PDA

View Full Version : Black Upper Door Trim

Crazy Paul
03-22-2012, 04:22 PM
I removed the prices for Deals 19 & 20 from my website a long time ago because the shipping costs became ridiculous. The only reason was because the box containing long gutter trims was around 8 feet long. Airfreight was charged on volume occupied and not actual weight of the box.
http://members.iinet.net.au/~pjsadler/index_files/Page430.htm

So with many of you now looking to coat your chrome door trims black instead, here's some packages to assist.

DEAL 19A
The trim clips on the long curved gutter trims often break on removal from the car. You have 14 white clips, 6 yellow (or pointy white clips), and 2 green clips per car.
Deal 19A is a package of replacement clips containing:
14 new white clips.
6 new yellow (or pointy white) clips.
2 new green clips.
Total shipped price US$40
ETA approx 10 days by Airmail.

DEAL 19B
The trim clips on your 4 straight chrome upper door trims may also break on removal from the car. There are a total of 6 clips spread over the 4 straight trims, with each clip different to each other. You cannot rob a clip from one position to put in another position on the car.
Replacement clips are not available from GM or Holden for any of the 4 chrome upper door trims, which means if you break a clip you will need to buy a complete new chrome strip (approx US$75ea). If you break a clip while installing a freshly coated upper door trim you'll still need to buy a new strip just to get a new clip.

Solution
I can supply a package containing 4 new Holden black straight upper door trims which come with all new clips pre-installed. You can match this black to the required black coating for your 2 long curved gutter trims. Also provided will be all 22 new replacement clips for the long curved gutter trims.
(You can afford to break every clip removing your gutter trims).

Deal 19B is a package containing:
4 new Holden black straight upper door trim pieces.
14 new white clips.
6 new yellow (or pointy white) clips.
2 new green clips.
Total shipped price US$215
See Post#7 for a 2x Deal19B deal shipped to a single address.
ETA approx 10 days by Airmail.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/Clips/2008_Pontiac_G8_GT_19.jpg

2lazy4agoodname
03-22-2012, 05:04 PM
Of course i just spent 8 hours applying vinyl on the all the chrome last week. FML....

Great idea and deal cp!

Joe@Grrrr8Stuff.com
03-22-2012, 06:06 PM
Would you be able to give a price for maybe 5-10 sets sent to one location? PM if necessary.

Crazy Paul
03-22-2012, 06:12 PM
Of course i just spent 8 hours applying vinyl on the all the chrome last week. FML....
Great idea and deal cp!

Well sorry I didn't post it up sooner. I've done about 6 of the Deal19B's now but hadn't really nailed an efficient way to package them until just yesterday. 2 of the straight strips are bang on the maximum allowable length for shipping thru the postal system...which didn't allow for end protection if I laid them in a straight fashion inside a box. I had been making boxes maximum length and maximum width then laying the strips diagonally, so I could get some end protection in place. Found an off the shelf packaging solution yesterday which makes the whole task a no-brainer.
:)

Crazy Paul
03-22-2012, 06:30 PM
Would you be able to give a price for maybe 5-10 sets sent to one location? PM if necessary.
Sure, no problem. I'll have something to you in the next day.

drumsbh
03-22-2012, 07:25 PM

Shoot me a pm if you get this going... I'm guessing it would be like the cabin filters, 1 person getting the shipments and distributing here?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Crazy Paul
03-26-2012, 10:22 PM
Would you be able to give a price for maybe 5-10 sets sent to one location? PM if necessary. Sent by PM.

Anybody else with 2 cars that need doing?
2 sets (of 4 straight black upper door trims and 22 gutter clips) shipped together to the same address in the single package....Total Shipped US$399. [That's just under US$200ea.]

Please just send the one Paypal for you and your buddy.

STL_G8GT
03-27-2012, 05:42 AM
Sent by PM.

Anybody else with 2 cars that need doing?
2 sets (of 4 straight black upper door trims and 12 gutter clips) shipped together to the same address in the single package....Total Shipped US$370. [That's US$185ea.]

Please just send the one Paypal for you and your buddy.

Stl or lake guys... anybody want to do this? Shane, Jeff, or Ty? Greg?

XXFire
03-27-2012, 07:49 AM
Doing Shadowline... If that doesn't work, I'll be back...

MaxPower
03-28-2012, 03:35 AM
Stl or lake guys... anybody want to do this? Shane, Jeff, or Ty? Greg?

Yes. Can't stand the chrome...but $185 just to get rid of it... I dunno.

donkeyGT
03-28-2012, 09:11 AM
Yes. Can't stand the chrome...but $185 just to get rid of it... I dunno.I thought the same..but after doing it the way Paul mentioned I am way past happy.

Crazy Paul
03-28-2012, 03:34 PM
I thought the same..but after doing it the way Paul mentioned I am way past happy.
Thanks for the feedback.
There's probably about 6 cars now on GRRRR8 that have been done this way, including G8Ray and soon Mr GRRRR8 himself (Charlie).

The thing most people don't realise is the "chrome" trim on the upper doors and gutters of your G8's are actually bright stainless steel. Some of the tape and coatings that DIY guys have been using need re-doing at relatively short intervals because they start to peel or look crap after awhile.

These Holden black upper door strips are coated black from the factory, so they will have done the research to find a black coating compatible with bright stainless steel that hopefully lasts the life of the car. Once they're done they can stay there fitted to your car year after year etc.
Coating & re-coating the long curved gutter trims then becomes your only possible ongoing chore, at least replacement clips are available for those 2 gutter strips.

Crazy8
03-28-2012, 03:57 PM
Anyone in DFW interested in ordering together?

STL_G8GT
03-28-2012, 08:10 PM
Yes. Can't stand the chrome...but $185 just to get rid of it... I dunno.

C'mon!!!!

drumsbh
03-28-2012, 08:33 PM
I'm game in Rochester MN. Pm me if anything comes about!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

MaxPower
03-29-2012, 04:40 AM
C'mon!!!!

My wife is not nearly as supportive as yours. As she tells me, "I'm the honey badger, I dont give a shit." Asked her about me getting rid of the chrome, she had -0- opinion on it.

STL_G8GT
03-29-2012, 05:09 AM
My wife is not nearly as supportive as yours. As she tells me, "I'm the honey badger, I dont give a shit." Asked her about me getting rid of the chrome, she had -0- opinion on it.

Tell her the chrome (actually stainless) is found to be radioactive, and os shown to be very harmful to children and small animals.

Eidolon
03-29-2012, 12:23 PM
I'm down for a set of 19B here in the Raleigh area if anyone else is. So I'll leave this post here for a bit before sending you an order, Paul.

Eidolon
03-29-2012, 02:08 PM
That was easy. You shall have a PayPal payment shortly, Paul!

Crazy Paul
03-29-2012, 02:42 PM
That was easy. You shall have a PayPal payment shortly, Paul!
Thankyou, Received all OK. Will get those pair shipped out today for you. I'll send shipping info to the e-mail you used for the Paypal.
:cheers:

STL_G8GT
03-29-2012, 03:05 PM
Stl!!!!!????

Eidolon
04-15-2012, 04:18 PM
Sooooo... if we managed to get the upper trim off, but only through the Great Trim Clip Massacre of 2012, any suggestions how to distribute the new clips? I managed to get three off cleanly on one side, but the other side ... not so much.

Crazy Paul
04-15-2012, 04:49 PM
Sooooo... if we managed to get the upper trim off, but only through the Great Trim Clip Massacre of 2012, any suggestions how to distribute the new clips? I managed to get three off cleanly on one side, but the other side ... not so much.

There's 7 white, 1 green, three yellow (or small pointy white)...per side of car. Total 22 gutter clips.
You're saying you busted 17 out of 22?

From other people I've heard they busted 3 or 4.
Normally when I send 6 white, 2 green, 4 yellow as spares for a car that's ample.

I can ship more by Airmail today but they'll take 8 days to get there.
If you need them sooner I could give you some other members to PM and see if they have spares left over.

Eidolon
04-15-2012, 04:52 PM
There's 7 white, 1 green, two yellow...per side of car. Total 20 gutter clips.
You're saying you busted 17 out of 20?

Oh, heavens, no. Not nearly that bad. I'm talented, but not THAT talented. All the clips on the back end of the trim survived. I only broke one green. So on the yellow and green, I'm all set. It's only the whites on which I'm a bit short. I didn't think to enumerate the replacements versus what was on the car beforehand, so I was a little careless. All 7 met their end on the passenger side, and I was more careful on the driver side, so I preserved 3 (and a half).

So with the 6 spares, 3 rescues, and the one extra (only one out of the four "legs" on it was broken) I'm down just two overall.

EDIT: Sorry, 14 total, not 12. So I'm down 4, looks like. I should still have enough to secure the trim, I would think.

Crazy Paul
04-15-2012, 05:26 PM
White gutter clips are #92207444 if you want to try locally.
Otherwise I can PM you some members who may have spares.

Crazy Paul
04-16-2012, 12:01 PM
All deals updated now to include a full compliment of 22 gutter trim clips per car set.
(You can break all your old gutter clips and you'll have spares).

Qwk
05-01-2012, 08:21 PM
PM sent. :cheers:

GeoffA
05-03-2012, 01:04 PM
CP I need to order the upper door trim in black, I will pm you my info!

Edit: didnt fully read first post... Looking for the two gutter pieces in black...

Crazy Paul
05-29-2012, 09:02 PM
Upper Door Trim Instructions.

###You do not have to remove the mirrors, just be careful not to scratch anything.
The front door strips only have a clip at the rear, at the front they are retained by a pocket in the mirror housing.
You have to lift up an inch at the rear to dis-engage the rear clip & then walk the strip rearward to get it out from inside the mirror pocket.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/Instructions/doortrim1_04.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/Instructions/doortrim2_04.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/Instructions/doortrim3_04.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/Instructions/doortrim4_04.jpg

Gutter Trim Instructions

THIS IS A 2 PERSON JOB, PREVENT SCRATCHES BY USING A COMPETENT HELPER.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/Instructions/drip1_04.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/Instructions/drip2_04.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/Instructions/drip3_04.jpg

G8Holland
03-18-2013, 12:43 PM
Update: pulled the trigger on this already.

WiscoG8
03-18-2013, 06:56 PM
Could you PM me the price on #20 the trim plus unpainted door handles? Debating on doin this. Are the door handles just pop out old and pop in new? No modification required?

Sent from a nuclear plant on my S3

GRRRR8
03-19-2013, 03:51 AM
Could you PM me the price on #20 the trim plus unpainted door handles? Debating on doin this. Are the door handles just pop out old and pop in new? No modification required?

Once painted, the door handles can be changed in 5 minutes or less per door. Door panel does NOT have to come off.

vert
03-19-2013, 04:35 AM

Here is the sticky on door handle removal http://www.grrrr8.net/Forums/showthread.php?t=8887&highlight=remove+door+handles

BlackGT5
03-28-2013, 05:51 PM
Hey CP, any further thought on shipping the upper trim via boat? My painted uppers are starting to peel.

Crazy Paul
03-28-2013, 06:07 PM
Hey CP, any further thought on shipping the upper trim via boat? My painted uppers are starting to peel.
I can airfreight a super long box with the 2 long black curved gutter trims and the 4 black straight upper door trims.
It's US$434 shipped total from me, BUT UPS have a fee for processing the US Customs Documents. I cannot pay the fee from my end.
I think the fee will be US$44 payable to the UPS delivery driver who comes to your house.
I'll be shipping one of these straight after Easter so will get a better handle on the UPS fee about April 8th.

Edit--Update. UPS didn't charge at the USA end for the set just shipped. I wish they weren't so random with such things.

BlackGT5
03-28-2013, 06:14 PM
I just need the curved pieces. I bought deal 19b from you last August.

Crazy Paul
03-28-2013, 06:47 PM
I just need the curved pieces. I bought deal 19b from you last August.
US$365 for a box containing just the 2 long black gutter strips shipped.
+ UPS delivery driver will still want US$44 at your end.

Edit--(maybe want $44).

mhissticobra
04-09-2013, 05:45 AM
Anybody in NE Ohio or in the Cranberry or Pittsburgh area want to join me in the 19b deal?

Scoob
07-23-2013, 08:36 AM
CP, can you ship one long box with 2 of the full kits. So this would contain 4 long black curved gutter trim pieces and 8 black straight upper door trims. Would they fit so it could cut down on shipping?

Crazy Paul
07-23-2013, 09:33 AM
CP, can you ship one long box with 2 of the full kits. So this would contain 4 long black curved gutter trim pieces and 8 black straight upper door trims. Would they fit so it could cut down on shipping?
Hi there,
No there's no room in the standard boxes I've made to fit any more than 1 full car set. I kept the dimensions to the minimum possible to save on freight costs. There will be some kind of saving by shipping 2 boxes to the same address. Send me an e-mail with your location and I'll figure it out for you.
pjsadler@iinet.net.au

2lazy4agoodname
02-14-2014, 04:11 PM
Does anyone with deal 19b have vinyl on their upper trim? Mine is currently vinyl-ed but I am not sure if it will match the new lower trim.

SpeedRacerX
05-12-2014, 02:16 PM
Just received my black door trim (the 4 straight pieces) from Paul. Look nice. Will install tonight.

SpeedRacerX
05-12-2014, 03:43 PM
Installed. I like it. Just need to re-wrap the large upper gutter trim.

http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu40/SpeedRacerXPB/trim3_zps00da53ca.jpg

http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu40/SpeedRacerXPB/trim2_zps4b40eef0.jpg

Charles
05-15-2014, 08:16 AM
Here is what the 'Upper' piece looks like in a box, yes 2 sides, 2 boxes. Luckily, for the SS, it's available stateside...will it fit the G8?

Greg@PacePerformance
05-15-2014, 08:19 AM
Here is what the 'Upper' piece looks like in a box, yes 2 sides, 2 boxes. Luckily, for the SS, it's available stateside...will it fit the G8?

Yes :) see edit below

Edit: Maybe

matts88yj
05-15-2014, 09:51 AM
Yes :)

Whoa wait a minute, I thought I saw where CP said that the long upper gutter piece would not fit the G8's. Just wanted to clarify because if the long upper gutter piece does fit the G8 then Greg and CP will be getting some funds sent over their way soon!

Crazy Paul
05-15-2014, 09:54 AM
Yes :)
I hadn't been able to get any stock of the VF black gutter trim here to buy one and have a look at it.
Just comparing the parts drawings and the numbers and positions of clips suggested VF/Chevy SS gutter trim was way different to VE/G8.

Crazy Paul
05-15-2014, 10:04 AM
Those cardboard boxes are an incredible work of stupidity.
Each VE gutter trim used to come in a box about 3.5" thick and even that was too much.
A full set of 4 upper door trims and 2 gutter trims, for one car....can all fit in a box 7 feet x 16" x 2" thick.

matts88yj
05-15-2014, 10:13 AM
I'd love to get clarification on that whenever you have some time. My lower window trim pieces are worn out and I've been holding off on replacing them until I could order the upper and lower black trim kit in one shot.

Thank you for your help CP and Greg!

Greg@PacePerformance
05-15-2014, 10:49 AM
I hadn't been able to get any stock of the VF black gutter trim here to buy one and have a look at it.
Just comparing the parts drawings and the numbers and positions of clips suggested VF/Chevy SS gutter trim was way different to VE/G8.

OH my mistake. I thought you said they will work :)

If someone local wants to give it a try I will order the SS version in, but I don't want to ship because of the expense and possibility of damage.

After paying the shipping on them they are almost cheaper to buy for retail from your local dealer.

Crazy Paul
05-15-2014, 11:00 AM
OH my mistake. I thought you said they will work :)
Long Curved Gutter Trim (2 pieces per car).
If Chevy SS gutter trim will fit on G8 then the GM drawings for the SS gutter trim is wrong.
The Part Numbers are showing as different between VE/G8 and VF/Chevy SS for the gutter trims.

Short Straight Upper Door Trim (4 pieces per car)
The 4 straight upper door strips are the same part numbers and a confirmed interchange between G8 and Chevy SS.

2lazy4agoodname
05-15-2014, 08:25 PM
So can we get a definite answer on this before i blow 250 on trim that may/may not work?

Crazy Paul
05-15-2014, 09:51 PM
So can we get a definite answer on this before i blow 250 on trim that may/may not work?
YES.
I'll have a definate answer just inside 24Hrs from now.
I've got a new gutter trim VE type and another new gutter trim VF type....both are at a local warehouse, just need to find time to go open the boxes and compare them side by side.

2lazy4agoodname
05-16-2014, 01:47 AM
YES.
I'll have a definate answer just inside 24Hrs from now.
I've got a new gutter trim VE type and another new gutter trim VF type....both are at a local warehouse, just need to find time to go open the boxes and compare them side by side.

Thanks paul.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

texn884
05-16-2014, 06:36 AM
I thought maybe Crazy Paul shipped over two Grid Girls for us here in the states, damn its just car parts :(

Crazy Paul
05-16-2014, 05:27 PM
YES.
Black gutter trim for 2014 Chevy SS is the same as Black gutter trim for G8.
The 4 x straight black upper door trims are also the same, however it's cheaper to buy the straight bits from AU.

Parts Required Thread.
http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=39030

(The GM drawing for VF/2014 Chevy SS gutter trim which previously had the wrong clip info is now fixed and shows the same gutter clips as VE/G8).

Greg@PacePerformance
05-17-2014, 07:37 AM
Good to hear Paul.
I still might think it would be cheaper for the customer to buy local instead of shipping the giant box. You could make it smaller, but then your risk shipping damage.

JensKP
05-17-2014, 07:50 AM
Does anyone have a picture of these on a black car?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

G8V8
05-17-2014, 09:47 AM
Does anyone have a picture of these on a black car?

Here you go. I got these from Crazy Paul before the black gutter and black lower window trim were available in the US.

Crazy Paul
05-17-2014, 12:51 PM
I still might think it would be cheaper for the customer to buy local instead of shipping the giant box.
Yes, people should buy the 2 x long curved gutter pieces from their local GM dealership and not pay any shipping charges.

You could make it smaller, but then your risk shipping damage.
IMO having something flopping around inside a huge box is already risking un-necessary shipping damage. Just the freedom to move so far in vacant space is enough to kill some parts, without anything ever impacting the exterior of the box.
Here's how I used to fit a full car set inside a box 2" tall.
Dozens made it across the globe intact and only 2 or 3 got run over by a forklift on one occasion & died.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/Door%20Trim/R1010502_zps65c1acd0.jpg (http://s2.photobucket.com/user/PerthPurplePenguin/media/car%20parts/Door%20Trim/R1010502_zps65c1acd0.jpg.html)
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/Door%20Trim/R1010503_zpsf9fd2866.jpg (http://s2.photobucket.com/user/PerthPurplePenguin/media/car%20parts/Door%20Trim/R1010503_zpsf9fd2866.jpg.html)

JensKP
05-17-2014, 04:54 PM
Here you go. I got these from Crazy Paul before the black gutter and black lower window trim were available in the US.

Very nice. Thx