PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else have this problem?

SpectreG8GT
01-14-2009, 04:29 PM
I've noticed that putting gas in my car can sometimes be a pain in the ass.

I start to pump the gas and almost instantly it clicks off like it's full. It'll usually do this several times before it actually decides to keep filling, and even then it'll still kick off at least once before the tank is full!

I know it's minor, but it's frustrating as hell

SRG963
01-14-2009, 05:09 PM

I start to pump the gas and almost instantly it clicks off like it's full. It'll usually do this several times before it actually decides to keep filling, and even then it'll still kick off at least once before the tank is full!

I know it's minor, but it's frustrating as hell

There is a valve that seems to be stuck in your car. It's been known to happen, sorry to say, but seems a trip to the dealership is in your future. Have them order the parts, and as long as you can put gas into it, keep driving till the parts come in.

The valve is to prevent gas from leaking out with a flip over accident.

GRRRR8
01-14-2009, 06:27 PM
It has an issue with the roll over valve.

todds87ss
01-14-2009, 06:42 PM
Mine used to do that. It seems to have stopped on it's own. Glad it did...can't let the trolls at the dealer get their hands on it...

SpectreG8GT
01-15-2009, 12:59 PM
This morning the check engine light popped on so I went to the dealership. While I was there I told them about this problem and after they checked out the light they found out that the problems are interrelated. Apparently it's exactly like you said, of course, and the fuel check valve is faulty. They have to order me a whole new fuel tank! It'll be here in 2 weeks apparently.

todds87ss
01-15-2009, 07:30 PM

Are you sure you are putting the nozzle in the right hole...?:spank:

sixt9stang
02-05-2011, 01:12 PM
I have the same exact issue. I hope it fixes itself because my car is not under warranty anymore and I doubt a new gas tank is cheap. It only started happening in the real cold weather so I hope that has something to do with it.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
02-05-2011, 01:27 PM
The valve is covered under the 8 yr/80k emissions warranty, as are all parts related to the fuel tank.

todds87ss
02-07-2011, 03:39 PM
I have the same exact issue. I hope it fixes itself because my car is not under warranty anymore and I doubt a new gas tank is cheap. It only started happening in the real cold weather so I hope that has something to do with it.

the tank does not need to be replaced. It is just the easiest way to get the car fixed using warranty money. Your vent is likely plugged. Do a little research on a plugged tank vent, and search the gto websites as well, as they use the same setup. If you are throwing a code, post it up.

texn884
02-07-2011, 04:16 PM
If they replace the tank you get a new fuel pump with it correct?

norm8332
02-07-2011, 04:31 PM
The fuel pump is a separate part.

JPEGXP
02-08-2011, 06:21 AM
I have this problem with my corvette, but it hasn't moved since December so I will have to see if it's still persistent when I start driving it again.

todds87ss
02-08-2011, 06:34 AM
The tank vent is solenoid controlled, and should be open when the car is off. Once started, and after a quick self diagnosis, the purge solenoid and the vent solenoid act to control tank pressure. If stuck closed (or in my case, solenoid fried due to passing fuel through it) it should throw a code. My code was related to an electrically bad solenoid (P0449). There are cases of plugged lines/canisters not throwing codes.

texn884
02-08-2011, 05:21 PM
That figures on the fuel pump. Amazing how they do things.