence they have a large following.

You want numbers? I have many DashHawk 0-60 times that are sub 4 seconds. I have 1/4 mile timeslips that are in the 12s. 12.56 & 12.64 (both drag radials) and 12.84(street tires) with the mods in my sig.

I KNOW VMS can tune the ECM and more importantly, the TCM.

The biggest difference, as I said above, is that Intense can't do a long distance TCM tune, so unless you are prepared to go to them, you aren't getting your TCM tuned by them.

Chewy
01-16-2009, 01:35 PM
so somebody give me vector numbers, I'll have to get Intense numbers from them I guess.

and it has nothing to do with liking Intense. I couldn't care one way or the other. But I don't believe for a second that their tune is gonna make my engine magically blow up any more than the Vector tune will.

What are the specific advantages to the Vector tune that would justify spending the extra $150?

It's the time that Kirk and his team spent on the transmission. They made a tune that's hard to beat for it and YOU can install it. He get's a good sum for it. Intense also came in late in the game and were able to beat Kirk's price because they aren't known. They don't have the reputation VMS has IMO so perhaps they are willing to sell it for a lesser sum to get their name out there. It may be the best tune out there. Hard to tell really unless you take one car and put VMS's on it and then wipe it and put Intenses on it.

For the money Intenses is a good tune for sure, but is it safe? Kirk has made it VERY clear from the beginning that he can produce more power and such but at the exspence of the trans or engine. Kirk WILL do what ever you want (within reason) or course. Or at least I get that perception.

Chris

SpectreG8GT
01-16-2009, 01:45 PM
What does Vector do to the trans that is so special?

how does Vector do their tune that I can do it at home? I don't have any way to connect to my car.

GeorgeInNePa
01-16-2009, 01:48 PM
What does Vector do to the trans that is so special?

how does Vector do their tune that I can do it at home? I don't have any way to connect to my car.

Go here to read about their FlashXpress system.

http://www.vectormotorsports.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=61&category_id=40&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=28

The trans tune is just as important as the ECM tune, perhaps moreso if your car is mostly stock. The TCM tune will quicken up the shifts and remove the "stumble" that the stock tune has.

Chewy
01-16-2009, 02:07 PM
ALSO! Vector can do a STEALTH tune which means that your dealer can't see them... :woohoo: It DOES cost extra though.

Chris

SRG963
01-16-2009, 02:17 PM
ALSO! Vector can do a STEALTH tune which means that your dealer can't see them... :woohoo: It DOES cost extra though.

Chris

Get the Stealth tune or they can see it :)

I can bring it to brian to clear the code's and that's it. Would that show up as performance tune? Unfortunately the dealer knows about all tunes. He let me see the computer screen and up popped past uploads from hp tuners and guess what, file from VMS!!! They can find it all now.

Copied from http://www.forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?p=36758#post36758

GeorgeInNePa
01-16-2009, 02:23 PM
Mario didn't have a Stealth tune.

GTPprix
01-16-2009, 02:45 PM

LOLz tell that to the 40+ 2004 GTP owners who blew thier engines up because they didnt know what they were doing LOL

As far as the dealer seeing, for one there is no screen for the E38 that shows previous uploads only current and if he had a stealth tune it would show 100% stock.

96Prix
01-16-2009, 04:25 PM
I had an Intense PCM in my 97 GTP for a while. Made plenty of power, but some Autotap scans indicated that it was running very lean. The transmission was shifting too hard for my liking too. It was great at first, but it started to feel like I was driving a time bomb after seeing those numbers.

I originally bought it because the price was well below the DHP PCM. I swapped to a DHP when they offered a very gratious $25 upgrade to their product to anyone who had an Intense unit after a rash of problems in the community.

The DHP driveability was much better and gave me no problems in the ~40,000 I owned it. It was clearly a better product.

Bottom line is this: buy the proven product, the most important feature is usually piece of mind.

CanadianEh
01-16-2009, 04:48 PM
Cheaper is not always better you get what you pay for. Vector is 150$ more but you don't need to leave your house so you save gas money, also their TCM tune is top notch. On top of that if you modify your car in any way all you have to do is rent the Flash Express again for 50$ and Kirk will re tune your car.

GRRRR8
01-16-2009, 04:54 PM
I will put it like this, if I wasnt going to use Vector, Intense would be way down on the list of tuners I would use. There are other tuners that have a LOT more experience then Intense on the G8s. Experience is what tuning is all about in the first place.

-Ray-
01-16-2009, 04:55 PM
In the end, this just means more business for Vector. Why does everyone always pit a tuner against Vector anyway?
:)

GRRRR8
01-16-2009, 04:58 PM
In the end, this just means more business for Vector. Why does everyone always pit a tuner against Vector anyway?
:)

That really sums it up right there!

Chewy
01-17-2009, 06:21 AM
that really sums it up right there!

agreed!:)

Slizzo
01-17-2009, 08:02 AM
I had an Intense PCM in my 97 GTP for a while. Made plenty of power, but some Autotap scans indicated that it was running very lean. The transmission was shifting too hard for my liking too. It was great at first, but it started to feel like I was driving a time bomb after seeing those numbers.

I originally bought it because the price was well below the DHP PCM. I swapped to a DHP when they offered a very gratious $25 upgrade to their product to anyone who had an Intense unit after a rash of problems in the community.

The DHP driveability was much better and gave me no problems in the ~40,000 I owned it. It was clearly a better product.

Bottom line is this: buy the proven product, the most important feature is usually piece of mind.

I heard all the bad things about Intense stuff as well. I went straight to a used DHP PCM that I bought off of Ebay the 2nd or 3rd day I owned my 99. :)

jbradsh1
01-17-2009, 08:48 AM

I wouldn't advise playing it cheap when it comes to tuning your car. You want a tune that is well done and won't affect the longevity of the motor or trans.

But in case you do (play it cheap), let us know when she blows, just kidding, I couldn't help it.

Darkside
01-17-2009, 10:46 AM
Is a bad past enough reason to not use a tuners current tune? Absolutely! You're driving a big investment and deserve the best possible with your money.

The reason I don't have first hand (as in my cars) experience with the other company is because I knew enough behind the scenes. Personally knowing Big Jeff and knowing that there was a serious problem with the LSD's. The company still sold them to make a profit. Bad enough that it caused a split in ownership. My brother did have one in his car that went boom-boom.

My car would remain stock before they tuned it, and that is saying ALOT.

MtbDoc
01-17-2009, 11:24 AM
I have had similar questions, and quite honestly, even THIS board sounds like an infomercial for Vector. I have NOTHING against them, and could potentially use their services. But my frustration w/ the G8 community (particularly the OTHER board) has been the total "fan-boism" around certain products or vendors. I am NOT saying the Vector may not be the best thing since sliced bread, but the reality is that no one has actually done any real back-to-back examination of tunes. I'm not saying that it is even practical to do so.

But what happens is that someone buys a product (tune, exhaust, floormats, whatever) and THAT usually becomes the BEST THING OUT THERE unless there are major problems. We all want to believe that we spent the money on the best product. We then encourage others to do so (which makes us feel better about our purchase). Human nature...

OBJECTIVE data is really hard to come by. As an example, Pedders is the ULTIMATE around here, but not necessarily in Australia. They have made an investment in bringing product over, and so we buy it. But we really don't know if some other pieces might be better. Again, I have BOUGHT Pedders suspension stuff, and I am quite excited about their new coilover. But are they BETTER than others? We really don't know...Same with so many other products.

Ahhh, I feel better. This board gives me a chance to say so. I would be banned on the other one (although I keep throwing the 'infomercial' word out).

GeorgeInNePa
01-17-2009, 11:52 AM
I have had similar questions, and quite honestly, even THIS board sounds like an infomercial for Vector. I have NOTHING against them, and could potentially use their services. But my frustration w/ the G8 community (particularly the OTHER board) has been the total "fan-boism" around certain products or vendors. I am NOT saying the Vector may not be the best thing since sliced bread, but the reality is that no one has actually done any real back-to-back examination of tunes. I'm not saying that it is even practical to do so.

But what happens is that someone buys a product (tune, exhaust, floormats, whatever) and THAT usually becomes the BEST THING OUT THERE unless there are major problems. We all want to believe that we spent the money on the best product. We then encourage others to do so (which makes us feel better about our purchase). Human nature...

OBJECTIVE data is really hard to come by. As an example, Pedders is the ULTIMATE around here, but not necessarily in Australia. They have made an investment in bringing product over, and so we buy it. But we really don't know if some other pieces might be better. Again, I have BOUGHT Pedders suspension stuff, and I am quite excited about their new coilover. But are they BETTER than others? We really don't know...Same with so many other products.

Ahhh, I feel better. This board gives me a chance to say so. I would be banned on the other one (although I keep throwing the 'infomercial' word out).

I've seen this argument before and I have to ask, "What would you have the rest of us do?".

People ask for opinions, and we give it. If we thought other tunes were better, we would buy the other tune, not the one we have.

It almost seems like some get aggravated when the answer doesn't get answered the way they want it. If you (not you, I mean everyone) thinks another tune (or whatever) is better, buy that one. YOU buy the unpopular/unknown product.

Maybe the rest of us are wrong, but we have what we have and are happy with it. Otherwise we would have something else.

GRRRR8
01-17-2009, 12:00 PM
Agreed, BUT comparisons have been done where people have tried Intense and now they use Vector. I think all the HYPE comes from the fact that Vector is the only tune available via a flashing sysytem that can be updated and tuned by Kirk from afar. Yes I use Vector, but I have 2 ecms and HP Tuners 2.2 brand new in the box. Even though I have a lot of tuning experience, not with HP Tuners, I didnt want to take a chance on learning on a new car, plus the fact that in May, Vector was the only one that went as far with the transmission as they do. Tuners I would recommend: New Era, Livernois, Carolina Auto Masters, Matt @ Tune Time, Alvin @ PCMFORLESS. However, other then Alvin, which uses HP Tuners, Vector is still teh only one that can tune via flash. I think its just comparing apples to apples and not thinking a tune is a tune. Some people are not close to dyno tuners nor have the time, which makes Vector the ONLY option.

p71
01-17-2009, 12:59 PM
Going with Livernois.

Totally not relevant but hey.

Chewy
01-17-2009, 01:29 PM
That was my issue Charlie, While I AM close to a tuner I am not impressed in their skills with the 6L80E trans. My goal this summer is to take a short trip to MI to see Kirk and his team and have him dyno tune my car to get the most out of it.

For now... I am VERY happy with the tunes I got from Vector.

Chris

MtbDoc
01-17-2009, 01:55 PM
I've seen this argument before and I have to ask, "What would you have the rest of us do?".

People ask for opinions, and we give it. If we thought other tunes were better, we would buy the other tune, not the one we have.

It almost seems like some get aggravated when the answer doesn't get answered the way they want it. If you (not you, I mean everyone) thinks another tune (or whatever) is better, buy that one. YOU buy the unpopular/unknown product.

Maybe the rest of us are wrong, but we have what we have and are happy with it. Otherwise we would have something else.

Obviously you aren't paying attention: I said I might go with them as well. My comment was of a more general nature. I have NOT said that I believe someone else is doing a better job. It is simply the degree of 'bandwagonism' that I have seen in the G8 community outstrips what I have seen elsewhere. I suppose it is related to the short time that this car has been here AND the small numbers...but the GTO community didn't seem anywhere near like this in the early days.

Anyway...carry on! And honestly, the idea of a SOLID tune to reflash for SPECIFIC parts sounds good to me. New intakes, +/- headers, +/- cam...LOTS of possibilities out there.

And I have no clue about what people went through w/ Grand Prix's. Never understood the interest in those cars, anyway :).

-Ray-
01-17-2009, 02:06 PM
....and it always ends up like this. I've seen 5 or 6 threads like this. I'm obviously not going to apologize for having a Vector tune. I don't see myself as an infomercial either.
I had my previous car tuned by Vector as well, so I went with what worked before.

GeorgeInNePa
01-17-2009, 02:25 PM
....and it always ends up like this. I've seen 5 or 6 threads like this. I'm obviously not going to apologize for having a Vector tune. I don't see myself as an infomercial either.
I had my previous car tuned by Vector as well, so I went with what worked before.

+1

1- "I am happy with what I have, here's why..."

2- "But, But, But, what about X, that might be better, don't ya think, why don't you like that?"

1- "I said why I like this better"

2- "But, but, but, you should test this option, for me, also"

:rolleyes:

and I'm the one not paying attention

99-LS1-SS
01-17-2009, 04:01 PM
I don't know who is the best. I am trading work for a tune from a shop in Garner NC. They tuned my brother's Camaro and it's putting 502 rwhp down all motor. I trust my brother's opinion since he is just as, if not more, particular than I am.

GRRRR8
01-17-2009, 04:03 PM
LOL! I just dont understand how/why these threads on any site all end up the same. I think the phrase that fits best when comparing Vectors to others is: It is what it is.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
01-17-2009, 04:20 PM
And I have no clue about what people went through w/ Grand Prix's. Never understood the interest in those cars, anyway :).
I know of MANY Grand Prix GTP's that will smoke a G8. Don't underestimate the power of a blown V6, the 3800 is an awesome motor and it's very durable. I had 3 GTP's and they all pulled harder than a GTO up to about 60 mph, which makes it a great stoplight racer.

GXPaycheck
01-17-2009, 07:57 PM
I don't know who is the best. I am trading work for a tune from a shop in Garner NC. They tuned my brother's Camaro and it's putting 502 rwhp down all motor. I trust my brother's opinion since he is just as, if not more, particular than I am.

You going to RPM? They treated me right!

96Prix
01-18-2009, 07:29 AM

To each his own, but I wouldn't be in a G8 if it hadn't been for my 3 Grand Prixs that have all been dependable workhorses that fueled my modding bug on the cheap.

jbradsh1
01-18-2009, 05:50 PM
LOL! I just dont understand how/why these threads on any site all end up the same. I think the phrase that fits best when comparing Vectors to others is: It is what it is.

There is one other thing here too and that is that some people just have to learn the hard way. So, let 'em. They'll come around eventually.

G8GT594
01-18-2009, 08:29 PM
Going with Livernois.

Totally not relevant but hey.

Ha.

I agree with this one!

p71
01-19-2009, 06:22 AM
Ha.

I agree with this one!

Hey your car inspires me... plus i am a Wolverine at heart so...

Hopefully I put down 3 more hp an 2 more tq than you.

MtbDoc
01-19-2009, 06:34 PM
I know of MANY Grand Prix GTP's that will smoke a G8. Don't underestimate the power of a blown V6, the 3800 is an awesome motor and it's very durable. I had 3 GTP's and they all pulled harder than a GTO up to about 60 mph, which makes it a great stoplight racer.

Define "smoke" a G8. I would take this car out on real world roads against most STOCK cars I have ever driven (and I have been around performance cars for MANY years...and owned a bunch). Straight line stoplight racing? 60mph? I am talking about accelerating, braking, TURNING CORNERS, etc. My old Taurus SHO would destroy a stock GTP up in the twisty mountain roads.

GTO? Don't even get me started...

...anyway, back to your thread about Vector GTP tunes :wacko: Isn't that what we're talking about?

And, for full disclosure: http://forum.grrrr8.net/showpost.php?p=38500&postcount=8 See, I am considering purchasing tuning services (and parts) from these guys!

GTPprix
01-19-2009, 06:58 PM
Well my last GTP went 12.7's @115mph on 18" street tires and a race weight of 3775 lbs ;)

DRCUSTOMPARTS
01-19-2009, 07:07 PM
Doc I'm not talking about a stock GTP, I seen many of them turning low 11's. And a fully modded GTP would eat up a fully modded SHO Taurus, unless you put a blower or a turbo on the it, which I have never heard of anyone doing.

96Prix
01-19-2009, 08:08 PM
Doc I'm not talking about a stock GTP, I seen many of them turning low 11's. And a fully modded GTP would eat up a fully modded SHO Taurus, unless you put a blower or a turbo on the it, which I have never heard of anyone doing.

You've never heard of anyone with an FI SHO? I'm hoping you mean in person. Even then I'm a bit surprised.

I'm a huge GTP fan, but there isn't anything any of my GTP's did that the G8 doesn't do significantly better aside from the HUD and a few MPG. No need to get defensive, the GTP has always been a cult car. That's part of what drew me to it.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
01-19-2009, 09:43 PM
I'm only into GM cars, and occasionally those guys would talk about the SHO but not too often. Between making W-Body parts and keeping my Harley going, I don't read to much about other brands of cars.

MtbDoc
01-20-2009, 02:57 AM
Take an SHO and and virtually any stock GM product from the similar era, get out on a REAL road, and see what happens. Boost? Yeah, these engines could actually do quite a bit. A MARVELOUS piece of engineering by Yamaha, and a fairly well sorted out chassis by Ford. Now THAT was a cult car!

There is a LOT more to 4 wheel performance than stoplight racing or 1/4 mile runs. And it is that sort of performance that draws me to the Holdens.

Anyway, back on topic: as I noted, I am pleased that Vector has been playing around w/ the NEP OTR intake on the dyno. What I'd really like to know is how much in the tune is actually different from that required for other intakes. I realize that this IP won't be released w/ their locked up tune, but it's an intellectual question, not an economic one.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
01-20-2009, 03:54 AM
I don't why you think a Grand Prix doesn't handle well, maybe you never were in one that wasn't stock. With the CompG suspension package, HD rear trailing arms, and GM strut braces secured with my mounting brackets it handles fantastic!

Kirk@VectorMotorsports
01-20-2009, 06:56 AM
Anyway, back on topic: as I noted, I am pleased that Vector has been playing around w/ the NEP OTR intake on the dyno. What I'd really like to know is how much in the tune is actually different from that required for other intakes. I realize that this IP won't be released w/ their locked up tune, but it's an intellectual question, not an economic one.

Pretty big change in the MAF tables from the New Era. Other than that just some minor fueling changes.

BMan
01-20-2009, 07:18 PM
OK, back on topic:

Do you need a dynotune if you get headers, or does Kirk/Vector and a few of the other solid tuners have the "CAI, LT headers" tune pretty wired where you can still use the Flash Express system?

BTW, I live really close to Intense and will only say this - their primary dyno tuner seems like a good guy - he did my stock dyno pulls. Not saying anything about whether or not he is a good or bad tuner - just saying that Brian of Dynotune Motorsports (also does tuning for Intense) seemed like a good person. In fact, I'm sorta confused as to whether these two organizations (Dynotune Motorsports) and Intense are one in the same or separate.

It's tempting to be able to get a full-blown dynotune from a local source, but I'd be cool with the Vector flashexpress tune if Kirk has the header/CAI tune down pat.

GRRRR8
01-20-2009, 07:32 PM
Yes he has a tune for different CAIs, Headers, Converters etc

BlueJacket
01-20-2009, 07:37 PM
OK, back on topic:

Do you need a dynotune if you get headers, or does Kirk/Vector and a few of the other solid tuners have the "CAI, LT headers" tune pretty wired where you can still use the Flash Express system?

BTW, I live really close to Intense and will only say this - their primary dyno tuner seems like a good guy - he did my stock dyno pulls. Not saying anything about whether or not he is a good or bad tuner - just saying that Brian of Dynotune Motorsports (also does tuning for Intense) seemed like a good person. In fact, I'm sorta confused as to whether these two organizations (Dynotune Motorsports) and Intense are one in the same or separate.

It's tempting to be able to get a full-blown dynotune from a local source, but I'd be cool with the Vector flashexpress tune if Kirk has the header/CAI tune down pat.

They are not one in the same. What ever you do stay away from Intense unless you like having your hard earned money stolen away by Scott Cook.

GeorgeInNePa
01-20-2009, 07:41 PM
OK, back on topic:

I am running an "off the shelf" ECM tune for Roto Fab and headers in my car. Minor tweaks to the TCM tune for the converter.

Check my sig.

GTPprix
01-20-2009, 07:44 PM
stay away from Intense unless you like having your hard earned money stolen away by Scott Crook.

Fixed that for ya ;) Next time anyone goes to IMMENSE ask them where my $7000 is? ;)

BlueJacket
01-20-2009, 07:58 PM
Fixed that for ya ;) Next time anyone goes to IMMENSE ask them where my $7000 is? ;)

lol I had it that way to begin with then changed it back to cook.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
01-20-2009, 08:03 PM
LMAO @ Scott Crook

-Ray-
01-20-2009, 08:12 PM
I believe this started as a comparison thread. Lets try an get this back on topic.
My nice way of saying be careful. :)

BMan
01-20-2009, 08:13 PM
They are not one in the same. What ever you do stay away from Intense unless you like having your hard earned money stolen away by Scott Cook.

Good to know . . .I've only had dealings with Brian of Dynotune Motorsports. And again, Brian seemed like a real stand up guy.

GRRRR8
01-20-2009, 08:21 PM
:deadhorse: HINT :deadhorse: WARNING :deadhorse: ITS OLD!

wydopnthrtl
01-22-2009, 12:49 PM
Something thats OFTEN never considered in tuning (by the customer) is experience and... part throttle settings. Dyno tunes are great for WOT operation. But in reality how much time do you spend at WOT? 1% at best if the truth be known.

As a old school hot rodder with experience having my stuff dyno tuned.. and now tuning myself. Go with the vendor who's got the most experience and who pays attention to part throttle. Cars that see WOT often are on trailers and headed to the track behind a tow vehicle. ;)

Rich

The Commodore
01-22-2009, 01:35 PM
They are bringing back the SHO....it might give our cars a run for the money.

3.5L twin turbo 355hp/350tq(relatively small turbos for minimal lag) and AWD(it will weigh a good bit more I believe)

:bm:

But back on topic before my post gets deleted...

I'm going to get a Vector tune because of the TCM....the stock one is crap IMO. And no one really seems to be dedicated to the TCM as Vector is.

blackbuick1987
05-22-2011, 12:28 PM
Good to know . . .I've only had dealings with Brian of Dynotune Motorsports. And again, Brian seemed like a real stand up guy.

Brian is a very good guy and a very knowledgeable tuner. He has dyno tuned my G8 and I could not be happier with the results, the car had more power throughout the RPM range and the driveability and shifting improved greatly . He is also a stand up guy and will work hard to make any issues right. His customer service is top notch. Dynotune Motorsports and Intense are not one in the same but he does tune their cars at his shop.

As far as VMS goes I am sure they have a great tune and many are happy with the service they provide. My personal opinion though on "mail order" tunes is that they are just a broad generic tune. I believe the best option is to have your car in the hands of a capable tuner and have them create a tune for your car to get the best results. There is a lot of variables for each car that cannot be accounted for with a mail order tune. If they offer the email tune option though than I say that it cannot be beat because I am sure that VMS are very capable tuners and if they get the data they need from a dyno run to tailor the tune to your car then the results will be better.

-Ray-
05-22-2011, 02:48 PM
You aren't going to go around and bump all the two year old threads I hope.

blackbuick1987
05-22-2011, 04:06 PM
Not planning on it just came across this in a search, didn't realize it was that old. My bad.