PDA

View Full Version : How to port our throttlebodies?

AVIDMOTION
04-06-2012, 06:05 AM
I too am interested in TB PORTING. I had decided on the NEW ERA ported TB. However they do not have any cores and down time is a problem with my G8, as it is the family DD. MY BEST FRIEND however has the tools, know how, and experience, so I may have her do it. Are there any tips for porting OUR stock TB beyond the basics?
Anything that would help one port our TB?
Any tips appreciate!
Any suggestions on how you would do your own is helpful.

STL_G8GT
04-06-2012, 06:13 AM
I would suggest a die grinder, although others would use a belt sander. Some have poured sand into the intake to polish the tb and intake runners, but I think its overkill... so I superglued sandpaper to a couple mice and dropped them in the intake manifold... having done that, I would use a grinder... the mice left a funny smell and plenty of smoke after 10 miles or so.

It's your call.

But seriously, be careful doing this as a DIY, guys have seriously messed up their idle, etc, with negligible gains.

Monty
04-06-2012, 06:49 AM
Why didn't you use the one Randy gave you?

vert
04-06-2012, 07:50 AM
I used a flap sanding wheel that I bought at Menards. Bought course med and fine grit. I think the size is 2.5" and it fits perfect inside the TB. Just don't get too close to the blade/butterfly.

vert
04-06-2012, 07:59 AM
I would suggest a die grinder, although others would use a belt sander. Some have poured sand into the intake to polish the tb and intake runners, but I think its overkill... so I superglued sandpaper to a couple mice and dropped them in the intake manifold... having done that, I would use a grinder... the mice left a funny smell and plenty of smoke after 10 miles or so.

It's your call.
You have it all wrong. Go out and buy a gerbil and the little gerbil play wheell, gllue paper to the outside of it and stick it inside the throttle body in let'em run

AVIDMOTION
04-06-2012, 10:26 AM
I did try Randy's. No SEs light however it idled funky and ran choppy with micro
Hesitation on the top end. Right at end of the RPM band would run real rough and edgy.
Definitely MY car did not like it. My mechanic is going to cut out the hump. Widenthe inside 1edge mm down. And then polish it up. Not going
To touch the flap or under it. Then match it up to my manifold and clean up the
edges and smooth where they meet.

GRRRR8
04-06-2012, 10:51 AM
This isn't really a DIY thing. It can be done, but in most cases there are idle issues and drivability issues causes by not knowing what you are doing. Many have tried and failed and had to buy a new TB. For 5-7 HP(MAYBE) and the necessary tuning involved........not worth it in my opinion.

SpeedRacerX
04-06-2012, 03:59 PM
^^ I believe this now.

Joe, like I keep saying, it's probably not going to matter whether you DIY or buy a ported TB, I think you'll need a new tune no matter what, or it's going to run funky - especially with the Vararam and that straight shot of air right into a ported TB.

Bo White
04-06-2012, 04:02 PM
Have you ported anything before?

Monty
04-06-2012, 06:48 PM
My tb is ported I did it myself and even knifed the plate. I have the VMS tune and Kooks mids the only difference is the Rotofab. The car idles smooth and drives excellent. I'd like to try that tb on my car to see if it's the Vararam or tb.

AVIDMOTION
04-06-2012, 09:08 PM
I will get it back soon. I still may have New Era do it since they have done a bunch of them and I never hear anything wrong. My tuner said no tune needed. So if I send it to them I will need Randy's for a bit.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

AVIDMOTION
04-06-2012, 09:11 PM
Also my mechanic says he is confident he knows how to do it, has the equipment and has done dozens. He made a jig for it. However no I have never ported anything automotive.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk