PDA

View Full Version : G8 Powertrain Warranty Work @ 80k miles - Very Pleased

SRG963
02-08-2012, 05:39 AM
January 28th, I was giving her a quick hand detail and decided to pull her up on the ramps for some under carriage cleaning as well. After pulling her up on the ramps, I noticed the rear main seal had started leaking/dripping on my garage floor. We spotted the leak years ago (40-50k ago), but was waiting for a good leak/drip to appear before I took her in.

January 30th, I took her to Jeff at Arnold Palmer Cadillac for warranty work. I was lucky enough to buy out my lease through them, so I am able to use them for warranty work. Most Cadillac dealerships will advise you to take your car to a Chevy/Buick dealership for Pontiac warranty work.

Below is the list I gave Jeff, my service writer:

1. Oil Leak - Rear Main Seal. (Noticed leak at 40k, just started dripping at 80k.) Car requires 8.8 Quarts Of Fully Synthetic oil. If engine or transmission is removed, please replace motor mounts and transmission mounts with new revised GM parts.

2. Loud engine tick on cold start up - (Noticed tick at purchase, was told normal operation. Since then, GM has revised lifters covered under warranty)

3. Clunk or Pop in the transmission, after cold start up, shifting Park to reverse, Park to Drive, Reverse to Drive, or Drive to Reverse.

I got a newish loaded up 2011 Cadillac DTS (non-Performance model) to drive while they were working on my baby. Heated/cooled massaging seats, heated steering wheel, automatic brights and turn lights.... As much as I loved all the bells and whistles the Caddy had, I'm much happier driving my G8.

January 30th (3 hours after initial drop off), Jeff called me to let me know that everything on my list will be taken care of, and anything else they find needing replaced will be done.

February 4th, Got a call from my service writer Jeff, letting me know that the car will be ready Monday afternoon.

February 6th, Got a call around 3:30, Jeff was letting me know the car was ready for pick up.

Paperwork states:
New oil pan gasket, new rear main seal, found a leak in AC fitting and replaced, new engine and tranny mounts, all engine lifters were replaced. They found the car had "double engauge" when moving from reverse to drive, checked parameters with tech 2, all were good. Line pressure normal, fluid ok, removed valve body/module assembly and found seals from valve body to transmission case were distorted and leaking, replaced transmission seals, refill fluid, reset shift adapts.

After warranty work:
The car has never shifted as smooth as it does now, and the engine seems to be running extremely smooth. No more clunk into gear when cold (P-D, P-R), no more lifter tick on cold start ups (none what so ever), no more rough 2-3 manual shifts. It's like I got a brand new car! I'm very pleased with Arnold Palmer Cadillac!

I'm sure they aligned it to OEM specs at AP, but it's not the "semi-aggressive" alignment that I'm used to, so that's getting done Saturday morning. Can't wait till she's back to 100% so I can start really throwing her around corners again.

I love this car!

MeanGreenZ71
02-08-2012, 07:24 PM
Im looking for a good dealership to get a few issues looked at before my bumper to bumper runs out. Im guessing they wont take in any pontiacs that havent done business with them in the past? Im leary of some of the dealers in my area and the one small-town chevy dealer I contacted said I would be better off having it done at a dealer that used to sell pontiacs. Im very particular about my cars and I want a good tech that does things right without cutting corners....I also dont want to pick up my car and it have a scratch down the side or swirl marks in the paint where they gave it a "courtesy detail".... I have detailed cars for a while and I definitely dont want a 16 yr old wash boy using crappy products on my car. lol

SRG963
02-09-2012, 05:31 AM
IMO, It never hurts to ask. Visit your local Cadillac dealership and ask if they can perform warranty work on your Pontiac.

If they can't/won't service your G8, they may/should suggest another reputable dealership for warranty work.

I always have the service writer put a NO WASH card on my keys when at the dealership to avoid the free wash and scratch jobs.

MeanGreenZ71
02-09-2012, 06:42 PM
Talked to my local caddy dealer (Hendrick). They said they would work on it but I am still squeamish about any one of their 18 year old techs working on my "baby" much less taking it out for a test drive to ensure everything checks out ok.

pokey
02-09-2012, 07:12 PM
Awesome! good news SRG, glad you had a good experience...gives me some hope. I take mine in next week for it's last appt. before the bumper to bumper is over at the end of the month. I'm getting the air bag recall done and mention the ball joints / strut tower bushings. Also driveline vibration.. not sure if they will do anything but I'm going to make one more try before the warranty is up.

djchubbs
02-09-2012, 07:27 PM
It would be nice to have a dealer like that mine is extremely hard to deal with.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=42.106009,-87.889196

MongosG8
02-10-2012, 12:38 AM
Now if I can only get my dealer to do this to mine.

Glad it worked out for you SRG!

tchr49
02-10-2012, 03:15 AM
Good to know that even with all the horror stories posted that there are still some very good dealers and techs available.
Is that the Arnold Palmer we all know and love?

SRG963
02-11-2012, 07:53 AM
Arnold Palmer used to own it, couple years back he sold it to Sonic Automotive. Although most of the service people I knew are no longer employed there, I've very happy with the way they treated my car.

Seattle09GT
05-16-2012, 07:47 AM
I wish I lived close to Arnold Palmer Cadillac

GXPaycheck
05-16-2012, 02:42 PM
I don't trust Hendrick GMC Pontiac (Cary) since they screwed up my front end. If I use them again I will go to the Chevy side. I have had better luck at Leith, But they do not like mods.