PDA

View Full Version : Trans cooler alternative locations

wreckwriter
01-16-2009, 10:47 AM
The place where my trans cooler is mounted is soon to be filled with intercooler. Anyone have any ideas for alternative mounting locations for the cooler (even if I have to buy another type)?

Rich@pm-fl.com
01-16-2009, 11:04 AM
This is what I am in the middle of right now, for the same reasons. What we did was shim the washer fluid resevior back about a 1/4 or so, and mounted the cooler toward the driverside, between the resevior and the metal brace. Pleanty of air flow there, and no clearance issues with the hood or bumper. Also leaves pleanty of room toward the passenger side for the heat exchanger that comes with the Maggie.

http://www.pm-fl.com/images/G8/transcooler.jpg

Ktlplxm
01-16-2009, 01:33 PM
It would be possible to mount the cooler behind one of the fog lights (just follow me for a moment) then run a duct from the dummy part of the lower grill to the cooler. You'll still receive a lot of air from the front, but it will be over to the side. Another thought would be to modify the splash gaurds in front of the wheels and mount it horizontally like the procharger intercoolers in the Fbodys. It would also be possible to mount one near the rear of the vehicle in the space between the mufflers, angled correctly it would cool more efficiently than the front because of lower ambient heat. Last but not least, you could mount it anywhere in the nose with a modular fan assembly attached and let it pull the cool air available through it. Just a couple of ideas...

GeorgeInNePa
01-16-2009, 01:38 PM
The place where my trans cooler is mounted is soon to be filled with intercooler. Anyone have any ideas for alternative mounting locations for the cooler (even if I have to buy another type)?

Mount it over your "Charlie/GRRRR8" hole in the lower panel. Your Roto isn't going to be there and your PC is going to pull air from another area (as I'm sure you know, ;)).