PDA

View Full Version : Theres MPG threads, what about brand of gas?

Bo White
02-03-2012, 09:02 PM
Ive always played around with my vehicles the first 10k miles or so to see what brand runs the best. What brand are you running?
My last vehicle was a Dodge Ram with the HEMI and it ran good on BP and my 98 Z28 ran best on Chevron.
So far I have had anything that liked Shell, that stuff is like 20-30 miles to the tank less than any other brand by what Ive seen.

mikemaj82
02-03-2012, 11:08 PM
i really don't notice any difference in anything with different brands of gas. what exactly are you noticing? Recently I switched to the 93 Rotofab tune, and I get better mpg and the car runs smoother.

travis gore
02-04-2012, 04:21 AM
I always run BP not because it is better but it is the only place around here that has 93

Sent from the iPhone 4S

-Ray-
02-04-2012, 05:06 AM
I have found that BP always returns my best mileage. I will use shell if a BP isn't available.

Eidolon
02-04-2012, 05:13 AM
I use BP as well. I've never had any issues with it in any car. I'll second Ray. I consider Shell an acceptable substitute. Always name-brand, though. BP, Shell, or maybe Exxon.

I've stopped running Sheetz gas in any car I own, however, after it clogged an injector on my Subaru, resulting in a misfire code. Some injector cleaner and a few BP-only refills later and the code was gone.

Sent from my Droid Incredible using Tapatalk

Doug Hilliard
02-04-2012, 06:05 AM
I run Shell all the time due to their Top Tier Fuel status mainly (http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html); I don't know if it's really a big deal or not.

Bo White
02-04-2012, 06:24 AM
I've ran BP the two times I've filled so I will stay with em.

wreckwriter
02-04-2012, 06:43 AM
ExxonMobil or Chevron when I ran pump gas.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

tchr49
02-04-2012, 07:01 AM
BP 93
There are several stations close by and they're always competetive.
Must have a good shelf life, so far the car has done only about 3k per year.

DMVG8
02-04-2012, 07:04 AM
Whatevers cheapest, never had any pproblems running 87 octane from all kinds of gas stations up and down the east coast

TonyKarter
02-04-2012, 01:10 PM
Around here Mobil in Beaumont makes most of the gas. Friends at the plant say they ship it to almost everyone, regardless of the distributor. Shell is the only gas around here that I know for sure is not Mobil's. Possibly Citgo's too, but who wants to enrich that Chavez puke. They also tell me that some of the lesser distributors specify to pour as little as a quart of additive into a tanker truck. That's right...in some instances it it poured directly into the top of the tanker before filling. And we thought all that additive shit was rocket science. I tend to believe them. Some are operators in the cracking units and some work at Blending and Packing, where the stuff is shipped. I'm also told that these days they have long-term contracts putting the base synthetic blend oil (Mobil 1) in other labels using the other labels additives. I saw their mineral based oil being packaged in others containers back in the 70's...I got on my hands and knees and cleaned under those filling and packaging racks all summer long as part of college summer crews back them. I picked up many of other brands quart containers that had fallen out of the filling que. My Dad retired from there after 35 years and I worked there summers for various contractors to get through college. About the only thing that is different is the octane in the gas products. So it comes down to the additives and the quality and quantity of them that makes the gas or oil different.
I burn Exxon/Mobil, even though I know this. However, a month or so back I bought some Racetrack premium, and only because it was $3.17/gallon. Later that week I ran 12.533 on it, my PB...go figure.

Now, gas mileage. I'm running a 93 tune from Vector. Just this week I called Steve at Vector to inquire about an 89 tune to save some pennies for daily driving, putting the 93 back in for trips to Mexico. He said they only tune down to 91. He suggested that if I wanted to run 89 to reload my stock tune. Anyone running Vararam/LT/stock tune and 89?

PaFromFL
02-04-2012, 07:12 PM
There is no branded ethanol-free gas nearby, so I use unbranded ethanol-free 93 octane because my G8 sits unused for long periods. E10 filled my boat engine carburetor full of gritty crud while leaving the fuel filter perfectly clean. It also destroyed the fuel lines in my weedwackers and split the gas tank of my old lawnmower. Ethanol is one nasty solvent. I don't believe the propaganda that claims modern fuel pumps are not slowly degraded by ethanol.

TonyKarter
02-04-2012, 08:04 PM
How can we get unbranded ethanol-free gas?

PaFromFL
02-05-2012, 07:10 PM
How can we get unbranded ethanol-free gas?

A web search should turn up ethanol-free stations near your location. The closest one to me happens to be unbranded. Boaters, yard men, and anyone else who works with small engines may know where to find ethanol-free gas (or otherwise will be on a first name basis with the owners of repair shops). Ethanol-free gas is expensive, but may save money in the long run (like stainless steel hardware near salt water).

-Ray-
02-06-2012, 04:20 AM
http://pure-gas.org/