PDA

View Full Version : Hi.

hotshot2003
08-15-2008, 06:12 AM
I'm glad we finally have a place to discuss information and real reviews on products without so much political influence from the owners of the board.

For those of you that do not know me, I'm an Electrical Engineer working for Air Liquide America Corp in their ALLEX Program(Air Liquide Leading Engineering eXcellence). In this program I will move to different locations and different positions every 5 months for a period of two years. I'm from Walker, Louisiana right outside of Baton Rouge and presently working just south of Baton Rouge. I graduated from LSU in May 2008.

My hobbies include car audio, golf, and basketball. I've been competing in car audio competitions since I was 16 years old and have had quite a successful run with it. For more on that check out my website: http://www.teamspead.net

I'm the crazy guy that tore apart my brand new car and installed almost 300 sq. feet of second skin audio sound deadener. I really enjoy good sound. Presently I am running a Kicker ZX850.4(I'm a member of Team Kicker, www.kicker.com), powering a set of Focal 165K2P's and a pair of Focal 165CVX Coax's. I just recently installed an Alpine PXE-H650 in the car and will be tuning with it in the coming weeks to see what kind of results I can get with it. I also have an Alpine PXA-H701 that I will try out and see if I can get better results with it vs the H650. Another Kicker amp and Kicker subs will be added soon. I'm keeping everything stealth so that the appearance of the car doesn't change but the sound is dramatically better.

My future plans for the car include adding a CarPC with navigation, music storage, bluetooth, and internet. I'm just waiting on the VIM for this project to begin. Hope this wasn't too long winded but I wanted you guys to know a little bit more about me. I look forward to sharing what I know and learning from all of you!

Chewy
08-15-2008, 06:16 AM
You made it! Sweet! :)

Welcome and enjoy. The sites a HUGE work in progress so bear with us.

GRRRR8
08-15-2008, 06:17 AM
Welcome! I love the audio articles. I was big into it in the 80s, then I just wanted to here my exhaust. I will be doing audio in this car!

-Ray-
08-15-2008, 07:19 AM
Welcome Matt!
Glad to have you, I appreciate having your experience on board.

Chewy
08-15-2008, 07:25 AM
Welcome! I love the audio articles. I was big into it in the 80s, then I just wanted to here my exhaust. I will be doing audio in this car!

They had music back then? :p

-Ray-
08-15-2008, 07:28 AM

Yeah, even as far back as the 70's! You know, Pink Floyd, Led Zepplin, the doors? :mad:
:D

GeorgeInNePa
08-15-2008, 08:55 AM
I'm glad we finally have a place to discuss information and real reviews on products without so much political influence from the owners of the board.

For those of you that do not know me, I'm an Electrical Engineer working for Air Liquide America Corp in their ALLEX Program(Air Liquide Leading Engineering eXcellence). In this program I will move to different locations and different positions every 5 months for a period of two years. I'm from Walker, Louisiana right outside of Baton Rouge and presently working just south of Baton Rouge. I graduated from LSU in May 2008.

My hobbies include car audio, golf, and basketball. I've been competing in car audio competitions since I was 16 years old and have had quite a successful run with it. For more on that check out my website: http://www.teamspead.net

I'm the crazy guy that tore apart my brand new car and installed almost 300 sq. feet of second skin audio sound deadener. I really enjoy good sound. Presently I am running a Kicker ZX850.4(I'm a member of Team Kicker, www.kicker.com (http://www.kicker.com)), powering a set of Focal 165K2P's and a pair of Focal 165CVX Coax's. I just recently installed an Alpine PXE-H650 in the car and will be tuning with it in the coming weeks to see what kind of results I can get with it. I also have an Alpine PXA-H701 that I will try out and see if I can get better results with it vs the H650. Another Kicker amp and Kicker subs will be added soon. I'm keeping everything stealth so that the appearance of the car doesn't change but the sound is dramatically better.

My future plans for the car include adding a CarPC with navigation, music storage, bluetooth, and internet. I'm just waiting on the VIM for this project to begin. Hope this wasn't too long winded but I wanted you guys to know a little bit more about me. I look forward to sharing what I know and learning from all of you!

So does that mean you can't drive the diesel trains? :hmm:

I keed, I keed!

Welcome!

hotshot2003
08-15-2008, 09:35 AM
Yeah, even as far back as the 70's! You know, Pink Floyd, Led Zepplin, the doors? :mad:
:D

All 3 of those are on the CD I presently have in my car. Good stuff! A lot of today's music just doesn't do it for me!

Chewy
08-15-2008, 09:39 AM
I know I look forward to seeing how you do in the comps with the G8! :thumbsup:

hotshot2003
08-15-2008, 10:17 AM
As much as I hate to say it...Sound Quality competitions are so political and opinionated that its not my utmost desire to hit a ton of shows with the car. I'm building it for personal satisfaction and going for a stealth install. Being that I worked for a shop for 5 years and have sponsors I would be in the pro class which generally requires a more extravagant installation than is my goal with this car. That isn't to say that I couldn't do well with this and win most local/regional events with it but at the national level where I've competed in the past in SPL I don't see a car with no visible changes having a chance in hell of bringing home first.

Not only would it do bad in the install/creativity portion but keeping everything stealth severely limits the capabilities of the sound. Building kick panels or A-pillars, having the sub in a different location(other than hidden in the tire well), etc are all things that would better the sound and subtract from the daily use of my car. I'll get it as good as I can but I kind of like not seeing any visual changes to the car. No one knows anything has changed until they listen to it :)

BFisch06
08-15-2008, 10:28 AM
All 3 of those are on the CD I presently have in my car. Good stuff! A lot of today's music just doesn't do it for me!

You actually call that music?

:p

hotshot2003
08-15-2008, 10:31 AM
Haha, good point. I get some weird looks when people get in my car and I have 70's and 80's music playing. I'm only 22 but I love older music.

EC-Ryder
08-15-2008, 12:21 PM
U sound like a kick a$$ fun guy!

I’m looking forward to some pics of the project!

I don’t know were Charlie and Ray are coming from, but I don’t recall even having electricity back in the 1700’-1800’s let alone cd...well, not the music kind anyway! LOL!

I think they’re suffering from a senior moment because they’re too young for Alzheimer’s.

Cheers!

GRRRR8
08-15-2008, 02:16 PM

Yeah they played it on the skin flute!:spank:

EcoBrick Bob
08-15-2008, 06:13 PM
Since you seem to be into killing sound.... is there any form of sound blankets that I can put around the engine compartment of my 502 boat engine??? Wife complains more about hearing herself in the boat than she does with the DOD in the G8. ( Captain's call is off and there is lots of accessory and drive noise).. Sorry about hyjacking this thread for my personal comfort....

RRM

hotshot2003
08-18-2008, 11:55 AM
I would think Anthony(owner of second skin audio) could answer your question better than me. He has some materials designed to work for your application but he knows more of them than I do. The website is www.secondskinaudio.com The business number goes to his cell if he isn't in the office. Leave a message with your name and number if you don't get an answer and he'll call you back. Mention that Matt Sibley told you to call. He's been very helpful to me over the years and really knows his sound deadening!

Chewy
08-18-2008, 12:01 PM
Since you seem to be into killing sound.... is there any form of sound blankets that I can put around the engine compartment of my 502 boat engine??? Wife complains more about hearing herself in the boat than she does with the DOD in the G8. ( Captain's call is off and there is lots of accessory and drive noise).. Sorry about hyjacking this thread for my personal comfort....

RRM

Have you looked into lining your bilge with aluminized(sp?) 1" thick foam? Don't use the non coated stuff as it just deteriorates with heat. Stuff works great.

Of course you don't want to do the bilge floor... duh...

Our last cruiser had twin 454's in it and they were in the main part of the boat and that boat was amazingly quiet inside under full tilt.

Check it!

I bet overtons has it.

Chris

hotshot2003
08-18-2008, 03:41 PM
My guess is he would recommend these products though...

http://secondskinaudio.com/thermal-insulation/heat-wave-pro.php

Damplifier Pro possibly, and maybe the Firewall spray:
http://secondskinaudio.com/thermal-acoustic-insulation/firewall.php

It is water based though so I don't know how well it would work if the applicable area gets really wet. Call Ant though, he'll be glad to try and help you.

Chewy
08-18-2008, 03:49 PM
My guess is he would recommend these products though...

http://secondskinaudio.com/thermal-insulation/heat-wave-pro.php

Damplifier Pro possibly, and maybe the Firewall spray:
http://secondskinaudio.com/thermal-acoustic-insulation/firewall.php

It is water based though so I don't know how well it would work if the applicable area gets really wet. Call Ant though, he'll be glad to try and help you.

That would totally work as long as it dries fast and doesn't allow mold and mildew... Boat apps can be a little different.

Chris