PDA

View Full Version : DOD Vibration

tnednepedni
08-15-2008, 08:26 AM
Hi everyone.

Is everyone experiencing a vibration when the AFM is active?
Even my wife complained about it (and she was a passenger).

I am a bit concerned that mine may be worse than others.

2009 G8GT SR
Black Panther

GRRRR8
08-15-2008, 08:29 AM
Describe, speed rpm etc.

-Ray-
08-15-2008, 08:30 AM
The vibration with AFM can be felt. More so at slower speeds for me. If you have concerns, talk to your dealer.
I preferred the vibration prior to installing exhaust, that way I knew it was active.

tnednepedni
08-15-2008, 08:34 AM
I placed the console in diag mode so that I can see when the AFM say FULL or HALF.
Everytime it switches to HALF I feel the vibration.
Appears to be worse on lower speeds. RPM is allways below 2K.
Kind of sounds like a manual running too low an RMPM for gear.

GRRRR8
08-15-2008, 08:38 AM
I noticed that if I do M4-M5 It still goes into AFM, but the vibration stops and mpgs are not effected.

tnednepedni
08-15-2008, 08:41 AM
I never tried that, will check that out next time I'm out and about.
When you say mpgs are not effected, do you mean there is no saving or AFM saving still works.

BTW, I must congradulate you for putting up this forum. I am very optimistic about it's success.

EcoBrick Bob
08-15-2008, 08:43 AM
I have over 6K on my G8. I think it has gotten a bit more noticeable, but I have also installed Magnaflows, and have a CAI and have taken the insulation off the intake manifold per Charlie's mod. H-pipe seemed to help. NO drone in 8 cyl mode and very little in 4 cyl mode. The noise/vibration is due in part to the one step lower octave of the 4 cyl. mode. The same thing happens on big V8 boats with side exhaust. If you only hear one side (4 cyl), it sounds wierd.

I have pointed to my wife. She has less of a problem with it than me. Says it's just like all the other performance exhausts we have had. Worst was a Suburban with loud Magnaflows. Third seat passengers damn near passed out from the noise, but those of us in front thought it was kool.

Try and think of it as saving you $$$$$$ and maybe it won't be so bothersome.

RRM

G8Smitty
08-15-2008, 08:52 AM
I definitely have strange vibrations which causes all kind of rattles. I hate the way AFM sounds through Magnaflows too. My first order of business when I get the dough for HP Tuners is to shut that off. I'd much rather pay for fuel then have to listen to that.

EcoBrick Bob
08-15-2008, 08:56 AM
Just manually keep the thing above 2500RPM!!!

Works every time I try it!

RRM

-Ray-
08-15-2008, 09:08 AM
I definitely have strange vibrations which causes all kind of rattles. I hate the way AFM sounds through Magnaflows too. My first order of business when I get the dough for HP Tuners is to shut that off. I'd much rather pay for fuel then have to listen to that.

I know it sounds like ass, but it helps me to keep it in AFM. That's important to me considering how many miles I have to drive.
I haven't heard it yet with the headers on though.

G8Smitty
08-15-2008, 10:27 AM
I understand how it would be positive for those who must drive long distances, but for me it sucks. I typically motor around town dropping kids off and going to work, so I'm rarely on the highway. My typical MPG average (last 1000) is 14 to 16, so DoD isn't active for me often, but enough for me not to like it. I'm a prime candidate for the GXP.

GRRRR8
08-15-2008, 02:33 PM
Smitty use manual modes in the city when possible. 1 its more fun to drive and it stops a lot of the irritation.

G8GTlawride
08-18-2008, 05:05 PM
I placed the console in diag mode so that I can see when the AFM say FULL or HALF.
Everytime it switches to HALF I feel the vibration.
Appears to be worse on lower speeds. RPM is allways below 2K.
Kind of sounds like a manual running too low an RMPM for gear.

I feel a slight vibration. Just ignore it though. How, if I may ask, did you place your DIC in that mode? Is that the process of holding in the left thumbwheel and starting the car?

wreckwriter
08-18-2008, 05:06 PM
How, if I may ask, did you place your DIC in that mode? Is that the process of holding in the left thumbwheel and starting the car?

Yup. Engineering mode.

G8GT594
08-18-2008, 06:43 PM
Smitty use manual modes in the city when possible. 1 its more fun to drive and it stops a lot of the irritation.

Yes doing this is a must. What DOD ha! Then only time my car is in Drive mode is when i have the girl with me because she does not like her head hitting the head rest all the time! :bump2:

GTPaul
08-19-2008, 08:11 AM
I noticed that if I do M4-M5 It still goes into AFM, but the vibration stops and mpgs are not effected.

From my understanding, AFM should not come on when in manual. Once you get HPT, you can see that the settings for AFM are not active when in manual mode. I never tried to see what engineering mode said when in manual.

jnak
08-19-2008, 04:43 PM
I've never noticed my car going into DOD mode...I've been trying to watch for it but can never tell.

-Ray-
08-20-2008, 05:42 AM
Hold down the left roller switch on the left side of the steering wheel then turn the key on. You can use the same roller to switch between the various settings. When you see Active Fuel management, stop. :)

jnak
08-20-2008, 06:32 AM
Great, one more thing to play with while I'm driving.

:woohoo:

GRRRR8
08-20-2008, 07:15 AM
Mine does go into DOD in M4.

-Ray-
08-20-2008, 09:06 AM
Mine does go into DOD in M4.

I've noticed that as well on mine.

jnak
08-20-2008, 01:29 PM
Hold down the left roller switch on the left side of the steering wheel then turn the key on. You can use the same roller to switch between the various settings. When you see Active Fuel management, stop. :)

Does the Dashawk provide the information shown in the Engineering mode, on demand?

wreckwriter
08-20-2008, 01:31 PM
Does the Dashawk provide the information shown in the Engineering mode, on demand?

Some of it, not all.