PDA

View Full Version : what to ask for in an HP Tuners tune?

cobrakid
01-13-2009, 03:17 PM
hey guys I am biting the bullet, and want to know what I should specifically address in my custom tune.

Raise rev limit and fuel cut off to 6300 ?

More aggressive timing for the 93 octane I always run?

Slightly richer tune for the CAI and resonator deletes with 2.5 running from cats to tails?

shift hard enough to bark 2nd gear, and shift better through out?

is it possible to take TM down to just 30% in first and off 2nd gear on?

What else should I ask for?

thanks,

By the way I am getting a decent base tune from which to tweak myself as I learn.

I have a dual wide band......and mainly want to mess with A/F and timing at the track.

Please advise....

norm8332
01-13-2009, 03:46 PM
hey guys I am biting the bullet, and want to know what I should specifically address in my custom tune.

Raise rev limit and fuel cut off to 6300 ?

More aggressive timing for the 93 octane I always run?

Slightly richer tune for the CAI and resonator deletes with 2.5 running from cats to tails?

shift hard enough to bark 2nd gear, and shift better through out?

is it possible to take TM down to just 30% in first and off 2nd gear on?

What else should I ask for?

thanks,

By the way I am getting a decent base tune from which to tweak myself as I learn.

I have a dual wide band......and mainly want to mess with A/F and timing at the track.

Please advise....

I only took the TM down to 75%. The biggest difference was lowering the Base shift times. I changed Sport mode and manual mode. The manual mode is actually usable now. The base shift pressure was also stepped up a bit to help it meet the lower requested times.

Raised the up/down shift RPMs in sport mode.

When I had the TM set too low it felt very hard on the transmission.

My rev is set to 6350

I have it dialed in to my liking.

cobrakid
01-13-2009, 04:07 PM
...thanks, and thanks for the PM bud.

I am looking forward to finally getting a tune.

stryker g8gt
02-22-2009, 05:11 AM
I only took the TM down to 75%. The biggest difference was lowering the Base shift times. I changed Sport mode and manual mode. The manual mode is actually usable now. The base shift pressure was also stepped up a bit to help it meet the lower requested times.

Raised the up/down shift RPMs in sport mode.

When I had the TM set too low it felt very hard on the transmission.

My rev is set to 6350

I have it dialed in to my liking.

I have a silly question........

What is considered sport mode vs manual mode......I have seen up to three modes mentioned....I have to have my Traany retuned after the converter install and want to understand this better....

SRG963
02-22-2009, 05:39 AM

What is considered sport mode vs manual mode......I have seen up to three modes mentioned....I have to have my Traany retuned after the converter install and want to understand this better....

When you move it to the right, it's in Sport mode. Once you push on it, it changes to manumatic :)

-Ray-
02-22-2009, 05:41 AM

Mode 1= full automatic
Mode 2= Sport mode (program designed for holding a certain gear while cornering)
Mode 3= Manual shift gears (rev matching on down shifts)

stryker g8gt
02-22-2009, 06:00 AM
Mode 1= full automatic
Mode 2= Sport mode (program designed for holding a certain gear while cornering)
Mode 3= Manual shift gears (rev matching on down shifts)

Sport Mode = stability control turned on..? or is it an aftermarket program?

-Ray-
02-22-2009, 06:12 AM
Sport Mode = stability control turned on..? or is it an aftermarket program?

Stability control is on for all 3 modes. It's GM programming. The Corvettes have Sport mode. That's where it came from.

Top Speed
02-22-2009, 06:20 AM
Just from reading these forums, I would keep the rev limit stock.

This is because of:

1) DOD lifter reliability issues
2) Reports of excessive cam bearing wear
3) Timing chain tensioner failures.

Also peak horsepower is at approximately 5,500 rpm with stock cam.

p71
02-22-2009, 10:42 PM
so get an aftermarket cam...