PDA

View Full Version : DexCool- use it or lose it?

wreckwriter
01-10-2009, 01:46 PM
Heard some bad things about GM's new DexCool anti-freeze. Since I'll have my rad hoses off soon, and I don't have much engine warranty left anyway, is it a better idea to switch to the old green stuff?

If so, what's the best way to really flush the system?

GRRRR8
01-10-2009, 01:52 PM
Use it. Better heat disipation properties, lasts longer. Just use distilled water so you dont form calcium deposits in radiator.

wreckwriter
01-10-2009, 01:55 PM
Use it. Better heat disipation properties, lasts longer. Just use distilled water so you dont form calcium deposits in radiator.

K, thanks.

UGotSmkd
01-10-2009, 01:59 PM
What about 50/50 Prestone mix for all makes?

GRRRR8
01-10-2009, 02:02 PM
I dont like the UNI coolants. I use the factory coolants except for green.

UGotSmkd
01-10-2009, 02:05 PM
What about Water Wetter or Purple Ice for an additive? I guess that would really apply to us with the humidity.

GRRRR8
01-10-2009, 02:28 PM
I use it in drag cars, but not too much in the daily drivers.

Chewy
01-10-2009, 02:29 PM
What about Water Wetter or Purple Ice for an additive? I guess that would really apply to us with the humidity.

That's really designed to be used with straight water.

I use Engine Ice in my bikes but they NEVER see cold temps. Engine Ice only protects to -25 I believe. Not that it gets that cold here.:wacko:

todds87ss
01-11-2009, 05:02 AM
Heard some bad things about GM's new DexCool anti-freeze. Since I'll have my rad hoses off soon, and I don't have much engine warranty left anyway, is it a better idea to switch to the old green stuff?

If so, what's the best way to really flush the system?

Tom,
I heard the same thing, but have been running Dex Cool since it first arrived on scene and the only problem I have had was when I tried to go green. Within 500 miles, my water pump gave out, a victim of changing chemistry. If you need/want to go green, make sure you get a new pump up front, and save the heartache.

edfiero
01-11-2009, 07:35 AM
Dex-Cool really isnt new. My 96 Impala had it. I did have some issues with that car where the coolant line to the heater got plugged up a couple of times. But after flushing the engine and radiator twice, I never had any more problems. I say USE IT.

BSmith
01-11-2009, 07:50 AM
A lot of people had issues with the DexCool, but it was related to the tablets that were included to put into the cooling system. They were clumping and clogging up heater cores. The problems were labeled as a DexCool problem, but the coolant itself is fine.

wreckwriter
01-11-2009, 07:56 AM
OK, I'll stick with it. Thanks guys!

bobyoung
01-15-2009, 11:26 PM
A few years ago there was a class action suit against GM for Dex cool involving 3.8 L Buicks and a few other cars, it was eating the head gaskets, I had one go in a 97 with about 67K on it but it was too old to collect anything. I don't know if it was because of the gasket material or the Dex Cool itself, I suspect the gasket material, but I didn't realize they still used it.

Executor999
02-25-2009, 09:42 AM
Damn, I found this thread too late. I just posted something about the DexCool lawsuits in Ask Charlie cuz I wanted to know more about the product. Had no idea about the lawsuits and the fuss until I googled it.

Cliffy
02-25-2009, 02:30 PM
I like the DEX-COOL, eccoing what Charlie said the coolant is supperior, stay away from the "mix with all" coolants. Not sure how charlie feels about this though, I would not take the coolant all the way to 150,000 miles before flushing it, might do it around 50-
60k miles. IMO.

ronbuick
02-25-2009, 09:01 PM
Toyota red I beleive is also a low silicate coolant, you might want to take a look at it
as well, personally I'm not a fan of dex-cool, when air is induced into the cooling system
for some whatever unknown reason that is what causes the brown looking muck that you sometimes see either floating in the rad or in the overflow. So if you do use the
Dex, make sure all air is absent from the system

Ron