Purchased From: (URL) www.billetprototypes.com
Installation: (Use easy, moderate, involved, or difficult)Easy
Installation Time:2 hrs
Any Installation Tips You Have: (optional) see comments
Quality of Part: (rate 1-10)10
Product Performance: (rate 1-10)
Would you Recommend to Others:Yes with notes
Any Other Comments:

This catch can kit is a strange mixture of exquisite and WTF?

Ordered on Jan 4, received Jan 10. Had to email James to get the USPS tracking number since the automated store generated reply was totally useless, as was the store website it sent me to.

The catch can itself is heavy and just beautiful. Whoever made this is obviously an expert. In the top part there is what looks like really thick steel wool and a perforated disk holding everything in. The bottom half is a can and the two pieces screw together.

The machining is absolutely perfect. I could not find a flaw, and I was looking hard.

Now here are the criticisms.

If you look at it closely, there are flaws in the (clear) anodizing but you have to really be looking at it under a strong light. They missed a couple of spots.

The brass hose fittings look like they were screwed in until they bottomed out and who cares what direction they were pointing. I didn't like how they were setup, so I unscrewed them, teflon taped them and screwed them back in. This made them point in the correct direction.

(I'm not big fan of brass screwed directly into aluminum, which was another reason for the teflon tape)

The kit also contained a length of Gates fuel line (3/8" I think), one hose clamp, one star washer and one locknut.

WFT? One hose clamp? Try as I might I couldn't get that one clamp to go around all 4 hose connections. Maybe it's just me.

The Gates hose is correcly sized (I.D.) but seems to be much heavier (thicker) than is necessary. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on this one since I don't know if a more appropriately sized hose is available.

The slot in the can support is supposed to go on one of the air box holddown bolts. The problem is that the slot in the support is much much wider than the bolt it is supposed to attach to. And the star washer is does not reach from one side of the slot to the other since the slot is too wide.

And why a star washer AND and a locknut? WTF? A wide flat washer and a locknut would be more correct, and useful. (Actually, cutting the slot the correct width would have solved the problem, too.)

I won't describe the installation since there are other threads here that do so.

Overall, the can is a very nice piece but rest of the kit is far below the standards set by the catch can. Plan on supplying your own hardware.

Chewy
01-10-2009, 05:19 PM
To add to Tom's review!

I guess I didn't put mine under quite as powerful of a magnify glass. I found the quality VERY high as well. I would of rather had stainless fittings to to keep with the aluminum look I have. The hose is large but fits well and was long enough for the way I ran it.

Overall it's a great product and I highly recommend it.

I would have liked to see instructions with photo's added to the order as I had to come here to figure out how to install it all.

I added 3 clamps to make it look more uniform. Are they needed? Probably not, but hoses don't look right if they aren't finished with a clamp. I will probably buy some fittings to clean up the look at a later time.

The fact of the matter is... THE CAN WORKS!

WELL!

G8GTlawride
01-10-2009, 05:38 PM
My install is written about elsewhere. The can itself is top notch IMO. The brass fitings did not point in exactly the same direction but not enough to worry about. I did not use any clamps as I used the factory intake snap-on fitting that has the same serrated barb as the fittings on the can. The supplied hose was large but that is because it is "Heater Hose". It is thicker than fuel hose. I did not use it. All in all, great product, bugs to work out but entirely functional.

jamesbiz
01-11-2009, 06:39 AM
See guys, this is what I like to hear. Constructive criticism for in case there are any bugs to work out. As with any product, there are always bugs to work out on the initial run.

Now to respond to the comments. I just checked every single can I have in stock and each one had the fittings pointing in the same direction, so I'm not sure about that one. The fittings were not screwed in until bottomed out, and were not just put in with out a care for what direction they were facing. Trust me on that one. The only thing I can think of was a haste in getting out the pre order after having a lot of worry some people message me to hurry up with the pre order production. Everything is a ok now

The anodize. Anodize does not miss any spots, as it is dipped and completely covered. Obviously under enough light you can see slight variances, but so is the nature with a part that has so much identical surface area. That is a completely outsourced part of the process tho, and as I try to have as much control in everything that goes into the production, sometimes there are just some things you can't completely control.

In the almost a 1000 I have sold, I have not shipped out a single one with a hose clamp. Only when I made the G8 can did I see a need for a hose clamp, and that was for the return line going into the intake. The barbed fittings and nipple coming out of the valve cover does NOT need nor require a hose clamp. Also the hose clamp that is supplied ( the first few didn't receive that even) is in a spot that is hidden and there for 4 clamps are not needed to complete the look.

No expenses were spared in the machining process as some of you have attested to, but some parts such as the standard brass fitting that is on most catch cans on the market was a cost necessity. I do plan on introducing more options, but obviously they will be more expensive and this was the only way I can make it the most cost effective for my customers.

The thickness of the hose is required for this kit which I have found out from previous experiences on other applications that required a large yet thinner walled hose. Also, no one has ever said anything to me about them, and there for I have never given it a second thought. I honestly don't think there is a thinner hose actually. Not that I have seen, unless you go with braided.

The slot is a little bit wide, but is there to avoid any GM inconsistencies which I have experienced before . It would work just fine with just the lock nut, but the reason I included a star washer was because I noticed that if someone was to pull on the catch can, the lock nut would actually turn to with the torsion of the bracket.

I hope I have answered all questions and or concerns, but if I did not, please bring them up. This is the first time I've even had people give REAL comments about my catch can, so I hope I did a good job responding to them. Again, as with any first time production of a product, there will always be some concerns, if not bugs to work out. If I had the car in my possession, then it might be perfect, but I had to work with what I had. But this is also why you got such a great deal on the pre order.

;) still the only G8 specific catch can on the market. Thanks guys for purchasing it.

jamesbiz
01-11-2009, 08:01 AM
Oh and the store generated response only gets sent out when I press the shipped button in the store. The email that ISN'T useless is the one you get from paypal with tracking info.

edmanet
01-13-2009, 06:52 AM
I did not use any clamps as I used the factory intake snap-on fitting that has the same serrated barb as the fittings on the can.

Can we see a photo of that ??? Did it pull off the factory plastic hose or did you have to cut it off ??? Or can that fitting be ordered from some where ??

Overall a good product. I would buy from James again. But I do have a few minor gripes:

- I didn't get a hose clamp
- No instructions
- no regular washer [the star gets bent into the slot when tightened]

G8GTlawride
01-13-2009, 08:34 AM
Can we see a photo of that ??? Did it pull off the factory plastic hose or did you have to cut it off ??? Or can that fitting be ordered from some where ??

Overall a good product. I would buy from James again. But I do have a few minor gripes:

- I didn't get a hose clamp
- No instructions
- no regular washer [the star gets bent into the slot when tightened]

I will take a photo tonight if I can. It is well hidden as you know and I will have to remove it to do so. I could not pry it off no matter what I did, including using boiling water to soften the plastic pipe. I had to cut the pipe off the fitting very carefully. I also ordered a back-up complete pipe and fitting as I want to have it in case I need to return to the original look. Using the factory snap on fitting allowed the hose to make less of a bend to go back in the direction of the can mounting location. It looked a little cleaner to me when routing the hose.

G8GTlawride
01-13-2009, 08:39 AM
See guys, this is what I like to hear. Constructive criticism for in case there are any bugs to work out. As with any product, there are always bugs to work out on the initial run.

Now to respond to the comments. I just checked every single can I have in stock and each one had the fittings pointing in the same direction, so I'm not sure about that one. The fittings were not screwed in until bottomed out, and were not just put in with out a care for what direction they were facing. Trust me on that one. The only thing I can think of was a haste in getting out the pre order after having a lot of worry some people message me to hurry up with the pre order production. Everything is a ok now

The anodize. Anodize does not miss any spots, as it is dipped and completely covered. Obviously under enough light you can see slight variances, but so is the nature with a part that has so much identical surface area. That is a completely outsourced part of the process tho, and as I try to have as much control in everything that goes into the production, sometimes there are just some things you can't completely control.

In the almost a 1000 I have sold, I have not shipped out a single one with a hose clamp. Only when I made the G8 can did I see a need for a hose clamp, and that was for the return line going into the intake. The barbed fittings and nipple coming out of the valve cover does NOT need nor require a hose clamp. Also the hose clamp that is supplied ( the first few didn't receive that even) is in a spot that is hidden and there for 4 clamps are not needed to complete the look.

No expenses were spared in the machining process as some of you have attested to, but some parts such as the standard brass fitting that is on most catch cans on the market was a cost necessity. I do plan on introducing more options, but obviously they will be more expensive and this was the only way I can make it the most cost effective for my customers.

The thickness of the hose is required for this kit which I have found out from previous experiences on other applications that required a large yet thinner walled hose. Also, no one has ever said anything to me about them, and there for I have never given it a second thought. I honestly don't think there is a thinner hose actually. Not that I have seen, unless you go with braided.

The slot is a little bit wide, but is there to avoid any GM inconsistencies which I have experienced before . It would work just fine with just the lock nut, but the reason I included a star washer was because I noticed that if someone was to pull on the catch can, the lock nut would actually turn to with the torsion of the bracket.

I hope I have answered all questions and or concerns, but if I did not, please bring them up. This is the first time I've even had people give REAL comments about my catch can, so I hope I did a good job responding to them. Again, as with any first time production of a product, there will always be some concerns, if not bugs to work out. If I had the car in my possession, then it might be perfect, but I had to work with what I had. But this is also why you got such a great deal on the pre order.

;) still the only G8 specific catch can on the market. Thanks guys for purchasing it.

James, I think the cans are top notch. No issues at all. On the barbed fittings one was just a little off compared to the other. Not a biggie at all. It looks perfect for that mounting location.

On the hose, I mention that as someone else said it was larger. The one with my can had Heater Hose written on it. It was a little thick to route where the original went so I went with the reinforced rubber fuel line. I will watch it closely to see if will collapse. I expect it won't but...

edmanet
01-13-2009, 02:05 PM
I will take a photo tonight if I can. It is well hidden as you know and I will have to remove it to do so. I could not pry it off no matter what I did, including using boiling water to soften the plastic pipe. I had to cut the pipe off the fitting very carefully. I also ordered a back-up complete pipe and fitting as I want to have it in case I need to return to the original look. Using the factory snap on fitting allowed the hose to make less of a bend to go back in the direction of the can mounting location. It looked a little cleaner to me when routing the hose.

What's the part number ???

G8GTlawride
01-13-2009, 04:41 PM

Yikes! I don't know. I have a contact with parts and just ordered it. I will have to check in the AM. On the pics, could not get to it. 0 for 2, my apologies. I will get the P/N tomorrow.

TouchOfGray
01-13-2009, 06:35 PM
So James' catch can came in the mail last night. I think the machining is excellent. Nice fit and finish on all parts (clear anodized, and it looks great).

As Chris has noted previously the lack of instructions is the only flaw I have found so far. I would not have known where to start without this site. Thanks to Chris and Wreckwriter for their posts and pictures. I think I spent more time reading through the posts and comparing the photos to the car than I did installing the can. With the New Era OTR there is plenty of room to mount the can on what used to be the intake mounts.

I did take the easy way out and cut the thermoplastic at the connection on the front of the motor. It's freaking 2 degrees out and bringing boiling water from the house to the garage seemed like a hassel. Tried the heat gun for a short time, but didn't feel I could control the direction enough to keep going. A little bit of "plastic cuttin" and good to go. I only used the one clamp provided with the kit, probablly will get back to it later and dress it out.

I will be driving around town the rest of this week, then it's off to VMS for a tune on Saturday. I will check the can after getting back. With the ride and the dyno I imagine there will be something in the can (milky white???).

Overall this looks like a very good product. With the help of the posts at this site the installation went very well. Thanks guys, and thanks James for making a can specific to our cars.

:cheers:

jamesbiz
01-13-2009, 08:00 PM
I'll get to work on the instructions tomorrow. lol I'm not sure what you guys are talking about with this boiling and heat gun thing. Or cutting of any plastic. :) I need to give you guys the real instructions.

wreckwriter
01-13-2009, 08:38 PM
I'll get to work on the instructions tomorrow. lol I'm not sure what you guys are talking about with this boiling and heat gun thing. Or cutting of any plastic. :) I need to give you guys the real instructions.

They're pulling the plastic line off the connector rather than just removing the connector and using hose all the way. not the way I chose to go but to each his own.............

wreckwriter
01-13-2009, 08:39 PM
With the ride and the dyno I imagine there will be something in the can (milky white???).:

Mine isn't milky white, its oil colored.... its oil..

jamesbiz
01-13-2009, 08:40 PM
They're pulling the plastic line off the connector rather than just removing the connector and using hose all the way. not the way I chose to go but to each his own.............

OHH you mean the heat sealed plastic tubing. Ok got it, thanks. I thought about it but once I saw how easy it is to press that little release and pull off the quick release connector, I saw no point. I was even considering having people splice into the plastic tube, but again, it was just to easy to remove that connector and wasn't worth the effort.

edmanet
01-14-2009, 04:21 AM
Yikes! I don't know. I have a contact with parts and just ordered it. I will have to check in the AM. On the pics, could not get to it. 0 for 2, my apologies. I will get the P/N tomorrow.

Just the part number would be fine. thanks

Chewy
01-14-2009, 06:07 AM
Yeah! NO CUTTING OF ANYTHING but the hose James supplies you!

Just push the white button (on the stock line) towards the front of the car to release and pull off. The back connection just wiggle and pull.

Mine is Milky white but you have to also remember I am driving mine in cold weather. I have a bit more condensation going on in there I think...

jamesbiz
01-14-2009, 07:20 AM
Yeah! NO CUTTING OF ANYTHING but the hose James supplies you!

Just push the white button (on the stock line) towards the front of the car to release and pull off. The back connection just wiggle and pull.

Mine is Milky white but you have to also remember I am driving mine in cold weather. I have a bit more condensation going on in there I think...

The only time I hear of it being milky white is in cold weathers, so yeah that's probably the culprit.

TouchOfGray
01-14-2009, 10:35 AM
Guess I missed the part about removing the connector. I'll have to look at it tonight. Might be better to run the hose all the way through. Probably have an easier angle to get to the hose clamp too. :oops:

jamesbiz
01-15-2009, 08:11 AM
OK guys, the install instructions are almost done.
http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9950 . If I get a section on this board lol then I'll put it there too.

G8GTlawride
01-15-2009, 09:43 AM

Here is the pic and the P/N. It is a lttle different than what was on engine from the factory, only that one bend is a lttle sharper. It would be the second bend from the factory snap on connector. I would get the replacement and cut it before cutting the original. $16.00 and took a week. Carefully cut the plastic tube away from the barbed fitting. Do not start your cut right after that last raised barb, you will cut some of the nipple. Add about 1/4" then cut. You'll see what I mean when you do.

Mods, please move this post if need be. Didn't know how to carry a quote!

jamesbiz
01-15-2009, 09:45 AM
you don't need to cut anything

G8GTlawride
01-15-2009, 09:56 AM
We know. He had asked about my particular install where I reused the original factory barbed fitting that snaps on the nipple on the intake manifold. In order to do that I had to cut the original plastic line off of that snap on fitting, as no amount of coaxing would allow me to separate the line from the fitting.

We understand that the hose you supply, simply slides on the nipple on the intake. I just did it a little different by using the factory connection on that point.

vipz28
01-16-2009, 06:19 PM
Ok dude just got mine in, and holy hell... You sir are anal. The "scratch" and "discoloration" on my scratch and dent can is a joke lol, it looks perfect. Took less than 10 minutes to install. I will be using a thinner tubing when I install the rotofab, but every thing you sent was perfect.

http://tehawesome.com/cars/catchcan/IMG_6063.JPG
http://tehawesome.com/cars/catchcan/IMG_6067.JPG
http://tehawesome.com/cars/catchcan/IMG_6068.JPG

G8 dude
01-24-2009, 12:40 PM
i have had my can now for several months....the install was good used 1 clamp at the intake.....my finish was great can works great and does what it is made to do catch the oil....its a great product as well as the other billet he sells which i have

flomofo
04-24-2009, 09:15 PM
just installed mine looks cool, but it didnt come with a hose clamp.

So if somebody can pm me with the answer to whether I need it or not, please let me know!

I thought the original ones actually didnt even come with one...I hope.

BigRob
04-24-2009, 09:42 PM
you can always roll to autozone and pick up a pack of 4 for like 2 bucks. i did all four connections just cuz

eggydoo
05-08-2009, 12:50 PM
over 3000 miles with it and no need for the hose clamp yet.
Not like its pressurized or anything.....

grandmacpubah
05-09-2009, 10:32 AM
Installed mine today...went in like a charm. Very happy to get it in with only 1500 miles on. Quality is top notch...machining is perfect.

BigRob
05-09-2009, 11:44 AM
james, did you get my pm?

beach
05-09-2009, 05:29 PM
This reminds me...mine is still sitting in the box, waiting. What a beautiful piece, even just sitting around;)

deputycrawford
05-10-2009, 04:57 PM
What a cool thread. I was on the "other" board and read some posts. I couldn't believe some of the bashing over there. I really like the catch can, product and thoughts on it. It has started me thinking I will add this to my stupidly long list of mods for my car. Again VERY COOL and will probably get one.

Jerry

UGotSmkd
05-11-2009, 04:30 PM
I am torn between the white (to match my car) and black, which goes with pretty much anything.

EcoBrick Bob
05-11-2009, 04:54 PM
I have 2 of the Billet cans on my 2 G8's. I give them a 5 out of 5!!! You don't need clamps on any of the hose fittings except the one James sends the clamp for on the front of the engine. We just drove our 09' from FL to IA - 1,600 mi... and there was a 1/2 inch of oil (puke) in the can..... This would have been in the intake manifold if there was no puke tank! Car now has 3300 mi. on it.....

Everyone who mods their car, or wants their car to perform properly, needs this mod!!!!

micheal0484
05-16-2009, 11:10 AM
Good, review of a product!

shaunfin24
05-23-2009, 10:52 AM
Just installed my catch can and it went great very very simple. As for Jamesbiz great company fast shipping and i couldnt complain at all. Thank you

Gris
05-23-2009, 11:44 AM
Sounds like such a good thing that I wonder why they don't come stock from the manufacturer?

Fatdaddy
05-23-2009, 11:48 AM
Install is easy, product is grrrr8.

Rican219
05-23-2009, 01:43 PM
How many have seen allot of oil?

1GXP4ME
05-26-2009, 01:33 PM
Are the brass fittings easily removed? I would buy a black can and use some black AN fittings and hose. Are they 3/8 NPT or 1/2?

TomPierce
05-26-2009, 01:35 PM
The fittings unscrew. I believe they are 3/8.

gearhead455
05-26-2009, 03:59 PM
I drove my car like a redheaded stepchild this past weekend $70 in gas just "tooling" around town. :devil:

I better get one sooner than later, 7 weeks out from my 5000 mile cross country road trip.

learjet60
05-27-2009, 04:45 PM
I just installed James' can (clear anodized) this afternoon. It took me perhaps half an hour and that's because I'm a noob and took a bit longer than most guys would identifying what was what. It was a very easy installation, although I got somewhat nervous that the supplied hose was too short and cut the front hose about an inch shorter that I would have preferred. It wasn't necessary as it turned out but I would have felt better personally if the supplied hose was a few inches longer.

The fit and finish of the catch can is top notch. The top of my can is engraved with the Billet Prototypes name and it adds a really nice touch.

My two complaints have been mentioned in earlier threads but I'm going to repeat them. The first complaint is that there were no instructions...wtf?? I found the instructions on the other G8board (and it is linked in an earlier post here) and printed them out. I think it would be prudent for James to do the same and include it with their cans!

My second complaint is the lack of a "solid" washer to go under the lock nut so the locking nut has more surface to hold the can. The slot in the catch can mounting arm is wide relative to the supplied lock nut and so a washer would be helpful to provide a more secure connection.

All in all, I'm very pleased with the BP catch can. A couple of easily addressed issues by BP would make it perfect.

(James also upgraded my shipping at his expense after a backorder delay, thank you!)

Copperhead
05-29-2009, 12:26 PM
I ordered one a few days ago. Looking forward to getting it installed.

MoonPie
05-31-2009, 08:17 PM
I ordered one a few days ago. Looking forward to getting it installed.

They are well worth the money, just emptied mine I had gotten a month's use out of and the nastiest black crap was in it. Money well spent.
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8310/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102

jamesbiz
06-04-2009, 06:29 PM
Hey guys, sorry I haven't been on here in awhile. Just renewed my sponsorship so you will see me until you get enough of me :)

i have had my can now for several months....the install was good used 1 clamp at the intake.....my finish was great can works great and does what it is made to do catch the oil....its a great product as well as the other billet he sells which i have
Thank you very much. I'm glad you like it as well as the other billet. Just remember that not many people have my other caps on their G8 yet ;)

just installed mine looks cool, but it didnt come with a hose clamp.

So if somebody can pm me with the answer to whether I need it or not, please let me know!

I thought the original ones actually didnt even come with one...I hope.
Sorry about that. The hose clamps did not get sent with 3 orders that I had on a very busy day of catching up with shipping out back orders. I sent out the clamps to everyone that let me know they didn't get it. How do you like it now?

Installed mine today...went in like a charm. Very happy to get it in with only 1500 miles on. Quality is top notch...machining is perfect.
Thank you and hope you enjoy it. Don't you love the sound the can makes when you unscrew the bottom? ;).

james, did you get my pm?
I checked and didn't see a PM. when did you send it? Haven't been on here in awhile.

This reminds me...mine is still sitting in the box, waiting. What a beautiful piece, even just sitting around;)
Put it on!!! lol poor thing probably feels useless sitting in that box.

What a cool thread. I was on the "other" board and read some posts. I couldn't believe some of the bashing over there. I really like the catch can, product and thoughts on it. It has started me thinking I will add this to my stupidly long list of mods for my car. Again VERY COOL and will probably get one.

Jerry
I hope the bashing wasn't about me?

I am torn between the white (to match my car) and black, which goes with pretty much anything.
Both will look perfect on your car. It's all your personal preference at this point. Either way you won't be disappointed no matter what route you go.

I have 2 of the Billet cans on my 2 G8's. I give them a 5 out of 5!!! You don't need clamps on any of the hose fittings except the one James sends the clamp for on the front of the engine. We just drove our 09' from FL to IA - 1,600 mi... and there was a 1/2 inch of oil (puke) in the can..... This would have been in the intake manifold if there was no puke tank! Car now has 3300 mi. on it.....

Everyone who mods their car, or wants their car to perform properly, needs this mod!!!!
I would include 4 clamps, but it would cost people extra, and I saw zero use in clamps for the other nipples. Plus I use a different hose now which grips even tighter.

Just installed my catch can and it went great very very simple. As for Jamesbiz great company fast shipping and i couldnt complain at all. Thank you
Couldn't complain about the customer either :)

Sounds like such a good thing that I wonder why they don't come stock from the manufacturer?
Because to many people are lazy and would not routinely check these. A few decades ago a few cars came with water injection... and people always forgot to fill the tank. They just feel it's easier this way, as most places don't care about the performance of the car and once the 36k miles is done, it's your problem and not theres anymore.

Install is easy, product is grrrr8.
lol cute ;)

Are the brass fittings easily removed? I would buy a black can and use some black AN fittings and hose. Are they 3/8 NPT or 1/2?
Sometimes I get them in there pretty tight, BUT I offer to not include them, and even discount the price. Makes things a lot simpler. And they are 3/8 NPT

I drove my car like a redheaded stepchild this past weekend $70 in gas just "tooling" around town. :devil:

I better get one sooner than later, 7 weeks out from my 5000 mile cross country road trip.
$70 in one weekend? wow.. that's worse then me and I only get 15mpg AVERAGE

They are well worth the money, just emptied mine I had gotten a month's use out of and the nastiest black crap was in it. Money well spent.

I've seen these things fill up very fast some times with stuff you would just NEVER want back in your engine :puke:

BlueJacket
06-04-2009, 06:32 PM
wow that's a lot of quotes. :)

jamesbiz
06-04-2009, 06:33 PM
I just installed James' can (clear anodized) this afternoon. It took me perhaps half an hour and that's because I'm a noob and took a bit longer than most guys would identifying what was what. It was a very easy installation, although I got somewhat nervous that the supplied hose was too short and cut the front hose about an inch shorter that I would have preferred. It wasn't necessary as it turned out but I would have felt better personally if the supplied hose was a few inches longer.

The fit and finish of the catch can is top notch. The top of my can is engraved with the Billet Prototypes name and it adds a really nice touch.

My two complaints have been mentioned in earlier threads but I'm going to repeat them. The first complaint is that there were no instructions...wtf?? I found the instructions on the other G8board (and it is linked in an earlier post here) and printed them out. I think it would be prudent for James to do the same and include it with their cans!

My second complaint is the lack of a "solid" washer to go under the lock nut so the locking nut has more surface to hold the can. The slot in the catch can mounting arm is wide relative to the supplied lock nut and so a washer would be helpful to provide a more secure connection.

All in all, I'm very pleased with the BP catch can. A couple of easily addressed issues by BP would make it perfect.

(James also upgraded my shipping at his expense after a backorder delay, thank you!)
Would a solid washer be better then the lock washer? I haven't had access to a G8 in person for quite awhile and no one ever complained so I kept everything as is. I included the lock washer so that the can didn't twist around. Not even sure if it's needed. I'm always open to suggestions on how to make my products as perfect as possible.
I stopped doing the engraving on top awhile ago, but people complained that they didn't get theirs ( even tho before people complained that they DID get theirs) so I decided to go back to putting the design on. I loved the design and missed it so I'm glad people like it too.

I have the instructions on my website and have the link on the purchase page of the catch can. Full color step by step. Figured it would be better then some black and white instructions sent with the can. This way people can really see what they are doing.
http://www.billetprototypes.com/G8_Catch_Can_Install.html

As far as the hose. I thought I actually included more then needed. If someone can give me EXACT length of the hose needed, I'd be glad to even pre cut both to length. Again, I just haven't had access to the car to be able to do it my self.

thank you for the compliments and constructive criticism :) The more people like you speak up, the better and better my products can be.

jamesbiz
06-04-2009, 06:34 PM
wow that's a lot of quotes. :)

lol to messy? :) figured it would be cleaner then me adding a dozen new posts to the thread .

BlueJacket
06-04-2009, 06:36 PM
lol to messy? :) figured it would be cleaner then me adding a dozen new posts to the thread .

No much better then a dozen replays. Just giving you a hard time. :nah:

jamesbiz
06-04-2009, 06:37 PM
No much better then a dozen replays. Just giving you a hard time. :nah:

i gotta admit lol it's the biggest multi quote I've ever done :)

MGMG8GT
06-04-2009, 06:48 PM
My catch can has been great. It catches oil, it doesn't move around, and the hoses do not fall off. In retrospect, I probably would have gone for something besides brass fittings, but the unit works just fine and the actual can is well machined.

GR8 Vino
06-05-2009, 08:04 PM
Great product!!! Looks great under the hood and works great. Serves a valuable purpose for those of us that like to invest in a car and keep it for 10, 15+ years.

UGotSmkd
06-05-2009, 09:00 PM
I have to give James' product a big thumbs up. The color was clean, and the machine work was top notch.

learjet60
06-06-2009, 04:14 PM
Would a solid washer be better then the lock washer? I haven't had access to a G8 in person for quite awhile and no one ever complained so I kept everything as is. I included the lock washer so that the can didn't twist around. Not even sure if it's needed. I'm always open to suggestions on how to make my products as perfect as possible.
I stopped doing the engraving on top awhile ago, but people complained that they didn't get theirs ( even tho before people complained that they DID get theirs) so I decided to go back to putting the design on. I loved the design and missed it so I'm glad people like it too.

I have the instructions on my website and have the link on the purchase page of the catch can. Full color step by step. Figured it would be better then some black and white instructions sent with the can. This way people can really see what they are doing.
http://www.billetprototypes.com/G8_Catch_Can_Install.html

As far as the hose. I thought I actually included more then needed. If someone can give me EXACT length of the hose needed, I'd be glad to even pre cut both to length. Again, I just haven't had access to the car to be able to do it my self.

thank you for the compliments and constructive criticism :) The more people like you speak up, the better and better my products can be.

IMO, a solid washer would be helpful. Because of the width of the mounting arm slot vs. the size of the locking nut, the nut doesn't have much surface area on the arm to put pressure against. It really is not a big deal as you know, but a solid washer would be helpful. I backed the lock nut off and put my own washer down before securing the lock nut. I don't know if the lock washer is necessary or not, but it doesn't hurt to have it. :)

I didn't realize you had instructions on your website James, but even a mention of it on a slip inside the box would have saved some time. You could even include the black &white instructions and include the installation link stating highly detailed color photos are available there...something to consider. I used the exact (excellent) instructions you mentioned above, but I found them by searching here and at the other G8board before finding them there.

James, the hose you sent was of adequate length. It just appeared to me that the remaining length of hose was going to be too short visually as I was preparing to cut the longer front hose. Because of this I cut the front one about an inch shorter than I would have otherwise. It turns out that if I would have cut the front hose an inch longer both hoses would have been perfect. That was my mistake, but if someone was less efficient routing their front hose, it could cause their back hose to be too short.

Again, I am completely happy with my BP Catch Can and would recommend it to anyone who is contemplating buying one. My G8 GT is black, and the clear annodized can looks great with the rest of the aluminum/stainless/billet items already in the engine compartment. :D I need to take and post pics for those who are curious!

Thanks again!

jamesbiz
06-06-2009, 04:26 PM
Thank you, and yes :) yes you do!