PDA

View Full Version : Dealership visit tomorrow, needs some help!

Swiguy
01-27-2012, 05:18 PM
So I've had my 09 G8 GT since September and I've had a few minor issues. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love this car but I want it to be as "perfect" as possible before I'm out of warranty (less than 2000km left...). Anyhow, I'm taking it for a few issues:

1) Steering related noise at slow speed or stopped. Maybe tie rods, LCAs or steering linkage? Not sure, it sounds like a creaking type noise... seems to be worse during colder temps. Any thoughts?

2) I did some forum browsing and it seems like a fairly common issue. I have a rattle noise in my driver side door which seems to be resolved by adjusting the actuator that controls the door striker. This should be dealt with under warranty.

3) This one is hard to pinpoint. I have an annoying buzzing noise when I'm traveling about 80-90kph. I can't pinpoint exactly where this damn buzz is coming from but it sounds like passenger side dash board area. Any thoughts as to where I should start looking to stop this buzz?

That's about it... I'm pretty anal when it comes to my car so I would like to get everything sorted prior to my warranty expiring.

Thanks for any input!

Swiguy
01-30-2012, 09:34 AM
Just an update, I took my G8 in this weekend and the dealership will be replacing the striker in my driver's side door to resolve issue #2. Issue #1 and #3 I got the infamous "unable to produce problem" so they did nothing for those issues.

I did some more testing regarding issue #1 (steering noise) and it sounds like I only get this noise when there is snow on the ground. When it's dry or wet... no noise, snow I get some strange steering related noise at low speed. Perhaps it's just the tires rubbing the snow? Maybe some snow is getting caught up in the wheel well somewhere. I've dug through the forums but haven't really seen anything about possible steering noise issues when it snows... any input on this guys?

For issue #3, I wonder if it's just a result of my cabin drone at certain speeds. The rattling could be a result of this cabin drone (low resonance vibrations) causing something to rattle a bit. I plan on modifying my exhaust shortly to make it drone free (replacing the stock mid muff with a Magnaflow mid muffler) so I'm hoping this resolves it.

SRG963
01-30-2012, 09:40 AM
Issue #3 happens at a specific speed? Do you have AFM engaged in your tune? When you notice the noise, does it go away after moving the shifter into manual mode?

My parking brake handle makes a little rattle noise every now and then. Going to tighten things up this weekend.

GRRRR8
01-30-2012, 09:42 AM
Parking brake lever and glove box door are common noises. The most common for your front end noise are the lower control arms and radius arms.

Swiguy
01-30-2012, 10:13 AM
Issue #3 happens at a specific speed? Do you have AFM engaged in your tune? When you notice the noise, does it go away after moving the shifter into manual mode?

My parking brake handle makes a little rattle noise every now and then. Going to tighten things up this weekend.

I'm almost positive the buzzing noise occurs regardless if AFM is engaged. The buzzing noise is most noticeable between 80-90kph... I'll try driving manual only on my way home tonight to eliminate AFM as the culprit. Right now I'm leaning towards my drone as causing some the buzzing. I'll report back.

Parking brake lever and glove box door are common noises. The most common for your front end noise are the lower control arms and radius arms.

I'll tighten up the PB lever and the glove box this week and see if that helps. Are you sure my issue would be a result of LCA problems? My steering sounds perfectly fine in dry/wet conditions. I only hear noise when there is snow on the ground hence the reason why I thought maybe it's my tires or snow getting caught up in the wheel well... possibly snow causing some issues with the LCAs or something?

SRG963
01-30-2012, 10:17 AM
Are you sure my issue would be a result of LCA problems? My steering sounds perfectly fine in dry/wet conditions. I only hear noise when there is snow on the ground hence the reason why I thought maybe it's my tires or snow getting caught up in the wheel well... possibly snow causing some issues with the LCAs or something?

Collapsed strut mounts possibly could cause the noise your describing, along with the LCA's.
Look under your hood to measure the gap between your strut top and the body of the car.

There is supposed to be a slight gap, but not much. Here's how they should look.
http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab359/SRGSRG963/G8%20-%20Under%20Hood/P7060563.jpg
http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab359/SRGSRG963/G8%20-%20Under%20Hood/P7060562.jpg

SRG963
01-30-2012, 10:21 AM
Collapsed strut mounts look like this.

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll187/jstick81/strutbushingsright.jpg
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll187/jstick81/DSC_0068-1.jpg

vert
01-30-2012, 10:40 AM
So I've had my 09 G8 GT since September and I've had a few minor issues. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love this car but I want it to be as "perfect" as possible before I'm out of warranty (less than 2000km left...). Anyhow, I'm taking it for a few issues:
3) This one is hard to pinpoint. I have an annoying buzzing noise when I'm traveling about 80-90kph. I can't pinpoint exactly where this damn buzz is coming from but it sounds like passenger side dash board area. Any thoughts as to where I should start looking to stop this buzz?
That's about it... I'm pretty anal when it comes to my car so I would like to get everything sorted prior to my warranty expiring.
Thanks for any input!
Has your car always been making the buzzing sound or did it start once the colder temp started? I have had 2 areas that made an annoying noise, sunglasses holder and the worst was the passenger side kick panel that is part of the console. Where panel edge meets the console is where it would vibrate and make a buzz sound. Next time you are driving, run your hand from your shifter down to the passenger side of the panel and see if it stops.

JL-KA
01-30-2012, 01:09 PM
Typical dealer response. We have noise from the glove box but that's about it.

Snakey
01-30-2012, 03:42 PM
#3 - Check under the hood where the cabin filter is. I had a couple missing push pins and that was allowing the cowl cover to buzz.

Swiguy
01-30-2012, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the suggestions folks. I'll take a look at my strut mounts and see if they are collapsed. Also, I'll take a look at the suggested locations to resolve my buzzing noise. Thanks again for the help :)

I'll post updates sometime tomorrow hopefully.

Swiguy
01-31-2012, 09:15 AM
Collapsed strut mounts possibly could cause the noise your describing, along with the LCA's.
Look under your hood to measure the gap between your strut top and the body of the car.

There is supposed to be a slight gap, but not much. Here's how they should look.
http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab359/SRGSRG963/G8%20-%20Under%20Hood/P7060563.jpg
http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab359/SRGSRG963/G8%20-%20Under%20Hood/P7060562.jpg

I think you might be right, here are pics of my driver side and passenger side strut mounts (in order):

By the looks of it, I would say both look collapsed...

SRG963
01-31-2012, 09:24 AM
I think you might be right, here are pics of my driver side and passenger side strut mounts (in order):
By the looks of it, I would say both look collapsed...

Yes, those are collapsed, and should be covered under 3y/36 bumper to bumper warranty.

I suggest Poly strut mounts if you have to pay out of pocket.

Swiguy
01-31-2012, 09:39 AM
Yes, those are collapsed, and should be covered under 3y/36 bumper to bumper warranty.

I suggest Poly strut mounts if you have to pay out of pocket.

I figured that was the case, the dealership is so useless... I'm not a mechanic but I have decent car knowledge and knew something was up with the steering/suspension... be it LCA, tie rods, struts etc. lots of components to suspension so I figured it was something like that. You figure the dealership should at least quickly check all suspension components. If they did that you think they would notice collapsed struts (pretty obvious once you take a quick look).

Anyway, I still have some warranty so they will definitely be replacing them at their cost... damn I need a new dealership... unfortunately the only one around me that is decent is about an hour away.

-Ray-
01-31-2012, 03:12 PM
I drive 40 miles to get my G8 serviced.

todds87ss
02-01-2012, 07:35 AM
for the buzzing, also try the overhead console. By buzzes like crazy when AFM kicks in.

Swiguy
02-07-2012, 09:08 AM
Will do, I'll be giving my car a good look over this weekend and hopefully fix the buzz myself. It would be like pulling teeth to try and get the dealership to fix it. I just hope the dealership doesn't try and screw me over on this steering noise issue. I have 1500km left on my warranty... I'm sure my whole suspension will need to be replaced once I take it in out of warranty.

todds87ss
02-08-2012, 06:26 AM
IF they say the strut mounts are not a problem, request they take a ride height measurement. If it's low in the front (which it will be if the mounts are bad), they should replace them.

Swiguy
02-09-2012, 08:34 AM
IF they say the strut mounts are not a problem, request they take a ride height measurement. If it's low in the front (which it will be if the mounts are bad), they should replace them.

Sounds good, I'll be sure to mention that when I go in next. My door striker should be in soon so I'll get them to look at my suspension issue too... 1400km left on warranty...

Also, I tightened up my glove box via the screws just under the silver trim piece but it didn't do anything for my buzzing noise. I'll try clamping down the cabin filter in the engine bay to see if that does it. Hopefully it's not something inside my damn airbag area.. I don't feel like taking apart my whole dash!

Swiguy
02-11-2012, 09:02 AM
Just an update, I just got back from the dealership and they installed the replacement door striker. That fixed my damn door clunk so one issue is resolved. Thankfully my suspension/steering noise was really bad today and the tech could hear it loud and clear. You guys were right, he said the strut mounts were shot and that's what was causing the suspension noise. Anyway, they have ordered some strut mounts so that should just about do it for my issues. I'll figure out the dash board noise myself since trying to get the dealership to figure it out would take way to much effort...

I'll try clamping down the cabin filter next for the dash noise.