PDA

View Full Version : Thinking aloud...

Eidolon
02-28-2012, 09:24 AM
This is going to a bit "stream of consciousness", so I apologize for the rambling. But I've been turning some things over in my head and wanted some feedback.

So after the track event this past weekend, I realized my G8 still has a few deficiencies for track use. It definitely needs better tires and wheels, but that's simple enough. It also needs some better dampers, which I could get in the form of the Pedders SuperCar coilovers. But then the seats just aren't enough for track use. So I'd need a harness bar, at least, and perhaps some upgraded seats from Corbeau or Recaro.

I also got a momentary check engine light during the track event that went away in fewer than 10 seconds. Last time I was on track, I had the same thing happen, then another that stuck that turned out to be a cylinder misfire. This time around, I'm wondering if Rick's h(G8-4-Speed's) tune was good enoug to eliminate cylinder misfires and what I got was momentary oil starvation in a corner. Hence the transient nature of the warning. The engine did seem to sound "gruffer" or rougher on the way home, though there was no lag in its pickup or "clattering" that I could tell. I'll change the oil and run an oil analysis and all on it, so we'll see what comes of that. But that also got me thinking that if I intend to keep tracking the G8, I should probably invest in an oil cooler and Accusump to ensure oil supply and condition. Courtesy of the cooler coolant thermostat (160 degrees) and cool outdoor temps (50 degrees at most), the oil only got up to 253 degrees. But under warmer conditions, it could climb higher.

Then I'd need a TrueTrac for the rear so I didn't wear out the diff.

Also, I've got a pop in the front left suspension that I need to diagnose that developed and worsened over the weekend, including throwing off my alignment and canting my steering wheel to the left. The front suspension on this car really has given me no end of trouble since I switched away from stock. I'm hoping I didn't crack a delrin bushing, destroy a ball joint in one of the Spohn arms, or ruin a bearing in the strut mount.

Finally, the delrin up front really has made the car a bit harsh over bumps. If I'm not in the right mood or the road is particularly rough, it's maddening. It's tempting to switch back to my old stock arms and put in poly bushings from BMR or Pedders, which I might be able to do without ruining the trackability of the car or having to continually service.

In the end, the big question, though, is do I really want to keep using the G8 as my track car? I love that I'm getting to put it through what it was always promised it could do, and the sound of the V8 engine barreling down the back straight is intoxicating. It'd sadden me to garage it. But while a friend has been doing this for over a decade and has never run his car into another vehicle or a barrier, there's something to be said for having a car where you don't really care if it does happen. E36 M3's are cheap, and can be had for under $10,000 now. And do I want to continue modding for track use and wearing out a car that is so rare? Or do I buy the cheap track car, kit it out, and retire the G8 from regular modding and hard-driving duty, even though a street could never put all its capability to use? Money isn't really the issue, since a track car can also be quite the sinkhole.

Decisions, decisions. These are the things I've been thinking about. I even briefly glanced at the price of a new Corvette Grand Sport with the Centennial package, which includes the MRC damping system. Suffice it to say, they are ... out of my price range. Even the Camaro ZL1 fits that bill (or, rather, doesn't). And talk about cars you don't want to put into a tire wall... So I'll be sticking with the G8. Just... sticking with it for track use or not, is what I haven't decided.

LDM
02-28-2012, 10:28 AM
Ultimately, you have to decide what's going to bring you the most enjoyment out of this car. I have no problem keeping my car off the track, even if I'm not using it to it's full potential, just because it makes me happy from everyday use. I don't care as much about miles per gallon as long as the smiles per gallon meter is pegged out. If you can afford a dedicated track car, I'd go with that. Then you can enjoy the GXP for what it is, the meanest street car Pontiac ever sold.

Bill Brollier
02-28-2012, 01:31 PM
Eidolon, I feel your pain. As the install of my CTS V v2 brakes (thanks MIEngineer) nears, a trip to Hallett Motor Racing Circuit (HMRC), the closest dedicated Road Racing Circuit, is closing in on reality.

This would not be my first trip to a road race course. I was rather active in SCCA Club Racing “back in the day” (in fact I helped with last minute track preparations for HMRC’s first event).

So, I am very familiar with the stress and strain put on street based auto’s in the Road Race environment.

I will not put my G8 thru that wear and tear. My 2 Ton, 4-door, street legal, limousine comfortable, grocery haulin’, rocket, affords me too much enjoyment, as is, to bang on it really hard. Occasional Autocross, Drag Strip, top speed, HPD or whatever—you bet, but not all the time.

Others are definitely pushing their G8’s to the max and I not only applaud the effort, I follow it with a lot of interest and awe. If the V8 Super Cars really make it to Austin, TX I hope to be there with many GRRRR8.net friends watching and cheering the (replica) Holdens on to victory!

But for me, my G8 will be dedicated to Grand Touring, as the term was originally used- more about the refined, stylish, educational, experience gathering trip, in my case being performed at a spirited pace!

Of course Grand Touring Omologate is a much different thing! :)

On the other hand, there is something 98Aggie said that sticks in my mind. He told me that the RX-7 has a much lower drag coefficient than a corvette (and no, these are not the exact words he used). Then I found out that there is a company that makes a kit to bolt LSX engines into RX-7s. That would be kind of an RxGrrrr8 or maybe Mazdiac wouldn’t it? I don’t know, I just can’t get this off my mind.

Eidion, whatever you decide to do, please keep sharing your enlightening experiences with us.

Health,

Bill B

Doug Hilliard
02-28-2012, 01:38 PM
Just so you know, my instructor from VIR last Fall is selling his Corvette which has all the stuff for the track. Here's the overview from an e-mail:

Good, 03 ZO6, 70k miles, new motor at 25k, Heads up display, LG Headers, oversize Radiator w/ oil cooler, Rebuilt trans 2k ago, $21K.

I can put you in touch with him if you are interested.

Eidolon
02-28-2012, 01:42 PM
Bill,

I'm not looking to compete, so the G8 would never be full-on race with a roll cage and the like. That's a little further than I want to go. Something in me just feels the G8 is caged on public roads... But HPDE use is darned hard on it, still.

Doug,

A little out of my price range, unfortunately. :( I'm also not looking to buy right now. It'll be later this year or next. First, I need to save up to buy a house. At the moment, I'm just kind of... puzzling stuff out.

Kermit
02-28-2012, 04:21 PM
I may not be as elaborate as the others here but I say keep the G8 for occasional Auto-x, drag strip or what ever and get a specific road course car. Enjoy the G8 for what it is. A killer street car!!!!

-Ray-
02-28-2012, 04:31 PM
Let me be as eloquent as I can. If you put road racing in front of purchasing a home, it doesn't matter what car you use. If you put planning and purchasing a home in front of road racing, you must be asking yourself, "How did I get here"?

GXPaycheck
02-29-2012, 05:34 AM
You can always get a 2nd G8 and one for show and one for go!

Eidolon
02-29-2012, 10:00 AM
Let me be as eloquent as I can. If you put road racing in front of purchasing a home, it doesn't matter what car you use. If you put planning and purchasing a home in front of road racing, you must be asking yourself, "How did I get here"?
No real road racing. Just HPDE's and maaaybe a competition school. We'll see how hooked I get. Further mods are on hold until after the house purchase, though.

You're no help at all. :p

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

LDM
02-29-2012, 10:03 AM
You're no help at all. :p

Most people on the forum would probably be considered enablers.

I12XLR8
02-29-2012, 10:36 AM
Personally taking my car on the track scares me - I love the look of it too much to want to slide into a wall, another car, or a jet dryer :flame: . My two cents would be to keep the G8 for the street and get that M3 to beat up on the track.

BigV8
02-29-2012, 11:58 AM
I like Bill Brolliers comment. I plan on hitting the track soon myself, but maybe twice a year. I don't know if you can just drive around a road circuit fast without beating on our cars or not and still have fun.

Kaos
02-29-2012, 12:22 PM

^^ This. And yes...I consider myself an enabler. I have looked for a local GT or base sedan for my DD winter car...ahhh!:facepalm2:

Eidolon
02-29-2012, 12:30 PM
I like Bill Brolliers comment. I plan on hitting the track soon myself, but maybe twice a year. I don't know if you can just drive around a road circuit fast without beating on our cars or not and still have fun.

I like Bill's comment, but there's no way I could afford a fully custom-built RX-7!

Problem with being on track is that part of the fun is finding that edge where you're pushing yourself and the car and manage to make it click, where you're on line with the engine roaring and the tires balanced on the limits of adhesion. Two of my favorite moments on track were exiting Oak Tree working the throttle to where I could tell the rears were just at the very edge of letting go, and then when I pulled through a turn - I can no longer remember which one - fast and hard, yet so glassy smooth because I was on the line. Felt GOOD.

... Did I mention it's addictive?

Problem is that driving like that pushes the car. Like I said, I've got a pop in the front left now that I need to diagnose, and I got the aforementioned check engine light. I need to check the ECM for the history data.

Honestly, if the car were a GT, I'd be less hesitant about continuing to prep it for track work. It's the "one of 1800" status that makes it feel a little... wrong, somehow.

BigV8
02-29-2012, 03:29 PM
Problem with being on track is that part of the fun is finding that edge where you're pushing yourself and the car and manage to make it click, where you're on line with the engine roaring and the tires balanced on the limits of adhesion. Two of my favorite moments on track were exiting Oak Tree working the throttle to where I could tell the rears were just at the very edge of letting go, and then when I pulled through a turn - I can no longer remember which one - fast and hard, yet so glassy smooth because I was on the line. Felt GOOD.

... Did I mention it's addictive?
Thats what I'm afraid of, addictive. Hopefully my Pedders front arm kit gets here next week so I can get these supercar coilovers installed. I've been waiting since December!

Eidolon
02-29-2012, 06:36 PM
Thats what I'm afraid of, addictive. Hopefully my Pedders front arm kit gets here next week so I can get these supercar coilovers installed. I've been waiting since December!
One of us! One of us!

Three things to remember, as taught to me by the BMW Car Club.

Keep the shiny side up.
Grass bad.
Tire wall VERY BAD!

;)