PDA

View Full Version : Headers Coatings??

zosoboogie
01-11-2009, 05:47 PM
So I have bought a Christmas/birthday/next Christmas present for myself and anyway it is the Haddad Motorsports Stage 2 Magnacharger Package and I was pondering weather I should get the headers jet coated?

The reason wasn't necessarily for the looks in the engine bay but mostly to dissipate heat under the hood, Any suggestions???

third_shift|studios
01-11-2009, 06:37 PM
how long have you had them? They might have allready begun to deteriorate, and then the shop would have to sandblast them down to a clean slate removing existing metal in the process, to PC them. This will thin-down your headers and could excellerate wear.

So, if they have allready rusted-replace them in a few years when they fail. if they have little or no rust, you might be in luck. If that is the case, PM me b/c I have a great contact who does header coatings in St. Cloud, FL.

GM_Fan
01-11-2009, 06:45 PM
I'd say go for it on the coating. The reduction of heat and added looks is well worth it. IMO.

MGMG8GT
01-11-2009, 07:10 PM
Nice couple of Christmas presents there!

I need to follow this line of reasoning with my wife I think....

zosoboogie
01-11-2009, 11:19 PM
I didnt get them in the mail yet, Do I jet coat the headers or is it a waste in money

-Ray-
01-12-2009, 04:12 AM
I didnt get them in the mail yet, Do I jet coat the headers or is it a waste in money

We have a thread in the detailing section on powder coating. I provided a link to a company in Indianapolis. Check out their web site to see the kinds of coatings possible. You may be able to follow suit in your area.

GeorgeInNePa
01-12-2009, 05:47 AM
ARH has said they see no benefit to coating their headers.

DarkPhoenix
01-12-2009, 03:17 PM
Like George said, the quality stainless steel headers that our sponsors offer do not require any coatings for longevity. Coatings do claim to help keep the heat inside the exhaust gas and not in your engine bay. In forced induction applications coatings are helpful because of the extra heat from the supercharger.

edmanet
01-13-2009, 06:22 AM
I was told by a retailer that the Kooks really don't need a coating because they're made from 409 stainless. He also went on to say that if the header is made from 309 stainless that you should consider coatings.

zosoboogie
01-13-2009, 09:26 AM
i have decided not to coat the headers

Tom@ARH
01-13-2009, 05:18 PM
This is our take a coatings as posted by Nick on another board

Guys, Contrary to what's been said on this forum I'd like to take a moment to clear the air. I posted this on another thread but it bares repeating.
There's absolutely no reason to coat ARH headers. Can we do it? Yes. Have we done it and continue to do it? Of course. Is it necessary? No. While it may be necessary to coat certain materials for corrosion resistance, for some it's done because their trying to cover up something that isn't stainless. Believe me, this happens quite often. In our industry we call it "cutting corners".

Stainless by design holds the heat in extremely well. We've sold thousands of headers to date and we've never had a single heat related problem. When we use coatings it's usually for high boost turbo or blown applications where heat can reach levels far beyond what any street driven vehicle can produce. In those applications we use Swain Tech header coatings as they are by far the very best for extreme conditions. The only other circumstances that demands coatings is on the rare occasion we custom build something using mild steel. One thing that separates us from other header manufacturers is that we leave no stone unturned. We use the highest grade U.S. made 304 S/S for 2 reasons. 1. because it's extremely durable. 2. because coatings are unnecessary.
Ask yourselves this, when was the last time you looked under the hood of any exotic sportscar with factory tubular headers and saw coatings used? I rest my case.

DarkPhoenix
01-14-2009, 05:51 PM
I was told by a retailer that the Kooks really don't need a coating because they're made from 409 stainless. He also went on to say that if the header is made from 309 stainless that you should consider coatings.

the numbers are reversed, Kooks are made from 304 stainless steel.