PDA

View Full Version : Red guages or black guages

Bo White
03-01-2012, 08:31 PM
Ive seen were there are some GXPs with black guages. What options or combinations determined red or black? I read were one said weither or not it had onyx/red interior but thats not the case since mine is onyx/onyx with red guages or is it M6/A6 or combinations?

LS1_Disciple
03-02-2012, 08:55 AM
It was dictated by exterior color if I remember correctly. I read it somewhere on here, but I can't find the thread at the moment. Something like black, silver, white, and red exteriors all got the red gauges regardless of interior color. I believe the two blues (SBM and PSM) only got black gauges. Not sure about gray.

I think bracketracer knows for sure - he'll probably pop in here soon enough.

**Edit - forgot about Sport Red. Probably got black because the red interior would clash too much.

bracketracer
03-02-2012, 03:58 PM
My research indicated that all PBM, LR, MSM, WH, and MGM GXPs came with the red guages, and that all SRM, SBM, and PSM GXPs came with the black guages. However, I have now found an example of an SRM GXP that apparently came from the factory with red guages. I am confirming that info currently.

These cars were built by human beings who build one car after another. Maybe they slipped up and threw red guages in your SRM car by mistake, or maybe they did it intentionally just to be a little different.

Bo White
03-02-2012, 06:11 PM
I work for Mercedes Benz on the assembly line. I cannot speak for any auto manufacturer but will speak for myself. On the buildsheet that goes down the line with a vehicle it will have part #s for what goes on that vehicle on that line. Sometimes there are "alternative" part #s down in a corner of the sheet that if that part is out there is an alternative that is allowed to be used. I have seen this only once were I work but there is a spot on the sheet for this(just so happens to be blank). If your car slipped of the line like this it may have been acceptable by the quality inspection department and was not tagged for wrong/missing and not replaced. Like I said, speaking for myself based on what I think can happen not what Ive seen happen.