PDA

View Full Version : DIY: install 160 t stat

Joeygr8gt
01-13-2012, 05:54 AM
Ordered one and look at pointer online can't find any for our car? Any step by step instructions and pointers for changing this

95_9C1
03-20-2012, 12:55 PM
why would you want to change the t-stat ?

oesman
03-20-2012, 03:59 PM
A lot of people like to run a lower temp t-valve because it can help with ECT (engine coolant temperature) especially in combination with an EWP (electric water pump) with a drilled out t-valve. With that setup on some cars you may need to disable SES code(s). I'm curious about it too for the G8, I did this on my f-body and liked it. Geforce here in Houston seems to recommend it as part of their "packages" for most GMs they tune, but it's probably easy enough to do on your own.

I'll pulled info from manual to show the procedure, here is what the manual says:

1. Disconnect the battery ground cable from the battery.

2. Ensure engine is below 50°C before removing the coolant pressure cap.

3. Remove the radiator air baffle and deflector.

4. Remove the air intake duct.

5. Raise and support the vehicle.

6. Drain the coolant into a suitable container.

7. Lower the vehicle.

8. Release the retaining hose clamp and detach the hose from the thermostat housing end.

9. Remove the thermostat housing to water pump retaining bolts, and remove thermostat housing.

10. If the housing is to be replaced, discard the O-ring.

11. Place thermostat housing in a soft jaw vice.

12. Press and rotate the springs of the thermostat to release it from the thermostat housing.

13. Remove the old thermostat from the thermostat housing.

14. Place the new thermostat assembly into the thermostat housing.

15. Install the thermostat by rotating and locking it into the thermostat housing.

16. Ensure all mating surfaces are thoroughly cleaned, using only a fine abrasive material.

17. Install the thermostat housing.

18. Install the thermostat housing to water pump retaining bolts and tighten to 14 Nm (124 lb in).

19. Install the hose to the thermostat housing by opening the retaining hose clamp and securing it over the hose.

20. Install the radiator air baffle and deflector. Refer to Radiator Air Upper Baffle and Deflector Replacement.

21. Install the air intake duct.

22. Fill the cooling system.

23. Connect the battery ground cable to the battery.

24. Inspect cooling system for leaks.

vert
03-21-2012, 04:21 PM
Ordered one and look at pointer online can't find any for our car? Any step by step instructions and pointers for changing this

I did not do all of the steps listed above. You do not need to drain all of the coolant. Make sure the car is cool. Remove the radiator cap. Remove both of the thermostat housing bolts and pull housing away to expose thermostat. Make sure you notice the direction the thermstat is facing, remove old stat and place new stat into its location. Place housing back on and tighten the bolts to 11ft lbs. Fill the radiator up with coolant, start the car with the heater on high. While car is running, squeeze the radiator house to help burp out an air pockets and keep the radiator full.

oesman
03-22-2012, 05:02 PM
I did not do all of the steps listed above. You do not need to drain all of the coolant. Make sure the car is cool. Remove the radiator cap. Remove both of the thermostat housing bolts and pull housing away to expose thermostat. Make sure you notice the direction the thermstat is facing, remove old stat and place new stat into its location. Place housing back on and tighten the bolts to 11ft lbs. Fill the radiator up with coolant, start the car with the heater on high. While car is running, squeeze the radiator house to help burp out an air pockets and keep the radiator full.

Cool I was just posting instructions from the manual, I'm sure there are better ways. They want you to take half the car apart to change headlight bulbs according to that manual, instead of just popping the wheels off =D.

vert
03-23-2012, 03:42 AM
Cool I was just posting instructions from the manual, I'm sure there are better ways. They want you to take half the car apart to change headlight bulbs according to that manual, instead of just popping the wheels off =D.
I figured it was from the manual since it goes overboard on some repairs. Some like to do it by the book. I'm glad you posted it up, the more how to post we get, the better off we all are.

Joeygr8gt
03-24-2012, 07:37 AM
what coolant is everyone using?

vert
03-24-2012, 08:42 AM
I just use dex-cool. You can buy it already mixed at 50/50 or concentrated. If you by it concentrated, make sure you use distilled water when you mix it. Once I am done with my cam install I am going to add waterwetter to my dex-cool.

Joeygr8gt
03-27-2012, 07:36 AM
went to change it out and it didn't fit the housing. are there different sizes?

TooManyHobbies
03-27-2012, 08:14 AM
The thermostat for a 2009.5 is different than the thermostat for a 2009. They changed the water pump design. The 2009.5 thermostat is slightly larger in diameter.

Joeygr8gt
03-27-2012, 08:21 AM
how much larger r we talking? I have a 09.5

mypopsg8gt
01-25-2021, 03:56 PM
how do you know if it is a 2009 or 2009.5?

MongosG8
01-27-2021, 04:37 PM
how do you know if it is a 2009 or 2009.5?

Check this thread out.

https://g8nation.com/showthread.php?t=40625