PDA

View Full Version : Jet Performance - Powr-Flo Mass Air Sensor

pkeplinger@unitedcommunit
01-11-2009, 08:08 PM
Just like the 90 degree cats seem to be the big exhaust restriction, the MAS seems to be the restriction on the intake side? Anyone compared one of these with the stock Delco unit?

http://www.ajusa.com/details/index/141/JET/26069/0/0/0/JET%2069109/0/0/GT;%20V8;%206L;%20GAS

Maybe therehttp://http://www.ajusa.com/images/vendors/JET/lg/69109.jpg is a reason they do not post any flowbench results

GRRRR8
01-11-2009, 08:13 PM
Like anything on a newer car it would really need to be tuned for it. I never really saw a gain in any of these meters. I think I will try my MAF with the screen removed with the new combo as it will need to be tuned for heads/cam/vararam anyways.

jnak
01-11-2009, 08:55 PM
One of the G6ers was running a Jet MAF and he had a lot of problems with it.

Blackrider
01-11-2009, 10:28 PM
I'll never remove the screens out of my MAFs. They stabilize the airflow over the sensor. Removing the screen can sometimes cause erratic MAF readings. I know it was a huge issues on the G6's.

bwooten492
01-11-2009, 11:40 PM
I'll never remove the screens out of my MAFs. They stabilize the airflow over the sensor. Removing the screen can sometimes cause erratic MAF readings. I know it was a huge issues on the G6's.

agreed/ I have heard horror stories about that in LS1 cars.

-Ray-
01-12-2009, 03:55 AM
The air path will be much shorter in Charlies G8, at least he will be able to report any net effect.

GRRRR8
01-12-2009, 05:25 AM
Agreed. Depending the air kit. If the filter is on/very close to the end of the MAF and you recalibrate the MAF tables it is fine. I tried it in the G8 and it MUST have the tables recalibrated.

Robert@KBXPerformance
01-13-2009, 08:11 AM
Agreed. Depending the air kit. If the filter is on/very close to the end of the MAF and you recalibrate the MAF tables it is fine. I tried it in the G8 and it MUST have the tables recalibrated.

Correct. None of the Ford MAFs have the screen in front of the MAF wire element and they work just fine. Location of the MAFS and the items directly upstream of it become much more crucial. The goal here is to get as much of a laminar (smooth) airflow as possible. This means that within 12"-18" before the MAFS to have as few bends, size reductions, size increases, or other shape changes in the intake tube. It is also recommended to keep those transitions to a minimum for about 6" after the MAFS too. This will prevent any sort of pulsed backflow to occur which could skew readings. This becomes even more important with a blower, especially if the MAFS will be located post-blower rather than pre-blower. This also becomes more important when you have removed the MAFS screen.

When doing any sort of MAFS modification, replacing a MAFS with an aftermarket one, or MAFS screen removal your MAFS calibration will be off. This can range anywhere from just a little bit to being off by a large margin. The computer will be thinking that it is getting X amount of g/cyl (airmass) when it is really ingesting a different amount. This resulting difference will throw fueling and spark off. This is because the computer does a backwards calculation comparing the desired WOT AFR with the airmass it "sees" coming into the engine. Spark advance is also based upon airmass and engine RPM so if the MAF calibration is wrong then the computer will see an incorrect airmass and apply the wrong spark. In some cases this can lead to knock and even worse failures if not recalibrated. With proper recalibration via the MAF calibration table this can be taken care of and the VCM will indeed see actual incoming airmass and correctly backwards calculate WOT fueling and spark upon that.

Nothing to lose sleep over. Just have to make sure that when doing changes of the nature I mentioned above that the proper procedures are taken to recalibrate everything back into sync.

GTPprix
01-13-2009, 08:26 AM
JET = scam, seriously.

13 QTR
01-20-2009, 05:26 AM
GRANATELLI has a maf out now. It claims it's 'calibrated' for your application with cold air tuning. Claims 60% more flow over the stock unit. From 8 to 25hp gain on a dyno...depending on your application.
It's a little pricey.....would like to try it...but don't want to be the 1st.

GRRRR8
01-20-2009, 05:39 AM
Another "gimick" MAF. Not saying there might not be a small gain, but that will be after tuning for it.

SRG963
01-20-2009, 05:39 AM
Not totally unrelated, but is there a screen in the new Camaro? I don't remember seeing one in the engine pictures I've seen. Anyone know?

GTPprix
01-20-2009, 06:18 AM
Not totally unrelated, but is there a screen in the new Camaro? I don't remember seeing one in the engine pictures I've seen. Anyone know?

Yes.

-Ray-
01-20-2009, 06:19 AM
Isn't it going to be the same MAF Chris?

GTPprix
01-20-2009, 06:21 AM
The ones I've seen so far are so more than likely yes.

SRG963
01-20-2009, 06:39 AM
Doesn't look anything like ours, the maf is plugged in on the side outlet of the air box.
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm227/srg963/10%20Camaro%20SS/100_2465.jpg
Maybe they are using a screen on the inside of the air box?

GTPprix
01-20-2009, 06:43 AM
Its the same element/connector just mounted right into the housing instead of its own housing.

Kirk@VectorMotorsports
01-20-2009, 06:52 AM
Doesn't look anything like ours, the maf is plugged in on the side outlet of the air box.
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm227/srg963/10%20Camaro%20SS/100_2465.jpg
Maybe they are using a screen on the inside of the air box?

That is the cartridge style used in the new Corvettes.

Slizzo
01-20-2009, 11:56 AM
So, theoretically, if one wanted an aftermarket air cleaner, would a G8 MAF work fine for an otherwise stock Camaro?

UGotSmkd
01-20-2009, 02:46 PM
Correct. None of the Ford MAFs have the screen in front of the MAF wire element and they work just fine.

Which Ford are you referring to? My Mustang had the screen in front of the MAF, which I took off. I never had any issue with it out.

Robert@KBXPerformance
01-21-2009, 10:53 AM
GRANATELLI has a maf out now. It claims it's 'calibrated' for your application with cold air tuning. Claims 60% more flow over the stock unit. From 8 to 25hp gain on a dyno...depending on your application.
It's a little pricey.....would like to try it...but don't want to be the 1st.

That "calibrated" claim is bs. While they may be flowed to output similar Hz at a given airflow they still will need custom tuning. The MAF makers that claim their MAF's are drop in without any need for tuning are misleading people. It may be somewhat close but only real world datalogging of WOT AFR's will tell. Precalibrated MAF's and no tuning are not the way to go if you want a reliable and safe combo. If you want to change to a different MAF's for whatever reason it will be best to recalibrate the correct way through real-world datalogging and actual computer retuning.

Which Ford are you referring to? My Mustang had the screen in front of the MAF, which I took off. I never had any issue with it out.

I have worked on allot of Mustang's plus other Fords and I never noticed any that had screens in front of their stocker MAF's. In addition to that none of the popular aftermarket MAF's that most Ford owners use (SCT BA series and PMAS to name a few) have screens in front of the MAFS wire element whether they be in an older tonsil style type or a newer card/slot style MAFS.