PDA

View Full Version : Line lock install?

DCC Justin
01-04-2012, 08:55 PM
I couldn't find much info on installing an SJM line lock. I'll be knocking this out this weekend. How tough is the install? My wrenching skills are limited but I have done my maggie and headers- how does the line lock install compare?

I'm a little intimidated about working on my brakes... Any tips?

travis gore
01-05-2012, 02:16 AM
It is not bad to do at all. I am on my phone right now but there is a thread that will show you how to do this. When I get to a computer I will find the link

Sent from the iPhone 4S

-Ray-
01-05-2012, 03:31 AM
I couldn't find much info on installing an SJM line lock. I'll be knocking this out this weekend. How tough is the install? My wrenching skills are limited but I have done my maggie and headers- how does the line lock install compare?

I'm a little intimidated about working on my brakes... Any tips?

Make sure the line lock cylinder is low enough so it doesn't hit the hood blanket. Push it down.

1meand
01-05-2012, 04:16 AM
If you have done a maggie and headers, the line lock will be easy. I used these threads:
http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=10534&highlight=line+lock
http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=9696&highlight=Video+park

DCC Justin
01-05-2012, 11:55 AM
What did you guys use for power? I don't want to use the cigarette lighter because I've blown that fuse before using it for a nitrous arming switch. I'd prefer to have it hard wired, I guess either to a fuse in the footwell or directly back to the battery. Thoughts?

travis gore
01-05-2012, 04:53 PM
It would be easier to get power from the fuse box then the battery. I personally would do it like the link that Dan posted. You can remove it when not using it.

Thanks for posting the link Dan

Sent from the iPhone 4S

-Ray-
01-06-2012, 04:07 AM
What did you guys use for power? I don't want to use the cigarette lighter because I've blown that fuse before using it for a nitrous arming switch. I'd prefer to have it hard wired, I guess either to a fuse in the footwell or directly back to the battery. Thoughts?

I used the cig lighter. Didn't have any problems using that.

DCC Justin
01-14-2012, 10:50 PM
95% of the install was a piece of cake. The other 5% was a big pita... My recommendations for anyone else doing this are:

You might think its the simplest part, but mounting the solenoid was the hardest part... Getting a straight-on angle to drilling the pilot holes was basically impossible without either removing the fuse box or using an angle drill. Rather than tell you about how I got through that ordeal, I'll just say- do what I should've done and just use an angle drill....

Also, the wiring was simple but the quality of the connectors/fuse holder/splitter were garbage. They were those crappy plastic things that you can't even heat shrink... I didn't use that crap- I just soldered everything and used heat shrink and liquid electrical tape for added protection.

The momentary push button they include in the kit was flimsy plastic and mine broke inexplicably. The button part came loose from its base so pushing the button didn't do anything. I ended up making a trip to autozone to get a new one.

I ran the wiring under the rubber strip that runs along the back of the engine bay and then through the plug in the driver's footwell then sealed it up nice with some ultra black rtv. I ran four extra wires at the same time for future projects (gauges, wideband, etc) and zip-tied them out of the way behind the plastic panel covering the footwell fuse box.

Other than that it was all pretty easy. Took probably 2-3 hrs total, but about an hour of that was fighting those friggin mounting holes.

I tested it out today and lost about $50 worth of rubber in about 10 seconds. That was fun. :)

travis gore
01-15-2012, 02:11 AM
^yep not very easy to drill the holes and mount it.good to hear that you were able to do the install

-Ray-
01-15-2012, 04:18 AM
I just noticed that my line lock was leaking. All the paint below it is bubbled.

DCC Justin
01-15-2012, 06:02 PM
I just noticed that my line lock was leaking. All the paint below it is bubbled.

That's not good. We're you able to get it fixed? I was a little concerned that none of the fittings had any tape or sealant- it is leaking from the fittings?

hartigan85
01-16-2012, 11:54 AM
The fittings don't need any tape or sealant on them because the flare on the line is what seals not the threads. If its leaking then the fitting is loose. the flare has a crack in it, or the flare wasn't made right causing it not to make a good seal. I check mine periodically and so far not a drop.

-Ray-
01-16-2012, 05:32 PM
That's not good. We're you able to get it fixed? I was a little concerned that none of the fittings had any tape or sealant- it is leaking from the fittings?

I'm going to remove it and call SJM.